• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDOS attacks - targeting PSN, Spotify, Netflix, Comcast, etc

Jinjo

So why is this happening exactly? Is this a for 'shits and giggles' thing or is there some sort of dumb message behind it?

Neogaf is safe , for now.

Proof That this website is all that matters.

Anyway. Hopefully every service affected won't have any lasting sside effects.

Time to do some single players in the meanwhile.

Melchiah

I'm on the east coast as of right now, in the big red area its been affecting I guess? Haven't had issues with any of the above all day, not sure about PSN as I'm not around a console at the moment, but if that is true hopefully its resolved over the weekend.

It's actually a lesser issue for me, that it's in the weekend, when I don't usually play that much. Especially now, when I'm going to a little trip tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be sorted out before the weekend is over.

I can't check either if the PSN works now here in Finland, like it did about four hours ago, but the official website shows everything in red.

EDIT:
These fuckers couldn't have picked a worse time to take out PSN.

Was about to fire up Until Dawn for the first time, ugh.

Why wouldn't you be able to play it offline?

Lebon14

Actually, it touches everything Dyn. Inc. (Status website and updates) which has been hit by a DDOS. That company is responsible for many services such as Comcast (yup, an ISP...), twitter, spotify, etc. It mainly affect the astern coast of the US but Twitter, Spotify, etc can be felt worldwide.

Here's another article I found: https://www.bustle.com/articles/190...aybe-this-is-a-sign-we-all-need-to-unplug-for (Don't be fooled by the title).

And I'm probably very very very late at posting this.

LifEndz

I've been having trouble with Destiny the past few days, but this morning it was really difficult to connect. Almost relieved to hear it's a DDOS just so I know what the problem is. Hopefully it's resolved by the weekend. Trying to finish Heroic mode of Wrath of the Machine.

Why wouldn't you be able to play it offline?

Why wouldn't you be able to play a singleplayer game because online servers are down?
I have a rule of never playing games unpatched. If I'm playing a game for the first time, I make sure to download the latest updates beforehand for an optimal experience.

My favorite game of last year!

I've been wanting to do my second playthrough, but games just keep releasing.
I've heard so many good things. Now is as good a time as ever with Halloween around the corner :p

Wow, all those. I only ran into twitter and PSN, but assumed it was happening to a lot of big stuff.

Just in time to be a big election issue in the final hours, and then something for doubters and spinners to talk about for years after the results come in. *sigh*

The real tragedy is that twitter is down so I can't read twitter memes and meltdowns about everything being down.

So why is this happening exactly? Is this a for 'shits and giggles' thing or is there some sort of dumb message behind it?
Considering the target (a major DNS provider), I suspect this attack is merely a proof of concept, and it's a hacker or group of hackers demonstrating that yes, the botnet that they have has enough firepower to take out one of the larger DNS providers.

Fair warning, I suspect this will become the new normal with regards to DDOSes.

Cappa

Banned
im still experiencing issues with alot of the websites including PSN... why are there reports of everything being stabilized? lol

Gamerman1

Im barely on my PS4 and every single time i try to get on someones messin with PSN. I was going to buy the infamous DLC today :l

I have about 7 unopened games and just got BF1 today. I am out of my funk and want to start gaming daily again and I can;t do shit. Seems to be an issue when I really want to play lol.

Cappa

Banned
whatsapp is down for me.

This site can’t be reached

web.whatsapp.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Not sure if it is related, but our Virgin Media broadband has been down in Edinburgh for the past 24 hours. I called them today and they said they suspect it'd be fixed after a few hours. 7 hours later, still dead. Anyone having similar issues?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
2016 so far is cracking up to be a really swell year, with how much shit has happened this year this is definitely going to be a memorable one.

AaronMT86

Prediction: A massive, sustained attack will occur on key US Internet infra on election night in an attempt to debase the US election results.

Sky87

Is this something affecting everyone everywhere? I can access Twitter fine, same with Guardian, Whatsapp etc, which has been reported as not working by some in here. Can also access Sony's account website.

EDIT: PSN is indeed down on my PS4.

SuperSah

Banned
Yeah, PSN still not working (UK).

I bought BF1 to enjoy after a long and hard day/week and I'm sat here to this fuckery.

Top Bottom