• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDOS messaging is a thing now on PSN.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Spam = DDOS now? Sure. InigoMontoya.jpg

Also, the arguments seem to centre around whether or not Sony act quickly and appropriately enough to reports of misuse. It is reasonable to expect them to deal with it, and if they do then what's the problem?

Opened that website out of curiosity and greeted with this.
txwpwtt.jpg

God what a scummy piece of shit.
Can Sony slam this website?

FingerBang

I had no idea this was a thing, but I rarely play with random people online. Let's make sure Sony knows and they might solve it.

Or you can stop using that character and/or quit Overwatch. Easy!

Gxgear

Wait, so people here actually thinks that paying $60 entitles you to not know how to work an existing setting that prevents you from getting spammed in the first place?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Wait, so people here actually thinks that paying $60 entitles you to not know how to work an existing setting that prevents you from getting spammed in the first place?
It's not a perfect solution though. The obvious thing being that you can't again receive messages from strangers you play with that want to communicate with you.

Gxgear

It's not a perfect solution though. The obvious thing being that you can't again receive messages from strangers you play with that want to communicate with you.

You can friend invite AND attach a message at the same time.

What you can't do is stop people from being idiots on the internet, no matter what platform it's on.

Blocking doesn't work. It's a new user each message. Same scam "free psn card" message sent to a group. Leaving the group does nothing. Blocking sender does nothing.

eXistor

I never give out my PSN and I've been getting that fake PSN code nonsense as well. I block 'em everytime but it doesn't matter.

xJavonta

Banned
Then they should learn how to use their fucking equipment.

I'd put money on it that at least 10% of the carnival of stupid on this thread re-use passwords, will have had at least one account with their details compromised and still try and blame a third party when their shit gets stolen.
This is how bad tech and UI is made.

Good UI and product development is made with the user in mind. Hiding shit in a sea of unintuitive menus isn't good product design.

Cranster

Banned
I have had a similar situation on Xbox Live but not to that extent. Basicaly it was somebody who wanted to purchase my Bungie.net account. Definitely a phishing scam.

k2PZYIK.jpg

i actually reported one such message to sony , only to get schooled by them saying they did not find it as spam, and i should use the report button more carefully in future

biteren

yeah, this is pretty fucked.

i tweeted Shu about it, hopefully he saw it

i havent recieved spam like this, but i think im getting into that territory due to a few salty messages i get sometimes.

SephiZack

I have never received spam even though my privacy settings are set to "everyone", but after reading this thread I will change it to friends only

test_account

XP-39C²
Not last I checked (PS3). Sony really dropped the ball in regards to privacy settings.
When was the last time you checked? This has been possible for years now :)

You know spam filters are a thing right? They're not science fiction. Or how about better catchas? Notice how these fucks can effortlessly generate PSN users at will for their spam service.

And friends only is a terrible solution.
How do you know that they create these effortless and that a different captcha would have made a big difference? Creating accounts manually is no big deal either. And what do you mean with spam filters? Really dont think this is a widespread issue that they need to add a spam folder on the Playstations.

Melchiah

For a paid service PSN is trash.

But hey, #fortheplayers and Kaz gifs right?

Locking everybody out of messaging you is a shit solution. Many of the people in my friends list are there because of post game banter.

You're not locking friends out, but those that aren't on your list.

ty_hot

I looged in in my old PSN account this week to try to redeem the For Honor beta code and I had 4 group messages like that. I probably logged in this account 3 or 4 times this and last year and never played a game in it. Before that the last time I used it was in 2011.

My current PSn account didnt get any of those messages though.

panty

i actually reported one such message to sony , only to get schooled by them saying they did not find it as spam, and i should use the report button more carefully in future

Not believing you for a second without proof, sorry.

E: Just to clarify, I've reported multiple abusive messages to Sony and everytime they've thanked me and said to warn/do something to the other person.

Not believing you for a second without proof, sorry.

E: Just to clarify, I've reported multiple abusive messages to Sony and everytime they've thanked me and said to warn/do something to the other person.

This is what I from Sony after just reporting a group message advertising an "unpatched psn code scraper"

The key text,
We ask all our players to use the reports responsibly. Abusing the report function (for example unfairly targeting other players, or repeatedly using it for content that clearly doesn't need moderation) is against our Code of Conduct, and may lead to action against the abuser.

makes it sound like they're threatening to ban me for reporting scammers

Septimius

This is what I from Sony after just reporting one of those "get cheap PSN cards here!!" group messages

The key text,

makes it sound like they're threatening to ban me for reporting scammers

Oh, that's just standard text. They're saying "Thank you!", and then than bottom part is probably part of all their communications, by the way I'm reading it.

KORNdoggy

while i haven't had a continuous stream of messaged like this. i have been added to 2 chats that were giving away "free PSN game codes...they really work!!" lol. i just report them and leave the chat. but even twice is annoying.

xealo

For those suggesting to just turn off non friend messages as a good solution, wouldn't it be better if Sony implemented something similar to what Steam has, where you have to spend like 5 dollars on PSN to get access to community features?

It's just 1 month of PS+ which just about anyone who's playing with friends will be getting regardless, but it would put a pretty sizeable roadblock for sites that create bot accounts for the purpose of spamming PSN users, if they need to pay for each account to function like they want.

Top Bottom