• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 - Extended Gameplay Revealed (15 Minutes)

Draugoth

Gold Member

Get a glimpse of Dead Island 2’s epic pulp adventure in action with this first extended gameplay reveal. Follow slayer Dani through the undead streets of Beverly Hills and Bel-Air; take a look at the lethal weapons, tactical combat, brand-new skills system, and revolutionary FLESH dismemberment system. See you in HELL-A Slayers! Dead Island 2 comes out April 21, 2023 launching for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Looks great, could be the best game with zombies (or whatever they are else called) since Dead Rising.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Looks like a fun romp. Not without its issues in the animation department (I love the voodoo mind control to turn the valve, LOL).

hyperbertha

Looking good, Dead Island is a guilty pleasure of mine.
I know the game is mediocore at best but damn, I love slashing zombies in "paradises"
There was something about the original's open world that was so immersive. Maybe it was the extreme details. It really felt lived in. You felt like you were there.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Also the UI looks like its straight out of a mobile game. Too many red flags with this game, its insane how people are hyped about this.

Bartski

Gold Member
Looks really cool except UI kind of ruins it. Awful hud, health bars and damage numbers, somehow all absent in earlier previews, I wonder why... /s

I'm sure you can disable them but the fact they're likely core to the design and recommended way to play pisses me off.

Still getting it but I want to see reviews

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Slow ass boring controller gameplay. -_-zzzz

"Dead Island 2 comes out April 21, 2023 launching for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S."

Excuse me? No PC? edit: It's is. EGS.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Seems cool. But how open world is this, linear on-rails or semi open maps?

Edit: It's EGS exclus ive, lol Oh well, no DI2 for me then.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
This aged worse than Dying Light 2 did.

Looks like they didn't upgrade a single QOL or other thing since the year they started developing it. Level design right out of PS3 era.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This is looks like a LOT more fun than I was expecting. Guess I'll use the refunds I get from Rumbleverse to buy this, haha. (Thanks Iron Galaxy!)

This is looking more so like what I wanted. A sequel to the first game, where it adds more, and looks improved here and there. Looks a lot less janky, especially from this footage.

This aged worse than Dying Light 2 did.

Looks like they didn't upgrade a single QOL or other thing since the year they started developing it.
Eh, I think that's subjective. IMO this gameplay looks much more appealing than anything that was in DL2. The gore tech alone carries it, I think.

Really? I feel like they definitely did since the first game. At least looking at it.

Well, and let's be real, for the development hell this game was in for SO many years, it's a plus that it looks as good as it does.

Last edited:
This looks like a fun game, everything looks polished to a decent degree, the customization and skills look nice, and it looks like it could have decent humor in it. However, at the same time everything I’m seeing instantly makes me want to wait for a sale.

Is this the ideal game for something like gamepass?

Because I can’t shake the feeling that this all fits the definition of a gamepass game perfectly.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Janky how? If we're comparing to the first 2 Dead Island games, it looks positively solid. Gunplay also looks solid compared to its predecessors.
Animations are horrid as shit. Look at your character running lmao. Looks like hes running on a treadmill barely moving forward. Zombie animations are stiff, off, miles behind a game that came out 7? years ago called Dying Light, same with the melee weapons. They call zombie dismemberment as if its innovative when Dying Light already had that shit. Everything looks stiff, janky, rushed.

GymWolf

Animations are horrid as shit. Look at your character running lmao. Looks like hes running on a treadmill barely moving forward. Zombie animations are stiff, off, miles behind a game that came out 7? years ago called Dying Light, same with the melee weapons. They call zombie dismemberment as if its innovative when Dying Light already had that shit. Everything looks stiff, janky, rushed.
Their forte is the layered skin system not the dismemberment.

Dl1 had decals for damage but here the system seems way more deep, there is a dedicated video where they speak about the difference between their gore system and your run of the mill gore system.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Their forte is the layered skin system not the dismemberment.

Dl1 had decals for damage but here the system seems way more deep, there is a dedicated video where they speak about the difference between their gore system and your run of the mill gore system.

Yes because I will certainly stop and look at a zombies skin falling off, while Im slashing and shooting and running for my life from other 50 zombies. I saw the video but nah, I'm not feeling it.

GymWolf

Yes because I will certainly stop and look at a zombies skin falling off, while Im slashing and shooting and running for my life from other 50 zombies. I saw the video but nah, I'm not feeling it.
I mean, you can apply that to literally everything...

I enjoy seeing and advanced gore system when i slay mofos, it's not like you are fighting 50 zombies at super high pace for all the 30-40 hours of the game lenght.

You fight at an even higher pace in doom eternal and people enjoyed the gore system there...

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I mean, you can apply that to literally everything...

I enjoy seeing and advanced gore system when i slay mofos, it's not like you are fighting 50 zombies at super high pace for all the 30-40 hours of the game lenght.

You fight at an even higher pace in doom eternal and people enjoyed the gore system there...

I have nothing against gore but Dead Island 2's overly complicated gore system is useless. Doom Eternal as well as Dying Light already did it perfectly fine. I'd rather have them focus on better animations.

GymWolf

I have nothing against gore but Dead Island 2's overly complicated gore system is useless. Doom Eternal as well as Dying Light already did it perfectly fine. I'd rather have them focus on better animations.
Nobody is gonna nail zombie movements and animations like dl1, the same devs weren't able to replicate the magic in the sequel and i have no hope for this one aswell.

At least i get an advanced gore system as a consolation prize...

Last edited:
Also the UI looks like its straight out of a mobile game. Too many red flags with this game, its insane how people are hyped about this.
Go Away Goodbye GIF

tmlDan

This looks great, I don't get what people are saying when they say it looks like 10 years ago.....I've never seen anything even close to this 10 years ago.

Nice environmental interactions, good weapon upgrades, the impressive zombie kills and gore. Looks like they have a lot of variety depending on weapon usage.

Looks like a blast, and graphically it looks great

oji-san

Banned
I like it and will get it soon as it's 30 bucks on PSN/XBL.
Cool setting, has dodge, firearms, cool way to dismember zombies and heard it got 60fps option on consoles.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Gameplay looks cool, but is this only in small streets no open world? And of course, the German version is cut.

Hugare

Graphically it looks great, but it also looks like every other zombie game ever

The UI, customizing weapons with absurd stuff, enemy types (brute and etc,), stats everywhere, enemies with healthbars

Despite the FLESH system, it has zero innovation compared to what Dead Rising and even the original Dead Island were doing back then

Dying Light had the day/night cycle mechanic and parkour, and despite DL 2 being a swing and miss, at least they had some ambition

This game is a prettier Dead Island game reskined

Kupfer

Gameplay looks cool, but is this only in small streets no open world? And of course, the German version is cut.
Import it from Österreich then.
This game is a prettier Dead Island game reskined
Yes. Exactly, and that's not a bad thing. I feel Dead Island vibes like it was 2011 and don't know what people expect since this is a sequel.

Top Bottom