• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

senador

Banned
Visceral should keep using their own Dead Space engine. DS 1 and 2 are a couple of the best looking HD generation games.

Yes!

Not just good looking on a technical level, but remarkably aesthetically unified. Anything that significantly disturbed the Dead Space 'look' would be a bad idea, IMO (and I mean in the little and big ways that an engine change would - setting changes that give the Dead Space aesthetic new room in which to flower are awesome).

Yes again!

I was late to DS1 and it looked a bit dated but still awesome. I'm sure it was stellar at launch though. Then DS2 comes a long and wow, it looks incredible. Honestly the visuals are what pulled me into these games. I don't like the horror genre in games or movies, but I am a sucker for sci fi, good lighting, and awesome visuals. DS2 is the best looking game on 360 IMO.

Minamu

So I'm just starting this game for the first time (PC), and had two questions:

1. Is there no way to bind the right mouse button to toggle the weapon, like there was in the first game? That way I don't have to hold down the button while I shoot.

2. Why are all the weapons free in the first shop in chapter 1? Is this supposed to be this way, or is it a glitch of some sort? There is 18 different weapons and 9 suits available for 0 credits in the shop.
1. No idea. 2. There was a problem with the weapons on pc (they disappeared I think?) and they had to release a patch that enabled them to be purchased. Ignore them if you want to play the game as intended. I'm pretty sure you can still find the weapons in their real spots while playing.

That's part of why I asked the questions.

If they're not building streaming technology to handle it, and they're not switching to an engine that has said technology, chances are very high that they don't intend to go in that direction.
If they're switching to Frostbite 2, surely DS3 will be current gen? Unless they intend to mod it substantially (not that it's ugly or anything), right?

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Yes!

Yes again!

I was late to DS1 and it looked a bit dated but still awesome. I'm sure it was stellar at launch though. Then DS2 comes a long and wow, it looks incredible. Honestly the visuals are what pulled me into these games. I don't like the horror genre in games or movies, but I am a sucker for sci fi, good lighting, and awesome visuals. DS2 is the best looking game on 360 IMO.

Thanks!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If they're switching to Frostbite 2, surely DS3 will be current gen? Unless they intend to mod it substantially (not that it's ugly or anything), right?

Given that Monkey answered questions about the existing engine I think it's pretty clear they intend to keep it for at least one more game. :p

After that we're in the next generation unless they're releasing exclusively on old platforms 1.5+ years after the next consoles release, at which point whatever they're using will have to be heavily modified to the point that it is basically new anyway even if it is based on the same custom in-house engine.

It's just that one of these things takes more work on paper, which along with the resume, started my speculation.

But yes, not only does their current engine look good, but I've heard it is very stable framerate wise on current platforms, which is rare this gen and makes the incentive to switch notably lower from that perspective as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hitting up another topic though, I wonder when they intend to unveil the next game?

Given their ambitions, I have to imagine they want something more notable than a random press release, but they don't fit with the next Game Informer.

Given that EA always unveils their major fiscal year titles before or at E3 (unless something is going wrong, which it certainly doesn't seem to be), I'm thinking either one of the Game Informers prior to June or GDC.

Edit:

Also, lolwut.jpg:

EA Jobs said:
QA Project Lead – Visceral RWS

Ideal Competencies
Online gaming background, including MOBA, FPS, and Free to Play
Source: https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z500000012qKGAAY

Edit 2: For anyone who doesn't know, MOBA's are games like Dota and League of Legends.

It seems like an odd time to try and get into this genre.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Was it a year before release that DS2 was shown/revealed?

Dead Space 2 was shown in January 2010's Game Informer, which shipped to subscribers at the beginning of December 2009.

It was a bit longer than a year, and generally unveil schedules have been getting shorter as the generation goes on, so it being a bit later isn't surprising.

However, EA puts out a list of everything they're releasing in the fiscal year at the end of April/beginning of May, and something as large as Dead Space generally will have a title on it to help indicate sales potential.

So, unless they want to announced the game in a fiscal report, they need to announce it before then.

Minamu

Just about to start the game, any advice before I jump in?
Don't spread your nodes around too much early on. Focus on health, your startup weapon and kinesis etc. You can get maximum kinesis (I think?) by the time you reach the first upgrade station and then you don't need to worry about it ever again.

Don't spread your nodes around too much early on. Focus on health, your startup weapon and kinesis etc. You can get maximum kinesis (I think?) by the time you reach the first upgrade station and then you don't need to worry about it ever again.

Nice, thanks. Is normal difficulty about what it was in DS1?

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
I believe I started DS2 on Hard or the next higher difficulty than normal after beating DS1 on normal and finding it lacked challenge. I had grown bored with the last half of DS1 so I also went to Hard on DS2 as an attempt to keep my interest.

Overall to answer your question, DS2 seems about the same on Hard as DS1 did on normal, except there seems to be less ammo which a stop by the station store generally fixes.

Minamu

Nice, thanks. Is normal difficulty about what it was in DS1?
About the same, or maybe even easier. Stasis and kinesis have been buffed a lot so if you use all functions available, you can probably toy around with a lot of enemies early on. Normal probably won't scare you all that much in that regard.

These guys really are masters of their craft. It's crazy how well designed this game is, from a horror perspective. Perfect points of encounter, just enough time to let your guard down at exactly the wrong moment, and then the expected encounters to let the nerves chill for a bit. Wicked awesome.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
These guys really are masters of their craft. It's crazy how well designed this game is, from a horror perspective. Perfect points of encounter, just enough time to let your guard down at exactly the wrong moment, and then the expected encounters to let the nerves chill for a bit. Wicked awesome.

Did you play the entire game? I thought the same until the very end...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did you play the entire game? I thought the same until the very end...
I feel the ending holds up fine if you have a mouse, since it is much easier to deal with what they did.

I played the first game on the 360 though and I can see why people would really dread that section with a gamepad.

Evolved1

Finished it, on round 2 now. I have no idea what you're referencing, unless you mean the general poopness of the boss battle.

I'm referring to the
invincible enemy that chases you through the last few bits of the game...
wasn't a fan of that, to put it mildly.

gdt

I'm referring to the

Man, I really loved that. Ratcheted up the tension hard. I remember barely clearing out rooms before moving to the next one to escape from him.

I really need to get on my Dead Space replays.

Thorndyke

Neo Member
Brought this on the steam sale. :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Love how it runs so smooth on full resolution, with everything high.

Played it on release on the xbox, but never got around to finishing it. But oh my, I was concerned it would be one of those games that plays better on gamepad, but it is awesome on mouse. I feel a lot more comfortable targeting body parts on the xenomorphs.

On PC means I don't have surround sound which is a bit of dissapointment.

Have you ever played DS1? Plus that particular enemy was the least of my worries.

In DS1 those sections were more like puzzles, and you could 'kill' it in those. It's not the presence of the invincible enemy, it's that in DS2 those sections were markedly worse in terms of game design.

I'm referring to the

Eh, I just contact beam special'd my way through that. I'd imagine it would suck if I hadn't put nodes into the contact beam and the stasis, though.

Mechazawa

While I really appreciate the fact that they decided to patch in DLC suits to the PC version for free...I think they might've done well not to dump 8 free suits and 18 free weapons on you the very first time you enter the store.

At least I look stylin' the very first time I have access to a suit.

I just started the game and so far I'm a little unclear on how to kill enemies. So far I've been explicitly told by an NPC to cut off their limbs, I've read graffiti on the wall telling me to cut off their limbs, and I've listened to an audio log of one guy telling another guy to cut off their limbs...

I just started the game and so far I'm a little unclear on how to kill enemies. So far I've been explicitly told by an NPC to cut off their limbs, I've read graffiti on the wall telling me to cut off their limbs, and I've listened to an audio log of one guy telling another guy to cut off their limbs...

You have to jump on them a-la mario games. l2p

You have to jump on them a-la mario games. l2p
I've tried but I can't find a jump button... Fix your shit Visceral.

Hey have you guys seen the movie Office Space, I found a hilarious easter egg:

DeiQW.jpg

Get it? TPS Report?!!! :lol :lol :lol

highrider

Banned

that's pretty much it. use kinesis and objects in the environment as well to save ammo. use stasis on fast moving enemies. i found the ideal weapon loadout to be plasma cutter, seeker rifle, flamethrower and contact beam. you have the cutter and rifle as precision weapons, the flamethrower for crowd control, and the contact beam as your power weapon.

Apdiddy

I'm referring to the

At least it wasn't
the invincible enemy from Parasite Eve. It chases you AND one hit kills you

So glad they gave Issac a voice in this one. I always wondered what his character would sound like in the first game, had to use my imagination- ugh! But to find out he's a wise cracking smart ass in the face of danger - frankly I was delighted!

Did this game get any GOTY nods for the amazing dialogue/writing? It's now up there with Red Faction Armageddon as my top 2 of the year!

Also just got my 2nd audio log talking about how I need to cut off their limbs, I guess you were right, pickle!

Monkey Pants

You'd be amazed how many people still don't get it. And since the game is quite a bit harder if you just plug the Necros in the chest, those players get really frustrated and quit, saying "I'm always out of ammo!"

More frustrated than players who are rolling their eyes at being told for the 5th time to go for limbs. Also, since people tend to notice different things, we hit you with that tip in all sorts of different ways (audio, environmental, written, etc.)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
triple-dipped on ds2 this steam sale,

Having ds2 on steam > on d2d > disc

:3

Mupod

I am amazed. You'd think that everyone would change their strategy if they notice something doesn't work? :p

I watched my friend play a significant portion of the first game (on the easiest difficulty) by doing bodyshots with the plasma rifle in a college cafeteria with the sound muted. "HAHA THIS GAME ISN'T SCARY"

You'd be amazed how many people still don't get it. And since the game is quite a bit harder if you just plug the Necros in the chest, those players get really frustrated and quit, saying "I'm always out of ammo!"

More frustrated than players who are rolling their eyes at being told for the 5th time to go for limbs. Also, since people tend to notice different things, we hit you with that tip in all sorts of different ways (audio, environmental, written, etc.)
I know, I was just having a bit of fun. I don't envy you guys your task of trying to make games approachable to as many people as possible.

Noticed that Severed is half price, is it worth it at that price? I've heard it's a lot more action oriented compared to the main game and it's relatively short...

Can anyone chime in on if its worth the points?

senador

Banned
Noticed that Severed is half price, is it worth it at that price? I've heard it's a lot more action oriented compared to the main game and it's relatively short...

Can anyone chime in on if its worth the points?

While its nothing special, it does have an "oh shit" moment or two, lots of action, and an interesting ending. Its also more Dead Space if you are wanting some. I paid full price and was OK with it. I'd say go for it.

I played primarily with the plasma cutter through both 1 and 2, and Severed has you playing a different way so that was fun.

It does have you back tracking areas though, and it is short, so there's your cons.

So glad they gave Issac a voice in this one. I always wondered what his character would sound like in the first game, had to use my imagination- ugh! But to find out he's a wise cracking smart ass in the face of danger - frankly I was delighted!

THIS. I figured he'd earned the right to act like a badass after the first game. In addition, I really need to get my shit together and finish this out. I'm *this* close to finishing it, and one of my pals keeps telling me that it's crucially important.

While its nothing special, it does have an "oh shit" moment or two, lots of action, and an interesting ending. Its also more Dead Space if you are wanting some. I paid full price and was OK with it. I'd say go for it.

I played primarily with the plasma cutter through both 1 and 2, and Severed has you playing a different way so that was fun.

It does have you back tracking areas though, and it is short, so there's your cons.

Cheers. It's only 280msp, so I might as well pull the trigger.

Evolved1

I have to say... they really made massive improvements to the zero grav in DS2. It was a highlight of the game.

And there were a few open sections that in hindsight (after Monkey Pants talked a bit about their tech/design) must have been a real challenge, since they were quite a departure from the normal level design.

I hope they do more things like this in future games... because they did find ways to add variety. The
raptor
enemies were pretty incredible.

I didn't particularly enjoy the climax, but the majority of the game was really great. I think one of the best this gen.

don't waste time on MP... it was an interesting idea but it doesn't have any legs.

They should use water somehow... murky water and the unknown is so creepy. The rig allows for travel underwater as well... making your way through a flooded ship compartment might be pretty awesome.

Minamu

Bah, it's not lowered on EU psn :( Can I even buy it from my Swedish PSN when my copy of the game is from the UK? Or use my visa card on the UK store for that matter?

Monkey Pants

And there were a few open sections that in hindsight (after Monkey Pants talked a bit about their tech/design) must have been a real challenge, since they were quite a departure from the normal level design.

The hardest areas were those that were both open and that you could traverse a big section of it and see it from different angles. The worst offenders were:

The main shopping mall on the sprawl where you meet Ellie on the way back, The main chapel of Unitologist Church, and the main room in the mines with the drills working in the background, and the final Marker room.

They still came out looking alright, but we had to cut them down significantly from what we originally had or they just wouldn't run.

Other areas, where you had a playable space and then a huge vista, actually weren't that hard because we knew you couldn't get up to the vista or get to the other side of it.

Evolved1

That's interesting. I'm not qualified to judge (or really appreciate) the tech side of game design. Like most gamers, I only notice when things are running really well, or really bad.

In that regard, DS2 ran really well, pretty much all the time iirc.

And on the gameplay side of things... again, very solid all the way around. There are things you guys do that are top tier. (gameplay/tech/art) DS1&2 were AAA games. Even the
change up at the end,
which I've had negative comments about, I think makes sense... I think I even understand why that was done. It wasn't handled poorly either.
Just was a surprise, and happened to be a gameplay thing I've never quite liked.
Completely subjective.

Minamu

The hardest areas were those that were both open and that you could traverse a big section of it and see it from different angles. The worst offenders were:

The main shopping mall on the sprawl where you meet Ellie on the way back, The main chapel of Unitologist Church, and the main room in the mines with the drills working in the background, and the final Marker room.

They still came out looking alright, but we had to cut them down significantly from what we originally had or they just wouldn't run.

Other areas, where you had a playable space and then a huge vista, actually weren't that hard because we knew you couldn't get up to the vista or get to the other side of it.
On this topic, how do you actually know these things? Considering how extremely games like Metroid Prime get destroyed by glitchers and speedrunners, it must be a pain to actually have control over what's possible to do? More QA related of course but still. I assume it's thought of during level design construction as well?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I remember the PAX presentation you did about the doors.

It was truly amazing.

On this topic, how do you actually know these things? Considering how extremely games like Metroid Prime get destroyed by glitchers and speedrunners, it must be a pain to actually have control over what's possible to do? More QA related of course but still. I assume it's thought of during level design construction as well?

I think most of the ones in Dead Space are actually covered by glass walls like
the top of the church, the bridge of the Ishimura, or are on rails like the HALO jump.

Top Bottom