• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ creator: Sony interested in PS4 DayZ port

Jhriad

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Can anyone tell me if the full game will be more fleshed out? Haven't been following the development. I played the mod a long while back and thought it was great but once you've geared up there's really not a lot to do. Day Z with more to do in the world (being able to set up real encampments and that sort of thing) with an even larger map would be great.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This could be really cool, honestly all they need to do is add a command wheel to the PS4 version which could easily be done with the touch pad.

And stream line inventory management if that is even possible and the game should work flawlessly on consoles.

I really hope this happens it would be super awesome.

Ponti

Trying to play ArmA on a controller would give me nightmares. Plus the engine would have to go through quite a bit of a redesign for consoles, though I don't really know just how much they've altered it for the standalone.

One of the few games that I think "streamlining", "consolization" and other buzzwords would actually do it a lot of good. DayZ without jank would be one of the best experiences in gaming. Throw in some more survival and RPG-lite elements like a hunger/thirst system and you have a stew going.

eot

Banned
Blame me, but I never saw or played DayZ. So now I watched 30 mins gameplay and I can't understand how this game can be called "good".
The idea is fantastic, but there're bugs everywhere. Not even the animations are correct, which destroys the game completely for me...

Will the "real" game be any better than the mod or is it the same only on a disc?
If the game itself wouldn't be such a mess (broken animations, endless spawn in the same area (?), etc) I would probably love it...

And since I watched a gameplay-video from 3 weeks ago, I think it wasn't an old version.

I'd tell you to watch this video (series) as it does a good job showing what's special about the game. Or go into the DayZ thread and read some of the stories people have posted, because this game is great at generating stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

Honestly though you kind of have to play it for yourself to get a real sense of what it is. The combination of a huge world, survival elements and the presence of other players comes together to form something much greater than the sum of its parts. Things that are trivial in other games carry a huge significance in DayZ. Even just hearing a single gun shot can be a big deal. How far away was it? Which type of gun? Is that player aware of you? Was he firing at you, at zombies or at another player? It really makes the mundane interesting. Getting a map is a big deal because you're in a 225km^2 area and you will get lost.

Same thing with a compass. Not only is it useful for navigating, but it's extremely useful in a firefight. You're not fighting in a deathmatch level where you have names for every single building, you could be fighting in a forest and coordinating with your mates is hugely important. In a forest you can't just say "he's beind the tree", but using cardinal directions or magnetic heading to call positions is really useful. It might sound like a boring hardcore sim, but it doesn't feel that way because the game doesn't tell you to do this or that. Instead you just start doing things out of necessity, like never walking along ridges because it creates a strong silhouette.

Here's a video of an ambush:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYQximrgr0I

How many games can you actually do an ambush in?

You also get moments like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sgEL9Y6InQ

Unless Sony or BI provide more help to Rocket's team, I don't see a PS4 version coming until next year, at the earliest.

I don't even think we're getting the Alpha on PC anytime soon--Beta by the end of the year?

Trying to play ArmA on a controller would give me nightmares. Plus the engine would have to go through quite a bit of a redesign for consoles, though I don't really know just how much they've altered it for the standalone.

Arma 2 (and 3) already have native controller support. It's not that much of a stretch--the problem is the horrible mouse acceleration in Arma 2 (it's gone in 3!).

I'd tell you to watch this video (series) as it does a good job showing what's special about the game. Or go into the DayZ thread and read some of the stories people have posted, because this game is great at generating stories.

Yeah, you have to watch some of the better vids to get an idea of the game. I had a hardcore console gamer buy a PC just to play DayZ because he was so into it.

Ponti

Arma 2 (and 3) already have native controller support. It's not that much of a stretch--the problem is the horrible mouse acceleration in Arma 2 (it's gone in 3!).

I know it's already possible to use a controller I'm just thinking more about how it will actually play. Since in most console FPS's your fighting in fairly close quarters, in ArmA ( and in effect DayZ) you're usually fighting at ranges of about 100-200 metres plus in the open. Trying to get accurate shots at that distance with a controller... I dunno :/ Makes me wonder if an aim assist would work at those ranges too. Then again I've never played ArmA2/3 with a controller before.

KaiserBecks

So Sony talked with Bohemia and Rocket... and the guy says the port is "almost certain"... and you think people is a bit ahead of themselves?

By the way, a launch window? Certainly not. An E3 announcement? Well... I could bet for it.

Yes, people are a bit ahead of themselves. The alpha version of the stand alone hasn't been released, the full version is likely to be at least a year away.
It's an ambitious, community-driven project that still needs a lot of time. And that's not even considering the difficulties a port will bring.

Of course it has bugs everywhere... it's a mod.

And this is a standalone game, so they're developing it. In fact, it was dated for last spring (fall in USA) but it was delayed for some reason...

What are you talking about?

zainetor

Banned
I know it's already possible to use a controller I'm just thinking more about how it will actually play. Since in most console FPS's your fighting in fairly close quarters, in ArmA ( and in effect DayZ) you're usually fighting at ranges of about 100-200 metres plus in the open. Trying to get accurate shots at that distance with a controller... I dunno :/ Makes me wonder if an aim assist would work at those ranges too. Then again I've never played ArmA2/3 with a controller before.

you can only play with keyboard + pad, there arent enough buttons on pad.
balistics will definitely wont work. I mean try sniping a dude with pad accuracy, when you need 100% accuracy.

Jackl

Depends how good the new standalone version is.

The current Mod version was so shabby and hard to get into they have a lot of work smoothing out the various problems.

My friend was a good example:
"Can't get to install, this game is dumb"
"Ok installed, why are the controls so retarded?"
"This game is so hard and dumb. Stupid zombie's and fucking thirst"
"Wait, did my pistol just disappear?"
"Damn it I died again, I swear I'm about to logoff."
**Hears shots in the distance**
**Creeps up on a hunting party, axes one in the dark**
**Frantically runs through town to lose the others**
"THIS GAME IS AMAZING"

Blame me, but I never saw or played DayZ. So now I watched 30 mins gameplay and I can't understand how this game can be called "good".
The idea is fantastic, but there're bugs everywhere. Not even the animations are correct, which destroys the game completely for me...

Will the "real" game be any better than the mod or is it the same only on a disc?
If the game itself wouldn't be such a mess (broken animations, endless spawn in the same area (?), etc) I would probably love it...

And since I watched a gameplay-video from 3 weeks ago, I think it wasn't an old version.

For some reason your post really irritates me.

Depends how good the new standalone version is.

The current Mod version was so shabby and hard to get into they have a lot of work smoothing out the various problems.

My friend was a good example:
"Can't get to install, this game is dumb"
"Ok installed, why are the controls so retarded?"
"This game is so hard and dumb. Stupid zombie's and fucking thirst"
"Wait, did my pistol just disappear?"
"Damn it I died again, I swear I'm about to logoff."
**Hears shots in the distance**
**Creeps up on a hunting party, axes one in the dark**
**Frantically runs through town to lose the others**
"THIS GAME IS AMAZING"

Yup. Game insta-redeems itself the moment you see another survivor and freak out.

This, but I would certainly welcome them to try. This could be really awesome.

JJD

Goddamn Sony with all this great announcements lately...

I think this time I'll actually need a second job!

Boss Man

Do it! Please do it!

EDIT:
If it were to make the jump to the PS4, do you guys think Sony would allow mods and KB&M support like UT3?
That's a good question.

Wasn't this talked about with UT, but then it didn't happen? I might be remembering it wrong.

Toxa

Sony is acting like they were newcomer in videogame market trying to get massive support everywhere

If this happens, Sony are completely on the ball and have confirmed that they know exactly what I want as a gamer.

The importance of this cannot be understated for me, they better make a DayZ port happen. I'll buy it at whatever price they're looking to sell.

As a student that lacks the funds to buy a PC I truly want, if the PS4 serves as a medium to high end alternative with the same games, Sony have basically won the generation in terms of my exact needs.

So how many players in a single match ? 64?

Every world is persistent--matches never "end" unless the server has to restart for some reason (usually for stability, at least right now).

Player count is largely dependent on the server, too, I think? Is there a hard limit set for DayZ? I think you can have 100+ players in a server in regular Arma 2.

sunnz

Every world is persistent--matches never "end" unless the server has to restart for some reason (usually for stability, at least right now).

Player count is largely dependent on the server, too, I think? Is there a hard limit set for DayZ? I think you can have 100+ players in a server in regular Arma 2.

Well Arma 2 is a hit/miss for how smooth the online can be.

BUT for DAYZ the average max players per servers is around 50 AND even then you can get massive lag, desync, delay in picking items etc because the dayz mod isn't well made in that sense.

Also FPS takes a hit on like 90% of servers as it's not well optimised.

For the size of the map ( chernarus) and the hot zones, 50 is fine per server.

A few servers do have like 80 players and are capable of running well but still have the occasional desync/ restart.

I would love it if this comes to be, could be a big hit on the console as it really is one of those unique games that you have to experience to understand.

Hopefully its well optimised on the console too.

Well Arma 2 is a hit/miss for how smooth the online can be.

BUT for DAYZ the average max players per servers is around 50 AND even then you can get massive lag, desync, delay in picking items etc because the dayz mod isn't well made in that sense.

Also FPS takes a hit on like 90% of servers as it's not well optimised.

For the size of the map ( chernarus) and the hot zones, 50 is fine per server.

A few servers do have like 80 players and are capable of running well but still have the occasional desync/ restart.

I would love it if this comes to be, could be a big hit on the console as it really is one of those unique games that you have to experience to understand.

Hopefully its well optimised on the console too.

Agreed. I've never played in a server over 35 players--I had plenty of encounters with 20-35 players on a map.

Derrick01

Banned
One of the few games that I think "streamlining", "consolization" and other buzzwords would actually do it a lot of good. DayZ without jank would be one of the best experiences in gaming. Throw in some more survival and RPG-lite elements like a hunger/thirst system and you have a stew going.

That's not how consolization works though. You'll get a game that has most of its uniqueness stripped away for the sake of a better playing game, or an easier playing game because like everyone else in the industry they view console players as borderline retards. You're certainly not going to get even more fleshed out features.

This could be some Minecraft-on-360 type shit if they do this correctly. God damn.

PC players are generally more forgiving than console players. It takes a lot to tolerate a janky mod on top of an already janky game.

HOWEVER, if they can get the game to a quality state, yes, this would be absolutely huge on consoles, IMO.

Thorgal

Absolutely. SONY had so much success with the PS1 in part due to all the developer support they gave. They knew they had to earn the developers, so did everything in their power to get them on board. The end result was one of the best consoles in terms of library, "of the time" graphics, and lifestyle image ever.

With the PS2 they didn't need to, so they made a fucking complicated pig of a machine that took developers hours to figure out how to draw a single 2D shape. Yet it still became the most successful console of its time.

So with the PS3 they continued their weird architecture/little support approach. Success breeds arrogance.

Hungry SONY is best SONY.

SONY are hungry again. Developers and gamers alike win.

Hopefully PS4 lets them get back on top, and hopefully they learn from past mistakes.
it will be interesting to see if the strategy would work today as it did back then.

The_Monk

I would love this to happen. Not sure how it is DayZ now but I remember watching some gameplay and it was really intense back in the day.

Gathering supplies, hiding from enemies, players that could be friend or foe, snipping from a building. The idea seems interesting.

Raoh

Will the PS4 push for MOD support? I always felt Sony should have pushed for this with the ps3 more. I really enjoyed getting pc mods on my ps3 for unreal tournament 3.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Would jump on the PS4 for this. Already played DayZ on PC, but my PC is pretty shit right now.

Makes me wonder how much the console community of DayZ would differ from the PC community. Do you guys think people would people be quicker to treat it like FFA deathmatch?

Stopped playing because of bone breaking and needing morphine. It's utterly ridiculous. Jump off a ladder? bone break, restart. Glitched? bone break, restart. And searching for morphine might as well be searching for the ark of the covenant. You will NEVER find it. Played for a month and stopped because of this.

Otherwise, yeah the survival elements and treating everyone as unknowns is pretty cool. But I won't come back to it unless they remove the stupid bone fractures.

That's not how consolization works though. You'll get a game that has most of its uniqueness stripped away for the sake of a better playing game, or an easier playing game because like everyone else in the industry they view console players as borderline retards. You're certainly not going to get even more fleshed out features.

while I'm not agreeing with your first point, because this must not be the case, I certainly see your worry about your second.

Dayz for next gen consoles could potentially be a very near to the original, version of the PC game.
I have my doubts when it comes to thinks like patches, evolving the game or adding content, slowly over time. with the exeption of Minecraft on the 360, I havent seen a dev changing a game up, from its initial release to a other experience/ later version very much. PC games(certainly not all, but more than on the console side) on the other hand doing this for years now, for example tf2, lol, dota, sc2, diablo, arma2, don't starve, wow or even things like they did in portal 1 with the radios. you would never see such things on a console, at least not in the current generation of consoles.

Truant

The only thing is the aiming. You can get into some extremely long range firefights in DayZ where you need to be damn near pixel precise with your aiming.

I think the standalone is moving away from this. DayZ mod has evolved into ARMA2 with zombies, which ironically was kinda what it was technically in the beginning. Rocket seems to have no interest in this style of gaming (get a sniper rifle, kill new players from huge distances). I really hope they scale down the available guns in the standalone. A pistol should be feared in a game like this.

jerry113

Banned
Planetside 2, WarZ and Destiny are the type of mulitplayer experiences I am looking forward to next gen.

u0KJDIU.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
Stopped playing because of bone breaking and needing morphine. It's utterly ridiculous. Jump off a ladder? bone break, restart. Glitched? bone break, restart. And searching for morphine might as well be searching for the ark of the covenant. You will NEVER find it. Played for a month and stopped because of this.

Otherwise, yeah the survival elements and treating everyone as unknowns is pretty cool. But I won't come back to it unless they remove the stupid bone fractures.

Morphine is literally strewn around any hospital of field hospital. They are even marked on the map if you found one. Common sense.
You won't find fucking morphine laying around on the street in real life either, right?

Top Bottom