• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead PS3 Power Supply?

I was in the middle of playing MotorStorm: Apocalypse after reading a thread here on NeoGAF today. I had just finished a race (finished 1st!) and decided one race was enough for today, so I quit the game. I went to press the eject button on my PS3 (Launch 60 GB) and noticed there was no light on in the front (green, red, or even the dreaded yellow). I was able to eject the game through the XMB menu and turn of the system. Now, it won't turn back on. I made sure the power was switched on in the back. No response. Nothing. I don't know why I was able to play still, even though the light was off. I'd imagine if the power supply was dead, the system would've just shut down. I should note, that I set my PS3 to do automatic updates, following the recent FW update. Perhaps, something in an update (my PS3 had a quick update when I turned it on today) bricked it. I want to fix my PS3, but my money is going towards PS4 right now. This is terrible timing. I think I might look outside of Sony for a power supply, if that's the problem. I don't want to spend another $150.00. Has anyone had this happen to them, and if so what did you do?

I had my PSU die in my original 60GB and I bought a replacement to fix it. The job was really simple if you find a decent guide online. (iFixit should have something) Make sure to buy the APS-231 which is the cooler version of the PSU and works with the 60GB model. This should lower your temps a little and make your console last a little longer.

I had my PSU die in my original 60GB and I bought a replacement to fix it. The job was really simple if you find a decent guide online. (iFixit should have something) Make sure to buy the APS-231 which is the cooler version of the PSU and works with the 60GB model. This should lower your temps a little and make your console last a little longer.

Thanks for the info. I assumed (when I tried to fix my YLOD years ago) the power supply would be quite easy to fix. I just need to find an affordable one.

Edit- Woah! They are much cheaper than I expected. There is NO way I am sending it into Sony considering I'm moving on to PS4 in just over 3 weeks.

Have you tried resetting the psu? Take the power cord out and swap it with another or leave it off for 10 minutes switched off at the back.

The plug back in & switch on again as it could be a short somewhere and if your green light was out that does sound like it?

Have you tried resetting the psu? Take the power cord out and swap it with another or leave it off for 10 minutes switched off at the back.

The plug back in & switch on again as it could be a short somewhere and if your green light was out that does sound like it?

Thanks for the tip, but I had no luck. I'm going to have to buy a new (used) power supply.

Edit- I bought one for $18.00.

Edit 2- Now I'm really worried. Before I purchased the power supply online, all the articles/stories I saw were about faulty power supplies being the problem (they had the same issues I did), however, now I seem to be getting articles/stories where people are saying it's their motherboards (they also have the same issues I'm having). I seriously hope it's the former and not the latter.

Okay, this is not good. I just read this thread http://community.us.playstation.com...mobo-or-the-power-control-board/td-p/30456110 (last post was in 2010) and I fear my situation is much worse.

Basically, it looks like I could have a possible rare version of YLOD. As it says in the link, to find out if it's PSU failure or possibly YLOD, you can try this technique: Put a disc into the disc drive far enough in to trigger the system on, but pull it out so it doesn't get stuck. If the system turns on, the PSU is working. Unfortunately, that means the motherboard is the problem and that probably means YLOD, but without lights working to signify it. That's exactly what happened for me. I'm holding out hope (fool's hope) that there is some sort of disconnect between the PSU and the motherboard. Apparently the motherboard and disk drive each have their own connection to the PSU.

Here is a post from the thread (I hope this is not the case): "I take it it's a very aggressive form of YLOD, since the system wont even do hardware check, and flash those nasty lights at you. No light at all. Wich leads me to believe it's a large detachment of multiple solder balls underneath the cell. Even though I was careful on every reflow, I could visibly see some flex of the mobo, most likely peeling the chipsets away from the board itself ...."

Sigh.

Sorry for the triple post, but things took a turn for the weird. I don't think I have YLOD (crossing fingers). Everything turns on fine that way. The system boots up to the XMB. I can still play all my games (I will not let a disk go fully in just yet). I'm thinking now the front buttons may be faulty somehow. If I had YLOD, I would not be able to boot to the XMB like I could. That is a relief!

Top Bottom