• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDOS attacks - targeting PSN, Spotify, Netflix, Comcast, etc

raindoc

Psn down in Netherlands.

Me and many work friends had BF1 evening planned :(

b0r402m.jpg

barit

Fuck them. I want my afternoon Spotifiy + Uncharted MP combo and nothing works. Booooo these loosers who doing this ;(

Nzyme32

This seems highly unlikely, considering the scale of the attack.

Are you forgetting the "scale" of the DDOS at Christmas, similarly by a small group laughing at the drama and continuing to do so once they claimed responsibility and gamers did what gamers do best and inflated the situation. Gamers are the easy target, especially when the dramatic aftermath is more amusing to them

crimilde

Banned
Amazon AWS also had some trouble, seems to be fine now:

[RESOLVED]On October 21, 2016 between 4:30 AM and 6:11 AM PDT, some AWS customers experienced errors establishing connectivity to a small number of AWS endpoints hosted in the Northern Virginia (“US-EAST-1”) Region. We observed similar impact between 9:26 AM and 9:46 AM PDT in the Ireland ("EU-WEST-1") Region.
These events were caused by errors resolving the DNS hostnames for some AWS endpoints. AWS uses multiple DNS service providers, including Amazon Route53 and third-party service providers. The root cause was an availability event that occurred with one of our third party DNS service providers. We have now applied mitigations to all regions that prevent impact from third party DNS availability events.

During these events, core AWS functionality and all security controls continued to operate normally. Customers that independently utilize the third party DNS service provider may continue experiencing errors resolving DNS names hosted with that provider.

These motherfuckers. Came home from taking a practice test for a job certification to try and play some FFXIV on my PS4 but woop, guess not (TX here).

cwistofu

There is a work around for this by changing your DNS but meh I'm lazy.
Yeah I was having trouble downloading my Trails of Cold Steel II dlc. went and changed my DNS to Google's, worked perfectly.

EDIT: I guess YMMV. It worked just for me downloading a few pieces of DLC. Dunno how far it'll get you trying to play online.

I can't even open xhamster and thats the Real drama T.T

Just please don't tell us about you moderate nuts...

ten bucks says this is Russia

The WHOLE country?

Yeah I was wondering why I couldn't log into SF5, reset my modem and everything.

Sadly, that's just SF5 working as intended. :/

Twitter is also down. Why go after twitter?

Well, at least the "hackers" did one good thing! lol

SarusGray

Yeah I was having trouble downloading my Trails of Cold Steel II dlc. went and changed my DNS to Google's, worked perfectly.

Quoting this person because this is a way to fix it! Thanks kind human being for explaining the process heheh. You can do this on the PS4 when setting up your connection I believe.

raindoc

Quoting this person because this is a way to fix it! Thanks kind human being for explaining the process heheh. You can do this on the PS4 when setting up your connection I believe.
I tried this earlier and lost my internet connection completely due to a DNS error

firelogic

That's not really a fix. I've always been on Google DNS and I can't access the PS webstore or Twitter.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm in NY state and I can get online on my PC just fine. I can also get into a MP game on Xbox one. On PS4 I get an error when I try to play BF1 or even just go to the store. I tried changing the DNS servers to the Google servers as suggested above, first in my PS4 network settings and then in my router config, which didn't help. If I go to my PS4 test network option, I intermittently connect or fail to connect to PSN.

There is a widespread DDOS attack but once again PSN seems especially weak in its ability to stay up while other services are still working. I'm pissed because I burned a vacation day to play Battlefield, not deal with this BS.

I didn't say it's their fault. I think they could offer a more robust service. Maybe this time was completely unavoidable but it's not the first time that I can connect to Live just fine but I can't connect to PSN, and the PS4 is my preferred system where I buy most of my games.

Like I said...this time might have been unavoidable, but my opinion is that their service is down more than it should be and I'll just leave it at that. It's like an employee that calls in sick a lot more than he should. It doesn't mean that one of those times he isn't actually legitimately sick.

thanks armchair network engineer

Again, any site that uses DynDNS for their DNS is going to be down.
This includes many websites and services - INCLUDING PSN.

This is a targeted attack on DynDNS.

Why are they targeted? Because look at all the sites that use them as a public DNS provider...

Edit: While changing your LOCAL DNS to Google's will use Google's DNS hosting for resolving any website, if the website itself uses Dyn, then Google DNS still has to talk to Dyn - which is down.

jimboton

EDIT: I guess YMMV. It worked just for me downloading a few pieces of DLC. Dunno how far it'll get you trying to play online.
Tried it and internet test got beyond 'Internet Connection', but still fail 'Playstation Network Sign-in'

Gamerman1

Figures store is down when I want to redeem BF1 bonus stuff. Got the Early Enlister Edition for the price of normal game due to the person not scanning game so might as well cash in the goods.

Oh I feel so much better lol. I kept switching DNS servers all morning. Used Google DNS for so long with no issues but this morning nothing worked. Switched back to isp DNS and things are working again. Except for Psn services and such.

Can confirm outage issues in SoCal

It seems that even Google DNS has problems. I changed to OpenDNS on my PS4 settings and now PSN is working perfectly.

OpenDNS addresses:
208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

zkorejo

It seems that even Google DNS has problems. I changed to OpenDNS on my PS4 settings and now PSN is working perfectly.

OpenDNS addresses:

I changed to OpenDNS 2 hours ago and it was still not working. I was signed into psn but couldn't access store, mp section of u4 or see my friendslist.

Demoskinos

OpenDNS addresses:

Couldn't log into Overwatch but that unfucked things enough that I can get into FFXIV so I'll take it I guess.

Farewell

Yup everything down for me in germany.

RIP weekend i guess, will go out tonight hope it will be fixed when i come back.

giphy.gif

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If I have to resort to mailing a sternly worded handwritten letter to Bish complaining about that time he banned me, by god I'll do it!

USPS and Canada Post will be the big winners here.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Guys can i recommend you a book to read while we wait for PSN to get back online? You see i've been reading One Hundred Years of Solitude and it's about this town called Macondo and it's people, it's pretty dope, better than Overwatch :D

Top Bottom