• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn of War 3: Ork Faction Reveal (IGN)

derFeef

ork-waaagh-1481752426585.jpg

orks-02-1481751476857.jpg

orks-01-1481751476856.jpg

orks-03-1481751476858.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12/15/dawn-of-war-3-ork-faction-reveal-ign-first

DAKKA DAKKA

Tworak

I don't "get it" yet. after playing a lot of COH1, COH2 and DOW2, this just seems like it's a decade-long step back. I am hoping I am wrong, though.

Vitor711

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I SAY.

Really wish Warhammer 40K games would bring out the weird racers more often. Orks are cool and all but man, pretty overdone.

Miker

Man it's crazy that the graphics, while great, don't look *that* much better than DoW II: Retribution, which is almost 6 years old. Really speaks to Relic pushing the RTS envelope w/ their engines.

ISee

Man it's crazy that the graphics, while great, don't look *that* much better than DoW II: Retribution, which is almost 6 years old. Really speaks to Relic pushing the RTS envelope w/ their engines.

AFAIK they 'recently' tuned down some stuff to be able to go for more units (with better performance).

I don't "get it" yet. after playing a lot of COH1, COH2 and DOW2, this just seems like it's a decade-long step back. I am hoping I am wrong, though.

It is not a step back imho. It seems to be a mix of DoW1 and 2. I liked both DoW1 and 2, but it definetly were totally different games. I like that they are mixing it up again.
Also, I always welcome every new RTS with basebuilding!

zeox

AFAIK they 'recently' tuned down some stuff to be able to go for more units (with better performance).

yeah, DoW3 has a pop-cap of 250, which is bigger than any of the other games, including DoW and CoH (I think?)

Koobion

I am unbelievably excited for this game. The original Dawn of War is one of my favorite games.

I need a Squiggoth in my life.

Mrbob

Did you play the first dawn of war? There are a bunch of fans of the first game and dow1 plays more like StarCraft than dow2. Dow3 is a mixture of dow1 and dow2. I think Relic will be able to pull off the melding of the two games. I prefer dow2 overall but that game lacks the big scale battles which I'm looking forward too in dow3.
Plus I like the fact the series is going back to being a RTS again.

Protein

Banned
I loved the multi-player. I sucked but I enjoyed spectating matches too. Two guys in the lobby apparently had some sort of blood rivalry. In the match, one guy was like "imma rush the fuck out of you." Then he rushed some assault marines with jet packs and murdered him instantly and gg'd while the other guy said "fuck you" and signed off. Good times.

I really want to see the Tau and Imperial Guard return but knowing every company that's made games for Games Workshop all the cool races will get delegated to expansion packs or not included at all.

Tacitus_

Gorgutz has appeared in ​Winter Assault, ​Dark Crusade, and ​Soulstorm. When we first saw him, he was a Warlord leading a WAAAGH on Lorn V. He’s always ruled with an iron klaw, as is Ork “kustom,” and is perhaps a touch over eager about making bloody examples of the boyz under his command.

Gorgutz is back! I wonder if Stupid survived.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really want to see the Tau and Imperial Guard return but knowing every company that's made games for Games Workshop all the cool races will get delegated to expansion packs or not included at all.

I'm under the impression the only three factions at launch are Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks.

Nzyme32

It's all about units size and scale this time, so you should expect lower fidelity in favour of bigger battles

Keasar

I'm under the impression the only three factions at launch are Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks.

That is how it will be for now. Hopefully we see the return of other races like the Astra Militarum, Chaos, Tau, Necrons etc. in expansions. Mostly the Astra Militarum, love me some Imperial Guard.

KodaRuss

Can we go two decades back and get Command and Conquer again?

Strategy games is the one genre I miss since I dont have a decent PC to run anything.

Mupod

been a real long time since I played an actual RTS. Probably DoW2.

Not super interested in the multiplayer unless they bring Last Stand back. That was a lot of fun, as was the campaign co-op.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Base building is always a step forward.

No, it's not. It destroys any interest I have in actually playing this game. Good for the people who miss this style but Dawn of War 2 was one of my favorite games I've played in recent years and I won't be buying this one. Can't really complain because this fits the setting better and is more in line with the first of the series, but it's disappointing.

Tacitus_

They're going to have actual Gargants in the game? Wow.
Morkanauts and/or Gorkanauts probably. Stompas and Gargants are a bit too large as the other factions get Knights as their super units.
Can we go two decades back and get Command and Conquer again?

Strategy games is the one genre I miss since I dont have a decent PC to run anything.

Might I interest you in 8-bit Armies? Very basic C&C style gameplay from the ex-Westwood guys (and Klepacki scores it too!). If your computer was made in this decade it should run it.

KodaRuss

Morkanauts and/or Gorkanauts probably. Stompas and Gargants are a bit too large as the other factions get Knights as their super units.

Might I interest you in 8-bit Armies? Very basic C&C style gameplay from the ex-Westwood guys (and Klepacki scores it too!). If your computer was made in this decade it should run it.

Thanks for the tip. I might check that out.

Timeaisis

Wait a minute...DoWIII has base building? Well now...might actually play this one. I'm one of the few who really hated DoWII's turn to top-down tactics.

Decado

I don't really understand how the game will flow. Like DoW2 with some base building (maybe like company of heroes) or DoW1?

Tacitus_

I don't really understand how the game will flow. Like DoW2 with some base building (maybe like company of heroes) or DoW1?

Mix of DoW 1 + 2. You build bases, collect resources and make armies, but you also have a hero unit or couple. The Bloody Magpies have Angelos and the Imperial Knight. The Eldar have a Farseer a Wraithknight.

Proelite

I don't think base building is the correct term to use for what DOW 2 was missing. It was missing an in depth macro component which includes resources management, research, upgrades, and unit production expansion. You can have all of that off of one building.

Honestly you can replace all the base building in Starcraft, AOE, etc with a specialized tech unlock units (ala the commanders in US Forces Company of Heroes 2) or a research tree.

The macro + micro is what constitutes a traditional base building RTS. Replacing base building with a specialized units or research tree is actually the better way forward.

Man, so excited for this. I'm so glad they're bringing back base building, I just could not get into DoW2 without it. Relic! Relic! Woo!

Miker

You won't see a proppa' mob like this in Retribution

It's all about units size and scale this time, so you should expect lower fidelity in favour of bigger battles

Nah, I'm saying that DoW 3's graphics are great, but six years later, I'm still really impressed by Relic's older engine they used w/ CoH/DoW II.

Ushay

Well.. Time to rebuild my PC again, there was o e game that ducked well over 200 hours of my life on PC and it was Dow 2.

Anno

This looks significantly better than the Space Marine videos they lead with. I love how dark the game is whIle still being really colorful.

derFeef

This looks significantly better than the Space Marine videos they lead with. I love how dark the game is whIle still being really colorful.

Yea, much better, it looks less cartoony. Even if I did not have huge problems with the style, the maps they show here are far better.

Jeiiya

I'm very excited for this game because it seems like its taking the best parts of DoW1 and DoW2, but that Ork trailer was a little disappointing. I know it's an early look, but the lack of voice acting makes the action feel flat. Also, during the bomb squig scene, without physics/ragdolling it looks really weird.

All that said, I'm totally down to jump into DoW3.

Laiza

I am bloody excited!

I still want my Tau, though. The fact that they skipped out on 2 entirely (aside from one Last Stand commander) totally grinds my gears. They have got to rectify that - at the very least, by including them in the first expansion.

derFeef

I am bloody excited!

I still want my Tau, though. The fact that they skipped out on 2 entirely (aside from one Last Stand commander) totally grinds my gears. They have got to rectify that - at the very least, by including them in the first expansion.

First expansion Chaos Marines... ;)

I don't think base building is the correct term to use for what DOW 2 was missing. It was missing an in depth macro component which includes resources management, research, upgrades, and unit production expansion. You can have all of that off of one building.

Honestly you can replace all the base building in Starcraft, AOE, etc with a specialized tech unlock units (ala the commanders in US Forces Company of Heroes 2) or a research tree.

The macro + micro is what constitutes a traditional base building RTS. Replacing base building with a specialized units or research tree is actually the better way forward.

Most people who want bases and blob vs blob battles are playing single-player. The game gets boring when you try to force multi-player micro mechanics/tactics over the expansion of base/army into "epic" blobs. That is why people hated DoW2... You get visual reward for playing, but you have to appreciate micro and skillshots of DoW2 to feel good when playing correctly.

This is by far the worst way to introduce a multiplayer game: two units or blobs bashing at each other without tactics/cover/micro. They don't even have Orc sounds yet... Tau Empire/Necrons are years away.

Laiza

Wow, that footage is impressive. It's particularly impressive that they have dynamic shadow casting on dynamic light sources, something you RARELY see in modern video games.

Looks far better than the initial footage they showed, that's for damn sure. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this.

First expansion Chaos Marines... ;)
No way they don't launch with Chaos.
If they don't include them at launch (wouldn't shock me if they stuck with just three races this time), they would obviously be in for the first expansion.

I'm kind of hoping that they include more than one faction in each expansion, though. Wishful thinking, probably.

Top Bottom