• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn of War III announced, trailer, coming in 2017

They sold me at the wraithknight.

What if they did big expansions with 3-faction campaigns for each?

What would you want to see?

Expac 1 - Chaos, Dark Eldar, Tau
Expac 2 - Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Necrons

I mean, unless they're going to give us different astartes chapters that's it. I don't see them giving a whole slot to the Inquisition or something. Though if they were going to give us astartes chapters some space wolves, dark angels and grey knights would be nice.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I hope they retain the coop campaign. Given that this is a mix of 1 and 2, it could work well re: splitting tasks, eg. One player handles more of the RTS elements, while the other controls/micros more of the heroes.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/285190/

A NEW DAWN ONLINE
Your army will wreak havoc in online co-operative mode. Join the multiplayer community and forge new alliances - then turn the tables on your new 'friends' as they become foes in explosive, chaotic and competitive maps.

ArjanN

I mean, unless they're going to give us different astartes chapters that's it. I don't see them giving a whole slot to the Inquisition or something. Though if they were going to give us astartes chapters some space wolves, dark angels and grey knights would be nice.

Inquisition was a seperate race in DoW2 and Sisters of Battle was one in DoW1:Soulstorm so I don't see why not. IMO it's pretty obvious nowadays they'll intend for this to be a constantly updated thing through expansions/DLC, Realistically there's probably no other way you can do a big budget RTS in 2017.

Inquisition and Sisters of Battle were already their own factions in DOW1 and 2 so they could bring them in along with one more if they do 3 expansions or so. If that is their strategy at all, who knows. They could also do smaller more frequent additions and give each their own smaller campaigns.

I just want Tyranids, Dark Eldar and Tau ASAP :)

39896_7bd0969e1068e9e09a9c46ba472a893f.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Even in death, I still served.

By which I mean, DoW1 and its expansions were the first games I always downloaded when upgrading to a new PC or laptop. I knew DoW3 would be announced one day. It's so super awesome that it's not a MOBA or F2P mobile game or some other bastardization.

Waaghals

I am a big fan of the universe, and the first game i particular.

I like the trailer, but I do not enjoy the art style they have gone with, I do not think it is attractive whatsoever.

Geist-

Those in-game screenshots kind of look like they're bringing back the style and scale of Dawn of War 1. I'm okay with that.

Can't wait for this game. Relic are the best rts developers around and DoW 3 sounds great. Hopefully it is a sales monster and thy can pump more cash into company of heroes.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I really am happy they are going back to this style of game. Except for the look of the Dreadnoughts, which look weird and not how I remember them, everything in this trailer looks amazing. The screenshots look even better, since there is actual color on the units and it isn't a muddy mess. Pretty excited to see what they do!

Geist-

I really am happy they are going back to this style of game. Except for the look of the Dreadnoughts, which look weird and not how I remember them, everything in this trailer looks amazing. The screenshots look even better, since there is actual color on the units and it isn't a muddy mess. Pretty excited to see what they do!

I might have missed the actual dreadnoughts when I watched the trailer, but I'm pretty sure they only showed Imperial Knights in there. Which are pretty much mini-Titans.

99120108005_IMPERIALKNIGHTWARDEN01.jpg

ArjanN

Those in-game screenshots kind of look like they're bringing back the style and scale of Dawn of War 1. I'm okay with that.

it's honestly looks far more like DoW2 in those screenshots to me. In MP you'd definitely have these kinds of numbers running around.

Ah the Lexicanum, I read a lot about W40K in this site. But what about books, novels, etc? Are they good?

There is so much material and so many authors that its really a mixed bag.

I suggest gravitating towards a race/theme that you are attracted to and read a codex or book based around that. The Space Marine Battle Books are a good place to start. They'll center around a particular conflict and you can usually find a book about 2 armies you are interested in fighting one another.

I believe the very best way for first timers to start reading into the universe is to grab a collection of short stories and then go from there. You get a nice selection of the variety of types of stories that take place in the 40k universe and it will nudge you into bigger and better things.

The elephant in the room is the Horus Heresy collection, currently at 37 novels with no end in sight. They are pretty good IMO, but I wouldn't throw someone into the deep end like that, lol!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super psyched that they put out the Necron in Last Stand because it means they're not ignoring them. I have high hopes to see them in DOW3 at some point. Love the Necrons with all my soul. They WILL conquer everything, just give them a little time. Maybe a lot of time.

Oreoleo

I get why they would put base-building in, with where the market is right now in regards to RTS vs MOBA. But man, I wish they wouldn't.

Enosh

The elephant in the room is the Horus Heresy collection, currently at 37 novels with no end in sight. They are pretty good IMO, but I wouldn't throw someone into the deep end like that, lol!
the first 3 or 4 are a pretty good start to it, although some of finer details require some previous 40k knowledge, since they don't explain everything, but it isn't necessary

Miker

OH man that CG trailer was dope!

Only 3 races though?

Judging from their past DLC model, there'll be /plenty/ more down the line. I'm worried that, like a lot of other big-budget sequels, it won't have all the modes everybody liked from older games at launch. For some reason I don't see both co-op campaign and Last Stand making it in at launch.

Laieon

I haven't played Dawn of War 1 or 2. I guess those didn't have base building.

As someone who's favorite parts of RTS games (RIP Ensemble) IS base building though and there's a severe lack of RTS games right now, I'm more than willing to try this one out.

Ketch

ugghhghhh hnnnngggg

so good.

i would pay $60 just for the cutscenes. Relic's warhammer stuff is the best warhammer anything ever.

Toxi

Banned

Remember when the Sisters of Battles were a thing? :(

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I haven't played Dawn of War 1 or 2. I guess those didn't have base building.
DOW had base building and a three expansion packs that made it content galore

DOW2 kinda went for this weird squad based strategy game shtick which, although not bad, was quite dismaying after coming from DOW1.

I'm wondering now how they'll combine the two play styles here as they claim

Either way, at least with DOW2, they decided to experiment immediately instead of a certain 2 decade long trademark RTS franchise that decided to shift to some eSports control point formula at the very last entry COUGHCommand&ConquerCOUGH

Dreavus

In a weird way it's kind of fitting for Chaos to be absent in the first game. In pre-expansion DOW 2 they were kind of clawing at the edges of the storyline but didn't actually appear until Chaos Rising.

ugghhghhh hnnnngggg

so good.

i would pay $60 just for the cutscenes. Relic's warhammer stuff is the best warhammer anything ever.

It is so fucking good.

For some strange reason I thought Relic was in trouble thanks to the THQ fiasco but they are, in fact, still trucking along.

Top Bottom