• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Lynch: "It is happening" Twin Peaks back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephLuis

So, I only know Twin Peaks because people say that Deadly Premonition is similar to the show. Is this a new temp or a remake ?

And should I start watching this ASAP if I loved Deadly Premonition ?

So, I only know Twin Peaks because people say that Deadly Premonition is similar to the show. Is this a new temp or a remake ?

This will be a continuation afaik. You certainly have some time to get caught up (premieres in 2017), but yes, this is a show that's still well worth the watch, warts and all.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

That's how I found it, and it's my favorite show of all time.

SephLuis

Thanks for the answers. Will search for it. How many seasons and episodes ?

Currently watching a whole lot of other programs, but those will end soon.

Reckoner

Thanks for the answers. Will search for it. How many seasons and episodes ?

Currently watching a whole lot of other programs, but those will end soon.

Two seasons. First one is short (~10ep), second is longer (20+ep). You'll have a great time.

Also some might tell you to skip it but after you finish the series watch the movie prequel! Fire Walk With Me is the name, it's a much darker and abstract exploration than the series but infinitely rewarding for its atmosphere imo. I accidentally saw the movie first from a friend's recommendation not knowing there was a tv show that came before it, that was certainly an interesting way to experience the series...

Flipyap

Well this sucks if true...
The original source via They-Shot-Waldo! on the dugpa forums
sx6T6XU.png

Also from Michael J. Anderson's facebook:
"will we see you in Twin Peaks3?"
It is NOT predicted.
This really is a crying shame. He's the person I was most looking forward to seeing again, especially since he's hardly been seen anywhere since Carnivàle.

Yeah I mean there's a whole lotta bad in season 2 for sure haha. ABC killed its momentum by aggressively pressuring Lynch and Frost to reveal Laura's killer early on, which was just stupid af if you want people to keep tuning in for the mystery. Didn't help Lynch was off the set for most of it filming the movie Wild At Heart and got back after they'd already filmed the finale and was like "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" Thank god he got to re-shoot the finale at least.
Lynch filmed Wild at Heart during season 1 and I don't think anyone else touched the finale before he got there either, it just had a really bad script, half of which Lynch basically threw out and replaced with stuff he made up on the spot during an all-night shoot.

Season 2 is flawed (quite deeply for... seven or so episodes?), but it doesn't deserve all the shit it gets. The first 8 episodes are still very strong. I enjoy Lynch's season 2 episode more than anything in season 1.

Lynch filmed Wild at Heart during season 1 and I don't think anyone else touched the finale before he got there either, it just had a really bad script, half of which Lynch basically threw out and replaced with stuff he made up on the spot during an all-night shoot.

Huh, thought he did a reshoot. Thank god he did it that way, one of the coolest things that's ever been on tv. Years ago when I went to Twede's in North Bend I saw some really cool set photos framed in the back from the shoot of the final episode, lots of the actors with the doppelganger contacts in just goofing around. That brought a smile to my face :)

Dicktatorship

sx6T6XU.png

This really is a crying shame. He's the person I was most looking forward to seeing again, especially since he's hardly been seen anywhere since Carnivàle.

Season 2 is flawed (quite deeply for... seven or so episodes?), but it doesn't deserve all the shit it gets. The first 8 episodes are still very strong. I enjoy Lynch's season 2 episode more than anything in season 1.

Honestly after surviving the french canadian wants payback storyline I could only make it 3 episodes into the Windom Earle storyline. Very poorly developed series after they wrapped up the original murder mystery. Though maybe I should at least go back and watch the season 2 finale since it was directed by Lynch.

blamite

Will watch as soon as I finish the others I am currently seeing.

Thanks for the answers.

Allow me to recommend the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast as a companion to the show; despite the name it's completely suitable to a first-time viewing, spoilers are only discussed at the very end so they're super easy to avoid, and the discussion is interesting and entertaining. Plus it'll help you get through the mid-late season 2 doldrums. I recently watched the series for the first time along with the cast and it was great.

Pappasman

I work in the town Twin Peaks was filmed in. Apparently people have seen some location scouts recently and I heard David Lynch got lunch with the mayor.

Well i guess thats known already but its cool to see. Especially since I'm in the area.

Flipyap

Huh, thought he did a reshoot. Thank god he did it that way, one of the coolest things that's ever been on tv. Years ago when I went to Twede's in North Bend I saw some really cool set photos framed in the back from the shoot of the final episode, lots of the actors with the doppelganger contacts in just goofing around. That brought a smile to my face :)
You can read the script here, it's a fascinating disaster.
It had everything. Magical knights, baby Cooper and the whole thing was going to end with an epic showdown in a magical dentist's office.

Honestly after surviving the french canadian wants payback storyline I could only make it 3 episodes into the Windom Earle storyline. Very poorly developed series after they wrapped up the original murder mystery. Though maybe I should at least go back and watch the season 2 finale since it was directed by Lynch.

If you really need to skip some episodes, I'd recommend picking the show back up at the 18th episode of the second season (also known as Episode 25 or 26, or by the German broadcast title "On the Wings of Love"). I can't promise that all of those episodes will be good, but this way you won't go into the finale without any context (plus, you wouldn't want to miss the last two appearances of Gordon Cole).

You have to make it through a kind of weird and kind of shitty pilot episode, and maybe a couple of slower episodes while they situate the main characters. It gets weird and awesome in short order after that.

Akahige

Looking forward to this, I watched the series for the first time a few months ago, still haven't seen the movie.

Season 2 was weak from the beginning to me, a big obvious drop in quality of the writing, directing & sound mixing (Maybe a Netflix problem but the music drowns out almost every piece of dialogue). The Windom Earle storyline toward the end was probably the highlight of the season, and I liked the finale a lot.

liquidtmd

Banned
Is this going to happen with Kojima and Konami.

Honestly, I know what Konamis stance and approach is going forward but I reckon years from now Silent Hills will move forward in some 'chapters' capacity with Kojima on board on mainstream consoles and PC.

Just a hunch / maybe touch of blind hope. Maybe stupid but fuck it if you'd have told me last year we'd be looking at a full Lynch Twin Peaks, Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and RE2 Remake that I've been lusting after for 15years in or around 2017, I'd have laughed at you. But here we are

Looking forward to this, I watched the series for the first time a few months ago, still haven't seen the movie.

Season 2 was weak from the beginning to me, a big obvious drop in quality of the writing, directing & sound mixing (Maybe a Netflix problem but the music drowns out almost every piece of dialogue). The Windom Earle storyline toward the end was probably the highlight of the season, and I liked the finale a lot.

What's the matter? Ben Horne as a Civil War general do nothing for you?

hqdefault.jpg

gabbo

sx6T6XU.png

That, and his character is rather important I would think to
the Black Lodge
. I mean, who else is going to record their lines backwards for that weird stilted effect?

Flipyap

That, and his character is rather important I would think to
the Black Lodge
. I mean, who else is going to record their lines backwards for that weird stilted effect?
There's always the possibility that Lynch came up with some new gimmick for the way those otherworldy scenes are going to be presented.
Or, they're leaving those scenes for the last minute and simply did a crappy job letting anyone know that they might be needed at a later date (filming is supposed to wrap up in May of next year)

Meanwhile,
@TwinPeaksArchve
Twede's is closed for the next two weeks!! It has started!! #twinpeaks #TwinPeaks2017
hgILNJr.jpg

Ed's Gas sign!! #twinpeaks #TwinPeaks2017 #now
0YbmGYN.jpg

‏@zandi_mark

Neato! Lately people have been speculating that only the exterior is going to be filmed on location, but there's clearly work being done inside the diner.

3rdman

There's always the possibility that Lynch came up with some new gimmick for the way those otherworldy scenes are going to be presented.
Or, they're leaving those scenes for the last minute and simply did a crappy job letting anyone know that they might be needed at a later date (filming is supposed to wrap up in May of next year)

Meanwhile,
@TwinPeaksArchve

‏@zandi_mark

Neato! Lately people have been speculating that only the exterior is going to be filmed on location, but there's clearly work being done inside the diner.

On a podcast (forgot which) they interviewed the owner of the cafe and she in fact confirmed that they were changing much of the interior. I remember specifically that the position of the counter was being moved closer to the front door to better resemble the original. I'm sure there is more being done...

That same twitter account said they'll be filming in North Bend for about a week, so most of the RR interior shots will be done in LA I'm thinking. If there's a Coop sighting I'm hoppin in the jalopy and goin down there for a stakeout!

Flipyap

Everett McGill confirmed! Filming today at Big Ed's Gas Farm...
This is all so exciting. I don't exactly miss Nadine (not after season 2), but every confirmation that they're bringing back even those minor characters makes me unreasonably happy. It still doesn't feel real.

I just saw a picture of him on location on the same twitter. DEFINITELY him. Unbelievable.

edit: also, I've got some sources in town, with better cameras than the Twitter guy (though bless his diligence).

word is that later tonight, this will be lit up for some night shooting. I *cannot* wait.
And his hair looks RIDICULOUS! Fantastic.

I'm not sure if I like the new look of the diner, but it's nice to see that they went the smart route and allowed the town to evolve over the last 25 years (and RR2GO is already my favorite droid; suck it, R2).

For those who aren't following @TwinPeaksArchve, some shots of Big Ed's New Gas Farm
(that second photo could hardly be any twinpeaksier)

Edit:
Via @motschenbacher1:
Directors @DAVID_LYNCH & @mfrost11 directing an undisclosed cast member. Was a privilege to witness! #TwinPeaks2017

kUkLEG8.jpg
!

I can't believe they actually found Everett McGill. The man hasn't acted in 15 years.

Right? And we were all so amazed when Harry Goaz turned up in that short film at the Twin Peaks fest. David put out an APB for Everett on twitter not long ago. Social media has *really* helped this project. When Brad Dukes was writing his book Reflections, he interviewed over 100 people and none of them had a lead on Everett.

edit: My sources are saying that shooting starts up again in about an hour and a half. I'm really hoping they're going to be filming at the RR.

Yeah that hairstyle is epic, so glad they got him back, one of my favorite characters. It always weirds me out a bit seeing him in Dune for some reason. First time I noticed it was him it was years after I saw Dune for the first time and had recently discovered Twin Peaks. Stilgar!

stilgar.jpg

Flipyap

Yeah that hairstyle is epic, so glad they got him back, one of my favorite characters. It always weirds me out a bit seeing him in Dune for some reason. First time I noticed it was him it was years after I saw Dune for the first time and had recently discovered Twin Peaks. Stilgar!
Familiarity with Twin Peaks turns Dune into a very different and pretty darn funny movie.

RIP Jack Nance, probably Lynch's finest mainstay. His side characters are so memorable, rewatched the blu ray of Blue Velvet the other night, you totally buy that he's just this weird fucker just existing in this bizarre and dark world tagging along with these other miscreants and ne'er do wells. Also his role in Wild At Heart is the goat Lynch cameo character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okoOe5ho3VM

Was about to post, any chance your sources posting their pics on twitter? I'd love to be following somebody with a decent camera :p

@motschenbacher1 seems to be taking some good ones.

Oh damn!! I knew Twede's was getting renovated around now, I didn't realize how fast it'd go, wow. A friend and I might head over this weekend to check stuff out... I hope we get to see something!!

David Lynch requests no more set photos.
TWIN PEAKS ARCHIVE said:
All things must pass. Whilst up in Washington watching the filming of the new Twin Peaks, we heard through the grapevine that David Lynch was unpleased that fans were taking photos of the filming and uploading them to various sites on the internet. Even though everyone I witnessed was being courteous and staying on public sidewalks etc, apparently this was just too much for Lynch. So, we decided to abide by Mr. Lynch’s wishes. We will post stills of the filming process once the final episode of the series airs. I know many of you are disappointed by this, but hey, it is what it is.

I'm sure more photos will get out, but none through this site.

teraMEL0S

I'm so damn excited for this! Finally watched the entire series after putting it off for so long. Feels good to know this is coming back.

Flipyap

David Lynch requests no more set photos.

I'm sure more photos will get out, but none through this site.
I could live without the photos, but since then the teases evolved into "I know something you don't know!" and it's just no fun.
Plus, it's not like we're actually getting any spoilers out of this. Their audience mostly just wants to know who the hell is going to be on this show, so at "worst" we'd find out the same thing the opening credits would tell us (if not a trailer or a press release).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom