• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Lynch: "It is happening" Twin Peaks back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they are split over two seasons. I don't want the quality of the show to suffer because of a lack of time for proper writing and production. :/

Joqu

Scripts for the first 9 episodes were already finished quite a while ago and I'm sure they aren't doing those over so I'm assuming it's a second season. (But maybe just internally depending on what Showtime wants.)

I saw three episodes and didn't see anything amazing about it. I ugess i'll try again.
Good luck. It's simply not good IMO. I'm amazed how many big fans admit the second season was trash yet still praise the show; I'm not aware of many great shows that only have one good season (according to fans). I like the atmosphere of the first season but overall it's just too ridiculous for me fellas. The nonsense causes episodes to drag, and in other cases I busted out laughing at things that weren't meant to be funny (like beating someone with a sock that has soap in it) due to the insanity.

I watched the first ep of S2 and gave up. Tried rewatching the show a few months later and couldn't make it back to S2.

I don't see how S3 can use the same soap opera spoof playbook and be successful in 2015/2016. And of course if it does something different that will turn some fans off. Basically it seems like a no win situation where most people will be disappointed.

I don't see how S3 can use the same soap opera spoof playbook and be successful in 2015/2016. And of course if it does something different that will turn some fans off. Basically it seems like a no win situation where most people will be disappointed.

The thing I've always admired about Lynch is he creates art because it pleases him, not the public. For me that's been a winning formula for decades of his work (I love Inland Empire).

People despise charm these days so yeah I don't really think it'll be some hit with modern audiences, but who knows, it depends on how its handled.

People despise charm these days so yeah I don't really think it'll be some hit with modern audiences, but who knows, it depends on how its handled.

I guess, but Twin Peaks is more popular than ever. And it's Showtime, so I don't think ratings really matter. They've committed to these episodes. It's not like anyone has to worry about it getting cancelled.

What I like most about Twin Peaks is how it plays everything (at least) 2 ways. When the Palmers find out about Laura, those scenes could make you laugh or break your heart. Every horror scene has a certain beauty to it. Lynch has that wonderful balance that is uniquely his. And I don't want to downplay Mark Frost either, clearly him and Lynch sync up in a way that gives Twin Peaks a uniqueness among Lynch's other work.

LProtag

18 episodes?

It's almost worth the horrible disappointment I had to deal with for the month everyone thought it was going to be cancelled.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Oh damn, how did I miss this news? Nice!

Ashok

Banned
I'm not aware of many great shows that only have one good season (according to fans).
I'm not either, then again Twin Peaks had 2 great seasons. Twin Peaks S2 has some of my favorite written episodes in the history of television, actually. And to be quite honest, I prefer Twin Peaks S2 over anything on HBO or Showtime. I thought it was brilliant.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Surely the production will be split. I can't see Lynch directing an entire 18 episode season.

What I like most about Twin Peaks is how it plays everything (at least) 2 ways. When the Palmers find out about Laura, those scenes could make you laugh or break your heart.

God, is this true. The acting and music is so dramatic and it's incredibly drawn out in that first episode. It's sad, but if you back away and think of it in a humorous perspective, it's hilarious. I don't think it's a bad thing though, it just goes back to that charm I mentioned. The execution of various elements were so shameless that it contributed heavily to the enjoyment of the series but if you couldn't go along with it, it didn't work.

Joqu

18 episodes all directed by Lynch?! This is the best.

To be honest I'm not sure if I can see Lynch directing all of them? It wouldn't surprise me if he just ends up directing those 9 hours that were announced previously. I'd love to be wrong on that, but man, that'd be a lot of Lynch directed goodness.

Really happy about this news either way though. This way they'll be able to bring back as many old faces as they want without things feeling cramped.

gabbo

What I like most about Twin Peaks is how it plays everything (at least) 2 ways. When the Palmers find out about Laura, those scenes could make you laugh or break your heart. Every horror scene has a certain beauty to it. Lynch has that wonderful balance that is uniquely his. And I don't want to downplay Mark Frost either, clearly him and Lynch sync up in a way that gives Twin Peaks a uniqueness among Lynch's other work.

Well the show is a black comedy/satire of soap operas and 'all-American small towns'. That you might laugh at the people and situations in them is definitely intentional, and certainly one it nailed in the first season, and the last few episodes of 2. But it's a fine line that the new episodes have to walk carefully.

eXistor

Holy shitballs, I just read this news. I had completely given up on it, but Showtime decided to wise up? Good on them. I'll now patiently await the glorious return of David Lynch.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Woah Showtime delivering the goods, who would have thought.

Yeah, I'm surprised Showtime gave in to make it happen assuming the earlier rumor stuff was true.

Still, great news. Of course, if it's lackluster now, It's all on David Lynch :p

I'm not aware of many great shows that only have one good season (according to fans).

It's one utterly groundbreaking season that defined the template for all great TV dramas that followed, half of the same in the second season, then some really bad episodes, followed by the best hour of television ever produced.

EGM1966

Good luck. It's simply not good IMO. I'm amazed how many big fans admit the second season was trash yet still praise the show; I'm not aware of many great shows that only have one good season (according to fans). I like the atmosphere of the first season but overall it's just too ridiculous for me fellas. The nonsense causes episodes to drag, and in other cases I busted out laughing at things that weren't meant to be funny (like beating someone with a sock that has soap in it) due to the insanity.

I watched the first ep of S2 and gave up. Tried rewatching the show a few months later and couldn't make it back to S2.

Season 2 surely went off the rails but it's impossible to sepeate Twin Peaks (and the first season and finale of season 2 in particular) from it's influence. It seemed to pave the way for pretty much everything that's been good on TV since (with pretty much the creator of every major modern TV series naming it as a key influence or enabler).

It was a game changer during season 1 and it felt like everybody was falling over to discuss every episode the next day. The main starts of the show were everywhere and it totally dominated the zeitgeist for a while.

Arguably better programs have had less lasting impact and it remains an enigma of "what if" because most people know Lynch drifted away during season 2 contributing to the implosion.

But at it's peak (pardon the pun) it was the best there was and certain episodes remain some of the best and most challenging material put on TV.

But man season 2 was all over the map and you could sense the thing coming apart at the seams. That final episode though. Vintage Lynch.

S02 had some great episodes. Especially the one where they get
Leland/Bob
and the last episode come to mind.

But this graph is pretty correct:
http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0098936

There is some utter shit in that second half, but still worth it for the last few I think.

Can not wait for this new season.

See the lowest rated ep is also one that has the awesome character
Dennis/Denise
. So even the worst isn't all bad. But James, and the Ben Horne
civil war arc
are a bit ehhh?

Honestly, the 2nd part of season 2 would much better if you just cut all of the James stuff.

But man season 2 was all over the map and you could sense the thing coming apart at the seams. That final episode though. Vintage Lynch.

That's what I think seals it for me, had the finale been awful, it would be like "ok good riddance". But it ended with such a bang, (right up there and imo better than Season 1), it left an impression on you.

jb1234

They're filming at North Bend? Hahaha, awesome! I'll have to drive down there to check out filming at some point.

lednerg

ABC messed up the show during the second season by making them solve the main mystery way too early. Then ABC started moving the show around the schedule, so many people missed entire episodes because of it (this was before DVRs and on demand). At the same time, Lynch was busy working on another project. The show runners were sent scrambling to create new characters and situations in an attempt bring back interest in the show, but could never recapture the magic of the Lynch / Frost team. At least when Lynch did come back to the show for the last episode, he managed to bring things back around, creating some of the series' most memorable moments.

S2 doesn't really matter, it doesn't have much relation to what this new one will be like. It's an entirely different situation behind the scenes. The people who brought us the best of Twin Peaks are now writing/directing the whole thing, unlike during the 90's. Showtime seems to be bending over backwards for them, as opposed to ABC, who micromanaged their #1 hit show into oblivion. This new production is also not going to be censored like they were on network television, nor will they have to deal with stuff like commercial breaks and ratings.

So the full panel where Sherilyn Fenn and Shreyl Lee gave up the latest details has been posted.

This link starts where Fenn gets very specific as to why it's 18 now. Essentially David's imagination grew and he felt to complete it he needed another 9.

lednerg

^^ Thanks for posting that.

Exclusive: Looks like Duchovny’s doing Twin Peaks, too! [MovieHole]

[...]
Now, according to a reputable source (connected to NBC’s ready-to-binge-soon “Aquarius” – looks great, too!) Duchovny’s due to shoot some “Twin Peaks” “in the third quarter”. Since he’ll be shooting “X-Files” in the same terrain, and around the same time, it sounds pretty manageable.
[...]​
Svh23hX.jpg

bsp

This is exceptional news as I have been making my way through the series for the first time over the last few weeks. There are about 5 episodes left in S2, and I can notice the differences, but I don't find it quite as bad as most people say. Looking forward to the finale I hear so much about and then the film.

Kurdel

Banned
So the full panel where Sherilyn Fenn and Shreyl Lee gave up the latest details has been posted.

This link starts where Fenn gets very specific as to why it's 18 now .Essentially David's imagination grew and he felt to complete it he needed another 9.

whaaa.gif

Just learned this, can't contain these emotions.

Real Hero

too!) Duchovny’s due to shoot some “Twin Peaks” “in the third quarter”. Since he’ll be shooting “X-Files” in the same terrain, and around the same time, it sounds pretty manageable.

He must feel like he's traveled back in time.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
^^ Thanks for posting that.

Exclusive: Looks like Duchovny’s doing Twin Peaks, too! [MovieHole]

[...]
Now, according to a reputable source (connected to NBC’s ready-to-binge-soon “Aquarius” – looks great, too!) Duchovny’s due to shoot some “Twin Peaks” “in the third quarter”. Since he’ll be shooting “X-Files” in the same terrain, and around the same time, it sounds pretty manageable.
[...]​
Svh23hX.jpg

Oh my god, yes! We can have all the James Hurley musical numbers they want, as long as we have more Denise <3

Twin Peaks Season 2 being bad is a myth.

The first 9 episodes are great, and the last episode is great and probably the best episode. There are 7 or 8 in the middle that are boring and silly.

David Lynch left to direct Wild At Heart, and it got bad for a while, then he came back for the finale and it was like nothing was ever wrong (except for the presence of Wyndam Earle).

I dunno how someone can watch the first season, then watch the excellent 2 hour premiere of season 2 and go 'whoah, this show stinks now' because it's the exact same show, story, and tone. I'd say the first section of season 2 has episodes which are better than anything in season 1.

Necrovex

The first 9 episodes are great, and the last episode is great and probably the best episode. There are 7 or 8 in the middle that are boring and silly.

David Lynch left to direct Wild At Heart, and it got bad for a while, then he came back for the finale and it was like nothing was ever wrong (except for the presence of Wyndam Earle).

I dunno how someone can watch the first season, then watch the excellent 2 hour premiere of season 2 and go 'whoah, this show stinks now' because it's the exact same show, story, and tone. I'd say the first section of season 2 has episodes which are better than anything in season 1.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people who considered season two anything after the mystery being solved. But I'm with you on your post. Even with the very rough stretch, season two had some amazing highs, some surpassing the first season.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm one of those people that overall prefer Season 2 to Season 1. Season has higher highs and lower lows than Season 1, but I think some of my absolute favorite moments of the series happens in Season 2, I think even at its worst Twin Peaks doesn't drop into abysmal or unwatchable levels (that's just my opinion though) and there's even a so bad it because stupidly entertaining again element due to the somewhat parody-ish soap opera feel of the show at times. I think there are just as many good episodes, I'd even say more, than Season 1 (given the season is almost three times as long as Season 1). It does have a 3-4 episode dip for me that's the low-point of the series, but then Season 2 also ends off strongly.

This is all opinionated and all that, but I feel the badness of Season 2 is often greatly exaggerated, and I feel there's some side character arcs that are entertaining, well-done, and enjoyable after the murderer reveal. There's some that aren't winners certainly, but it is what it is.

---

Duchovny returning for some reason never even hit me as a possibility, but I would love more Denise, and thinking on it, it is true that the new X-Files stuff is being filmed close to where Twin Peaks is airing.

Joqu

Duchovny returning would be amazing, I figured he'd be too busy now to reprise his role. The explanation given in that article does make a lot of sense though.

Similarly I'd love to see Kiefer Sutherland return, I really enjoyed his performance in FWWM, but I really can't see THAT happening unless he secretly happens to be some big fan of the show.

Ashok

Banned
Nailed it. And I prefer Twin Peaks S2 over S1, actually. The nice thing is that when people start trash talking S2, I know I can safely ignore all their opinions in the future, lol.

Nemmy

This.

There's plenty of boring stuff in season 1, as well, IMO. I watched the whole show several times and on repeated viewings I actually prefer the bad parts of s2 to the beginning of s1 where there's way more Donna/James/Bobby scenes. Not to mention how the tone of the show visibly changes between the pilot and the next episode.

It's not like s1 is flawless and it's not like s2 is bad *shrug*

gabbo

There is a lot of horrible shit in season 2 though...

PDVD_128a_zps4f6c6202.png

What happened to Andy in season 2 is a crying shame. One he's probably weeping over right now in fact because he was such a bumbling, sobbing wreck of a man before season2 righted its ship.

-SD-

Banned
I'm a huge fan of Twin Peaks. The show has 30 episodes in total. It takes 17 episodes to close the Laura Palmer murder case (episode 9 of the second season). The rest are practically filler material to abide by the contract. Luckily the filler episodes manage to provide decent entertainment.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the revival of the show.

No new information, but a nice short interview with Kyle McLachlan:

“We’ve always harbored a dream that we might be able to get back to him somehow. Never really thought it would happen, but here you go,” the actor told Speakeasy in a recent telephone interview, adding that Cooper is “perhaps my favorite character of all time.”

The dream almost died in April, when series co-creator and director David Lynch dropped out of the project over a budget dispute with Showtime. Several cast members and fans responded with a social media campaign to save the new “Twin Peaks” season, which is meant to be a resolution to the story that Lynch and co-creator Mark Frost started telling in 1990. Then, in May, Lynch returned to the project. He will direct every episode, which will now add up to more than the nine hours Showtime originally announced.

The last time we saw Agent Cooper, not including Lynch’s companion film “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me,” he was trapped in the mysterious Black Lodge while an evil, cackling version of Cooper was set to run amok in the town of Twin Peaks. McLachlan, whose return to the role was announced in January, said he hasn’t read the scripts for the new series of episodes, but he said that what he knows is exciting, and that he will head to Los Angeles in a few days to sit down and “move through it.”

“David and I have spoken a little bit. He’s asked me to be pretty tight-lipped about what we discussed,” the actor said. “He hasn’t talked in great detail about relationships, or who or what or who with, those kinds of questions, but what he said specifically about the character has made me really, really excited to get back into that world.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom