• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone (Sony Bend, UE4) - E3 2016 Gameplay Walkthrough

I was expecting Joel and Ellie to jump out of nowhere and then the entire audience would GO WTF WOOOOAH

Cut to black

LAST OF US 2 : DAYS GONE

I don't know why so much hate. Game looked amazing and its not like its releasing this year. They can still improve a lot of things.

The non damaging zombies and unlimited amo are most likely for demo purposes.
Looks so much better than 95% of zombie games out there.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Was so hyped for Sony bends big turn... and I'm very let down. God that looked dull. The zombies just fell so easily. He ran through the pile unscathed. This has been in development for so long and yet the visuals are meg and the animations were a mess.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well damn I'm tired of zombies in most games fuck if this game didn't handle zombies as a horde better than most anything I can think of after Left 4 Dead 2. I guess its just me but that was god damned impressive on both a gameplay and graphics perspective. The amounts of zombies, the way to slow them down and the different routes to take. I mean it could be stupid highly scripted but color me impressed even if the setting looks very Last of Us.

Zukkoyaki

I liked how the zombies actually seemed dangerous rather than just fodder in this game like Dead Rising. But, it still didn't blow me away... Will wait to see more.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
THE HORDE looked genuinely good, even if probably semi-scripted.
Crowd moving like that is a pretty impressive technical feat.

Kaversmed

I really really hope that it will not play anything like TLoU. TLoU's gameplay was the worst part of the game. Hoping for a great story and something else to do beyond avoiding zombies.

What!?

Ok, time for bed for me. I can't take it anymore xD

ViciousDS

Banned
This looked blanc IMO. It will get a pass because it's a Sony studio tho.

Um....no

It will pass because it's a fucking biker, in a post apocalypse era with an insane amount of zombies. Like DayZ style fucking zombies. Of course the massive amounts of shooting aren't happening in the final game. He obviously had infinite ammo and was making a point that you are not shooting your way out of most of the situations.

But go on.......because everything Sony immediately gets a pass. That's why knack was loved by everyone, the order 1886 was loved by everyone, beyond: two souls and many other sub par games all got passes......because......Sony

My entire crew had jaws dropped and wanting more.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Pretty bland looking, but a bad demo. Took place in day light, with the weapons systems and the zombies both looking very unimpressive. If the motorcycle is a key gameplay feature, they probably should have showcased that, because this looked like a 2nd rate TLoU.

CCIE

Banned
Reminded me of a true zombie game. It just doesn't let up, and there are SO many enemies that it's completely daunting.

dralla

This was the one big bummer of the conference. Everything about it looks so boring. A white dude with brown hair in a post apocalyptic world with pseudo-zombies, and a dead wife to give the protag some sort of backstory. We didn't see a single original idea

Lime

I like this post!

- Artist at Bend

Definitely, the most stand-out thing were the zombie masses.

But the narrative of yet another Midwestern zombie game set in the US with white dude who lost his wife is just something that's hard to take seriously.

The whole concept is staggeringly cliché and could have been improved a million times more if it was set somewhere else in the world, even if it was yet another zombie game.

The game looks like it has potential, but I was not a fan of the demo. Just running and turning back to shoot every 30 seconds. Didn't really grab me. I think the Giant Bomb guys said it best that the game didn't really have a hook, other than a shit ton of "zombies".

He wasn't just running. He was leading them through choke points, environmental hazards, over weakened structures, setting them on fire, etc. These zombies don't stand around and wait for you to beat them with a dildo. It's the first time zombies have actually seemed next gen.

The game is still in development. We saw horizon last year and some people were like, "no, it looks meh". Now the very same people who saw horizon today are like DAMN.

This is Neogaf, is truly a tagline that describes it

As someone who thought Horizons looked awesome on reveal, I think this looks "Ok". The WWZ level of zombies is impressive, but it overall looks a little too much like TLoU in the downtime and the gameplay consisted of almost nothing but running and shooting (sometimes pointlessly) in to the zombie wave. I want to see more gameplay so I can get a better grasp on what the actual game is going to be (this is probably just a set piece), but as is? Just "Ok" once you get past the impressiveness of "Damn that's a lot of zombies!".

Ricky_R

Had a couple of nitpicks with this game. It felt janky, the VA was hit and miss, the motorcycle physics didn't seem right... Bike looked like it was gliding. Zombies upclose to the character didn't seem to attack.

Liked the settings and all, bit it didn't leave a big impression on me tbh.

Vidpixel

Game definitely has the potential to be interesting, but nothing really stood out to me from the demo they showed. From this brief presentation, it's difficult to discern what the main draw of this game will be or what separates it from the countless other post-apocalyptic zombie games out there. Still cautiously optimistic, though.

The game is clearly in the rough. Had they resolve the Zombie hit detection issues as well as the refining the gun feedback, it would've been a more intense showcase. Hope those chase scenes aren't fully scripted because that would get very old soon.

Elios83

Looks a mix between TLOU and Dead Rising.
I hope that gameplay has more variety compared to the demo.
But I'm not a fan of Dead Rising either.
These ''zombie'' games have their following though.

I hope this isnt another Ready at Dawn / The Order 1886 situation.

A talented PSP studio wants to make the jump to the big console so they spend years pitching ideas over and over and failing

Eventually they get something greenlit but its so boring and safe no one gives a shit.

Maybe its a failing at Sony that this is the stuff they are green lighting.

And why Sony needs this and TLOU I do not know. I guess TLOU 2 is a few years out but still....

Game of the show for me. I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic games and this seems like TLOU/Dead Rising/Resident Evil mix. Another way to say it is, this looks like a Walking Dead game done right. Very interested.

Can't say I liked what I saw. The demo they choosed certainly didn't help, it didn't make any sense that the dude was always stopping to shoot some more "zombies" instead of taking advantage of the lead he had and just running the fuck out of there shooting some zombies on the way until he reached is bike. That would make sense, instead he just climbed until he got himself cornered... so dumb.

Some other things bugged me, like the running animation (too slow, lacks something) and the fact that he got way too close to the zombies in the last part without them doing absolutely nothing. Game is probably in an early state, but I hope the next showing is way better.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
The shooting looked really shitty
Yeah the zumbies seemed to die with one shot. Maybe it was just for the demo, in easy difficulty or something, but still...felt weird.

Disgraced

This was the one big bummer of the conference. Everything about it looks so boring. A white dude with brown hair in a post apocalyptic world with pseudo-zombies, and a dead wife to give the protag some sort of backstory. We didn't see a single original idea
Originality is overrated and unnecessary. Nothing wrong with a well executed variant of an old faithful. If the game turns out like shit, then fuck it, I guess. Into the void with the others, where it would ultimately end up if it were "original" anyway, except on a higher spot in the trash heap of time.

Besides, cliches can be a useful base for writing fine and original stories.

Bebpo

Banned
Uh, so was this like a TLoU spinoff for Vita like Uncharted Vita and then at some point it became it's own thing? Just seems way way too similar to be coincidence.

Aside from the running horde, this might be the first game to make me go say "I'm tired of zombie games". Why did Sony greenlight another zombie franchise? And a more typical one at that? Hope the story and motorcycle mechanics give it more of an identity

I think the whole "Bounty hunter" part was under used.
Curious to see if this is a major part of the game.
1: Going after bounties
2: Zombies being something extra and not the core focus.

Would make it stand out more then your average zombie game

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd like to know what game seems to represent a horde of zombies as well as this game seams to. If one complaint I have about zombie games is that many of them don't really to seem to emphasize the threat that the zombies as a horde really are. Just shooting into the masses blindly doesn't do much of anything. I liked that he was basically forced to lead the horde through all manner of check points. For a demo I think its got a shit ton of potential if they can keep building the gameplay around things like filtering the horde where you need.

I liked how the zombies actually seemed dangerous rather than just fodder in this game like Dead Rising. But, it still didn't blow me away... Will wait to see more.

It's funny because I felt the exact opposite: the horde seemed clearly intended to give you the sensation of imminent doom but always giving you just enough breathing room to get out. It seemed especially obvious when the player ran up that last set of stairs with zombies right behind them, then shot that one zombie coming in through the window, then turned around and had to wait for the horde to catch up. Also pretty convenient how the horde magically runs out of zombies just as you reached the end of that catwalk.

I mean, I get it, as gameplay goes you can't actually have a unstoppable horde of zombies because you would die and there'd be no game. But it's the sort of sequence that constantly makes me think, "if this was actually happening no way would I still be alive." It feels artificial.

jmood88

This was up there with the Xbox Final Fantasy and Scalebound demos for worst of all the conferences. God, what a dumb-looking game. Bend continues to just look like K-Mart brand Naughty Dog.

Hmm... I was not impressed by that all. Maybe because certain zombie style games are still fresh in my mind. That didn't capture my attention since everything look too damn predictable and uninspired.

Top Bottom