• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

Skyr

I'm about 6-7 hours into the game.

I should just avoid the hordes for now until I get better gear? Im having trouble with 4-5 of them chasing me at the same time so 100+ is just insane.
Yes. Hordes are meant for the last third of the main story and for post story.
You will get substantially stronger later in the game with better weapons and skills.

scalman

Ohh i got sniped on that mission too. Then i went around and cleaned all those camps killed everyone of them. Now i can ride there no worries.

Mista

Banned
I found out the best way to increase camp xp is by saving survivors and sending them to the camp you want. Anyone has a different method than this?

Doom85

I should just avoid the hordes for now until I get better gear? Im having trouble with 4-5 of them chasing me at the same time so 100+ is just insane.

I think it depends on the horde as they seem to vary in size. There was one near a NERO camp (the ones where you get the generator going, disable the sirens, and you can use the bed inside to sleep) that were hanging around inside a train, it took a few tries but with the can of gasoline that was nearby and a few molotovs I was able to take out most of them and shoot down the remaining ones.

There was another that practically screamed how easy it would be, they were roaming near a lake and there couldn't have been more than 50 of them. Threw an attractor and then a pipe bomb and then hit them with molotovs and shot down the few survivors all in one try.

The last horde I ran into inside a cave, no way, the number of them were insane. I tried many times but after luring a ton outside and managing to wipe them I returned to the cave and found there were still dozens and dozens remaining. I know the horde starts to respawn if you don't completely eliminate them but I can't imagine it does so that quickly. Since I had barely any ammo left by this point and no explosives I decided to just GTFO.

Oh, I forgot, I ran into one when I was getting the 5 deer meat for that one mission but didn't even try it, I had a hard time tracking down the last deer since zombies kept startling it and just wanted to wrap up the mission already.

Reactions: Isa

DanielsM

Banned
The Hordes are kind of like the buffalo in Dances with Wolves. (the movie version is slightly different)

DUNBAR
How come we haven't seen any buffalo?

TIMMONS
Can't figger the stinkin' buffalo.
Sometimes you don't see 'em for days,
sometimes they're thick as curls on
a whore.

Oh, I forgot, I ran into one when I was getting the 5 deer meat for that one mission but didn't even try it, I had a hard time tracking down the last deer since zombies kept startling it and just wanted to wrap up the mission already.

That was one of the most terrifying gaming experiences I have ever had. I went down into that valley at night to get the deer, well, I shoot one and all the zombies came pouring down like water. Had to be 400-500 hundred of them down there with me. I was hiding in the grass as they started hunting all the deer, they took down 4 of them for me.... watching them scrabble up the hill and over rocks was just crazy looking going after the deer.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Ok
So it sounds like a solid 8 out of ten.

I do kinda wish a bunch of you came in here writing something like, “Oh my god, this game is a frikkin 10!” because I probably would have made the plunge and bought it by now-

But all I’m really seeing are comments like “it’s definitely not a 6. It’s more like an 8”.

My summation based on all the comments are that it’s like Red Dead Redemption II (which critics incorrectly gave a 9.5 but users like us gave an 8)

Ok

I do kinda wish a bunch of you came in here writing something like, “Oh my god, this game is a frikkin 10!” because I probably would have made the plunge and bought it by now-

But all I’m really seeing are comments like “it’s definitely not a 6. It’s more like an 8”.

My summation based on all the comments are that it’s like Red Dead Redemption II (which critics incorrectly gave a 9.5 but users like us gave an 8)

I would say this is an ok assumption. You really have to play it to see if you like it. I don't regret buying the digital copy from a fellow gamer for $48. It's been well worth by time.

scalman

Didint saw snow yet im waiting for that. Traps over road like ropes sure i never go where i think could be ambush i like to stop at those places and explore as many places as i can so i had no probs with that too.
Just got recipe for baseball bat with saw that could be awesome weapon will see how durable it is. Skills are great im choosing couple from there and there not just one branch doing just as i want to play it.
Morr i play more i like it so far. Will leave now main missions on side and do some side stuff more and some random points cleaning. Shame that they dont get you some special melee weapon on those but still enjoying game.

Fake

I almost beating the game. Never face any horde because they're god damn hard and really scary.
But in some story event you will face anw.
Focus on Nero stations and getting skills.

I reached 40 hours played last night and I’m pretty sure I’m in the final act of the story. I’m trying to wait until the end to post some spoiler thoughts but it’s hard for me to not get a few things off my chest

So, spoilers

So after all this time and all this searching and that’s the reunion/reaction we get? How did Sarah know that Deek was just posing in order to infiltrate the camp to look for her? She has no idea what he’s been doing, for all she knew he was there as a legit recruit and this was just dumb luck they got reunited. My suspension of disbelief is tested a little when they are both able to play it so cool and act like they don’t know each other while barely flinching.

Also, I’m pretty sure as soon as Deek saw that ring on Kouri he would have pulled out a gun and demanded to know where he got that ring from.

Also, the Skizzo betrayal with the rippers was telegraphed pretty badly but I’ll admit they at least kept you guessing on when it was gonna happen, to the point where you’re thinking “it’s gonna be here, oh nope, oh it’s gonna be here, nope, ok maybe Skizzo is cool oh nope it happened.”

I don’t know if Lisa pops up again at some point but at this point it almost feels like Lisa originally had a bigger part in the story but someone told them “this is too much like TLOU” so they wrote her out early.

Anyway I’m curious to see how this ends. I’m just now completing my first couple missions for the the Wizard Island camp.

vpance

Finally killed that horde near the train. Apart from the first encounter they were always spread out roaming around, so without an attractor it was hard to kill them all off together.

But this one time riding past they were all grouped (maybe because it was night? Or the rain?) and I took em all out with 1 pipe bomb thrown at an explosives crate and 3 molotovs tossed behind me on the run.

Shakka43

I reached 40 hours played last night and I’m pretty sure I’m in the final act of the story. I’m trying to wait until the end to post some spoiler thoughts but it’s hard for me to not get a few things off my chest

So, spoilers

So after all this time and all this searching and that’s the reunion/reaction we get? How did Sarah know that Deek was just posing in order to infiltrate the camp to look for her? She has no idea what he’s been doing, for all she knew he was there as a legit recruit and this was just dumb luck they got reunited. My suspension of disbelief is tested a little when they are both able to play it so cool and act like they don’t know each other while barely flinching.

Also, I’m pretty sure as soon as Deek saw that ring on Kouri he would have pulled out a gun and demanded to know where he got that ring from.

Also, the Skizzo betrayal with the rippers was telegraphed pretty badly but I’ll admit they at least kept you guessing on when it was gonna happen, to the point where you’re thinking “it’s gonna be here, oh nope, oh it’s gonna be here, nope, ok maybe Skizzo is cool oh nope it happened.”

I don’t know if Lisa pops up again at some point but at this point it almost feels like Lisa originally had a bigger part in the story but someone told them “this is too much like TLOU” so they wrote her out early.

Anyway I’m curious to see how this ends. I’m just now completing my first couple missions for the the Wizard Island camp.
Where do you check the time played stats?

Fake

The last camp is really hiting base ps4 hard. Damn, they need to adress this. Its a shame you can only send feedback via reddit.

scalman

Met maybe one larger horde and find ways to deal with them. But game is not about that at all not what trailers shown at all. You have lots choices how to play what to do more freedom then say rdr2 had for sure.

DanielsM

Banned
The last camp is really hiting base ps4 hard. Damn, they need to adress this. Its a shame you can only send feedback via reddit.

Yeah, I think that is the worse part of this game - performance, bugs, and glitches. I really haven't had any huge problems but its apparent that there are quite a lot (looking at reddit), this one needed 3-4 months baking yet. :messenger_crying: Loving the game, but it would have been nicer if it didn't have all the issues - I have my doubts all of this will be solved post-release. (they need to do much better next time)

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that is the worse part of this game - performance, bugs, and glitches. I really haven't had any huge problems but its apparent that there are quite a lot (looking at reddit), this one needed 3-4 months baking yet. :messenger_crying: Loving the game, but it would have been nicer if it didn't have all the issues - I have my doubts all of this will be solved post-release. (they need to do much better next time)

Make makes me wonder how it was performing before the delay. Must have been chop city

Last edited:

Fake

Thats why I give this game a 7.0 or higher. Still not beat yeat, but yeah. Perfomance was a great dissapointment after playing UCLL, GoW and Horizon Zero Dawn.
I want to help, but looks like they don't want my help, so cool. Gonna give then my Deacon style for now.

TrainedRage

Banned

So, spoilers

I'm in pretty much the same spot. And I agree with your assessment of the late game story. With how spaced out most of the game was the last act (while very exciting) felt pretty rushed and abrupt. I think they could have had an even slower burn.

I'm honestly impressed at how this game pulled me in. More so than RDR or even RE2. I can't even really say why. Maybe it's some nostalgia mixed with my love for motorcycles and guns. And hate on Deek all you want but I absolutely love how his character acts.

It's like the Devs made the game they wanted to make and didn't make concession to any other agendas like many games do now. And it shows. In a good way.

Never thought of facing them. I always hop on my bike and GTFO

Doing Marauder Camps is the quickest way to get the tools you need to deal with hordes since there's one particular item it gives thats really effective against them. Even then it's a while before you'll be able to get it.

The other way is through shooting skills. Much of the later shooting talents are absolutely essential for taking down the stragglers in hordes that are too spread out to deal with explosives.

Mista

Banned
Doing Marauder Camps is the quickest way to get the tools you need to deal with hordes since there's one particular item it gives thats really effective against them. Even then it's a while before you'll be able to get it.

The other way is through shooting skills. Much of the later shooting talents are absolutely essential for taking down the stragglers in hordes that are too spread out to deal with explosives.
What is this particular item?

DanielsM

Banned
Some pics from my nest haunting last night. Very hard to get the horde to cooperate when taking photos. :messenger_beaming: They never really smile.

p3NaLO5.jpg
J9bes8N.jpg
SaeX3kk.jpg

Here is why I love Days Gone so much minus the performance hit this guy takes, these are things that really make the game stand out from anything else going on in gaming, imo.

bitbydeath

Ok

For comparison sake.

RDR2 is 6-7.
Days Gone is 8-9

IMO

What is this particular item?

In the menu screen go to storylines>progress>ambush camps. It will show you the rewards you get for each marauder camp. The rewards are sequential and not tied to any particular camp. But you get all sorts of craftable explosives that are good for taking out hordes.

It also shows the rewards you get for killing hordes which I've only gotten the first reward but it's a really darn good smg that takes your sidearm slot.

Mista

Banned
In the menu screen go to storylines>progress>ambush camps. It will show you the rewards you get for each marauder camp. The rewards are sequential and not tied to any particular camp. But you get all sorts of craftable explosives that are good for taking out hordes.

It also shows the rewards you get for killing hordes which I've only gotten the first reward but it's a really darn good smg that takes your sidearm slot.
Oh baby I’d love me an SMG! Would be great to shred all those freaks mid-range

Holy fucking shit, I just reached the lumber mill by the nero checkpoint in lost lake. O_O

That's gotta be more than one horde.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I went to a NERO site that I can’t go to. There was a jump I think and my bike can’t make it. Some sites are meant to be for later when you have better upgrades?

Mista

Banned
I think you are right, I have the same problem.
Oh wait I forgot the I have Nitros! Maybe I’ll go back again there and try. Also, don’t forget to clear nests as soon as possible. You don’t have to fight them, just throw your Molotov on a nest, hop on your bike and POOOF you outta there baby

Top Bottom