• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DBFZ producer declines to acknowledge Switch port demands, wants you to buy XV2

kaiyo

Exactly. Xenoverse 2 is like a 72 on metacritic. Its a average at best game that sold because its Dragon Ball. Most of us Switch owners that like Dragon Ball probably already own the game on our other consoles anyway.

Then most switch owners can buy DBFZ on the other consoles anyway?

J@hranimo

Banned
coping guideline for Switch ports:

- understand it's a new system.
- it didn't become a hit until recently
- with supply constraints the install base is relatively small
- most of these games began development years ago solely for ps4/xbone/pc

give it time folks

sirap

Is it confirmed that this game is coming out at full price without any DLC? Poor value if true, I already own the base game on PC and there's no way I'm rebuying the Switch version for $50.

Effect

What I find interesting and not at all surprising is the lack of care or concern about Xenoverse 2 on the Switch from Bandai Namco in the first place. There has been a serious lack of acknowledgement that a Switch version even exist unless a situation like this comes up. If you didn't know people were asking for DragonBall Fighters on the Switch and read some article about that game you wouldn't even know Xenoverse 2 was being released on the Switch. I wouldn't fault anyone for honestly forgetting it existed after they watched the Switch reveal event.

Even if Xenoverse 2 somehow did well for the install base, let's be honest if they're expecting it to do better then the other system versions they're stupid, Fighters still won't be under consideration for the Switch. She'll forget anything she ever said on the subject. That's the impression I'm getting at the moment.

gogogow

Think for a moment, GAF. The minute they announce FighterZ for the Switch, nobody's gonna bother with Xenoverse 2 on the Switch. If they wait until after Xenoverse 2 drops to announce a Switch port of FighterZ, that maximizes their potential profits.

No. If people are interested in a XV2 Switch port they will buy it regardless whether they announce DBFZ now or not. It would make no sense to skip it just because DBFZ is being announced. It plays and looks totally different. We are not talking about a XV2 sequel.

Wamb0wneD

Exactly. Xenoverse 2 is like a 72 on metacritic. Its a average at best game that sold because its Dragon Ball. Most of us Switch owners that like Dragon Ball probably already own the game on our other consoles anyway.

Yeah and when FighterZ comes out a year from now on Switch it will be the same. Except some people might feel inclined to double dip because it's an actual good game.

Gh3sTMr.gif

I was interested in XV2 anyway

Ah nice the spoiler gifs have arrived.

Mister Wolf

They might buy it on Switch if made available at the same release date or wait for it to release on Switch. For instance I will be buying the new Dragon Quest on my Switch over my PS4 no matter what. The portability trumps better visuals.

Wamb0wneD

Except there are people who won't get multiple online subscriptions. I'll never get PS+. I will however get whatever the Switch-online bollocks will be.
So no i can't.
Also being able to take this game with me is a huge plus since it's a game that shouldn't have huge visual downgrades on the Switch.

linkboy

Think for a moment, GAF. The minute they announce FighterZ for the Switch, nobody's gonna bother with Xenoverse 2 on the Switch. If they wait until after Xenoverse 2 drops to announce a Switch port of FighterZ, that maximizes their potential profits.

More then likely, this will happen,

Xenoverse 2 won't sell to the numbers they want, and instead of interpreting it as it's a late port of an average game, they'll just assume that DBZ games won't sell on the Switch and not port Fighter Z at all.

We've been seeing this situation play out on Nintendo systems since the Wii released.

Bowl0l

Don't fall for Namco's trap. Xenoverse 2 is not the same game as DBFZ.
Better to ignore an egoistic publisher that thinks a port of one game is a good way to gauge a market demand for the entire DB franchise.

Shauni

Is it confirmed that this game is coming out at full price without any DLC? Poor value if true, I already own the base game on PC and there's no way I'm rebuying the Switch version for $50.

Pretty sure it's been confirmed yeah.

Poor wording but they can't just throw XV2 under the bus. I'm sure FighterZ will have a Switch port announced long enough after XV2 is out that Bamco thinks it won't affect XV2's sales.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The more I read the OP, and the links therein, the more I see that they have not even implied that DBFZ is going to be determined by the sales of XV2.

If you're going to say I'm wrong, please point me to the quotes I'm missing.

Fuck you. I shouldn't have to buy a poor man's excuse for a DBZ fighting game just to get a real one.

Now it's poor mans DBZ after everyone was so happy when the port got announced.. you just can't throw xv2 under the bus fam. It's a never ending circle with Switch fans like I get it, it's hard constantly hoping for any 3rd party game to grace the console.. but you know how it goes with Nintendo 3rd party support.

LotusHD

Banned
Now it's poor mans DBZ after everyone was so happy when the port got announced.. you just can't throw xv2 under the bus fam. It's a never ending circle with Switch fans like I get it, it's hard constantly hoping for any 3rd party game to grace the console.. but you know how it goes with Nintendo 3rd party support.

Who is "everyone"? More 3rd party games is cool and all, but I mean, I wasn't particularly excited for it, especially after DBFZ was announced, as well as there being no DLC attached to this. There's more than enough reason for someone to be completely meh regarding this game, which ain't even that great to begin with

Who is "everyone"? More 3rd party games is cool and all, but I mean, I wasn't particularly excited for it, especially after DBFZ was announced, as well as there being no DLC attached to this. There's more than enough reason for someone to be completely meh regarding this game.

I could be wrong but whenever a 3rd party port gets announced the switch crowd is generally happy, but people have to understand announcing dbfz will kill the xv2 sales. Some might say " they can both exist and cater to different audiences" deep down its a bunch of bs.

bman94

I don't even have a Switch but Nintendo fans are burned with this shit constantly. And I purchased XV1 on Xbox One and it is easily rhe worst game I've purchased for the console. It's a horribly boring, grindy game with lack luster gameplay and a shit MMO overlay. It's one the most disappointing Dragon Ball Z games I ever played and to tell fans to buy a sequel of that shit to get a DBZ game fans have been waiting and asking for years? My attitude would have been the exact samd if Namco said a year ago that Xenoverse 2 would determine if DBZ fighters would exist on Xbox One and PS4.

That is the reality Nintendo fans live in. Buy old port/spinoff or no new games for you.

The list of third party self sabotage is endless. I won't bother.

That's why everybody should buy original stuff like Mario Rabbids and Octopath.

Reward effort.

Effect

That is the reality Nintendo fans live in. Buy old port/spinoff or no new games for you.

The list of third party self sabotage is endless. I won't bother.

That's why everybody should buy original stuff like Mario Rabbids and Octopath.

Reward effort.

This. Always this. I've always been of the opinion reward effort. Not saying buy things you aren't interested in but if you are interested in two games, one has effort behind it and new and the other one is an older game or is some kind of test. Always go for the one that had effort behind it. Even if it is the smaller game of the two.

Don't ever buy a third party game in hopes of future support or to pass some stupid test when you aren't interested in it. Hell even if you are interested in it I'm against it if it looks like a shitty situation. The result is always negative. You will only ever get more older games or test...if you're lucky. The quickest way to kill my interest in a game is for a publisher or developer to say support is dependent on a older game, especially one that seems didn't sell well on other systems, and at a higher price. Fuck that!

There you go Switch fans

The producers asked for the fans to make noise and here's your choice. Buy XV2 and make that noise to prove that there's an audience for DBFZ

Seik

Banned
Of course they won't announce it right before XV2 comes out, the announcement alone would cannibalize many sales.

She doesn't really "decline" to acknowledge the demands, but she shifts the subject to the DBZ game that comes out in a few months, which is natural business wise. Surely they got the feedback, I'm overall positive about a port, unless XV2 bombs real hard.

Terrell

Fan demand includes Dragonball franchise interest on the console, I mean the very first time she answered this question she plugged XV2 interest in the answer, this is nothing surprising.

They want to see if there's a DB franchise fanbase on switch, on that point the actual gameplay style is irrelevant, as DBFZ want the market of both hardcore fighting games and DB franchise fans, the latter being gameplay genre agnostic.

Dragon Ball is one of the biggest anime franchises in Japan. PERIOD. Any platform in the world has buyers with interest in the franchise, since it's a franchise with an extensive reach that is also platform agnostic and exists across multiple demographics.

On top of that, most of the DBFZ fan campaigns were not started by a Nintendo fan site, they were started by and promoted by the platform-agnostic DBZ manga/anime fan community.

I think that's well understood. But to not even acknowledge the fan response to a request that SHE HERSELF MADE to consumers? You can do that without announcing a Switch port. That is the most concerning issue at hand here, because by not acknowledging it while telling people to go get Xenoverse 2 makes it look like her original request has been disregarded and no longer matters.

Well, most importantly, they want people to buy the game that's about to come out..

Then maybe don't ask people to show their interest in a port that you don't intend to even consider until that game is released? Doesn't seem that difficult to me. Also...

They are doing a terrible job doing that.

Yah, for everyone saying that they want you to buy Xenoverse 2, they're doing a piss-poor job promoting it.

The more I read the OP, and the links therein, the more I see that they have not even implied that DBFZ is going to be determined by the sales of XV2.

If you're going to say I'm wrong, please point me to the quotes I'm missing.

Well, she was specifically asked simply to respond to fans she elicited the response from (I can't stress this enough), not to confirm a Switch port was in progress. And in response to simply asking her to merely acknowledge that the high volume of fan demand exists, she responded saying "we're currently working on Xenoverse 2 for the Switch, so we want players to first go there".

What other interpretation do you have for "go there", exactly? To watch Let's Plays of it? To look at the box in the store without buying it? I'm open to other suggestions.

And really, saying "go play Xenoverse 2, then maybe I'll acknowledge the existence of the fan demand I requested".... there's no excuse for not even admitting they got a fan response, when they clearly did.

Well I haven't played XV or XV2 so if buying that when I have money for it leads to the superior DBZ game getting a port I'm on board.

There you go Switch fans

The producers asked for the fans to make noise and here's your choice. Buy XV2 and make that noise to prove that there's an audience for DBFZ
I believed this too at one time. I'm not buying a product I'm not interested in, in hopes that I'll get another. I'm a consumer. If Namco wants to earn my money, they'll need to give me what I want.

chrono01

Ugh, I hate these "demand" tests.

"Hey! Buy our previously-released game that is kind of like the one you really want, and we'll maybe kind of probably think about bringing the one you're actually interested in to your console!"

No thanks. I'll just grab it on the PS4.

Top Bottom