• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe sets Twitter on fire after calling Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom “bland and old looking”

Hoppa

I don’t mind the art style, if anything I’m impressed they’ve managed to get it performing how it does with how good it looks on the Switch. I get scores being relative to the platform it’s running on because they’ve optimised it so well, but it’s like if this were on a Switch 2 running at 4K 60fps what score could they give it if a perfect score is already given

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
mrwbXIK.jpg

Game looks fine to me. I don't recall people bitching about BOTWs overall look/aesthetics or its art style (not talking resolution or performance) , and if anything TOTK makes several improvements so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Like I said the game looks fine to me...and if it was truly so atrocious looking it wouldn't be getting nowhere near as many 10s.
Is this Oregon Trail?

Ford all rivers and set speeds to max! You'll be the sole survivor, but at least you survived!
oregon trail 80s GIF

keraj37

I'll talk about it on my streaming show later today. I'm amazed people think I was saying something controversial. I make it clear I really like the game and am playing the shit out of it. I'm just saying the visuals are fine but in some places they are downright ugly by today's standards (including switch standards) and I was just mentioning it's weird we're not seeing more chat about it.

But people took at as me 'looking for clicks' (on what?!? A twitter post?!?! Who cares-) and me beating up Nintendo. So dumb.
Internet is merciless and brutal at times, but public figures like yourself need to suffer it, I guess. Me, I stay away from heated discusions anywhere I can.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Switch hardware is absolute crudola but this is the most technically impressives game on the entire platform so the complaint is kind of dumbo

so's much going in the world it puts others devs to shame and no glitches either on that crud hardware bootyful art

oh-yeah-mrw.gif

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
There isn’t a single person who wouldn’t agree they’d love if the game was 4K and 60FPS, myself included.

That said the art style is amazing to me, and I find this game more pleasing to my eyes than 99% of other AAA shit out there. Likely this and BOTW will survive the test of time to be games you can come back to as long as gameplay loop holds up because the visuals are charming even many years after the fact. See: wind waker and link to the past.

Last edited:

Nocturno999

There isn’t a single person who wouldn’t agree they’d love if the game was 4K and 60FPS, myself included.

That said the art style is amazing to me, and I find this game more pleasing to my eyes than 99% of other AAA shit out there. Likely this and BOTW will survive the test of time to be games you can come back to as long as gameplay loop holds up because the visuals are charming even many years after the fact. See: wind waker and link to the past.

I'm finishing BOTW while waiting for my TOTK copy and it amazes me how better it looks that most overhyped titles on stronger hardware.
Their art style work wonders on older hardware.

Last edited:

Chechack

You can tell the nintendo shills and zelda dick riders because the game shouldnt have been given 10's in performance alone. What did people complain with Redfall? Poor framerate? What about TOTK?
To be fair,nintendo dont go around claiming their console is the world strongest console terallops bla bla bla unlike xbox

People would expect redfall to be as amazing as their system claim to be tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

TexMex

or he's brave enough to call a spade a spade instead of jumping on the bandwagon like all the other youtubers, reviewers and tech bros like DF whose only job it is to criticize shitty graphics.

I will never understand why gamers turn on people who are actually brave enough to voice their opinions. You would have to be blind to not see how atrocious this game can look at times. DF completely glossed over the problems. So if what he's saying is true, based on reality then who cares why he's doing what he's doing?

DF literally found that the framerate drops to 20 fps every single time you open up your L1 ability to manipulate objects. I can confirm this. It happens every single time. For a game designed around this feature, its simply unacceptable that this was glossed over in a technical review of the game.

They are the ones who are frauds. Not Jaffe.

While I don’t think he’s wrong here, and I don’t think he’s a “fraud” - the guy has made a second career out of saying deliberately inflammatory shit on twitter/YouTube and it’s often extremely awkward and embarrassing.

Brigandier

I'm sorry but I just gotta say this. It's something that if you have any negative critique about any Nintendo game even while still praising the gameplay, you still get destroyed on the Internet simply because you dared to say something negative about a Nintendo game. Nintendo should get criticized the same way Microsoft and Sony do. Its not like he said the game looks dated so it sucks. He still praised the game overall.

You can tell the nintendo shills and zelda dick riders because the game shouldnt have been given 10's in performance alone. What did people complain with Redfall? Poor framerate? What about TOTK?

93sU66u.jpg

TLZ

Banned
What are you talking about? Your schizo side is showing. In the case of God of War, it is a one track brawler style is highly repetitive, the puzzles are mediocre at best and its superb story and presentation are integral to it because they serve as an extra motivation to go complete the game. The game is a solid 9 as it is. It definetly is not that if stripped of its story and presentation.

All im saying is that gameplay always triumphs graphics. Its why Zelda TotK can afford to have mediocre performance and technical graphics. God of War cannot.
Why are you saying that as fact? What you think is more fun or better is your taste. Other might not like it and like something else. I find both of them fun in their own way. It's not one or the other for me.

Some of the posts here are downright childish in all honesty.

CGNoire

A vast majority of comments in this thread seem childish as shit. Shits disapointing to see.

Say you disagree but dont insult someone for there opinion...which isnt even a controversal one at that.

Stratostar

Resolution and performance aside, I can’t wait for Nintendo to drop the BOTW art style already. It’s absolutely bland, and stale as hell at this point.
Hoping the next mainline installment has an art style that looks radically different and doesn’t have “hardware constraints” written all over it.

To be fair it’s beautiful - but goddamn I would love to see what this team could do with cutting edge hardware. I would like to see a realistic type Zelda/not cartoon - with this type of physical interaction. OOT when it came out blew everything away graphically

Last edited:

LakeOf9

A vast majority of comments in this thread seem childish as shit. Shits disapointing to see.

Say you disagree but dont insult someone for there opinion...which isnt even a controversal one at that.
I think the issue is less this current opinion (which is hardly controversial, the game is amazing but looks like a PS3 era game, because thats basically what it is) but more that the person with the opinion is known to be a flame baiting troll who has made similarly inflammatory comments in the past to try and draw attention. He has a pattern of attention seeking, and has no real meaningful insight or information to offer, so people have less patience for what he has to say.

Again, not disagreeing the game looks like shit because Nintendo is a shitty company that can't be bothered to put out actual good hardware, but that is not a problem with the game itself, which has been reviewed with consideration to the fact that the hardware it is on was not in the dev team's control. I am sure Aonuma would love to have PS5 level hardware with that SSD to work with. Tears of the Kingdom manages to be seamless across three layers of the map already. You can imagine how much easier his life would be if TOTK was for the PS5 rather than a shitty ass Nvidia tablet from like 2013.

CGNoire

I think the issue is less this current opinion (which is hardly controversial, the game is amazing but looks like a PS3 era game, because thats basically what it is) but more that the person with the opinion is known to be a flame baiting troll who has made similarly inflammatory comments in the past to try and draw attention. He has a pattern of attention seeking, and has no real meaningful insight or information to offer, so people have less patience for what he has to say.

Again, not disagreeing the game looks like shit because Nintendo is a shitty company that can't be bothered to put out actual good hardware, but that is not a problem with the game itself, which has been reviewed with consideration to the fact that the hardware it is on was not in the dev team's control. I am sure Aonuma would love to have PS5 level hardware with that SSD to work with. Tears of the Kingdom manages to be seamless across three layers of the map already. You can imagine how much easier his life would be if TOTK was for the PS5 rather than a shitty ass Nvidia tablet from like 2013.
I have seen people frequently post Jaffe posts here they dont like but havent seen anything that fits that desciption. Also this isnt a controversal aka clickbait take what so ever.

Either way I think this has way more to do with the constant pass Nintendo gets on pretty much every release from game press. The double standard is clear as day. I think that Nintendo fans now have been coddled by the press for so long they actually feel entitled to the general consensus agreeing with them. Anyone who disents get waves and waves of insults and character assassination attempts thrown at them. Imo they have some of the softest skin ive seen. This thread turned out exactly how I exspected.

"Its ok people as long as the graphics look good to you thats all that should matter".

sono

Gold Member
what is wrong with yellow and blue

(I think he has a point, graphics tech has come a long way)

I think it needs to be reiterated. What we were promised with the PS5/Series X was not just better graphics but also more interactive and seamless worlds as a result of the more powerful CPUs and yet the difference between Zero Dawn and Forbidden West is now the foliage moves a little bit but when you move past. Don't get me wrong, on a pure technical level it is still much better than Tears of the Kingdom but then the PS5 is about 50 times the power of the switch which I don't think people quite understand. The PS5 should be capable of world simulations orders of magnitude beyond TOTK while at 60fps/better graphics but it isn't happening as of yet.

Nydius

they are downright ugly by today's standards (including switch standards)
The part I put in bold is absolute bullshit clickbait. What modern open world Switch game looks better than this?

Not Xenoblade.
Not Pokémon Legends Arceus.
Not Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
Not the original LoZ Breath of the Wild.

Comparing it to the Series X, PS5 and PC (“today’s standards”) is already ludicrously stupid, but to add the part about other Switch titles just tells me you’re purposely trying to stir the pot for YouTube views.

Oh fuck off. I’m not going to kiss a guy’s ass because he did game dev in the past when he makes blatantly obvious clickbaity tweets and videos.

It’s not about the graphics but then proceeds to whine for a prolonged period about the graphics. SureJan.gif

Arguing that 2015 tablet tech isn’t up to “todays” (two generations later) standards is fucking ridiculous, but to double down and say it’s not even up to Switch standards? That’s straight hyperbolic bullshit.

Calling out such bullshit isn’t childish. The only thing childish in this thread are people using this ridiculous opinion to dogpile on the Switch because they think it’s shit. Grow the fuck up.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Kind of agree with him. There is always that feeling that critics are less severe on Nintendo games with their reviews.

"David Jaffe believes that people have a double standard for certain video games, depending on the console they are released on..."

https://en.as.com/meristation/news/...r-calling-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-bland-n/

R4YY6YZB4ZH4DOB3WQIOC2XZJE.jpg

Obviously he's just cherrypicked a particularly bad screenshot to back up his dumb take, but I don't think that shot even looks bad. The only real problem is the water textures. The colours, shadows, effects, the layout of the area are all really pretty.

GymWolf

The part I put in bold is absolute bullshit clickbait. What modern open world Switch game looks better than this?

Not Xenoblade.

Comparing it to the Series X, PS5 and PC (“today’s standards”) is already ludicrously stupid, but to add the part about other Switch titles just tells me you’re purposely trying to stir the pot for YouTube views.

Oh fuck off. I’m not going to kiss a guy’s ass because he did game dev in the past when he makes blatantly obvious clickbaity tweets and videos.

It’s not about the graphics but then proceeds to whine for a prolonged period about the graphics. SureJan.gif

Arguing that 2015 tablet tech isn’t up to “todays” (two generations later) standards is fucking ridiculous, but to double down and say it’s not even up to Switch standards? That’s straight hyperbolic bullshit.

Calling out such bullshit isn’t childish. The only thing childish in this thread are people using this ridiculous opinion to dogpile on the Switch because they think it’s shit. Grow the fuck up.
Xenoblade looks a bit better i think

010074f013262000_2022-07-29_14-09-18-038-png.320110

006_xkcd.jpg

CGNoire

Not Xenoblade.

Nothing you descibe him doing or saying actually happened. Re read his post if you need to. There is zero controversal about what he said. It in no way equals clickbait unless you are completly unable to hear critques about the game you like. He even went out of his way to put up a "games still good" shield ahead of time knowing full well how sensitive you people are. Yes its childish to lash out so easily. Asking me to grow up? The Irony.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Not Xenoblade.

I'm enjoying the game right now but if you strip away everything _how_, there's nothing controversial about _what_ Jaffe says, so I don't know why you're emotionally blowing up like that. The gameplay is good, the art is good, bugs-wise it's good, but for a 2023 title its visual quality is technically really bad. This is a fact and not controversial.

Last edited:
I finished botw emulated recently, and going back into totk with it's awful resolution, framerate and lod gonna be quite hard.
The game might be magnificent, but the performance issues are quite real. It's not on the level of pokemon sv, but it is quite annoying.

mcjmetroid

I mean what he is saying here describes Pokemon Scarlet and Violet but what do you want here? This is the best the Switch can handle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom