• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 Ultimate ?

Do you think Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo are planning to release a Dead or Alive 6 Ultimate soon ?

DOA has still potential. While it's quite a "good/ok" game, it could have been a lot better right ?

The game lacks of content (stages, win pause & entrance, end match camera replay, and some details...) and it seams like the development was a bit rushed. I'm sure DOA6 would have been better with more time allowed and for a next gen release.

Dead or Alive 6 is a solid and enjoyable/fun fighting game (game engine, gameplay, animations, music, graphics...) but it's clearly not enough to be the top great fighting game or a very very good DOA like it was in the past. The game needs some polish and adjusment, DOA6 needs more love.

What you think we gonna have ?

Do you think DOA6U is possible with the next gen incoming ? Maybe an announcement at TGS ?

Aggelos

They need to bring back Itagaki and make the game a fighting game again and not a costume DLC shop.

He doesn't seem inclined to return to Tecmo-Koei. People were asking him on Facebook, whether he would return to Team Ninja and his reply was that he prefers looking ahead.

WS4CUJF.jpg

Itagaki seems to be working on something new

OgPzdlY.jpg

Who knows...
Meanwhile...

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Do you think Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo are planning to release a Dead or Alive 6 Ultimate soon ?

DOA has still potential. While it's quite a "good/ok" game, it could have been a lot better right ?

The game lacks of content (stages, win pause & entrance, end match camera replay, and some details...) and it seams like the development was a bit rushed. I'm sure DOA6 would have been better with more time allowed and for a next gen release.

Dead or Alive 6 is a solid and enjoyable/fun fighting game (game engine, gameplay, animations, music, graphics...) but it's clearly not enough to be the top great fighting game or a very very good DOA like it was in the past. The game needs some polish and adjusment, DOA6 needs more love.

Do you think DOA6U is possible with the next gen incoming ? Maybe an announcement at TGS ?

I don't think so. The game didn't resonate too well with the fans. No where near as well as DOA5 that got 2 more versions, 3 if you count console gen switch. They earned tons by selling countless costume packs for DOA5. Making costumes for DOA6 was harder, more time and resource consuming.

DOA6 was panned for:
Awful grind system to get costumes.(Was adjusted multiple times after players expressed their hate)
Not enough costumes and weak selection overall.
Some weird face redesigns.
Underwhelming online. (No lobbies for months)
Game was supposed to be more balanced than 5 but players quickly found ridiculous death(or borderline death) combos using stage gimmicks. So not really balanced.

While the game isn't bad I think it's generally not considered great sequel. Even after patches. I don't think Tecmo will go after another DOA6 until they figure out how to please the fans and start making as much money on costumes packs like they did for DOA5 Last Round.

Matt_Fox

I've enjoyed the free core version and if Team Ninja did release an Ultimate edition maxed out specifically for next gen then I'd pay full price for that. If it were a cross gen half-step I'm not sure the difference would warrant a purchase.

I still remember Dead Or Alive 3 as a launch title for the OG Xbox and being wowed by the graphics (it sold over one million copies). That's the standard Team Ninja need to aspire to, DOA needs to be visually cutting edge.

nush

They need to bring back Itagaki and make the game a fighting game again and not a costume DLC shop.

I once drunk purchased £250 of costume DLC for DOA5 just trying to get the full costume set for Kasumi. In the cold light of day when the credit card statement arrived and I realized what had happened that night I was too embarrassed to even call up Xbox support and claim "My kid did it".

Going by when the game launched, arguable lack of content, and fairly inconsistent visual quality, there's the impression DoA6 was something of a beta for an eventual update on next-gen systems, but after the game's rocky reception, I'm more inclined to think Koei Tecmo will bury the DoA6 name and move to DoA7 or some other branding. From a tech standpoint, I'd expect the next installment will still be an evolution of DoA6. Also, considering this is Koei Tecmo, going with a DoA7 would help them duck requests of people wanting to move their game profiles & DLC to an upgraded DoA6.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

One point I would make is that in the settings DOA6 can be set to 'graphics' or 'performance'. I have the game on Xbox One X and in 'graphics' mode the visuals do look noticeably better but the frame rate is so poor that its unplayable.

On the Series X or PS5 the graphics mode should run like a dream, so the base game will recieve a nice boost. This is all the more reason why an 'Ultimate' edition needs to be more than a half-step if Team Ninja want to sell copies, as the half-step will already be supplied by graphics mode.

I once drunk purchased £250 of costume DLC for DOA5 just trying to get the full costume set for Kasumi. In the cold light of day when the credit card statement arrived and I realized what had happened that night I was too embarrassed to even call up Xbox support and claim "My kid did it".
You nushed yourself into otaku shame mah boi.

Aggelos

Back in the Japan Fighting Game Publishers Round-table, while Youhei Shinbori (DOA6 director) was showing the DOA6 swag (the Tamaki updates for DOA6 arcade version), Katsuhiro Harada grabbed a poster of Itagaki, flashed it on his webcam, started roasting Shinbori, and cracked a couple of jokes while he was at it.
He said to Shinbori-san that the series' future is in his hands now and stuff like that.

Thus, really it's rather unsure whether Shinbori-san and his chums at Team Ninja plan to upgrade DOA6 (with a new version of it), or write it off and move ahead with the next installment.

kwIU1GW.jpg

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I felt like Tecmo mainly focused on costumes and dress up with DOA6, probably trying to reproduce the DOA5 costume revenue stream. The gameplay suffered, imo. I'd like them to move to 7 and make gameplay the foundation, but they probably won't because fighting games aren't popular enough these days for people to actually buy them.

I don't think so. The game didn't resonate too well with the fans. No where near as well as DOA5 that got 2 more versions, 3 if you count console gen switch. They earned tons by selling countless costume packs for DOA5. Making costumes for DOA6 was harder, more time and resource consuming.

DOA6 was panned for:
Awful grind system to get costumes.(Was adjusted multiple times after players expressed their hate)
Not enough costumes and weak selection overall.
Some weird face redesigns.
Underwhelming online. (No lobbies for months)
Game was supposed to be more balanced than 5 but players quickly found ridiculous death(or borderline death) combos using stage gimmicks. So not really balanced.

While the game isn't bad I think it's generally not considered great sequel. Even after patches. I don't think Tecmo will go after another DOA6 until they figure out how to please the fans and start making as much money on costumes packs like they did for DOA5 Last Round.
What faces redesigns are you talking about? Faces and models in general are apart from gameplay imo the only thing they nailed. Costumes are disappointing for the most part and it's a shame they cut support so early..

xion4360

im the biggest DOA fan youll probably find on here.. and I do not want DOA6U...just move on to 7 and make some changes like more attention to polish, more open and multi-tiered stages, more interesting/unique stages and locations and far more robust character customization (no garbage DLC like copy/paste sets, reused costumes as paid dlc and BS like pay to change hair color)

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

It's a franchise title which needs to keep moving forward to get better. They could make an ultimate but they need a DOA ready for the next gen consoles...so, I think we're good with 6 the way it is.

Pejo

Pretty sure this series is just going to be gacha fodder and Venus Vacation crap for the time being. I'm still mad at how 6 turned out.

Aggelos

How are they going to give it a chance? The DLC support has ceased - it ceased some months ago. As far as I can gather, between DOA5 -> DOA5U -> DOA5LR there had been continuous and uninterrupted DLC support. Things had been in motion, all the time.

Aldynes

I've always loved DOA games, gameplay is so much fun, the whole triangle mechanic (attack/counter/hold ) is pure fun, i adore virtua fighter but this is more casual friendly and spectacular the serie should have been a huge success if they could put a tekken 7 kind of comeback, DOA6 Ultimate won't do that, we need a new entry with amazing stages go back to the classic DOA 2 / 3 stages, tons of costumes to unlock via solo play or add a battle pass online to unlock new costumes and get rid of over priced DLC, get an option to use Esport Friendly costumes for streams or tournaments, keep the battle mechanics of DOA 6 (lastest patch not vanilla DOA6) but retool the break blow mechanic to add more moves, and please support the game this time, if they put money on the table for the tournaments and do a pro tour that will keep it's relevance, that worked for SF5 until it got good with Arcade Edition, hell we could all agree without Esport the game would have bombed and never recovered.

But can Tecmo pull this ? I'm still pissed off with what happened to Ninja Gaiden 3 and when you look at Dynasty Warrior 9 then DOA 6 you tend to see a pattern, they do a poor job with their established IP, on the other hand new IP such as Nioh are great and baffles me at how inconsistent they are.

Top Bottom