• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Review Thread

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
WORLD'S FIRST DEAD SPACE 2 REVIEW IS IN

If the very first review by the Official Xbox Magazine is anything to go by, then Visceral Studios has done just that. With Dead Space 2 dawning the cover for February's issue of the magazine, the staff at OXM have given the title a 9.5 overall score.

While we don't want to give away too many of the details, the review states the title is filled with tons of horror and surprises, along with it being very lengthy.

// Mod Edit:

Edge Review Excerpts:
The latest Dead Space 2 has arrived, and it's yet another impressive mark from the latest Edge magazine, which awards the EA horror 9/10.

Edge's review wastes no time, opening by stating that "Dead Space 2 has everything its predecessor had", namely "a principal mix of sophistication and dread, underpinned by elegant survival horror mechanics and visual design nothing short of brilliant".

It goes on to quickly qualify that Dead Space 2 isn't just more of the same. In fact, it claims the leap in quality is so great that it's comparible to "Uncharted's move from a superior first game to an outstanding second".

"Polish, variety and, most radically for Dead Space 2, likeably engaging characters," make for a significantly improved Dead Space experience, says the mag.

Edge's score is the latest in a growing line of praise for Dead Space 2, alongside PSM3's 92% Dead Space 2 review and OXM's 9/10 Dead Space 2 review.

OXM - 9.5 (See Above)
PSM3 - 92%
GamePro - 9.0
OXM UK - 9.0
Game Informer - 9.0
Edge - 9.0
PlayStation: The Official Magazine - 9.0
IGN - 9.0

Majine said:
I think the demo gave the indication that this is just more of Dead Space 1. Which is fine by me.

Weird, as somebody who absolutely loved Dead Space 1, the demo told me this wasn't the case at all. Interesting.

Majine

Banned
timetokill said:
Weird, as somebody who absolutely loved Dead Space 1, the demo told me this wasn't the case at all. Interesting.
Well, the cathedral part gave me some Resident Evil 4 vibes. :lol

Drewsky

The first one was critically acclaimed, and the demo for this one was really good. Not at all surprised.

Really excited to get this.

I guess the hype train has officially left the station. The original Dead Space ruled, so here's hoping Dead Space 2 follows suit. Can't wait to fuck up some new necromorphs.

Salsa

Feel bad for never finishing the first one, got really near the end and lost my save.

Tempted to get it on Steam today to play through it, but i think im done. Time to spoil the ending and start fresh with this one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Majine said:
Wonder why we haven't seen much of the DS Extraction HD port.
It was a showcase at their TGS press conference.

Oddly enough, we didn't see DS2 at that one, probably due to the violence.

Luthos

Majine said:
I think the demo gave the indication that this is just more of Dead Space 1. Which is fine by me.
This. I loved Dead Space 1. So if it's more of the "basically" same, then I'm cool. Just a few small update/changes like the zero-g movement (which I thought was awesome), a new suit, a couple new weapons, etc. That's all I need to buy this game.

Varth

kyo_daikun said:
Multiplayer mainly.

Usual graphic adjustments, new areas, a few new enemies and weapons.

Well, I think that's a hell of an understatement. The main point for me was the added variety and better overall rythm, both addressing my main downers for the amazing game that was the first DS.

Also loved Extraction, while I found it VERY difficult. Never played it on Wii, but keeping track of the camera movement is a nightmare.

Varth said:
Well, I think that's a hell of an understatement. The main point for me was the added variety and better overall rythm, both addressing my main downers for the amazing game that was the first DS.

Also loved Extraction, while I found it VERY difficult. Never played it on Wii, but keeping track of the camera movement is a nightmare.

Lol didn't mean to undersell it or anything :lol

I was just going by what little I had seen, i've only played the multi beta, haven't touched the single player demo as I know im going to love it and don't want to spoil any of it before I get the full game, can fully agree with what you said tho from the few videos i've seen.

I want to know what they quality as "lengthy." Lengthy as in like RE4 where it's just 20 hours of pure "holy crap I can't believe the game isn't over yet and is still so amazing" or lengthy in that "wow a great 11 hour game in the era of 7 hour games."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Heretic said:
do i need to play DS1 in order to understand what's going on in this one?
There's a recap video at the beginning I believe.

Though, Dead Space 1 is $6.80 on Steam right now.

Heretic said:
do i need to play DS1 in order to understand what's going on in this one?

Yeah, it would definetly help to know what happened in the first game, its totally amazing and you still have a few weeks till DS2 comes out so there's no real excuse, turn the lights off and the sound up!

Net_Wrecker said:
Any word of New Game+? Was it in the first game?

Pretty sure there was newgame+ you could play through with everything in your inventory when you completed the game, tho if you changed the difficulty you had to start anew.

kyo_daikun said:
Pretty sure there was newgame+ you could play through with everything in your inventory when you completed the game, tho if you changed the difficulty you had to start anew.

Ohhh, THAT type of NG+ huh? Bayonetta has spoiled me with the art of REAL NG+ where I take all my upgrades/unlocks to whatever difficulty I please. Hoping for something like that in this game.

Nessus

Still haven't finished DS1 on PS3, nor played Extraction on Wii, though I loved the mythos I managed to catch in some of those online pseudo-animated, voice-acted comics.

Net_Wrecker said:
Ohhh, THAT type of NG+ huh? Bayonetta has spoiled me with the art of REAL NG+ where I take all my upgrades/unlocks to whatever difficulty I please. Hoping for something like that in this game.

Hehe, im sure I would have taken all my gear across if I could have when doing my hard difficulty playthrough, in the end I remember abusing the hell out of the stasis cheat.

seady said:
Has there ever been a "world first review" that isn't glowing?

OPM had the first Mercenaries 2 review and they gave it a 7. The 'world's first review' are typically heavily hyped games and more often than not they do turn out to be good games, so it shouldn't be surprising that most of the time you'll see good scores.

Top Bottom