• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: I’m sure the next God of War will be PS4 PS5, of course it will!

Chukhopops

Sony’s Jim Ryan believes in generations and wants to offer something new on PS5

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Also never forget this thread:

It’s quite peculiar, I recognize similar avatars but the opinions expressed about cross gen are completely different... so many genuine changes of heart in a mere six months.

Concern

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

yurinka

I'm not claiming insider info. And if he does have friends at top positions in Sony, don't you think they'd know, as professionals with an agenda, to keep their info close to the chest around such a loudmouthed internet podium-speaker?
As I dev who worked more than a decade on games, including in a top publisher, oficially we all keep our secrets.

But with close personal friends from other studios we tell in what we are working, or in what another studio we heard is working on. So people ends knowing in what projects are working most teams and some details, issues they have/had, etc. specially in studios where you have more friends (typically those where you have worked). This info, specially if may compromise some particular, never goes public at least no crearly, even if devs personally tell each other.

This time, he mentioned it in a way that maybe means it's his personal opinion, maybe it's someone told him. In any case, if the game is crossgen or not isn't something super important to keep it secret other than slightly affect a bit their marketing campaign schedule because if it's crossgen for real means they planned to announce it later, maybe to boost a bit more the PS5 hype.

Last edited:

driqe

This will never happen, but what will be peoples reaction if GoW:R releases on PS5 first and then on PS4 6 months later.

In a strange way some sony executive could make sense out of this proposition.
Yep. Skipping a 100m install base when u cant even buy a ps5.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's quite possible it started as a PS5 exclusive, but high sales of PS4 in 2020 + limited PS5 availability + very high price of PS5 + a global depression = port what you can.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony’s Jim Ryan believes in generations and wants to offer something new on PS5​

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Also never forget this thread:

It’s quite peculiar, I recognize similar avatars but the opinions expressed about cross gen are completely different... so many genuine changes of heart in a mere six months.
We believe in generations.
I thought MS had no exclusives.

God of War should be PS5 only since only Sony believes in generations.
Nobody at Sony -and Jim Ryan in particular- never said they were going to avoid crossgen games.

To believe in generations doesn't mean that they won't do crossgen games. In fact in that 'we believe in generations' interview he never said they won't do crossgen games, what he said is that PS4 had a ton of active users and continues selling well so they plan to continue supporting PS4 for at least a couple of years more.

And that he wanted PS5 games to showcase the next gen unique features: SSD for super fast loading, DualSense features, raytracing, 3D audio and so on. Stuff that crossgen games can showcase while their PS4 versions of these games can be great without them, as we saw in Morales.

Where are the fuckers who slagged off micro for their policy on halo infinite? All Sonys big titles are xgen too it seems.
Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Destruction All Stars, Returnal are confirmed to be next gen only. And unless they announce otherwise, Gran Turismo 7 and God of War Raknarok too.

Ragnarok is already confirmed cross-gen.

The real question for me is: is it going to be a proper sequel or another 'standalone experience' ala Miles Morales? (I wonder the same about Horizon Forbidden West).

I remember one of the devs spoke about working on a literal Ragnarok DLC.

Either way, it'll be a day one..but I'd prefer a proper follow up.
FUD bullsiht. GoW Ragnarok only is announced for PS5 and always talked about it as a game sequel, never has mentioned to be a DLC because Cory Barlog always said since the start that they never planned and never weren't going to do any DLC for GoW 2018.

Last edited:

Fake

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
It's quite possible it started as a PS5 exclusive, but high sales of PS4 in 2020 + limited PS5 availability + very high price of PS5 + a global depression = port what you can.
Im Out See Ya GIF by ADWEEK

Most likely was already being made for PS4 and just jazzed it up some for ps5 like spider man MM

Sony never said they were going to avoid crossgen games.

To believe in generations doesn't mean that they won't do crossgen games. In fact in that interview he never said they won't do crossgen games, what they say is that PS4 had a ton of active users and continue selling well so they plan to continue supporting for at least a couple of years more. And that he wanted PS5 games to take advantage of the next gen unique features: SSD for super fast loading, DualSense features, 3D audio and so on. Stuff that crossgen games can use as we saw in games like Miles Morales.

Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Destruction All Stars, Returnal are confirmed to be next gen only. And unless they announce otherwise, Gran Turismo 7 and God of War Raknarok too.
I recall quite a bit of vitriol when a certain company openly stated they would continue to support multiple generations of their hardware. Quite a bit of laugher at that position as well. Now Sony is doing cross gen and that's perfectly fine. Well I agree it is perfectly fine I just find the double standard odd.

Chukhopops

Sony never said they were going to avoid crossgen games.

To believe in generations doesn't mean that they won't do crossgen games. In fact in that interview he never said they won't do crossgen games, what they say is that PS4 had a ton of active users and continue selling well so they plan to continue supporting for at least a couple of years more. And that he wanted PS5 games to take advantage of the next gen unique features: SSD for super fast loading, DualSense features, 3D audio and so on. Stuff that crossgen games can use as we saw in games like Miles Morales.

How do you interpret « In many cases, we can’t take everybody with us from previous consoles into [a next generation experience],” Lempel tells Keighley. “You need new hardware, you need new devices to experience what these developers want you to experience.” »?

yurinka

Jesus, the PS5 has been launched for two months and people are already going on about how Sony broke their promise of 'believing in generation'. Some gamers are so fucking dumb.
Sony never said they weren't going to make crossgen games. In that interview they said the opposite, that they were going to support PS4 for years.

How do you interpret « In many cases, we can’t take everybody with us from previous consoles into [a next generation experience],” Lempel tells Keighley. “You need new hardware, you need new devices to experience what these developers want you to experience.” »?
That in the context of a PR interview to hype their new console he mentions that 'in many cases' (so not in all games) games need to be exclusive because they use a next gen only new technology in an important way that basically would break the experience without it and provides a good example -the only one we know until now other than Astro's DualSense support- which is the dimensions swap in Ratchet.

Later he adds some accesory stuff like DualSense, 3D audio or raytracing, that as we know it's accesory and doesn't matter when the games are released in the previous gen without them.

He never said in this interview that they won't do crossgen games. Same goes with Jim's 'we believe in generations' interview, where he never says they won't do crossgen games and instead says they will continue supporting PS4 for at least a couple of years. And he'd like to see games to showcase the next gen features/technology.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
who cares? Everybody will be able to play and enjoy.
It’s funny you should ask... Quite a lot of people who posted in this thread, actually.

And this one.

Those shit-takes still make me laugh reading them back...

MS: No next-gen exclusive the first two years (so cross between Xbox One and Xbox Series).

Sony: All first-party launch titles for PS5 are exclusives (so no PS4 version).

Let's see which one cater more sales in November.

They dont give a fuck about new games, they want your gamepass money and its working for them.

Thankfully we still have and Nintendo and Sony.

It is not common before and only MS is doing it this time.
Sony first-party won't release on PS4 like previous gens (PS4 first-party games didn't release on PS3... same for PS2).

I think you are delusional if you think the PS5 isn't launching with PS5-only games.

Who even wants that? You just bought a brand new next gen system for a reason, and it wasn't to be limited to what was possible in the previous generation.

The last PS4 first-party release is Ghost.
After that every AAA first-party game will be PS5 only.

That is how Sony makes money with both hardware and software sales.... one push the other.

People needs to stop that ideia that because MS do something Sony will do too lol
Sony has it own plans not related with what plans MS has.

Maybe with Microsoft it happens every generation. Sony didn't release Knack or Killzone Shadow Fall on PS3, they didn't release Resistance: Fall of Man, Genji: Days of the Blade or Untold Legends Dark Kingdom on PS2, etc., etc. By the way I love how you mentioned all third party games saying "this happens every generation" lol.

Microsoft is a joke. After 20 years they still dont understand the console market and their role as a plattform owner.

Nothing new? Sony does not operate like this. They didn't release Knack or Killzone Shadow Fall on PS3, they didn't release Resistance: Fall of Man, Genji: Days of the Blade or Untold Legends Dark Kingdom on PS2, etc. And those are just the launch titles.

Gave PlayStation the crown before released well done

They achieved that number (PS4 sales) with first party studios that immediately cut the cord with the last gen console.

As clear as next gen after PS5 being PS6.

Sony had "left Behind" the previous gen users, every generation. And they are rewarded with 3 consoles in the top four best selling consoles of all times. You don't change what worked.

Microsoft is only changing because they haven't been succeeding. They are coming in third place and had no choice but to abandon traditional practices.

What a disingenuous statement. The generationless model (outside of the PC world where you can buy and assemble all your parts yourselves) is about increasing revenue and profit margins and Sony is the greedy af one :LOL:.

Abandoning console users are droughts before the new system comes out is not what they do (Sony kept swinging at the tail end of ALL their console generations hence you got TLoU at the end of last generation, GT4 at the end of the previous, and many other big titles... are GoT and TLoU2 now... they even made exclusive titles for the previous generation when the new generation was already out).

Sony has always had long generations very well supported with software before and after the new generation titles are out, but they use their first party studios to make sure gamers get the best out of the new generation machines as soon as possible. A cross generation title costs a lot more to make or screws over the new console or the old console. Consoles are not just locked down PC, I want to see developers also focusing on the new console while I can also carry over my previous, maybe enhanced, library with BC (software is the biggest investment after all).

They left 100+ million behind when PS2 launched, 150 million behind when the PS3 launched, 90ish million with the PS4.

They're not changing it up this time either.

So I won't be buying an Xbox Next Gen either

This cross generational thing is the bane of actual advancement. I hate it. It was a problem for 360 to Xbox One, it will probably do the same.

MS has been saying this all along and I didn’t believe it. If true, wtf. RIP Xbox

You can’t push physics, ai, world interaction by limiting yourself to 2013

17538327347230.jpg

554422_msmmm_st_pksht_ps4_lt_pegi_20200914.jpg

OIP.NE3H8S4rsCIeWt7oVwIPwAHaHZ

443142031ae202de-1200x675.jpg

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I like how people are pissed the next God of War is cross gen.

But where was your outrage playing 2018 God of War, a game with gameplay mechanics possible on PS2/PS3 generation?

This is what you get when you don't value gameplay. Sony knows how important graphics are so they don't see the need to put the CPU through it's paces.

TLDR: You get what you deserve.

GametimeUK

I think games can scale well across multi platforms and generations. I would say The Witcher 3 on PS4 isn't compromised since a Switch version exists. I bet if they were announced at the same time people would have been crying that the PS4 was held back by Switch.

Following on from that, I do infact hope God of War is a PS5 game dialed back suit PS4 as opposed to being a PS4 game first and beefed up.

My 2 cents.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It’s funny you should ask... Quite a lot of people who posted in this thread, actually.

And this one.

17538327347230.jpg

That is cute, other people seems to live rent free in other people’s heads. I spent some time reading the XSX and PS5 OT’s and other dedicated platform threads and the XSX one spent the last few pages back and forth complaining about Sony fanboys being mean and picking fights :LOL:.

At least include the post I was responding too, this is like Daily Mail/The Sun quality reporting, but hey fill your boots.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
That is cute, other people seems to live rent free in other people’s heads. I spent some time reading the XSX and PS5 OT’s and other dedicated platform threads and the XSX one spent the last few pages back and forth complaining about Sony fanboys being mean and picking fights :LOL:.
A cross generation title costs a lot more to make or screws over the new console or the old console.

How is it mean to quote what you said lmao?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Perfect if true.
I don't have a PS5 and don't want it right now (even If I could find one).
Stop being selfish people, we don't all have a fuc*** PS5 !
Wait, PS5 owners who want games to be bleeding edge on the system they just bought are being selfish because there are people who want to have games designed to not utilize the key features of the new system so they can play them on 7 year old tech? I would think people like you are being selfish as well, perhaps moreso.

I would be fine if they focused on PS5 and then ported down to PS4.

Last edited:

At least include the post I was responding too, this is like Daily Mail/The Sun quality reporting, but hey fill your boots.
"Don't quote my words, that's like the Daily Mail/The Sun."

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A cross generation title costs a lot more to make or screws over the new console or the old console.

How is it mean to quote what you said lmao?

CyberPunk 2077 (see PC performance vs Xbox One/PS4/low end PC performance) or Spider-man: Miles Morales, showing both ends of the spectrum. I stand by what I said: cross generation titles tend to end up costing more to make if you create two full games in parallel or screwing over either the early adopter (HW is not used to its full potential) or the last generation users (game does not get properly optimised or changed to use the previous generation capability the best).

Or more concisely: min specs matter...
8Dlxa3D.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"Don't quote my words, that's like the Daily Mail/The Sun."
Quote them with context and do not try to stretch things trying to make a point. You can find a safe space thread to complain about the mean fanboys or you can discuss honestly here or you can do both. So much choice.

Banjo64

cumsessed
CyberPunk 2077 (see PC performance vs Xbox One/PS4/low end PC performance) or Spider-man: Miles Morales, showing both ends of the spectrum. I stand by what I said: cross generation titles tend to end up costing more to make if you create two full games in parallel or screwing over either the early adopter (HW is not used to its full potential) or the last generation users (game does not get properly optimised or changed to use the previous generation capability the best).

Or more concisely: min specs matter...
8Dlxa3D.jpg
If you’re going to quote me, at least quote the quote I originally quoted. This is like Daily Express level reporting / the Star’s page 3.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you’re going to quote me, at least quote the quote I originally quoted. This is like Daily Express level reporting / the Star’s page 3.
:LOL:, picking up a fight out of nowhere, not reading what people write back (as if discussion was something you were looking for instead of trying to stir shit and piss people off for the lulz)... oh well, one more thing to go discuss in the safe space thread I guess.

If you think you are picking on someone happy if the next GoW were to be cross gen you are delusional, but entertaining :).

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So is the consensus now that cross gen games hold back the software potential? I like that Sony fans are sticking to their guns here.

Personally, I'm not fully convinced yet. While I think games like Halo Infinite are a good example of signs that a game could be held back, I look at Cyberpunk and the huge difference between consoles and PC and think maybe if the right studio can pull it off. I mean Cyberpunk basically worked in the opposite direction. The PC version basically nerfed last gen console versions. I think maybe it depends on where the developer's priorities lie.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
They released 2 or 3 cross gen games which is pretty par for the course. Lots of exclusive next gen stuff coming. There was no technical reason for Sackboy or Miles Morales to be next gen only so why not let PS4 owners experience them too?
We aren’t taking about launch games here. We are talking about 2021 launches, or maybe later. If they want they sales of the last install base, I don’t want to hear shit about the value of “generations” (a god of war available only on PS5 would only increase PS5 sales). No, it’s about money, same shit MS is doing but AT LEAST MS was completely transparent about it.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Wait, is all of this fanboy gloating really based on David Jaffe just randomly spitting out his guess on God of War being cross-gen during one of this streams?

If so, you Xbox guys are getting really desperate for a "win." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

taizuke

I don't have a problem with the next God of War releasing on both PS4 and PS5. Like many have said these games (including Horizon: FW) are expensive and releasing exclusively on a console with a low install base doesn't make sense. That said, it does sting a little given Sony's messaging of "We believe in generations".

What I'm a little confused by is the decision to make Miles Morales cross-gen but not Demon's Souls?

Quote them with context and do not try to stretch things trying to make a point. You can find a safe space thread to complain about the mean fanboys or you can discuss honestly here or you can do both. So much choice.
What's out of context?

Sony has always had long generations very well supported with software before and after the new generation titles are out, but they use their first party studios to make sure gamers get the best out of the new generation machines as soon as possible. A cross generation title costs a lot more to make or screws over the new console or the old console. Consoles are not just locked down PC, I want to see developers also focusing on the new console while I can also carry over my previous, maybe enhanced, library with BC (software is the biggest investment after all).
Explain the context. This is NeoGAF where hurfing and blurfing doesn't save you form your own words being thrown in your face. Your opinion PREVIOUSLY is clear as day and now its done a 180 degree turn. Explain the context. It's okay to say your opinion has changed and now you have an appreciation for how MS is doing cross-gen since now your favorite plastic box is doing it. That's okay. We already know that's the case.

And as far as a safe space, you're going to need to do a bit better than that. Whining about the Xbox thread complaining about Sony fanboys while the Next gen thread is about 3000 pages of 4000 of Sony fanboys complaining about Xbox fanboys is a bit rich. And I've got both next gen consoles, both current gen consoles and have no need to console war or defend a plastic box and billion dollar company. You on the other hand....

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
Jesus, the PS5 has been launched for two months and people are already going on about how Sony broke their promise of 'believing in generation'. Some gamers are so fucking dumb.
Except a brand new God of War isn’t a launch game, not a launch “window” game. We are looking at late 2021 earliest. If I can play the new God of War a year after I bought my PS5, on my PS4 pro, why did I spend 500 plus tax again? Oh right, because Sony said they fucking believe in generations.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So is the consensus now that cross gen games hold back the software potential? I like that Sony fans are sticking to their guns here.

Personally, I'm not fully convinced yet. While I think games like Halo Infinite are a good example of signs that a game could be held back, I look at Cyberpunk and the huge difference between consoles and PC and think maybe if the right studio can pull it off. I mean Cyberpunk basically worked in the opposite direction. The PC version basically nerfed last gen console versions. I think maybe it depends on where the developer's priorities lie.

It is not impossible to make two full new games; one optimised for the low end HW and the other optimised around the high end HW, but it is a big investment of money and it may still be gameplay changes limiting (say XSX title having to run on Xbox One base with the gulf in CPU and memory).

It is also possible to take a game, add raytraced reflections, shadows, etc... improve textures quality, increase rendering resolution, add some more objects on screen and/or tweak level of detail and draw distance settings, and/or up the framerate to give it a next generation coat of polish and some people may even like the output (Spider-man Remastered does not look like shit)... even in that case, is the game built around/maxes the high end HW it is running on as if it had been built only around that spec (hence the “min specs matter” comment

In many if not most scenarios, there will not be two games fully developed in parallel and I think the game will either underuse the more powerful HW (that does not mean it looks like crap again) or run poorly or the low end machines. I buy new console mostly for new games built around what the generation brings as USP (wasting R&D time and QA testing budget in supporting many hardware platforms is hardly benefiting the new console version I was looking for... the laptop or the iPhone can already provide the cross generation forever experience, gaming consoles offer a unique selling point and making them closed boxes Windows PC kills it).
Doubtful how useful it has been to dedicate time to develop the PS4 version at all of some of those titles... we will see the PS4 version sales of these games if they are perceived as PS5 games really (did not make the day for Miles Morales).

If the next God of War is cross gen with PS4 it does it excite me as much as a PS5 only version. I could understand it if they had difficulties ramping up PS5 production and thought there was little point giving upgrade incentives to people that could not upgrade to PS5 even if they wanted to.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I believe this man. If anyone to be trusted about this ,its him.

On a side note.

God of war came out at a time where i was at an all time low.

And without getting spychological ,this game took my mind off the negative .

On for that it will be always remembered.

Thank you jaffe for this experience.

Self

Honestly, I can't see how GoW is not going cross-gen. The franchise is just to big/important and the install base of PS4 is too huge. I can see GoW3 going PS5 only, but that's it.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

And this one.

17538327347230.jpg

Dallas Check This Out GIF

Magog.

Banned
I believe this man. If anyone to be trusted about this ,its him.

On a side note.

God of war came out at a time where i was at an all time low.

And without getting spychological ,this game took my mind off the negative .

On for that it will be always remembered.

Thank you jaffe for this experience.

Believe what? He's guessing. If he actually had inside knowledge he wouldn't have said anything since he would be betraying the confidence of whoever told him.

yurinka

I like how people are pissed the next God of War is cross gen.

But where was your outrage playing 2018 God of War, a game with gameplay mechanics possible on PS2/PS3 generation?

This is what you get when you don't value gameplay. Sony knows how important graphics are so they don't see the need to put the CPU through it's paces.

TLDR: You get what you deserve.
Jaffe thinks it will be crossgen, but it may be just his personal guess and he may be wrong. As of now the game has only been announced for PS5, so the most likely is that the game would be PS5 only.

Other than that regarding the next GoW game we only know it's a direct sequel of the 2018 one and that will be released on 2021.

Regarding gameplay, GoW 2018 was a fresh new take on the genre's gameplay, making an important change compared to their previous games, while Platinum and Capcom basically keep repeating and tweaking the same Bayonetta 1 and DMC formula in all their games.

In any case, being something new or that couldn't be made before doesn't matter it's better or good. So it's stupid to imply a game or gameplay is bad or wrong because it uses solid gameplay that people likes instead of experimenting with different stuf. GoW 2018 had top tier gameplay, it's one of the best games in the history of this genre in terms of gameplay. This is one of the reasons of why it won so many GOTY awards.

This generation only maybe DMC5 (and Bayonetta 2, if you count it as current gen being originally a WiiU game) can be compared and depending on personal tastes some people will tell you a game or another are better, because each one has its own style and each person has its own tastes.

Now please list some Switch/PS4/PS5/XBO/XSX/PC examples of games with gameplay mechanics that were not possible on PS2/PS3 generation. Or a game of this or similar genre with way better gameplay than GoW 2018.

Last edited:
Top Bottom