• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Patch 1.40 adds Motion Sensor Aiming

onQ123

DAYS GONE ACCESSIBILITY OPTIONS
Motion Sensor Function Aiming

This feature allows the player to make fine adjustments to aiming by rotating the PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4 controller. It is set to ‘0’ by default (off), but when set to values from ‘1’ to ‘10’, the sensitivity of the Motion Sensor Function Aiming can be adjusted.

Auto-complete QTE (Easy Mode Only)

Turning this feature on inside the Accessibility Options Menu will now automatically complete all the in-game Grapple Button events without the need to press any buttons. Note this feature is accessible in Easy Mode Only.

Controller Dead Zone

Located in the Gameplay Options Menu, we have added the ability to adjust the Dead Zone for your controller. There are 4 adjustments (small, medium, default and large) that allow players to fine tune the stick movement to their liking, even fixing some extreme issues caused by some seasoned controllers.

CJY

Banned
Why the hell are these called "accessibility functions"?? Bloody hell. This should be a standard feature of every first-party game that involves shooting. The fact they are relegated to being "accessibility functions" (As important as they are) is just really bizarre.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Killer, I can't stand aiming with analog sticks, love when there's a motion alternative in console shooters.

what about that story DLC did i missed it or its not yet out ?
I think the game became a big enough hit that any planned story DLC has now been moved into sequel content.

More importantly new game plus when? What's the point of all the cool new weapons you unlock when there's nothing to use them for anymore? I want to taser that very first story Breaker that gave me such a hard time during my first run.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why the hell are these called "accessibility functions"?? Bloody hell. This should be a standard feature of every first-party game that involves shooting. The fact they are relegated to being "accessibility functions" (As important as they are) is just really bizarre.
If you use gyro controls you obviously are in need for some help.

So def the right name for it 🤣

joe_zazen

Agree totally. I suspect it came down to sony’s cheapness and the fact that bend had so few employees. But better late than never.

Banned
so maybe I can finally aim in this game, because the analog aiming is beyond dogshit in this game, which is why I stopped playing

even with the soft lock-on it felt like absolute garbage

Last edited:
I think Horizon still does not have gyro aiming. I remember feeling so disjointed trying to play Horizon right after play BOTW with gyro aiming.

Fake

the fact that gyro aiming isn't an option in most PS4 games is ridiculous...
in Fortnite for example, on Switch it has gyro aim, on PS4 it doesn't... like why?
Because they never need? Until Nintendo introduce this feature and people like 'OMG every game company need this for life'.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Because they never need? Until Nintendo introduce this feature and people like 'OMG every game company need this for life'.

We never needed analog sticks until they were introduced, as well. Shoulder buttons too. Dual sticks. D-pad. Nobody needs something, until it actually becomes reality, and shows that the old ways no longer suffice.

I don’t care who introduced it. Didn’t Sony do it first, in this analog sticks + motion way? I remember people being very impressed with Vita Uncharted for that.

Fact of the matter is, right analog for quick, fast movement, and motion for fine-tuning is a genuine step up from dual analog alone. Nintendo fans will tell you this. Vita fans will tell you this. Steam Controller fans, both of them, will tell you this.

How could it not be? You get the best of both worlds. The comfortable, traditional two-stick setup, and via gyro, a huge field of motion to land the perfect shots.

Last edited:
Because aiming with analog sticks is less precise than gyro aiming. When aiming with analog sticks, you have to take into account (1) the direction in which you tilt each stick, (2) how far you tilt each stick, and (3) how long do you hold each stick. Gyro aiming works more similarly as a mouse as all you need to worry about is the degree of displacement.

Fake

Because aiming with analog sticks is less precise than gyro aiming. When aiming with analog sticks, you have to take into account (1) the direction in which you tilt each stick, (2) how far you tilt each stick, and (3) how long do you hold each stick. Gyro aiming works more similarly as a mouse as all you need to worry about is the degree of displacement.
Thats not true. Vary from people to people.
Played Horizon Zero Dawn just damn fine without.

Thats not true. Vary from people to people.
Played Horizon Zero Dawn just damn fine without.
And yet, it's proven that KB&M is better than controller in shooters. Gyro aiming runs on the same philosophy as using a mouse as you don't need to worry about duration of input. You just need to worry about the displacement.

Basically, less variables = greater accuracy and precision.

Does Horizon Zero Dawn allow for gyro aiming for you to actually test analog aiming vs gyro aiming? Citing a game to prove your point if it does not even allow for gyro aiming to begin with is bad evidence.

Last edited:

Fake

And yet, it's proven that KB&M is better than controller in shooters. Gyro aiming runs on the same philosophy as using a mouse as you don't need to worry about duration of input. You just need to worry about the displacement.

Basically, less variables = greater accuracy and precision.

Does Horizon Zero Dawn allow for gyro aiming for you to actually test analog aiming vs gyro aiming? Citing a game to prove your point if it does not even allow for gyro aiming to begin with is bad evidence.
Still no I afraid. Dunno if this really match the mouse precision, but you maybe right. I remember people asking that so much after HZD release close to the BOTW.

Still no I afraid. Dunno if this really match the mouse precision, but you maybe right. I remember people asking that so much after HZD release close to the BOTW.
Imo, gyro aiming won't match mouse precision, but with my experience in BOTW, it particularly helps when you're aiming on the move, e.g. shooting an arrow while on a horse.

Having the option to tweak gyro aiming such as sensitivity (common) and deadzone (have not seen an example of this yet) will also lead to a better experience.

Tygeezy

Imo, gyro aiming won't match mouse precision, but with my experience in BOTW, it particularly helps when you're aiming on the move, e.g. shooting an arrow while on a horse.

Having the option to tweak gyro aiming such as sensitivity (common) and deadzone (have not seen an example of this yet) will also lead to a better experience.
I think it's good enough to where it isn't so superior that they must segregate players due to inferior input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom