• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: I’m sure the next God of War will be PS4 PS5, of course it will!

kadab

giphy.gif

BaneIsPain

Since it releases this year or next year, GOW will be likely cross gen.
PS4 still has some life now since PS5 not available to all.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If he knew I doubt he'd be allowed to so carelessly reveal things Sony hasn't yet.

He's not affiliated with them in any way anymore.

But yeh, all the cross gen stuff needs to die ASAP. I want to start seeing games being designed around the new hardware from the ground up, not stuff built around a last gen console.

I have learnt on GAF that cross-gen games are utter shit, though.

The fact is that they would be better if they weren't cross gen.

I don't see how this is up for debate.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
No one is surprised. Won't look much different than the other one. Some raytraced reflections thrown in for bells and whistles.

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
Don't think so, it's not even been shown properly which leads me to believe it's getting in released in 2022. Just in time for enough PS5 owners to sell it to and to boost sales even more.

Hungry Germany GIF by Bayerischer Rundfunk

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Perfect if true.
I don't have a PS5 and don't want it right now (even If I could find one).
Stop being selfish people, we don't all have a fuc*** PS5 !

crozier

You know, at first I was all for cross-gen but after seeing how games like Immortals and Cyberpunk run on the PS4...

They need to program these games for the PS4 exclusively then port it to PS5 late in development.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Perfect if true.
I don't have a PS5 and don't want it right now (even If I could find one).
Stop being selfish people, we don't all have a fuc*** PS5 !

but my box is better so I deserve it more...

For reals I think it’s a good move, keeping your fans happy for 1st few years is the way to go. Not everyone wants to upgrade right away.

Fake

People can't deny the still high install base of PS4.

Not to mention, as shit as making a crossgen game to take the generation over PS5, the upgrade will sell the PS5 probably because of the benefics (4k, 60fps, RT 'if have).

RGB'D

Nothing wrong with this. But it's pretty funny to see the pivoting that some users are doing now that SONY has adopted the same practice as MS. I will likely be holding onto my GOW edition PS4 pro for quite a long while. But it's fitting to play GOW2 on my GoW edition Ps4 pro anyways. With the PS5 supply issues, people would be up in arms anyways if no one could play it

Unknown?

For reals I think it’s a good move, keeping your fans happy for 1st few years is the way to go. Not everyone wants to upgrade right away.
Sony consoles have always been that way though. They've always had exclusives and big games release after the new hardware is already out.

Well, it depends when will it release and how big install base will it be by then. Under 12M - crossgen, over - I would go PS5 exclusive.

Just look how Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls were massacred in sales.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think the key thing people who want Sony or MS to “move on” are forgetting is that 2020 was a great year for sales of current hardware. Normally, it’s sort of easy to move on because the last 2-3 years are a decline. But now, the flu is going on, and the government decided we aren’t allowed to go out and enjoy ourselves. So now Sony and MS have millions of brand new customers, who just bought the system, and it stands to reason that they will want to give those new customers solid support.

yurinka

Last year Ryan said PS4 had back then around 100 million active users, so I think they won't want to miss that. To make it crossgen would make sens specially considering the PS5 supply constrains.

But personally, even if I couldn't get a PS5 I'd prefer it to be PS5 exclusive, to make sure it really delivers tech wise. The 2018 game still looks great today, so they don't need to make a big leap tech wise to be the best in class. And well, Morales looks great both on PS4 and PS5 so I assume Santa Monica could achieve the same.

If it ends being crossgen with a free next gen upgrade will be fine for me.

Don't think so, it's not even been shown properly which leads me to believe it's getting in released in 2022. Just in time for enough PS5 owners to sell it to and to boost sales even more.
Sony didn't show it because they had to market several other huge exclusives to be released last year and this year before GoW, and to market the console launch too. These were too much bullets, to they had to save some of them for later.

Now they released the console and the 2020 games, people is so hyped that they have supply constraint issues even if they are shipping consoles worldwide in gaming history record levels, so once they release their Q1 exclusives and solve the supply issues it will be time to push the hype again showin (maybe for summer/E3) gameplay of their main H2 2021 hits GoW and Horizon being just a few months from launch so won't need to worry about downgrades and similar plus to announce some 2022 game (maybe Days Gone 2, TLOU2 factions, Spider Man 2 or the new San Diego studio game, probably an Uncharted).

Santa Monica always needed more or less the same time to release their games, will have enough time to release it on 2021.

David Jaffe doesn't work on games anymore, so who cares when or where he believes stuff will come out?
People cares about what he says or believes becausee he is the creator of God of War and Twisted Metal, and he still has many friends working at Sony in top positions, and specially on Sony Santa Monica. He isn't a random internet user like you.

Last edited:

Holammer

PS4 version makes too much sense.
Doesn't take Mr Scientist Man to explain that releasing the game on a platform with an install base of only a couple of million machines that you're sending a game out to die by releasing it as a PS5 exclusive. A very expensive AAA title on top of that.

ql7lo5v.png

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yeah, that will be a disappointment. No need to be hyperbolic or act like the game will suck, but no need to shrug it off either. Sony's pompous talk of generations will haunt them as long as it needs to if they won't actually stand by it. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

Jethalal

Banned
Why? Would they have drastically better gameplay that wasn't possible on PS4?
Haven't played GoW 2018 but in UC4, a lot of climbing is basically a faux loading screen. I imagine even in GoW there would be similar scenarios which they can discard due to better CPU and SSD.

PooBone

GoW 2018 looks amazing on PS4 non pro and is overall an insanely well made game.

Visuals is really not something that I'd expect them to fail at, nor with other things, for that matter.

So, uh, not a problem at all.
Don't discount scope. I'm sure lots of cuts were made and edges trimmed to make GOW look as incredible as it does.

I think you should wait for official news instead to make assumptions on people opinion.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sony consoles have always been that way though. They've always had exclusives and big games release after the new hardware is already out.

so have most, last gen turned consoles into PCs. Now we can benefit from that change.

Kerotan

Hopefully April 2022 and by then there could be 30M PS5 so Sony won't be missing out too much. If it's this year it makes sense to be cross gen.

PooBone

What is this supposed to mean?

Scope of a game - ie the size of the maps/worlds, number of characters, amount of dialogue, length, etc. That little Earth lake that Jormungandr (sp?) lives in could have been massive with more offshoots, there could have been living foliage reacting to wind, etc.. Also, the parallel dimensions could have had more meat to them. That's all stuff new hardware can assist with.... not just working to make it look sicker than it already does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom