• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 demo up on Xbox One

Heysoos

Oh, okay. So what the fuck is the point of the time limit? How fucking dumb. One of my favorite things about XBLA was the required demo, seems like Microsoft just went backwards on so many different things.

kmg90

Demo DRM wow... Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot wherever they can it's not even Full game demo like Sony was doing with PS3 and PS+'s 1-hour full game trial's at least they allow you to play the ACTUAL game and not some sliced off section of the game.

I hope this doesn't become a trend

V0b17zU.gif

Oh, okay. So what the fuck is the point of the time limit? How fucking dumb. One of my favorite things about XBLA was the required demo, seems like Microsoft just went backwards on so many different things.

While I agree on the XBLA demos being great, I don't believe they ever had a demo requirement for Games on Demand, which is what this is.

Satchel

Banned
The 2 session, 20 minute things seems stupid.

They should have just done a Crackdown. Full game limited to an hour or half an hour.

So what the fuck is the point of the time limit?
I'm sure Capcom's fear is that without the limit, it would be "good enough" for enough users that they would continue to play the demo for hours and hours without ever buying the full game. Other open world game demos, like Just Cause 2, had similar time limits.

I remember that Rockstar had the Table Tennis demo delisted because it was so complete there was no incentive to buy the final game. The only thing companies fear as much as a bad demo is a demo that is so satisfying you don't need to play the full game.

kmg90

I'm sure Capcom's fear is that without the limit, it would be "good enough" for enough users that they would continue to play the demo for hours and hours without ever buying the full game. Other open world game demos, like Just Cause 2, had similar time limits.

This is mostly on Microsoft as they actually are ones publishing the game none of the demos for the previous DR games had any limit besides reaching a certain point in the game.

I do agree that a demo for an open world game can have some sort of limiting factor that doesn't allow unlimited play time for SINGLE SESSION but having limited number of number plays for a timed demo is shitty...

The Dead Rising 3 demo is not a demo as it's section of the game environment with free reign for 20 minutes but can only be played twice... It's more like a Frankenstein demo-trial as it has limited use before it's unplayable completely.

This should be in the OP (and maybe the title)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Demo DRM wow... Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot wherever they can it's not even Full game demo like Sony was doing with PS3 and PS+'s 1-hour full game trial's at least they allow you to play the ACTUAL game and not some sliced off section of the game.

I hope this doesn't become a trend

Trend? Nintendo are the forefathers of the demo limits. Not as short as 2 uses, but 20 minutes each is a sizeable amount of time.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Just Cause 2 implimented something similar, a timed demo within a short area, which I loved playing through at least 3 or 4 times before the game came out.

Lastly, the Dead Rising 1 demo was short as fuck and as soon as you hit some invisible wall, it triggered the end of the demo. Must have replayed it 5 times until I bought the game.

sangreal

This is mostly on Microsoft as they actually are ones publishing the game none of the demos for the previous DR games had any limit besides reaching a certain point in the game.

The original Dead Rising demo had a 15 minute time limit

No playcount limit though. I probably put more time into that demo than most games I bought

You're like the Fox news of videogames lies ^_^

Demo's for previous DR games? You mean the demo for the 1st one, since that's the only one that had a demo? Coz that had a time limit.

..unless you're counting the 2 mini XBLA games too, lol.

Top Bottom