• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

Mista

Banned
No. Trust me. Health is very important. Unless you're playing on normal difficult. If so, you can mix health and stamina.
Yeah I’m playing on normal. Want to sit back and relax actually. Need a break from games handing me over my butt. But I think I can do this on hard! The game isn’t challenging much

Fake

I thought the shooting was awful at the beginning, originally I said it was worse than RDR2 but it gets better as you get newer weapons and unlock things like focus.
Its because early game. You update skill tree to improve accuracy.
Yeah I’m playing on normal. Want to sit back and relax actually. Need a break from games handing me over my butt. But I think I can do this on hard! The game isn’t challenging much
Most of people playing this game recommend stamina because they keeping exploring the world and keep very afar from the bike. I always put my bike close for a fast run. On hard you take high damage from bike take down and the bike almost break most of the time. Run out 'craps' and you gonna need back to camp and waste a lot of credit for bring back the bike.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Most of people playing this game recommend stamina because they keeping exploring the world and keep very afar from the bike. I always put my bike close for a fast run. On hard you take high damage from bike take down and the bike almost break most of the time. Run out 'craps' and you gonna need back to camp and waste a lot of credit for bring back the bike.
This is frustrating! I’ll stay in normal then. I’m already pissed at those sniper aim bots

scalman

Thought game not good first then watched real gameplay and bought it next day.
And now enjoying it. Just got lvl2 trust on frist camp and did almost all mod stuff on bike now its cool and strong.
Missions with old memories where sweet and emotional. I like those kinf most. And then saving one girl was epic. Good old tlou emotional style. Would like more missions like those. Keeps me glued to screen.
Graphic on Pro with supersampling on 1080p its just epic. All details so good not much blur and all smallest grass or hair have that perfect AA to them.
Sound just amazing too.
Fights good stealth works as i like it.
Cleaning posts is great.
Just noy enough loot . most times im full on everything and there is plenty same loot all over places that you no need anymore. But its fine

I think I’ve got that wall where it’s no longer an interesting story but a fucking boring grind....just got into the wizard hill area

I’m not finding it fun anymore:(

Eiknarf

So, from what most everyone in here is saying, it sounds like “...it’s not a 5 or 6 game...”, and it’s “...not a 9 or 10” game,..”

So that leaves it as being around a 7 or 8 game... which is exactly where its average is landing over at Metacritic :

72 (or 7.2) from critics
80 (or 8.0) from users

So the Metacritic average is accurate

DanielsM

Banned
So, from what most everyone in here is saying, it sounds like “...it’s not a 5 or 6 game...”, and it’s “...not a 9 or 10” game,..”

So that leaves it as being around a 7 or 8 game... which is exactly where its average is landing over at Metacritic :

72 (or 7.2) from critics
80 (or 8.0) from users

So the Metacritic average is accurate
User averages don't mean shit.... users will general give it a 10 or 0, for obvious reasons on polling sites. I rate the game a 8.5 yesterday (back a page), I would say its a 9-ish type game for my tastes, but you have to knock it down because of bugs, pacing, loading, etc. With that said, to me its a much better game than Horizon and let's be honest, its a better game than Red Dead Redemption 2.... which is basically the competition. Not that those games are bad, they really aren't but the same issues that existed in those titles... many reviewers used as a reason to lower the score in this one.

I could see scores ranging from 70 - 95, anything at or below 65 is kind of suspect... either 1.) they have some type of issue or 2) they are not very good at their job for my tastes. Basically, the MC is at Mad Max levels, which this game actually borrows some DNA, but this game is on a whole another level. Gamespot actually rated Mad Max higher. The MC should have been in the high 70s at the very least, more like low 80s. Its my #2 favorite game this cycle after Bloodborne, but that's just one opinion - there are obviously some technical issues for some people, I've hit very few issues but on reddit its obvious some have problems with the game, it would have been nicer if it was more stable at release.

Not every game is for everyone, either way... not sure why people visit some of those websites, most of them have been on my block list for years for obvious reasons. To me its water under the bridge and it doesn't appear sales were impacted much by the lower reviews, Bend needs to do better in some areas for the sequel though, very good start - expecting 4-7 million units its first year, probably not quite Horizon numbers.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Assuming this is reasonable correct, good sales for a new IP, just not quite Horizon numbers. :messenger_horns: I believe Horizon did 2.6m its first month, my guess remains about the same 1.5 - 2m units its first month, 4-7m units its first year. Of course, most of this was developed with less then half the employees of GG. They just need to clean up some stuff and make a sequel better than DG1.

Last edited:
The shooting in this game is plain terrible. If the shooting was tightened up I'd enjoy this game a lot more. Right now it just feels sluggish and unresponsive. I'd love is PS4 gave me the option for kb+m for at least single player games.

An issue I have with the shooting is it feels like there’s a huge deadzone with the right stick that can’t be adjusted in-game.

ksdixon

Thought game not good first then watched real gameplay and bought it next day.
And now enjoying it. Just got lvl2 trust on frist camp and did almost all mod stuff on bike now its cool and strong.
Missions with old memories where sweet and emotional. I like those kinf most. And then saving one girl was epic. Good old tlou emotional style. Would like more missions like those. Keeps me glued to screen.
Graphic on Pro with supersampling on 1080p its just epic. All details so good not much blur and all smallest grass or hair have that perfect AA to them.
Sound just amazing too.
Fights good stealth works as i like it.
Cleaning posts is great.
Just noy enough loot . most times im full on everything and there is plenty same loot all over places that you no need anymore. But its fine

"real" gameplay? How do you mean?

ksdixon

Here's a weird question...

I dislike open world games. Can this game's setting/story overcome the open world mechanics? I'm quite hyped/suffering from fomo, but wouldn't want it to sit on the shelf similar to Horizon Zero Dawn (which I swear I'll go back to one day, lol, because I'm still interested in its story and haven't had the twist spoiled for me yet).

An issue I have with the shooting is it feels like there’s a huge deadzone with the right stick that can’t be adjusted in-game.
Yeah, this is exactly the issue I have with it too. It drives me crazy, because if it didn't have this problem I'd really be in love with the game. It reminds me a lot of RDR2 where I really enjoy a lot of what's offered but HATE how awful the controls are.

These damn Marauder camps, I hate how they're like randomly out in the edges. I stumbled upon one near Copelands and cleared it, got the map and it didn't reveal anything else on the map. :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

I'm near 9-10 hours into the game and I feel like I'm missing something.

I dislike open world games. Can this game's setting/story overcome the open world mechanics? I'm quite hyped/suffering from fomo, but wouldn't want it to sit on the shelf similar to Horizon Zero Dawn (which I swear I'll go back to one day, lol, because I'm still interested in its story and haven't had the twist spoiled for me yet).

Subjective, but no. The story is nothing groundbreaking and it´s let down a lot by some presentation issues like jarring gameplay/cutscene transitions and questionable voice acting and audio mixing. If you´re looking at the game purely for story i would hold off on buying it, especially if its full price.

DanielsM

Banned

I'm actually similar (dislike open world games), but it depends. I'm still early at 15 hours and only about 15% of the main mission list (I spend a lot of time playing with the zombies and bike :messenger_beaming:)... the story is okay for what they are trying to do, its a little messy at the beginning of the game... and most of the beginning of the game has limited story at least for me at this point. I would say the game shares a ton with Mad Max in the open world department and some things from RDR2, the combat mechanics are to me quite varied (Uncharted/TLOU (shooting/melee), Horizon (traps), and Mad Max/Rage (crafting)), and are actually huge.... compare to Horizon or something like RDR2.

I thought the underlying story of Horizon was great, meaning explaining what happened to the world, what wasn't great to me was the narrative and story elements on top of that.... the dialogue and dialogue trees were horrible to me, and the characters were kind of bad to me. RDR2 is all about the story and variety of situation, combat not so much.

I would probably suggest you hold off, at least wait till it goes on discount in 6-9 months or something. Worse case, you buy the game.... I would probably stick to the main story mission so you don't get burned out with side missions.

Horizon is about a good combat with the dinosaurs and the bigger story.
RDR2 is about watching a movie i.e. story and putting you in a huge variety of situations.
Days Gone is about the eco-system of all the AI systems working together, a bike, and all the game mechanics.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

What do you not like? Deek is one of the few characters with a moral compass in the entire game. He's a paragon compared to everyone else.
The awkward grumbling and talking to himself when he's clearing out camps and fighting in general, a wife with a job like that being so into a biker and bike culture, Deacon putting up with that she immediately goes back to work after accepting his proposal.

Iron Mike seemed more likable to me than Deacon.

I get that Deacon has been through things to survive, that doesn't make him likable or very interesting to me.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I think I’m at the first horde that you NEED to get rid of to progress the story (the area with the hills of bodies with the boxcars on the bridge and its some Boozer related mission) and I have no idea how I should go about it.

I’m thinking throw an attractor near that fuel truck, get up on high ground, and just wait till they all surround it and BOOM.

I made real good progress last night. Got Copeland and Tuckers trust level to 2. Bought a new pump shotty and some sort of cool looking auto rifle along with new wheels for the bike, new tires, a sack to hold extra ammo and the larger fuel tank (which does make a bit of a difference). Also found three more Nero research stations and got the shots. They were deep inside caves though which were tense as fuck to venture into. Somehow I was able to get in and get out of each of them while the freaker denizens were out and about.

vpance

^ Definitely attractor on the fuel truck. I still need to go back there at some point to clean them out, but I have no more attractor devices.

Shakka43

Question for those which have 100% the game, are the enough Nero sites to fully upgrade all three endurance bars(health, stamina and focus)?

I think I’m at the first horde that you NEED to get rid of to progress the story (the area with the hills of bodies with the boxcars on the bridge and its some Boozer related mission) and I have no idea how I should go about it.

I’m thinking throw an attractor near that fuel truck, get up on high ground, and just wait till they all surround it and BOOM.

I made real good progress last night. Got Copeland and Tuckers trust level to 2. Bought a new pump shotty and some sort of cool looking auto rifle along with new wheels for the bike, new tires, a sack to hold extra ammo and the larger fuel tank (which does make a bit of a difference). Also found three more Nero research stations and got the shots. They were deep inside caves though which were tense as fuck to venture into. Somehow I was able to get in and get out of each of them while the freaker denizens were out and about.

Speaking of freakers, do hordes respawn their numbers if you de agro them? I was trying to kill a roaming horde and I would toss some pipe bombs and molotovs, then run away. But it didn't seem like I was thinning them out even though I was killing 20 of em each time I would do it.

TrainedRage

Banned
Has anyone else encountered this mission glitch...

On the bounty Hunter mission where you track the guy to the old mill. With that huge horde. Well the bounty got killed by freaks and I had to run off due to the swarm. I go back and now the icon for getting the proof is way south on the map on a portion I can't get to...

Did I fuck up or will I be able to complete it later? I'm pretty far on now so I'm fine skipping it.

Although that was the one mission I was looking forward to due to it being a huge preview in Game informer and at old E3 events. Only glitch I have encountered.

Kagero

I have a couple pre-order codes for some DLC but it doesn't tell me what they are on the receipt. Anyone know what it unlocks? First one to respond gets a code.

Fake

I have a couple pre-order codes for some DLC but it doesn't tell me what they are on the receipt. Anyone know what it unlocks? First one to respond gets a code.
Different crossbow and some bike gears like 'nitro'. Not too much agressive, but make the game more easy to start especially 'nitro' because you start without that. About the DLC if I remember right the next DLC will come at june or july dunno, but will be free.
They have some differences about the 'digital deluxe' eddition mind you.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
This game is so fucking good. Goddamn.

Skills really mean something in this. It’s no wonder it takes so long to level up. It makes it worth it every time. Once you up your accuracy with guns and start pumping points into the Focus slo mo for example

This new shotty rules. Also stuck a big sawblade into my bat

scalman

"real" gameplay? How do you mean?
Mean from trailers i didnt liked game much. But then i spoiled myself first hr or so of game watched it how someone plays it and i knew thats what i want to play.
And now i like it a lot as i liked Horizon and maybe even more then rdr2 as i remember. Iys just good feeling to ride that bike explore world without much wories of those freeks as trailers showed before game came out. And some emotional story and side missions just adds more to the game , not all will like it or cate for it but thats best thing that i found in single player games still.

Last edited:

demigod

Mean from trailers i didnt liked game much. But then i spoiled myself first hr or so of game watched it how someone plays it and i knew thats what i want to play.
And now i like it a lot as i liked Horizon and maybe even more then rdr2 as i remember. Iys just good feeling to ride that bike explore world without much wories of those freeks as trailers showed before game came out. And some emotional story and side missions just adds more to the game , not all will like it or cate for it but thats best thing that i found in single player games still.

Its good, until you get sniped!

Just raided a drifter camp, guy tried to throw a molotov at me and i shot it and it burned his ass.

Top Bottom