• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDOSer is a top 500 player on PS4 and he still isn't banned (Overwatch)

benzopil

Console versions still don't have a report system.

Reddit thread is here
I can't mention his name because it would count as witch hunting but he's a hacker who DDoS attacks his opponents and then wins the game by holding their connection down, so they are unable to rejoin to the match. He is able to do this because the PS4 system has a bug: if someone joins to your party (voice chat) you are able to get his IP. So basically at the beginning of the match he creates a party, invites all six enemy players, and if one of them accepts the invite, nukes his connection.
After finishing the last season on 4200, his placement matches in season 5 put him to 2800
threatening his teammates who decided to throw the game because they didn't want to support a hacker (everyone knows his name in grandmaster for doing this, he is like an infamous celebrity), telling them that he's going to hack their account and expose their IP's on his website
tl;dr this DDOSer's actual rank is ~2500 but he can easily reach top 500 if someone from the enemy team accepts his invite to the party chat over and over. Apparently Sony blames Blizzard, Blizzard blames Sony. But he still isn't banned.

Witch hunt isn't allowed on Reddit, that's why mods delete threads with links and a name.
Here is how he does it
Here nobody from enemy team joined party but his team decided to throw the game so he doesn't get any SR

Why not just out the player? If you're confident this person is doing what you're saying they're doing then just let everyone know.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Out me, and I'll hack your account and expose your IP on my website. I've worked my ass off trying to stay under the radar and not get caught, and I'll be damned if some salty scrub ruins that for me.

Out me, and I'll hack your account and expose your IP on my website. I've worked my ass off trying to stay under the radar and not get caught, and I'll be damned if some salty scrub ruins that for me.

can't be you because this kid flaunts his bullshit knowing full well that moderation is limp-dicked and he won't be punished

Too late I already hacked you.

T_1-1L.gif

Exactly. The rationale for not outing the hacker makes zero sense to me...Maybe there's more to the story than we know.

Exactly. The rationale for not outing the hacker makes zero sense to me...Maybe there's more to the story than we know.
Probably just doesn't want to get banned from the subreddit for putting somebody on blast. They tend to have zero tolerance policies even if the person deserves it.

Dynomutt

Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa.
You've just been cursed. Your ranking now start to tank and the components in your console will degrade until it is a husk of itself.

Nimby

Banned
It's a PSN issue. Nothing to do with Blizzard, but they can ban him as well.

EDIT: You can't "witch hunt" on the Overwatch Reddit, which is why the hacker isn't named. There are some videos out there that the OP is going to post.

I dunno if Blizzard even do single bans. Typically they will announce a massive wave of bans. They've been doing that on PC side and they are permanent except for SK where PC bangs (internet cafes) are huge and they can't ban those PC's so they go after the source. As for obtaining the IPs through voice chat, is that done through PSN system? If so, it's not really Blizz's fault there. Sony should never have IP exposed in their VoIP.

Nimby

Banned
Well Bungie bans DDOSers from Trials of Osiris in Destiny.

Yeah, but the issue doesn't involve Overwatch at all. Sony has to be the one to truly fix it.

About the single bans thing. There was a player last season on PC who would play with a GM 6-stack in less populated regions and pad their stats, I think their name was Cantus. Don't know if they got banned or not.

TheYanger

But isnt it Sonys fault if its so easy to get their ip though PSN?

I mean, it's Sony's responsibility on all ends, Xbox Live and PSN take away the control over the user accounts that the PC version has, but they don't want to handle the complaints specific to the game. Especially obviously on the platform holder's end when the entire exploit is of an OS level function, and nothing to do with the game itself :/

PC version stays winning like usual for Blizz games.

DocSeuss

I don't know how Sony hasn't fixed this, but I'm not sure why Blizzard hasn't banned him and demanded Sony fix their awful service.

What I REALLY don't understand, though, is why nobody has ever accepted a party invite from a random.

Is this doable on XBL? I dont DDOS but just curious.

Never tried it, because I'm not the kind of no-talent loser who has to resort to cheating to feel like a winner, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft does a much better job obfuscating that information.

Joco

Regardless of Blizzard's inaction, it seems like someone shouldn't be able to get your IP address (which allows this guy to do what he does) from joining someone else's party chat. Apparently it's an issue on both PS4 and X1 from what I've read.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Dick bags deserve to be outted. It helped me immensely when I ran into Miz_one on PSN when several YouTube videos outted him being a total fucking price of shit to his teammates. Never bothered going into chat.

cakely

Regardless of Blizzard's inaction, it seems like someone shouldn't be able to get your IP address (which allows this guy to do what he does) from joining someone else's party chat. Apparently it's an issue on both PS4 and X1 from what I've read.

Pretty sure netstat will give you the IP address of someone in party chat.

It would work the same way in any peer-to-peer situation, you just have to watch to see where your packets are going.

But NeoGAF told me hackers and cheaters were on PC only and consoles were a safe haven??

A DDOS attack isn't hacking. The attacker doesn't gain access to any part of the victim's account, he just overwhelms their network connection so that they have to drop their connection to the game.

sensi97

So the victims have to join the PSN voice chat to get their IP exposed.

Educate the users. Don't accept "Party Chat" request from strangers. edit: join party with your friends

It's a P2P voice chat: your IP is public.

CAR105 3

Never tried it, because I'm not the kind of no-talent loser who has to resort to cheating to feel like a winner, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft does a much better job obfuscating that information.
i feel the same way, but now that I know this I'll keep doing as I always have of not joining randoms.

So the victims have to join the PSN voice chat to get their IP exposed.

Educate the users. Don't accept "Party Chat" request from strangers. Set it to friend only.

It's a P2P voice chat: your IP is public.

Or...don't put restrictions on users not doing anything wrong and just ban the one user that is

Just for the record, the anti witchhunting rules on reddit are generally there for rood reason. Too many times one of these people gets doxxed and harassed. Even if this guy's a bad dude, enforcing the rules consistently is necessary to keep the reddit nutcases in check.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Console Overwatch Diamond and up is already bad enough with some top people using KB + M but this is like icing on the terrible cake. I'd honestly like to see console Overwatch tournaments(with a controller only rule) just to see these people get exposed for either showing up and getting crushed by controller players or just not showing up in general because they'd know they'd lose.

DocSeuss

A DDOS attack isn't hacking. The attacker doesn't gain access to any part of the victim's account, he just overwhelms their network connection so that they have to drop their connection to the game.

He might not be a hacker, but he's still a cheater, so the initial statement stands.

Console Overwatch Diamond and up is already bad enough with some top people using KB + M but this is like icing on the terrible cake. I'd honestly like to see console Overwatch tournaments(with a controller only rule) just to see these people get exposed for either showing up and getting crushed by controller players or just not showing up in general because they'd know they'd lose.

It's not true mouse and keyboard. They're limited by console input speeds n' such. The precision isn't that noticeably different for most players. Like, I've considered doing it just to avoid the pain of using a controller competitively (I have severe chronic pain issues, so it's an accessibility issue for me), but I just end up playing on PC most of the time instead. It works for me.

Top Bottom