• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Nirolak said:
300000_1015031068069668uwv.jpg
3482cgp.jpg

Fake edit: Quality new page material.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Mar said:
I finally picked this up a couple of weeks ago and have been making my way through. I think I'm just about finished (chapter 13?).

I'm not sure I like it. Besides the raptor like monsters I'm having trouble seeing a difference between it and the first game. To the point where I'm convinced certain sections are carbon copies. While the first game was fantastic, it was never a 'play twice' sort of game for me (which is common for games that I love, DOOM 3 for instance). So playing through Dead Space 2 is like playing a game I've played before and didn't see a need to play again, yet I am.

One of the best aspects of this series is the sound design. Yet in DS2 there have been multiple occasions where the sound breaks up when there's a lot going on, which ruins a lot of the atmosphere.

I thought I was finally getting into it when
back in the big ship from the first game
. It had a unique style (Condemned used it to good effect too), but unfortunately soon started doing all the same things that previous levels did, and then the game regressed to the same drab levels of before anyway.

And it's too long. Seriously. I'm 13 hours in and that's a really long time to be walking down linear paths shooting the same guys over and over. The scares are old, none of the tricks work anymore. I honestly think it should have been half the length (but then I feel that way about most games actually. And yes, half the price too).

The game still impresses me. The level of polish is ridiculous and the amount of work involved must have been massive. I have the utmost respect for the people who created this. But I'm sorry to say that it's just not doing anything for me, and I'm really hoping it ends soon... It just keeps on going!

Just wait... you're about to play the best part! :/

ILOVEASIANS said:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/10/dead-space-3-script-leak-uncovers-some-interesting-new-details/

This sounds pretty awesome. It'd be nice to have something replace the Nicole visions, and "shadow Isaac" would suffice I think.

Ok... this could be very interesting. I love the idea of him being tortured by... a douchey version of himself. Reminds me of the third PoP game a little.

So Isaac has been reduced to less-than-legal work to avoid arrest, huh? Very interesting. And still with Ellie. Awesome.

Loving the sound of this. Heh, it's probably not even the Marker anymore, Isaac is just that fucked up.

Love the basketball image. Ridiculous.

ILOVEASIANS said:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/10/dead-space-3-script-leak-uncovers-some-interesting-new-details/

This sounds pretty awesome. It'd be nice to have something replace the Nicole visions, and "shadow Isaac" would suffice I think.
Noooooooooooooooo

I fucking hated the constant Nicole bullshit in DS2. The more she blathered on the less interesting and suspenseful it all was. Honestly, she should have never actually spoken at all. The opening scene where she crawls up on the table is terrifying and awesome, but the whole thing starts to lose steam from there. By the last 1/3 of the game it reaches a point of absurdity with all the cheesy rambling and armchair psychology. I kid you not, that shit pretty much killed what replay value the game had for me. I will be pissed if they bog down the next one with anything remotely similar. Christ.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Noooooooooooooooo

I fucking hated the constant Nicole bullshit in DS2. The more she blathered on the less interesting and suspenseful it all was. Honestly, she should have never actually spoken at all. The opening scene where she crawls up on the table is terrifying and awesome, but the whole thing starts to lose steam from there. By the last 1/3 of the game it reaches a point of absurdity with all the cheesy rambling and armchair psychology. I kid you not, that shit pretty much killed what replay value the game had for me. I will be pissed if they bog down the next one with anything remotely similar. Christ.

I liked it, but I can see where you're coming from.

But hopefully this is different, especially is Shadow-Isaac is just a sarcastic prick who keeps bugging the shit out of Isaac instead of a manifestation of the Marker going like "KILL YOURSELF YOU GUILTY BASTARD".

I remain optimistic. I think it'll be neat.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I liked it, but I can see where you're coming from.

But hopefully this is different, especially is Shadow-Isaac is just a sarcastic prick who keeps bugging the shit out of Isaac instead of a manifestation of the Marker going like "KILL YOURSELF YOU GUILTY BASTARD".

I remain optimistic. I think it'll be neat.
Part of what made the original Dead Space stand out to me compared to other games this generation was its minimalist presentation and sense of restraint. Aside from a few NPCs running around the experience is pretty desolate, and even when the the story moves along Issac remains under your control and in a gameplay context. There's never really any specific point where the pace is dragged down by overwrought cutscenes or obnoxious character banter. Then I played Dead Space 2, and realized all those tasteful design choices might have been a fluke.

Needless to say this new rumor doesn't comfort me at all. I guess it's fine for everyone who wants the stereotypical "cinematic experience" this generation of software seems obsessed with, but aren't there enough blockbuster titles that already push that angle? It feels like the one new IP that spoke to me is getting snared in every trap I admired the first game for avoiding.

Not to be a downer or anything, but this news totally bums me out. Here's hoping it's not as pervasive as I'm imagining.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Noooooooooooooooo

I agree with you for the most part here. The beginning of the game was definitely the height of the Nicole creepiness. By the time I got to the
preschool
it lost all its affect on me. I would even melee her during her little speeches out of boredom. But I did enjoy the little moment between her and Isaac after
Isaac sets Ellie off on the ship

I have faith in Visceral that they can do something new with "Shadow Isaac," if that turns out to be true.

ILOVEASIANS said:
I agree with you for the most part here. The beginning of the game was definitely the height of the Nicole creepiness. By the time I got to the
preschool
it lost all its affect on me. I would even melee her during her little speeches out of boredom. But I did enjoy the little moment between her and Isaac after
Isaac sets Ellie off on the ship

I have faith in Visceral that they can do something new with "Shadow Isaac," if that turns out to be true.

While I liked the Nicole bits, some more subtlety during them would have been for the better. But I liked them as they were, it was a neat idea. It would have been cool if you try to go hit the hallucination and it warped somewhere else in the environment.

Mar

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Noooooooooooooooo

Agreed. The first time she popped up it was fantastic. But as she continued to appear and chat away the tension was all gone and the effect just didn't work anymore. Soon, her flashlight eyes just looked silly.

It's not just her though that this occurred. I felt the whole game outlived it's welcome and was twice as long as it should have been. I was utterly tired of the monsters and environments and desperately just wanted the game to end. Either invent new tricks or let the already used tricks die a dignified death.

I didn't like this game much. Here's hoping they try to come up with something cool for the third game. I really couldn't go through another clone of the first.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Noooooooooooooooo

This sounds a lot better. The other Isaac isn't trying to kill you, he's just someone who is saying what Isaac wants to say but feels he can't/he feels obligated to help when he knows he should get the fuck out of dodge.

Should make for some epic exchanges, if done right.

I had an awesome Dead Space 2 moment last night. We know from the outset of this game that Isaac is losing it and seeing things. I'm in Chapter 6, just after a lengthy enemy encounter. I'm in an elevator, having a weird conversation with that crazy guy (can't think of his name).

The elevator door stops and opens to... empty space. Nothing but stars. The elevator button is active; I could go back up and see what happens, but I think hey! Cool insanity effect. Then I walk out and fall to my eventual death. My checkpoint reloads.

Next time: the elevator opens into a normal room. The whole thing was just a glitch. So far, it's been the coolest moment of the game.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
catapult37 said:
I had an awesome Dead Space 2 moment last night. We know from the outset of this game that Isaac is losing it and seeing things. I'm in Chapter 6, just after a lengthy enemy encounter. I'm in an elevator, having a weird conversation with that crazy guy (can't think of his name).

The elevator door stops and opens to... empty space. Nothing but stars. The elevator button is active; I could go back up and see what happens, but I think hey! Cool insanity effect. Then I walk out and fall to my eventual death. My checkpoint reloads.

Next time: the elevator opens into a normal room. The whole thing was just a glitch. So far, it's been the coolest moment of the game.

OR WAS IT?!

catapult37 said:

313k9rd.jpg

That does sound pretty neat.

nel e nel

I can see how it doesn't resonate with some folks. It is a hardcore genre game, and has so many classic/overused sci-fi/horror tropes that for some it may come across as derivative.

For me, however, it was FREAKING AWESOME! I love all those late 70s-80s sci-fi horror films, and I see the franchise more as paying homage to that genre. I felt like it was tailor made for my tastes. I loved DS1, and thought that DS2 was just a huge jump in quality. Sure, it lacked the isolation of the first game, but you're on a sprawling space station, not a damaged ship out in the void. It's the Aliens to DS1's Alien.

I'm pretty much guaranteed to get DS3 day one, but it won't keep me from rampantly speculating: the details so far suggest it could go back to the more isolated feel of the first game, but with the added psychosis of Isaac fighting with himself. And possibly substituting darkness with white-outs.

Storywise I kinda hope that they
do something to dovetail Isaac's and Lexine's storylines since the Church is deeply invested in both of them and apparently are on the hunt for them.

slider

I haven't even started this even though I've had it since launch. C'mon slider you lazy bum.

Mind you I didn't finish the first. Hmm. Is it ok just to dive into the sequel and leave the first one unfinished? I mean does it matter story wise? (I never got anywhere near far enough in the first one to start paying attention to any "story".)

cbox

Bought the LCE and it's sitting installed on my pc. I don't know why i haven't played it yet, maybe before Halloween. The first game was in my top 5.

slider said:
I haven't even started this even though I've had it since launch. C'mon slider you lazy bum.

Mind you I didn't finish the first. Hmm. Is it ok just to dive into the sequel and leave the first one unfinished? I mean does it matter story wise? (I never got anywhere near far enough in the first one to start paying attention to any "story".)

Eh...I don't play games for the stories. I have next to no clue what happened in Dead Space 1 or 2. That said, I LOVED both of them. So, in my opinion, no...you don't need to finish part 1 to enjoy part 2.

Luthos

Grisby said:
Still one of the best games this year for me. Top 5 definitely.
Agreed. But if it hasn't already been forgotten by most people, it will when this slew of big-name games come rolling in here soon.

senador

Banned
Luthos said:
Agreed. But if it hasn't already been forgotten by most people, it will when this slew of big-name games come rolling in here soon.

Maybe. I for one can't wait to replay it though. I think I'll hit it again after Christmas. Man it was such a fun action packed freaky game.

Minamu

Well, it doesn't suck, that's for sure :) Overhyped myself but that's not the fault of the devs or the media, or even the game, tbh.

Looking to start this game up tonight. I played through the first DS and only used the plasma cutter and had a blast. Is that gonna fly this go round?

AwakenedCloud said:
Looking to start this game up tonight. I played through the first DS and only used the plasma cutter and had a blast. Is that gonna fly this go round?

I'm pretty sure it's more than doable. Though the Javelin Gun is sweet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
AwakenedCloud said:

Yeah its easily possible, i've done it in-fact. If you only use one weapon you get waaaay too much ammo for it because that's all the enemies drop besides money, so it's kind of easier if you specialize one weapon.

senador

Banned
AwakenedCloud said:

I did the first DS this way too to snag the achievement. I also found it easier only managing 1 gun and having more ammo dropped for it.

chandoog said:
Yeah its easily possible, i've done it in-fact. If you only use one weapon you get waaaay too much ammo for it because that's all the enemies drop besides money, so it's kind of easier if you specialize one weapon.

I started DS2 wanting more variety and tried additional guns. I eventually got stuck because I had no money and no ammo. I went back a few saves and just went forward with the plasma cutter. I found it much easier to just use 1 gun, and just like the above quote, more ammo is dropped. I think I used the line gun here and there but I ditched everything else.

Thanks guys, I'm on chapter 5 on survivor and the Plasma Cutter is working wonders! I went ahead a maxed its strength, the only enemies that have given me trouble are the mini-spider things and the ones that were afraid of light.

Currently on either chapter 11 or 12, hopefully I can finish this game tonight. I've loved every moment so far, but the twist where
Isaac kills Stross the moment he meet him again, especially since he wasn't in any real danger. I mean, Ellie even sacrificed an eye and still put up with the dude since Isaac said to keep him around
. Aside from that oddity, everything has been a blast.

Ken

Thought about picking up Dead Space 2 on Steam while it's cheap, but I already have it and beaten it and Severed on the 360.

Not a whole lot of reasons to double dip on the PC besides graphics and convenience though, right?

Gvaz

Banned
Ken said:
Thought about picking up Dead Space 2 on Steam while it's cheap, but I already have it and beaten it and Severed on the 360.

Not a whole lot of reasons to double dip on the PC besides graphics and convenience though, right?
That's all the reason you need.

Kevtones

Finally getting around to playing this...

Holy fuck, just did the train survival sequence. Exceptional game so far. It just exudes cool.

LQX

Just finished it today. Fucking brilliant game and long. By chapter 10 I was telling myself I have to be close to the end so let me play for another hour or two then the chapters kept coming but I loved it.

All the weapons are again great but it really sucks you are almost forced to just pick one or two and stick with them until the end being that you have the most nodes in them.

Again I really liked this game. It gives me memories of PC gaming from the early 2000's being that it was so satisfying and eye pleasing. Will be interesting to see if gets a sequel and where they take it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
U n i o n 0015 said:
LTTP:

I actually bought DS2 on Day 1 but haven't played it until this week. Just finished it on Normal difficulty.

My feelings are mixed, especially after hearing so much praise in the press and in this thread. My initial conclusion is that the first is actually a slightly better game.

I think DS works best when it creates tension and places you in battles with a one or a few enemies. There were times, especially in the last chapters, where you're just absolutely swarmed with enemies. It requires Halo levels of coordination to handle, but the handling and inherent perspective of DS don't give you Halo speed to deal with it.

There's also a lot of frustrating instanta deaths, like scenes that suddenly went to cutscene but it was unclear to me as a player what to do. I felt these were much more distinct in the first one, and that in the goal of seamless presentation, they muddied the waters a bit. I died instantly in the last battle simply because I thought I had vaporized the boss, but it turns out there is a more distinct vaporization on your second shot. Well, how about not making it seem like my first shot had killed the boss? Make the effect more distinct or just plain get rid of it.

Story-wise, it felt the whole first half was filler; I was going from location to location just following a marker. At least in the first one, each chapter had a goal--you felt that every one was vital to your survival or to save the Ishimura, but in 2, the goal would span several chapters and you're pushed out of the story because of that.

Overall, really great game, though. I'm going to attempt Hard Core difficulty but I don't know how I'm going to do it. I didn't die during some of the infamous scene (got the Eye Poke on my first attempt), but I died a lot when enemies would just spawn behind me or clusterf**k me.

I'd say it's 10% less of what the first game was.

I also have had the game since Day 1, but only just started playing myself. Only up to Chapter 3 or 4 so far, but many of my initial feelings and complaints mirror exactly what this and several other recent impressions have said so far.

Just not really finding the plot progression compelling yet, and the 'space station' has yet to build a unique identity that differs from the Ishimura in the first game. I'm still early in, but already I am getting deja vu from each location and encounter. My actual play sessions are becoming noticeably shorter due to lacking suspense or variety. Just hoping it picks up soon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, as this thread lacks a horrendously inaccurate title, it is probably the best place to keep putting small, but not thread worthy updates for what Visceral is doing.

1.) They have moved from having five studios down to having three. Their 21 person Australian studio was shut down, and Visceral Los Angeles as mysteriously disappeared while BioWare Los Angeles has mysteriously appeared with a new game that sounds very similar to what we thought Visceral Los Angeles (the remains of Pandemic) were making, but changed into a new IP.

2.) Despite this, they still seem to working on at least one new IP. Job postings in both Visceral Redwood Shores and Visceral Montreal mention new IPs, but I can't tell if they're the same game or not. The new IP (or at least one of them) is some kind of shooter.

Nirolak said:
Well, as this thread lacks a horrendously inaccurate title, it is probably the best place to keep putting small, but not thread worthy updates for what Visceral is doing.

1.) They have moved from having five studios down to having three. Their 21 person Australian studio was shut down, and Visceral Los Angeles as mysteriously disappeared while BioWare Los Angeles has mysteriously appeared with a new game that sounds very similar to what we thought Visceral Los Angeles (the remains of Pandemic) were making, but changed into a new IP.

2.) Despite this, they still seem to working on at least one new IP. Job postings in both Visceral Redwood Shores and Visceral Montreal mention new IPs, but I can't tell if they're the same game or not. The new IP (or at least one of them) is some kind of shooter.

What happened to the grand five studio plan?

I'm pretty sure Ripper has ceased to exist.

teiresias

I have a question.

I bought the Dead Space pack on Steam during the Halloween sale (or whatever it was a few weeks back) even though I already owned the first game for PS3. Did that pack include a bunch of unlocked stuff, because when I get to the first store kiosk in Chapter 1 it looks like freaking everything in the game is available to buy pretty much for free. I'm staring at this screen wondering which freaking suit I should buy, haha!!!

So, should I go with the plain Engineering Suit (walkthroughs seem to indicate that's normally the only option you have at that point)? I'm just worried some of the other suits may affect the game difficulty too much since it's my first playthrough. I plan to only use the plasma cutter, btw.

Minamu

There was a glitch where suits would disappear I think, and they hot fixed it by making everything available for purchase from the start instead. Not the most beautiful solution maybe, but it worked as a last resort. So yeah, using end game suits from the start would most likely be detrimental too your experience.

ajim

They ran out of interesting gameplay ideas and these last two chapters are just stupid. Throw everything at you... plus this thing that you can't kill, all while you have to hack panels and doors. That save station, haha yeah... nope. Asshole followed me through the door.
:lol I was ready to throw a grenade at my tv when he did that to me. I was already way on edge and I thought I was safe and them BAM! Fucking dead. I was so pissed off I turned my game off and didn't touch it for a week :lol

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Everytime this thread gets bumped I'm filled with a warm feeling thinking about how much I love this game.

Top Bottom