• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone (Sony Bend, UE4) - E3 2016 Gameplay Walkthrough

He wasn't just running. He was leading them through choke points, environmental hazards, over weakened structures, setting them on fire, etc. These zombies don't stand around and wait for you to beat them with a dildo. It's the first time zombies have actually seemed next gen.

I suppose you're right, but I don't know. Still didn't really wow me, other than the amount of zombies. Dead Rising 4 certainly didn't wow me either as I have never liked those games. State of Decay 2 is my jam though.

jmood88

I liked how the zombies actually seemed dangerous rather than just fodder in this game like Dead Rising. But, it still didn't blow me away... Will wait to see more.
When did they seem dangerous? The guy kept stopping for no reason and never got hurt.

Foxxsoxx

Beef up the shooting mechanics to be more like Uncharted 4 and you'll have a contender there Bend. The game is on my radar, don't muck it up :)

Dennis

Banned
skrmbillede2016-06-13u0jho.png

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
When did they seem dangerous? The guy kept stopping for no reason and never got hurt.

I know as much as you but often times he only stopped for a moment and usually to enact some for of environmental hazard or blockage which all seemed short lived at best as the zombies seem like they can climb and surmount most obstacles in there way given enough time. The other times he stopped it was most likely to show off the horde and to unload a magazine or two into the oncoming zombies who seem to go down relatively easy.

Looks better than the trailer led me to believe, but it's just cribbing on Last of Us way too hard, and the biker gang aspect just makes it seem less likable. I could see there being some crazy sequences with the motorcycle and the absolutely insane amount of zombies.

The characters and dialogue didn't seem super inspired, and the setting is very reminiscent of TLOU, but the huge wave of zombies and their individual physics and the way that you have to use the environment to control/contain them seems VERY exciting.

I'm guessing for that gameplay demo they had damage turned low/off for demonstration purposes. It was so much fun to watch though. I actually yelled out SHOOT THE RED BARREL while I was watching it.

Kin5290

Well then, I'm not sure it's possible to have more cliched characterization than that. You're a drifter, you say? Ooh, so badass.

idwl

This game seems terrifying, I love zombie games but I have bad anxiety and just watching the gameplay demo had me freaked out at some points hahaha. Might just watch a just play of it as it looks great

Clearly, these demos tend to disable damage for the sake of pacing. Only ND are daring enough to have "death" scenes in gameplay walkthrough. Second, he was clearly leading the zombies into traps.

Zomba13

The game is still in development. We saw horizon last year and some people were like, "no, it looks meh". Now the very same people who saw horizon today are like DAMN.

This is Neogaf, is truly a tagline that describes it

But Horizon back then still had unique things going for it. The story/setting, the way you take down the unique enemies, the protagonist. This just looked like Left 4 Dead but alone in The Last of Us style post apocalypse except it's open world (allegedly) and you're a biker (which was already done in L4D). Yeah, there were probably more (or at least more polys) zombies in the horde than a L4D horde but same strategy (run through choke points and shoot).

It just seemed tired and done before. Like the one unique thing might be that it's less a survival thing, and more bounty hunting. Like he's not struggling to survive, not trying to get to some settlement but doing odd jobs and being a post apocalyptic witcher.

zsynqx

The swarming zombie aspect was very cool, but the rest wasn't really doing it for me. Comparisons can be made to TLOU, but only on a surface level. This feels like something very different.

Game is on my radar but I'm definitely not sold yet.

Vire

Why make a game so similar in tone, story and style to another game that is currently an exclusive on the same platform.

Wet fart on ending the conference with this game.

Calm Mind

He wasn't just running. He was leading them through choke points, environmental hazards, over weakened structures, setting them on fire, etc. These zombies don't stand around and wait for you to beat them with a dildo. It's the first time zombies have actually seemed next gen.

This is the one game that actually drove home the point of next-gen to me. It felt so refreshing.

I don’t get why this is greenlit if TLOU2 exist. So interested in seeing what’s the main mechanic in the game, seems generic right now.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Some of the posters in this topic are delusional. The game looked great aesthetically speaking; it's densely populated with hordes of undead, sprawling environments, buildings with functional interiors, verticality and foliage. I can honestly think of maybe 2 open world games that look better- The Witcher 3 and Horizon; Zero Dawn. One of those titles is still in development while the other can be contested. Some have made the claim that this title is unoriginal and bland, I suppose in the face of TLOU, SOD2 and DR4 those comparisons would readily come to mind but that's entirely unfair and doing a disservice to this game.

Randomizer

Kind of feels like a pointless game. I mean it looks good and the gameplay looks fine but I'm not seeing anything new or original.

Ok. Geoff is now interviewing the devs and it is confirmed to be SANDBOX AND OPEN WORLD!! So the entire sequence is NOT scripted (maybe except for that other human)

Oh and there releasing another "longer" demo later!

The story and setting are just way too similar to The Last of Us. The gameplay is a slightly different beast, but that aspect isn't exactly fresh. I did like the music.

The game could still be good, despite my nitpicks.

jrDev

Some of the posters in this topic are delusional. The game looked great aesthetically speaking; it's densely populated with hordes of undead, sprawling environments, buildings with functional interiors, verticality and foliage. I can honestly think of maybe 2 open world games that look better- The Witcher 3 and Horizon; Zero Dawn. One of those titles is still in development while the other can be contested. Some have made the claim that this title is unoriginal and bland, I suppose in the face of TLOU, SOD2 and DR4 those comparisons would readily come to mind but that's entirely unfair and doing a disservice to this game.
Nope, it is not especially when TLOU fills that space and has a sequel in the works. It makes no sense.
They just said they've been working on it for 3 and a half years. Sooo...
Doesn't matter. When did TLOU come out?

That looked fun as hell. A slight bit toonified, almost in an Insomniac way compared to something like Last of Us but I like that for something with less drama. I need that huge zombie horde x Joel x Resident Evil 4 village recipe.

bryanee

I think it looks fantastic. One of my games of the show so far. Intense shit watching all those World War Z zombies piling through everything. Day one baby.

Allonym

Kind of feels like a pointless game. I mean it looks good and the gameplay looks fine but I'm not seeing anything new or original.

How many games would exist if they were all full of new and original ideas? Not many I suppose, but that doesn't stop derivative games from being amazing. It's a silly argument you're making and I bet some of your favorite games aren't as fresh as you think/wish them to be.

The tech in this game is very impressive. But that won't help it being the most generic video in quite some time

Audette

I was not impressed initially but by the end of the conference I think they convinced me to buy the game.

The YouTube E3 stream just said they have a longer demo that has 5 minutes more footage showing a lot more of the variable options the player has. Also confirmed open world gameplay. I'm stoked.

Allonym

The tech in this game is very impressive. But that won't help it being the most generic video in quite some time

Couldn't you apply that line of thinking to Uncharted or nearly any first person shooter? Who judges a game by what it does differently as opposed to how fun it is to play/your enjoyment?

Shang

I like that this game seems to be going for a different approach than The Last of Us, even though the settings are undeniably similar. The Last of Us prioritized slow, quiet moments to build relationships between the main characters, while Days Gone seems to be attempting to instill a feeling of helplessness in the player. From the sheer volume of zombies to being mostly alone in a big world, this game could easily set itself apart for those who give it the shot.

The feedback on that shooting, however, seemed weak, though I'm assuming Bend has plenty of time to fine tune that. For now, I'm definitely paying attention.

jmood88

Clearly, these demos tend to disable damage for the sake of pacing. Only ND are daring enough to have "death" scenes in gameplay walkthrough. Second, he was clearly leading the zombies into traps.

It's a stage demo, its rigged in favor of the players always. They can't have their epic show case ruined by having the player die in the middle of presentation .
That doesn't answer my question. He said that they looked dangerous when nothing in the demo suggested that they were.

Pooya

Sony already had the best zombie game in the industry, I'm not sure why they felt they needed another zombie game. It's a different kind of game but it appeals to same audience in the end.

oh and that old title is so awful alright.

Audette

That doesn't answer my question. He said that they looked dangerous when nothing in the demo suggested that they were.

In the YouTube e3 stream they just said the game is a sand box and they want the horde to be a danger so you really have to learn to deal with it appropriately. So they at least are stating it was dangerous, and that if you don't deal with it well it will destroy your character.

Top Bottom