• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn of War III announced, trailer, coming in 2017

Heresy%2BTRain.png

grendelrt

Man what a cool put together trailer, the part where the imperial knights bust in is just fucking epic. Hope they show gameplay soon or at E3.

Qvoth

For multiplayer, inspired by Dota's hero selection phase, Relic designers are considering an element of pick and counter-pick to the pre-battle screen, though they're yet to show exactly how this will work.
uhh taking cues from MOBAs?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Base building?? Fuck yes!

Sega being the ones who bought Relic really turned out better than I ever expected. What a pleasant outcome.

I thought DoW 2's emphasis on squad based combat was refreshing. Don't know why base building is such a big deal... Hardly even missed it in DoW 2. Skirmish mode was brilliant but goddamn that learning curve. It's a shame most Dow 2 players never bothered to give it a chance

Also, the campaign in DoW2 and especially chaos rising was brilliant. I loved how the rpg mechanics of character progression and loot was tied into the story.

K.Sabot

Nah, trailer for the second game was the bes

"THis planet is ours, witch!"
"No, this planet....is theirs" and she points up to the Hive fleet blocking out the sun

Don't forget the Juggernaut.

"I have come to destroy you."

*melt's an eldar's face with a flame thrower*

LordRaptor

Hmmm... those 'screenshots' don't actually look like screenshots now I see them at non-postage stamp size, they look like concept art

e: or if they are screenshots, DoW3s art direction has gone fully hand painted textures a la WoW

Helznicht

Looks like I have some new wallpapers for my PC. And is it wrong that I want VR support so I can play with my little army men virtually?

It looks like a mix of the DoW1 and DoW2 gameplay systems.
Should be good, so long as the heroes are balanced with the cannon-fodder grunts.
My only other concern is avoiding a clusterfuck of micromanagement hell, but it sounds like they're trying to make it easy to see what's going on (e.g. exaggerated tracer fire).

I really like the idea of having disposable units fighting alongside persistent heroes.
I really liked the 'loot game' aspects of DoW2. I completed the chaos expansion a couple of times and ended up with very different heroes because of the diverging upgrade/loot paths.

I assume the canon ending of DoW2:CR will involve your Captain being a good guy.

What if they did big expansions with 3-faction campaigns for each?

What would you want to see?

Expac 1 - Chaos, Dark Eldar, Tau
Expac 2 - Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Necrons

After looking at it some more...only 3 elite slots that you have to decide on before the battle, a "dota 2" inspired hero system, no unit appearance variety (so far), 3 races only, extremely bright colours that are out of place (as in lacking detail), Imperial Knights forced in for some reason, a simplified cover system, their "most accessible RTS yet" when the original wasn't complicated at all, "close detail has been sacrificed"...

The base building & scale sound great, but that other stuff is a concern. I really hope those don't let it down.

Fitz

What if they did big expansions with 3-faction campaigns for each?

What would you want to see?

Expac 1 - Chaos, Dark Eldar, Tau
Expac 2 - Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Necrons

With that format I'd rather Guard, Tau, Nids first, followed by Chaos, Necrons and either Dark Elder or the Inquisition.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
BASE BUILDING! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo! Let this be a shiny beacon, a symbol that all that once was can be again!

Mindwipe

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. More base building with ludicrous heroes fits 40k perfectly.

Excitement levels rising.

Give me Noise Marine DLC next.

Alric

Really great news. I'm also open to try whatever they do. I was skeptical of DoW2 at first but I actually like it a lot on its own merits. That increased tactical side to it was great. A throwback to DoW1 is also great so whatever they choose i'll definitely give it a try.

Llyranor

I hope they retain the coop campaign. Given that this is a mix of 1 and 2, it could work well re: splitting tasks, eg. One player handles more of the RTS elements, while the other controls/micros more of the heroes.

Top Bottom