• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Wii official site opens

Himuro said:
The problem is not the wii version. The problem is how will this effect DR2? If they want to dumb it down for the wii version, fine. But guess what? That also tells us that Capcom feels the original game was too hard, why not make the sequel less difficult as well? They've done this before, with Devil May Cry 2. Why not do it again? Oh wait, they did it AGAIN with Devil May Cry 4! Why not do it for Dead Rising 2?

Most of us don't give a shit if the wii gets Dead Rising. We're worried about the sequel. Since Capcom opted to remove one of the features we loved the most about the original, but was easily the most complained about feature by pussy gamers, why shouldn't Capcom take it out of the sequel?

The wii version could be indicative of the direction Capcom takes Dead Rising 2, hence the hate.

soo preemptive bitching?

Haunted

domokunrox said:
Some of those screenshots in the 1 page. Are those Wii screenshots?
Yes.
some are apparently depicting cutscenes which are made with the 360 engine. Think RE4 PS2/AitD Wii

I think it looks good.

c20080719_01_deadrising_08_cs1w1_640x480.jpg
c20080719_01_deadrising_04_cs1w1_640x480.jpg

Scrubking

2679500587_8e88d90571_o.jpg

2680320886_a8b80744c5_o.jpg

Again these are just to see what is actually going on in the pics because the originals are so dark. I see ~30 zombies in the first pic.

besada

Banned
I'd like to see the courtyard. There's no way they can implement the really scary bits in the tunnels, but I'm wondering what the courtyard is going to look like.

Looks nice, considering. What'd make me stand up and take notice is Capcom announcing WiiMotion + support. THAT would be amazing.

And stop being a tool Himu.

J-Rock

Banned
Looking good. Obviously unfinished in parts but Capcom knows how to polish the hell out of a game so I'm not worried. I'm happy that Capcom is even bringing this to the Wii.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That looks good in my opinion. I think I'll buy this. I've wanted the 360 version for a while though, but I'll wait to see how this turns out.

agrajag

Banned
Haunted One said:
Wow, the models and everything else look damn good.

Now this screen worries me. Run a couple steps to the right and you're all alone, either the zombies follow you quicker or it really will be easier to get out of a mob and a breather... I dunno.

If you look into the background, there is a shitload of zombies there. There are probably some zombies to the right as well, just outside of the camera's view.

Yaweee

agrajag said:
If you look into the background, there is a shitload of zombies there. There are probably some zombies to the right as well, just outside of the camera's view.

And that's kind of the advantage of the closer camera positioning; as far as gameplay is concerned, you're surrounded by zombies, but everything outside of your cone-of-sight doesn't need to use up much processing power. Sometimes, the game will feel roughly the same, while at others it will be noticeably sparser.

I hope there isn't much 'Zombie pop-up'.

nightside

I'm still puzzled by this choise. DR was the last title I expected Capcom to port to wii, really.

Would be awesome if motion plus will be supported...

Arde5643

nightside said:
I'm still puzzled by this choise. DR was the last title I expected Capcom to port to wii, really.

What will they do with motion plus though? There weren't really any intricate melee attacks in the game.

kinggroin

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
It's a port...would you've double-dipped otherwise? I don't get all the bitching over a port tbh.

As a straight port, it wouldn't be worth my time. However, the changes that seem to be made to the system ALSO, don't make it worth my time.

I'd have double dipped had this simply included new missions, weapons and locales. Really.

Dragona Akehi said:
Looks nice, considering. What'd make me stand up and take notice is Capcom announcing WiiMotion + support. THAT would be amazing.

3rd parties didn't have a clue that thing existed until Monday, or so I heard. So... not likely.

Arde5643

kinggroin said:
As a straight port, it wouldn't be worth my time. However, the changes that seem to be made to the system ALSO, don't make it worth my time.

I'd have double dipped had this simply included new missions, weapons and locales. Really.
Did you double-dip for RE4 PS2 for the extras?

Capcom will probably include some new extras for the Wii at lower price to snag some of the 360 owners.

Arde5643 said:
What will they do with motion plus though? There weren't really any intricate melee attacks in the game.

Since everything else is being reworked, so can this. Can you imagine swinging a bat/chainsaw/katana/park bench at a swarm of zombies 1:1? That would rule.

Pureauthor said:
3rd parties didn't have a clue that thing existed until Monday, or so I heard. So... not likely.

A woman can dream. Besides it's not due out till later this year. It's kinda like Mad World, where the game's appeal will skyrocket with WiiMotion+ support.

duckroll said:
You know, I'm a huge fan of Dead Rising, and I don't really see any problem with this port at all. I think any rational person will know that graphically it will not look as good, and the zombies will be greatly reduced, there's no running away from that. The fact that they're changing the controls, the camera, and the game progression system indicates that they're simply looking to transplant the experience onto the Wii, not recreate the exact same game on it.
I only see one "problem" and it's in relation to the lower number of zombies on screen. Which means racing through the garage and hitting as many as possible will likely be different. If that's even a "problem".

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dragona Akehi said:
Since everything else is being reworked, so can this. Can you imagine swinging a bat/chainsaw/katana/park bench at a swarm of zombies 1:1? That would rule.
It might rule. I'm still not convinced that swinging your arms around at stuff is all that fun. It's actually similar to moving an analog stick around to attack stuff, really (though certainly better than that). Without any feedback, it really doesn't work.

No More Heroes is probably the best example of integrating motion into combat in that the combat is still button driven but uses motions to finish the job. I actually think 1:1 beam saber combat would have resulted in an inferior game.

It sounds cool and everyone thinks they want it, but I just don't think it would work well. All of the "swing your arms" style things on the Wii thus far involve objects that just follow through. When you swing a tennis racket, for instance, you follow through in both real life and on the Wii. They use a small rumble to give the impression of hitting the ball, but that ball would never stop your swing. Same deal with a baseball bat or a golf club. Heck, that wood cutting Wii Sports game coming out also uses follow through.

The physics based combat of Dead Rising does not seem like a good candidate for 1:1 motion combat.

No6

Dragona Akehi said:
From looking at the shots I'm wondering where the benches (and every other item) actually are. The mall was completely littered with things to pick up/throw/eat/blend into a delicious shake.

And I'm guessing zombie walking is right out.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
There a ton of zombies (easily 30+) in some of the screens, so, looks like they didn't drop the ball there. Awesome stuff.

later

Dragona Akehi said:

A woman can dream. Besides it's not due out till later this year. It's kinda like Mad World, where the game's appeal will skyrocket with WiiMotion+ support.

Wii motion plus won't be released till march next year.. Unless they proactively add support for it, that would be awesome as it would give you a reason to play again when the attachment comes out.

kinggroin

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Did you double-dip for RE4 PS2 for the extras?

Capcom will probably include some new extras for the Wii at lower price to snag some of the 360 owners.

You looking for a witch or somethin'?

Get off my dick.

And no, I was able to have my cake and eat it too with RE4 Wii.

dark10x said:
It might rule. I'm still not convinced that swinging your arms around at stuff is all that fun. It's actually similar to moving an analog stick around to attack stuff, really (though certainly better than that). Without any feedback, it really doesn't work.

No More Heroes is probably the best example of integrating motion into combat in that the combat is still button driven but uses motions to finish the job. I actually think 1:1 beam saber combat would have resulted in an inferior game.

It sounds cool and everyone thinks they want it, but I just don't think it would work well. All of the "swing your arms" style things on the Wii thus far involve objects that just follow through. When you swing a tennis racket, for instance, you follow through in both real life and on the Wii. They use a small rumble to give the impression of hitting the ball, but that ball would never stop your swing. Same deal with a baseball bat or a golf club. Heck, that wood cutting Wii Sports game coming out also uses follow through.

The physics based combat of Dead Rising does not seem like a good candidate for 1:1 motion combat.

Blah blah blah. We know. Thing is, the whole anti 1:1 brigade keeps harping on the follow through thing. Guess what? The easiest thing is the solution: you simply PUNISH the player for not paying attention. If your sword/whatever gets stuck from a block and you continue being a spaz, you get punished. We already do this in games (like don't attack a boss unless x happens or boom). It's quite easy to train players to do this.

Arde5643

kinggroin said:
You looking for a witch or somethin'?

Get off my dick.

And no, I was able to have my cake and eat it too with RE4 Wii.
Uh dude, no need to take offense - I was just seriously asking if you actually also bought the GC RE4 as well as the PS2 RE4 when it was released for the extras.

That's it.

I was just trying to equate Cap-port's PS2 RE4 to Dead Rising Wii - basically, they're hoping that if people who already have GC RE4 bought PS2 RE4 for the extras, then they might also get people to buy Wii Dead Rising for the extras.

kinggroin

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Uh dude, no need to take offense - I was just seriously asking if you actually also bought the GC RE4 as well as the PS2 RE4 when it was released for the extras.

That's it.

I was just trying to equate Cap-port's PS2 RE4 to Dead Rising Wii - basically, they're hoping that if people who already have GC RE4 bought PS2 RE4 for the extras, then they might also get people to buy Wii Dead Rising for the extras.

Ok. Between Himuro's BS and the Ninty fanboys, I can't tell who's being genuine or not.

My apologies.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Call me weaksauce or whatever I don't care I didnt like the save system on the 360 version. So the Wii version is an automatic day 1 purchase for me.

Arde5643

ZombieSupaStar said:
dead rising is good

more dead rising is better

more people buying dead rising to make capcom make more dead rising is best.

.... dead rising!
* Dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead .... DEAD RISING!!.....dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead ... DEAD RISING!! ... dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead ... BATMA...uh...RISING!!!!

*Sing to the tune of Batman's Adam West series

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Dragona Akehi said:
Blah blah blah. We know. Thing is, the whole anti 1:1 brigade keeps harping on the follow through thing. Guess what? The easiest thing is the solution: you simply PUNISH the player for not paying attention. If your sword/whatever gets stuck from a block and you continue being a spaz, you get punished. We already do this in games (like don't attack a boss unless x happens or boom). It's quite easy to train players to do this.

Not to mention the fact that 1:1 motion controls would still be miles better in terms of realism and fun than mashing buttons. Sure, you could have force feedback that prevents you from going too far, but that's just not possible right now, plus I can see how that could cause health problems.

It looks like you can just run through most parts of the game now with out even touching a zombie... can't wait to see what the tunnels look like. :|

Days like these... said:
Call me weaksauce or whatever I don't care I didnt like the save system on the 360 version. So the Wii version is an automatic day 1 purchase for me.
Same here (except not having a 360 was also a contributing factor). Looks really good actually, so with RE4 and RE:UC looks like I'll be 3 for 3 with Capcom's zombie "tests".

dark10x

Dragona Akehi said:
OK, fair enough, if that excites you, so be it. It's not just the fact that it doesn't work well, really, it simply doesn't seem like fun to me. That's opinion, however, and it's not a popular one, so whatever. I'm just rambling again.

dark10x said:
OK, fair enough, if that excites you, so be it. It's not just the fact that it doesn't work well, really, it simply doesn't seem like fun to me. That's opinion, however, and it's not a popular one, so whatever. I'm just rambling again.

Because of Wii and DS I have games like Trauma Centre. I'm much happier in a world with TC.

Haunted

dark10x said:
You're always so negative in Wii threads.

sad face :(

jrricky

Banned
nightside said:

Thats the thing ive been wondering. Nintendo has announced the release date of motionplus for the US but what about Japan and Europe. I expect japan to get it first so japanese developers should probably have it already...

dark10x

Haunted One said:
You're always so negative in Wii threads.

sad face :(
Well, I tend to become positive when I have a positive experience with something. When I walk out of a movie that blew me away, for instance, I'm going to naturally become inerested in the director and other things surrounding the film. Same deal with a game. When a machine and its software delivers experiences that completely blow me away, I'm going to be very positive about the future.

The Wii really hasn't done anything for me. In the few cases where I DID really enjoy a game on the Wii, I couldn't shake the feeling that it would have been better in HD or something. :p That's pretty much it. If the Wii had left a positive impression on me, I wouldn't be so skeptical about it all the time. I don't hate it, but I don't really get it either.

Because of Wii and DS I have games like Trauma Centre. I'm much happier in a world with TC.
Heh, I actually hate that game. I know it's totally over the top and fake, but I'm also a hypochondriac of sorts. I can't STAND the whole genre of "medical entertainment" (TV shows, games, etc) that has become popular lately for just that reason. I don't even want to think about it. :D

dark10x said:
pick up, say a pipe.

swing it through the air as hard as humanly possible.

now do that again and again except get a friend to stand facing you also with a pipe.

at random have him swing that pipe into your pipe as hard as is humanly possible without pulling out of the swing.

here is what will happen. it will hurt both of you like fuck. you will probably drop the pipes. you might break bones in your hands.

if you were really fighting with pipes and they were about to clash at full speed you would either A: react and save your wrist and keep a hold of your pipe. or B: not react and be pretty fucked.

but all the same, dead rising would be a great candidate for 1:1 motion control with weapons because... zombies don't block. and if you're swinging a sword into a zombie in the game, it slices them in two.

besada

Banned
plagiarize said:
zombies don't block. and if you're swinging a sword into a zombie in the game, it slices them in two.

Excellent points. Most of the weapons in the game pass through without resistance. Sword, battleaxe, katana, lead pipe, baseball bat, etc.

I can't wait to see the motion for Frank's fancy scythe attack, though.

Top Bottom