• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
kyo_daikun said:
Female lead character confirmed? That is definetly not Isaac and im pretty sure the chest is jutting out a bit, also the legs look feminine.

That would have been awesome. But yeah, Isaac's new armor looks goddamn badass.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We've already seen that Nicole
was too much of a pussy, otherwise a game from her perspective would have been nice

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't wait to see the blowout in Game Informer. Dead Space is probably my favorite new IP of the generation.

KAOz

Short bus special
YES!

Just to hope they can beat something as awesome as Ishimura really. I mean, it was badass exploring this huge, empty spaceship. But, I find it hard to belive they really can. Simply because setting it on a planet would be kind of "boring" (if you know what I mean :p), but placing it on another ship again would probably feel repetive. Really hoping they are outdoing themselves though.

And, praying that they don't go an action-packed route. If anything, I would love if they took more from the old Silent Hill games, and less Resident Evil. Because to be fair, the monsterdesigns wasn't scary at all, and neither is shockmoments. The atmosphere, and tenseness when enemies wheren't around was what made the game what it is. Specially mixed with the locale.

Keeping my fingers crossed for this one!

Pctx said:
The armor looks more sexy for reason.... rumors are circulating that Isaac will have add-ons this go round to his actual armor which... if true.... we would be pretty bad ass.
That would be pretty cool. Aesthetic armor upgrades and choices to add some of the guns to your armor akin to Iron Man or War Machine. Like on your shoulders or forearms. :lol

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
i dont like the new design - it looks cool and all... and would be great in a manga, but the world in DS1 was not neon genisis e. like... i like the raw and more mechanikal looking DS1 design more... hes a god damn engineer

but thats just concept art, maybe it will change

Truant

Armor looks awesome, but it hope this doesn't transform too much into an action game, at least relative to the first one. I like the feeling of vulnerability and progress in these types of games.

I also hope they beef up the RPG elements.

Loved Dead Space, best horror game in years IMO, looking forward to DS2 without a doubt.
I like the new armor design, looks really badass.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hopefully Extraction has a good deal to do with DS2. It had some awesome story points.

Dascu

EatChildren said:
Hopefully Extraction has a good deal to do with DS2. It had some awesome story points.
It would be nice if you could play as one of the DS:E characters in a hypothetical co-op mode in DS2.

Dascu said:
It would be nice if you could play as one of the DS:E characters in a hypothetical co-op mode in DS2.

It dosn't even have to be co-op to give us a choice/option before the game starts at a character select screen. I'd rather they do that than put in co-op. That strengthens the replay value hundred fold.

Truant

codecow said:
It's done when it's good? :)

Can you say anything? Does it stay true to the original, or are you going the full-on action, super-linear cash-in sequel route? I enjoyed both games a lot, but the slower paced DS1 was just so amazing.

Truant

TTP said:
On that, I hope they ditch the linear progression formula for a more Metroid-ish approach.

More open ended would be nice, but I can live with the same system as the original as long as they don't dumb it down any more.

TTP said:
On that, I hope they ditch the linear progression formula for a more Metroid-ish approach.

Or at least the old RE formula.One big place to explore full of puzzles and locked doors with strange shaped locks and keys.

Lord Phol

Löööved the first one, probably the only horror game I've managed to beat.
It's one of my favorite this-gen games, everything from how the HUD is integrated with the actual gameworld to the atmosphere, story and originality. Just felt so fresh.
IMO we need more games like this.

Glad to se there's a sequel in progress, but I doubt it'll have as much of an impact on me as the first one did.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Revelations said:
It dosn't even have to be co-op to give us a choice/option before the game starts at a character select screen. I'd rather they do that than put in co-op. That strengthens the replay value hundred fold.

Talking about co-op, I'm not sure if it's technically possible but It would be cool to have not just the other player voice coming via chat but also the sound effects relative to the action he is involved with when not in the same area as yours.

Remember the movie Aliens? The marines chatter mixed with gunshots and aliens' screams when the shit hits the fan? How cool would it be for one player to actually hear environment screams and such coming from the other player session via chat channel? Something like this:

Player 1: "I'm close to the power generator. Get ready to call the elevator."
Player 2: "Ok, be quick tho. Something is not right here."
Player 1: "No worries. I'm almost there"
Player 2: "Oh shit!"
Player 1: "What's up?"
Player 2: RATATATATATA! AAAARHGH!
Player 1: "Hey! What's going on?"
Player 2: RATATATATATA! BOOM! "They are coming out from the fucking walls!" AAARGH! RATATATATA! "Oh my god! They are EVERYWHERE!!" BOOOM! RATATATATA!
Player 1: Hang on!

etc

Add to that

- voice chat coming from main speakers when players are close to each other (in the same room)
- a PIP showing black and white low res video feed from other player 1st person view.

And you get the perfect horror sci-fi co-op experience. :)

Of course this rises a huge problem as far as single player design is concerned. One way to get around it is to create co-op specific missions.

TTP said:
Talking about co-op, I'm not sure if it's technically possible but It would be cool to have not just the other player voice coming via chat but also the sound effects relative to the action he is involved with when not in the same area as yours.

Remember the movie Aliens? The marines chatter mixed with gunshots and aliens' screams when the shit hits the fan? How cool would it be for one player to actually hear environment screams and such coming from the other player session via chat channel? Something like this:

Player 2: RATATATATATA! BOOM! "They are coming out from the fucking walls!" AAARGH! RATATATATA! "Oh my god! They are EVERYWHERE!!" BOOOM! RATATATATA!

etc

Add to that

- voice chat coming from main speakers when players are close to each other (in the same room)
- a PIP showing black and white low res video feed from other player 1st person view.

And you get the perfect horror sci-fi co-op experience. :)
when i lived in a shared house we used to play AvP Skirmish mode with a bunch of PCs in seperate rooms. it was amazing. you'd hear the screaming and the gunfire from above you or next to you. so scary. so awesome.

i got the same experience from Doom 3 on Xbox. hell it's the only reason i played Doom 3 on Xbox.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
plagiarize said:
so scary. so awesome.

Indeed. Much better than stuff like

Player 1: Hey, what's going on? Pull the lever man!
Player 2: Gimme a sec. I'm fighting monsters here.
Player 1: Oh sorry. Take your time.

Does kill the immersion doesn't it?

Replicant

The new armor looks kind of light and sexier but at the same time, it also makes me nervous because I have this false believe that since the armor was thicker the first time around, it means Isaac has better chance to defend himself against those necromorphs.

As for weapons. I wish they'd give us something more effective and fast. The plasma cutter is effective but takes too long to kill something. Or maybe I'm just a nervous wreck when I have to dismember the monsters. Too many things can go wrong.

Minamu said:
I just wish devs would take the idea of coop a bit further instead of just doing the same old.

That's the thing. I think co-op has already been taken as far as it can reasonably go. We've seen which gametypes work best with it. We've seen which gameplay elements work best with it. We really do know where co-op does well and where it's terrible.

Where it works really, really well is arcade-y style action like AvP and L4D. Those are games that require solid teamwork yet still maintain enough design flexibility to afford the players some independence from each other, which means a You Have Died screen is never due to something completely unrelated to the individual player's control.

Where co-op has proven increasingly ineffective and annoying is stuff like RE5 and Gears of War. It doesn't work in RE5 because of the insta-death QTEs, a sluggish control system, lousy AI, the very short window to resus/heal your Near-Death partner on higher difficulties, and above all else, the forced branching paths. Co-op doesn't really work in Gears of War due to bullet-sponge enemies, lousy AI, and forced branching paths on higher difficulties. To be fair, RE5 and Gears of War are still functionally playable. But their gameplay systems still break down at those trouble spots. And all of these issues are examples of gameplay elements beyond the player's individual control.

See, the problem is not that co-op hasn't been explored enough; it's that some developers insist on shoving it into the wrong gameplay types.

What you're looking for is more akin to RE2's Zapping system, where one character's experiences and actions shape another character's game, which is totally fine. It worked extremely well in RE2, even if it was extremely limited to a few items and doors. That's the co-op concept that really should be explored further.

And yes, I share your optimism to an extent. I'd love to see a playable survival horror co-op game. But the logistics of it happening are insane. We have a better chance of RE5's engine being used in REmake with some major gameplay tweaks.

pr0cs

Loved the first game. I hope they put as much effort into the story as they did the first game. (well maybe not as much effort considering the DVD/comic releases etc but at least help me identify with the characters).

I really feel sorry for all those people who panned Dead Space, it really is a great game.

MrHicks

Banned
make the OTHER weapons more useful plz

its a funny thing when the starting weapon is by far the BEST weapon in the game
the plasma cutter's combination of damage/precision/speed/ammo costs(availability) cannot be matched

the other weapons are hardly more useful except on rare occasions

MrHicks said:
make the OTHER weapons more useful plz

its a funny thing when the starting weapon is by far the BEST weapon in the game
the plasma cutter's combination of damage/precision/speed/ammo costs(availability) cannot be matched

the other weapons are hardly more useful except on rare occasions

Thats a negative mister. The plasma repeater and line gun are just as functional for primaries as the plasma cutter.

Endless

-ihd_uMv7z8558rRW1RRhdkUgM7qVpkK

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/12/08/february-cover-revealed.aspx

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
TTP said:

This would blow my mind. It would be like a distant cousin to Super Metroid with that combination of atmosphere and exploration. God. It would be terrifying.

Gotta agree with the folks who want to see it adopt a Metroidvania/Resident Evil type of overall design instead of having a bunch of levels that aren't 100% connected to one another.

Are we going to go through the whole worrying-about-multiplayer cycle that we saw with Uncharted 2? Seriously, it doesn't HAVE to end up like RE5. And like Amirox said, RE5 wasn't flawed because of co-op, it was flawed because it wasn't scary whatsoever and because the set pieces sucked ass compared to RE4. Dead Space 2 doesn't have to turn out that way, and we don't even know what sort of multiplayer there's going to be. I'd be REALLY surprised to see co-op in the main storyline.

Now that I see the suit more closely I don't know wtf is going on there with it. It looks like piece meal from a scrap metal yard.

badcrumble said:
Are we going to go through the whole worrying-about-multiplayer cycle that we saw with Uncharted 2? Seriously, it doesn't HAVE to end up like RE5. And like Amirox said, RE5 wasn't flawed because of co-op, it was flawed because it wasn't scary whatsoever and because the set pieces sucked ass compared to RE4. Dead Space 2 doesn't have to turn out that way, and we don't even know what sort of multiplayer there's going to be. I'd be REALLY surprised to see co-op in the main storyline.

Just don't feel its a game that needs multiplayer to stand out, im fine with soiling my pants on my own. As you say that uncharted 2 didn't really seem like a multiplayer game and people seem to enjoy.

hermit7

Looking at the cover, and it definitely seems to be Isaac. Really looks like an extension to the armors from the first game.

When does the issue come out?

GuessWho said:
I prefer to keep it linear. I don't have time to search for shit. That's what made DS1 so good to me.
You can have a pretty heavily 'directed' metroidvania - where you're being told where to go next, areas open up in a largely linear succession, et cetera. I'd just love it if I could open up access to an entire ship and actually have the freedom to go everywhere by the end of the game - imagine if the tram from Dead Space functioned like the bathysphere in Bioshock, essentially, and if all of the areas of the game were also interconnected so the tram was just a shortcut mechanism.

MoFuzz

Glad they decided to stick with PC for the sequel, keep on fighting the good fight!

Wasn't sure of their intentions after they decided to axe (or scythe, if you will) a PC version of Dante's.

I have only one request for the sequel: It needs to be bigger, better and more badass.

GuessWho said:
I prefer to keep it linear. I don't have time to search for shit. That's what made DS1 so good to me.

Same here. Wandering around a maze of grey corridors would get boring and confusing. Give me a map, tell me what to do, and I'll get that shit done somehow.

Rikyfree

I don't like what part of the article said about him being more kickass and stuff. Makes it seem like like they are departing from the horror aspect to go into all out action.

Rolf NB

badcrumble said:
Co-op was a big part of the reason WHY it wasn't scary.

Dascu

MoFuzz said:
Glad they decided to stick with PC for the sequel, keep on fighting the good fight!

Wasn't sure of their intentions after they decided to axe (or scythe, if you will) a PC version of Dante's.

I have only one request for the sequel: It needs to be bigger, better and more badass.
They cancelled it?

Ardorx

Banned
Was RE5 even suppose to be scary? Ive never seen the series as a horror game but I thought it was clear from looking at RE4 that the series was headed in a much more action-oriented direction.

Gilgamesh

TTP said:
This is never how a conversation would go. You'd have to have two people who want to essentially roleplay that they're actually the characters. Realistically you would be getting unrelated discussion, dick jokes, or them giving each other shit for playing poorly. That's the problem with co-op in regards to atmosphere. It ruins it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gilgamesh said:
This is never how a conversation would go. You'd have to have two people who want to essentially roleplay that they're actually the characters. Realistically you would be getting unrelated discussion, dick jokes, or them giving each other shit for playing poorly. That's the problem with co-op in regards to atmosphere. It ruins it.

That was not the point I was making with that example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom