• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: I’m sure the next God of War will be PS4 PS5, of course it will!

That and it's perhaps Alanah Pearce's first literary masterpiece.

Odds are stacking against it. Jaffe must be glad he is out of the shit storm.

Last edited:

Alebrije

There will be a lot more PS4 on homes than PS5 by the time GOWR releases . Also played GOW on base PS4 and was great talking about gameplay and performance.

So it will be a mistake release this game only to PS5. Pretty sure the studio will deliver the best GOWR for PS4 , PS4 Pro and PS5. They are not CDPR.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not shocking if I am being honest. The original GOW2 initially just released on PS2 in 2007, that skipped PS3 at launch. This is better than that atleast and why would Sony not exploit such a large userbase of PS4.

This is a good point that I never thought of. And I LOVED God of War 2 on the PS2.

LordOfChaos

He doesn't work with them anymore, and Jim Ryan has /not/ pretty much said as much. He said the PS4 would be supported for years, but did not preclude PS5 exclusives. We don't know either way about GoW yet.

Shmunter

Jaffe is irrelevant and needs to stop talking out of his ass. He doesn't know how to make a good game and his time after Sony proves it. He doesn't know what mechanics Ragnarok uses. If it requires an SSD to make the game work it won't come to PS4.
Jesus Wept, I’m the first wanting cross gen to die but your post attacking Jaffe is below the belt - for what?

reinking

Gold Member
If it was PS5 exclusive the narrative would be Sony is anti-consumer and leaving millions of PS4 users behind. Something something generations.

Ragnarok is already confirmed cross-gen.

The real question for me is: is it going to be a proper sequel or another 'standalone experience' ala Miles Morales? (I wonder the same about Horizon Forbidden West).

I remember one of the devs spoke about working on a literal Ragnarok DLC.

Either way, it'll be a day one..but I'd prefer a proper follow up.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I guess David Jaffe might read this so I'll say it...

God Of War used to be better. For me, I preferred the series in the Noughties when it was about fast-paced arcade action in the spirit of Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta.

This new 'cinematic story' iteration, whilst still excellent at what it does don't get me wrong, is just not as fun. What used to be hi-octane has become a slow trudge.

Whatever it takes to get a 60fps option. Great fluidity and animations shouldn't have to suffer any longer. There is enough power and knowledge out there to deliver both great visuals and great motion in an actual gameplay setting at this point.

OrionNebula

disappointed kevin sorbo GIF

(Not really. Don’t really care if it is, honestly. I know where I’ll play it)

PooBone

Last year Ryan said PS4 had back then around 100 million active users, so I think they won't want to miss that. To make it crossgen would make sens specially considering the PS5 supply constrains.

But personally, even if I couldn't get a PS5 I'd prefer it to be PS5 exclusive, to make sure it really delivers tech wise. The 2018 game still looks great today, so they don't need to make a big leap tech wise to be the best in class. And well, Morales looks great both on PS4 and PS5 so I assume Santa Monica could achieve the same.

If it ends being crossgen with a free next gen upgrade will be fine for me.

Sony didn't show it because they had to market several other huge exclusives to be released last year and this year before GoW, and to market the console launch too. These were too much bullets, to they had to save some of them for later.

Now they released the console and the 2020 games, people is so hyped that they have supply constraint issues even if they are shipping consoles worldwide in gaming history record levels, so once they release their Q1 exclusives and solve the supply issues it will be time to push the hype again showin (maybe for summer/E3) gameplay of their main H2 2021 hits GoW and Horizon being just a few months from launch so won't need to worry about downgrades and similar plus to announce some 2022 game (maybe Days Gone 2, TLOU2 factions, Spider Man 2 or the new San Diego studio game, probably an Uncharted).

Santa Monica always needed more or less the same time to release their games, will have enough time to release it on 2021.

People cares about what he says or believes becausee he is the creator of God of War and Twisted Metal, and he still has many friends working at Sony in top positions, and specially on Sony Santa Monica. He isn't a random internet user like you.
I'm not claiming insider info. And if he does have friends at top positions in Sony, don't you think they'd know, as professionals with an agenda, to keep their info close to the chest around such a loudmouthed internet podium-speaker?

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Jesus Wept, I’m the first wanting cross gen to die but your post attacking Jaffe is below the belt - for what?

Because he is constantly mouthing off while producing garbage games. It was obviously the team around him that made his output at Sony good. He's like Molyneux or Spector always giving opinions about the industry when he's long since irrelevant.

[Sigma]

Jim's answer to a question i believe a while back pretty much gave it away without him giving a definitive yes or no.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Sucks tbh. I wanted a next gen GOW.

SSD for fast movement between dimensions, bigger scope and enemies on screen and more shizzle and details..... larger map, more animations.
CPU holding back GOW.... BS

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
its all about lead time. How far in advance of the new gen platform launch do you think they had dev-kits?

The key thing is that its not just availability, its availability in sufficient quantity for a big project. So although its probable that there were alpha kits in circulation 18months - 2 years prior to launch, its unlikely that they were common enough to use as the primary hardware for a project of the scale of a GoW.

These things take time and a lot of manpower to make, so anything that appears early has to have been developed either using a target box to approximate capability (and so is liable not to make best use of the hardware) or was done on a shorter schedule and thus is a more modest undertaking.

I wish it would be PS5 exclusive, but that’s not gonna happen, because there is a law that corporations are legally obligated to maximize their profit. Otherwise the shareholders could take legal actions. So unless they can present a very good reason why it is not feasible to also release it on PS4, they are obligated to do it.

Magog.

Banned
I wish it would be PS5 exclusive, but that’s not gonna happen, because there is a law that corporations are legally obligated to maximize their profit. Otherwise the shareholders could take legal actions. So unless they can present a very good reason why it is not feasible to also release it on PS4, they are obligated to do it.

They don't have to prove that it can't be released on PS4 that's silly. All they would have to say is that it's part of their broader strategy to improve their brand.

Jaffe is irrelevant and needs to stop talking out of his ass. He doesn't know how to make a good game and his time after Sony proves it. He doesn't know what mechanics Ragnarok uses. If it requires an SSD to make the game work it won't come to PS4.

Ah yes, the famous SSD mechanics I'm sure sooo many games will be using. Is every Sony game going to need a rift-dimension hopping mechanic like new R&C to justify the SSD?

It will just load faster ffs.

Hudo

I don't want to insinuate that Jaffe talks shit but this hasn't been confirmed by Sony so far and maybe he got this info from someone who was bullshitting, i.e. a bad source.
Did the official press release of the God of War: Ragnarok announcement specifically mention PS5 and only PS5? If so, it would be a very weird move to later include PS4. But then again, I don't work in marketing because my opinions are shit.

cireza

Sony’s Jim Ryan believes in generations and wants to offer something new on PS5

“We believe in generations,” says Ryan. So you want to offer the community something new, something special, which is only possible on the new hardware with features such as DualSense controller and SSD. This sounds like a different approach than Microsoft’s, at least for deadline party titles. The first chance to prove this is on Thursday.
:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

dyergram

If it’s 2021 it probably will be and given we don’t know how easy it will be to get a ps5 this year it’s probably fair.

Bryank75

Banned
So, as you can see Jaffe is streaming GOW (2018) for the first time and loves it apart from the menu's.

But what you might not know is recently he was streaming Demons Souls and one of the studio heads at Bluepoint came in and helped him and in the next few weeks he might be streaming Days Gone.... possibly with some guest too (TBC).

He also had a great interview with Mike Mumbauer who set up the San Diego secret studio. The stream is really great and I recommend to anyone here.

As far as the cross-gen thing goes, I would prefer a PS5 only release that focuses all the studios attention on a single release. However there will only be a bit over 20 million PS5's by then, so I understand wanting to leverage the 110 million PS4's. Then again, you are working against building incentives for people to upgrade to PS5 if you keep doing cross gen releases. It's a double-edged sword.

MiguelItUp

Makes perfect sense to me. There are fans that don't have a PS5 yet, and probably won't be able to get one for awhile for various reasons. Putting it on both platforms eliminates that potential issue. Plus, more profit. 🤷‍♂️

It may be, as it most likely started development on PS4. So even if it isn’t cross-gen, it won’t be fully taking advantage of the PS5 hardware, as that would require more time and a comprehensive re-write of their game engine and production toolchain.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is not a problem, just because it's cross gen doesn't mean it'll be hitting over 1080p with a stable framerate on PS4 Pro.
Question is, would you want to play it on PS4?

Magog.

Banned
Ah yes, the famous SSD mechanics I'm sure sooo many games will be using. Is every Sony game going to need a rift-dimension hopping mechanic like new R&C to justify the SSD?

It will just load faster ffs.

Level design was clearly based around "squeeze points" in GoW to hide loading. If the level design in Ragnarok isn't then that would preclude a PS4 release.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Money talks.

I think Ragnarok said it was a 2021 game in the teaser. So that's next year. And by that time, the PS5 install base can't be that big. There would still be 100 million PS4/Pro users who didn't convert to PS5 which are potential $60 sales.

Seems to be on a game on game basis.

R&C and Demon's Souls seem to PS5 only. But Horizon 2 and Spiderman MM are cross gen.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is not a problem, just because it's cross gen doesn't mean it'll be hitting over 1080p with a stable framerate on PS4 Pro.
Question is, would you want to play it on PS4?
There's not reason to believe it wouldn't run smoothly on the PS4, in fact we've got every reason to believe it will considering the first. It'll just run smoother, load faster and have a much higher resolution (maybe native 4K) on the PS5.

Shubh_C63

This will never happen, but what will be peoples reaction if GoW:R releases on PS5 first and then on PS4 6 months later.

In a strange way some sony executive could make sense out of this proposition.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
There will be a lot more PS4 on homes than PS5 by the time GOWR releases . Also played GOW on base PS4 and was great talking about gameplay and performance.

So it will be a mistake release this game only to PS5. Pretty sure the studio will deliver the best GOWR for PS4 , PS4 Pro and PS5. They are not CDPR.
The issue is these cocksuckers said “We believe in generations”. I bought my PS5 to play PS5 games, not PS4 games up res’d and with a bit more frames. Sony can fuck right off.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Obviously. Sony needs money and they aren’t going to leave out 100 million PS4s

“We believe in generations” continues to be a ironically hilarious quote
That quote never meant every game would be PS5 exclusive. Thats ppl seeing what they wanna see.

Since I can remember they have always had cross gen and exclusive games the first few years after their new console launched.

Between MS and Sony, only Sony has exclusives for the new console right now. Thats how that quote should be looked at.

Plus they dramatically changed the UI and controller.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
The issue is these cocksuckers said “We believe in generations”. I bought my PS5 to play PS5 games, not PS4 games up res’d and with a bit more frames. Sony can fuck right off.

They released 2 or 3 cross gen games which is pretty par for the course. Lots of exclusive next gen stuff coming. There was no technical reason for Sackboy or Miles Morales to be next gen only so why not let PS4 owners experience them too?

Top Bottom