• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 Runs at 1080p on PS4 Pro, while Xbox One X goes up to 4K and includes HDR support

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If it's 1080p on ps4 pro, I wonder if the base ps4 is like 900p...
Also, they admitted that it's not a full 60 fps on XBX. A fighting game like this should be 60 fps. I would check out the 4K, but I would prefer the "action" over graphics mode.
No they didn't. They said the resolution is dynamic to maintain 60fps.

Journey

Banned
It's native 4k or dynamic 4k on X ?

That's a good question, and if it is dynamic, the quote about not being able to handle 4k/60 at all times is not really a big deal if it's maintaining a solid 60fps throughout and just dropping resolution when needed.

Iorv3th

It's odd that Xbox One X is the only platform with HDR. HDR doesn't require any extra power does it? Are there other multiplatform games where HDR is exclusive to one console?

ethomaz

Banned
No they didn't. They said the resolution is dynamic to maintain 60fps.
"It’s impossible to maintain 60fps at all times with 4K resolution, but you’ll enjoy beautiful graphics."

They said you will enjoy the beautiful graphics in 4k but not 60fps all the time.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
HDR is so dead in the water. A lot of people don't even like the way it looks when it's working properly.

They need to focus on 4k/120hz first. It's a way more obvious benefit.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
"It’s impossible to maintain 60fps at all times with 4K resolution, but you’ll enjoy beautiful graphics."

They said you will enjoy the beautiful graphics in 4k but not 60fps all the time.
I guess I read that as it meaning the resolution will be dynamic because it is impossible to maintain 60 at 4k. Could go either way.

Quezacolt

Doesnt sound right that the pro can only run at 1080. I've seen games that look better and have higher resolution, so not sure what happened here. Anyway, i just hope the games end up being good, and that they don't try to dry our wallets like with the previous game and it's hundreds of DLC

dirthead

Banned
Doesnt sound right that the pro can only run at 1080. I've seen games that look better and have higher resolution, so not sure what happened here. Anyway, i just hope the games end up being good, and that they don't try to dry our wallets like with the previous game and it's hundreds of DLC

I don't think Tecmo's developers are anything to write home about technical prowess wise. They really should just give up and use the Unreal engine. They can't do better themselves. Anyone else remember Ninja Gaiden 2 and its horrific slowdown?

Lone Wolf

Damn PS4 Pro just gets 1080p and they bother with 4k on X1X when it's impossible to maintain the framerate..... In a fighting game?!
What Tecmo thinking.
Poor effort on Pro and fucked on X lol why would they do this.
PS. I hope you X1X owners can disable 4K Res, is that possible?
The X has a 1080p 60fps mode

I don't think Tecmo's developers are anything to write home about technical prowess wise. They really should just give up and use the Unreal engine. They can't do better themselves. Anyone else remember Ninja Gaiden 2 and its horrific slowdown?
I mean Unreal didn't help Bamco with Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur VI (which I would rate below DOA6 graphics based on beta experience), which both did this same thing (worse actually on the base consoles), and Koei Tecmo aren't much better, so I doubt that would have helped much.

Quezacolt

Remember the good old times, when fighting games were not only some of the best visually in a console's library, but also super well optimized? When i look at a fighting game nowadays, there's nothing in them that seem much better than most open worlds games that we have, and those have have to render not only the characters, but a huge landscape. not even the character models in fighting games seem a huge step up from other types of games. Now compare that to soul calibur on the dreamcast, beautiful character models, best than 99% of what you could find in the platform

Xbox supports VRR these days, no?
I haven't came across any comparison how that all turned out compared to locked or unlocked without VRR.

It's not even variable refresh rate that is the issue. It's that it's a competitive game that is VERY reliant on timing, and frame perfect inputs.

Input latency is the big issue.

Journey

Banned
It's not even variable refresh rate that is the issue. It's that it's a competitive game that is VERY reliant on timing, and frame perfect inputs.

Input latency is the big issue.

But do we know if it's a solid 60 with dynamic resolution?

Esppiral

And then you remember how Dead or Alive 2 was an absolute marvel on Dreamcast better than the overhyped Soul Calibur.

doa2-dreamcast-screenshot3.jpg

4.jpg

Yep emulator screenshots.

thelastword

Banned
At this point, you guys know that the disparity between PRO and XBONEX is not 1080p to 4K, but yet you go on.........

So you mean to tell me, you rather play a fighter in Dynamic Rez up to 4K, with a variable framerate, when they say PRO is locked at 60fps? Yet they never said PRO does not have a high rez mode now did they, but even if it didn't, for a fighter framerate is king....

So you mean to tell me, you rather play a fighter in Dynamic Rez up to 4K, with a variable framerate, when they say PRO is locked at 60fps? Yet they never said PRO does not have a high rez mode now did they, but even if it didn't, for a fighter framerate is king....

Honestly, considering the lack of fighting sticks for Xbox One that work without $100 adapters, I'd just buy DOA5 on PS4 or PC. Xbox DPads have never really been good for fighting or rhythm games, so the only alternative are fightsticks or sucking up with the analog stick and losing input precision.

HDR is so dead in the water. A lot of people don't even like the way it looks when it's working properly.

They need to focus on 4k/120hz first. It's a way more obvious benefit.

Pretty obvious you don't have a high-end OLED 4K TV where HRD is GOD. Actually, HDR changes the image much more than better resolution, not even close.

That's why the lack of HDR support for the PS4 version is both puzzling and disappointing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No they are giving options for framerate or resolution. They are giving no choices for the Pro.

Ah okay, so the first page some people were acting a fool.

Strange inconsistency, but I'd rather play it at a locked 60fps no matter the platform.

Damn PS4 Pro just gets 1080p and they bother with 4k on X1X when it's impossible to maintain the framerate..... In a fighting game?!
What Tecmo thinking.
Poor effort on Pro and fucked on X lol why would they do this.
PS. I hope you X1X owners can disable 4K Res, is that possible?

Two graphics options ffs. Frame rate n resolution

sn0man

Power of the jiggle unlocks the fp16 :messenger_waving::messenger_waving:

Wouldn’t it be that fp16 can not contain full resolution DOA assets?

Xbox supports VRR these days, no?
I haven't came across any comparison how that all turned out compared to locked or unlocked without VRR.
Okay..I'm putting on my tin foil hat here so please bear with me...the PS4 is going to be the competitive's scenes choice almost assuredly and having an option to have the game run at a fluctuating frame rate just adds another headache to the already long lists of headaches that a TO has.

VRR is awesome but fighting games require frame timing and are almost always built around specific frames. I can’t see how they’ll balance the game for 60fps and then for ~55fps unless they lower the input latency to the lowest common denominator (SFV?).

The x1x version of DOA6 could just have a “tournament” selection in the main menu that forces prefer frame rate.

Shin

Banned
Wouldn’t it be that fp16 can not contain full resolution DOA assets?
Dude plz FP16 is so godly to a certain person who I shall not name that even DBZ can't chart it, get with the program you scrub :messenger_unamused:
In all seriousness though I believe beta players said the game have slowdown or input lag or something so yeah not sure how or if/when they'll fix that.
Assuming they want to jump on (or more) the eSport scene they'll need to remedy it, on that note I also believe the choice for the default outfit has to with eSport.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
To me it sounds like 1X is getting an option to choose between 60fps with variable resolution that goes up to 4k or keep 4k always with framerate drops.

If I can get just 1440p at 60fps I'm totally happy.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Always put priority on frame pacing, input responsiveness and frame rate. Drop the resolution down as much as you need. This is a fighting game, and as such it’s pretty much a requirement to have perfect inputs. I mean yeah you can push the visuals a little more here, but don’t forget the rules.

Pretty obvious you don't have a high-end OLED 4K TV where HRD is GOD. Actually, HDR changes the image much more than better resolution, not even close.

You don't even need a high end OLED to appreciate it. I have a mid range 4K TV and the benefit of HDR is immediately and starkly obvious. Sure, it doesn't blow you away as much as it might on a high end OLED with perfect black levels, but it still always looks lightyears better than SDR when properly implemented.

I always assumed those who "don't like the way it looks" are just bitter because they can't afford it, as is the case 99.9% of the time you see people shitpost about new tech online.

thelastword

Banned
This sound more like the PS4 Pro is just using boost mode
Ha, sounds like it "1080p - 4K" (yeesh). ......Yet, they did say, PRO is using better settings than vanilla PS4. Too bad I didn't get the chance to play the demo/beta some weeks back........Yet, 60fps takes pole position, I hope the 1080p mode has good AA at least, because the port of DOA5 had none on PS4 and IQ was less than ideal.....You can't be boasting great looking girls with physics up the wazoo with aliasing all over the place.....I hope their texture work has improved from part 5 as well...

What you exactly mean with that? Is there a Sony section here, or is GAF mostly crowded by sony fans?

Have to admit..it’s nowhere near as bad as it was but there are still some pretty hardcore fans who would probably have a ps4 tattoo on a body part ...cough cough the last word cough cough

TacosNSalsa

VRR is awesome but fighting games require frame timing and are almost always built around specific frames. I can’t see how they’ll balance the game for 60fps and then for ~55fps unless they lower the input latency to the lowest common denominator (SFV?).

The x1x version of DOA6 could just have a “tournament” selection in the main menu that forces prefer frame rate.

Im no developer but i dont see how they could balance a fighting game around a fluctuating frame rate . When i press a button, that move has to come out the same exact way every time, if it doesn't and frames/ animations/ frametimes start moving around you now have a random element (other than the player) in the game and all the technical gameplay that fighters are known for goes out the window.

As for the tournament selection , the XIX will have a 1080p/60 mode ..but if I was a tournament organizer I wouldn't want the annoyance of having an variable frame rate mode because ..well frankly people suck . I remember during the SFIV years people begging Spooky to turn on character themes because all we heard for hours on end was the freaking training stage theme and he said people mess with the options all the time . He'll change it to character themes and they change it back . It go to the point where he just gave up . I can almost guarantee someone at some time is going go in there and f*ck with it ..

thelastword

Banned
And then you remember how Dead or Alive 2 was an absolute marvel on Dreamcast better than the overhyped Soul Calibur.

doa2-dreamcast-screenshot3.jpg

4.jpg

Yep emulator screenshots.
I still prefer the vibrancy and color of these old games......DOA1, 2, DOA3 and 4.......DOA4 had great IQ on XB360 btw...

Top Bottom