• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Review Thread

Nizz

DS2 having multiplayer doesn't really bother me. It's completely optional, you can play it if/when you choose. It's when a game forces co-op on you *looks at RE5* that I'm not too thrilled about.

And besides, if the quality of the demo is anything to go by there's absolutely nothing to worry about as far as single player. My only problem right now is my financial situation
broke
that may keep me from getting the game day one. :(

There's no doubt I'm getting this game though.

Lard

Banned
electroshockwave said:
Lard, given the weird irrational hate you seem to have for multiplayer (especially in sequels to games that didn't have MP) I think it's fair to say that you don't have the most reliable opinion as far as multiplayer is concerned. IIRC, you've said that you enjoyed Uncharted 1 and I imagine that you probably spent more than $20 on it. The consensus is that Uncharted 2 is a better single-player game than Drake's Fortune but for some reason you've got a stick up your ass because they added something completely optional that was no detriment to the single-player making it somehow worth less.

Most annoyingly you drag this crap into things that you don't have a fucking clue about. I think I've seen you bitch about the Autolog in Hot Pursuit without understanding what it is and you said that you were considering not getting Dragon Age 1 when someone mentioned it having a completely optional and unintrusive social networking feature. And I don't think I've seen you post anything about Dead Space 2 that wasn't you whining about the inclusion of multiplayer.

A) It's not irrational - preferring to see single player games stay single player instead of having MP shoehorned in to sell more DLC is perfectly rational.

B) Yes, I bought the first Uncharted new.

C) So what? The general trend of sticking MP where it's not needed for an obvious cash grab is irritating, and bad for gaming in general.

Lard said:
A) It's not irrational - preferring to see single player games stay single player instead of having MP shoehorned in to sell more DLC is perfectly rational.

C) So what? The general trend of sticking MP where it's not needed for an obvious cash grab is irritating, and bad for gaming in general.

Can you name 5 examples this generation where forcing multiplayer into an otherwise great SP franchise ruined the SP experience? I'm going to gift you RE5, even though I liked it. Go!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lard said:
Pointless multiplayer shoehorned in to sell dlc map packs?

WHAT A GAME! 9.5!

Aren't you the same dude who won't play Uncharted 2 because it has multiplayer in it? Even though it is better in every single way than the first Uncharted?

Edit: sure are :lol. Nothing to see here folks.

tmarques

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Can you name 5 examples this generation where forcing multiplayer into an otherwise great SP franchise ruined the SP experience? I'm going to gift you RE5, even though I liked it. Go!

Does Conviction count? I love the Splinter Cell series, but apparently you can't play a huge chunk of the game unless you have a friend to go through the co-op campaign.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Well, I caved and placed an order for the special edition, even though I really don't want the gun. If it actually lights up, maybe I can use it as a cat toy though. :lol

Less than a month to go!

tmarques said:
Does Conviction count? I love the Splinter Cell series, but apparently you can't play a huge chunk of the game unless you have a friend to go through the co-op campaign.

The co-op campaign is a complete prequel to the Sam Fisher SP. You can actually play through all the co-op maps, albeit without the story clips, in the Hunter and Infiltration modes. Even if it were at the expense of the SP campaign, Chaos Theory started it.

onken

Teehee, awesome. Though I must say playing the demo brought back all those "shit spawning behind you over and over again" memories from the first game which I began to loathe by the end. I'll still buy it but eh, not so stoked as I was the first time.

Alucrid

Banned
luxarific said:
Well, I caved and placed an order for the special edition, even though I really don't want the gun. If it actually lights up, maybe I can use it as a cat toy though. :lol

Less than a month to go!

I want to for the armor, cause I'm a sucker for those kind of things, but I don't want to put down the extra $20.

FrankT

Still borderline here and with so much to play I could certainly go until at least Bulletstorm without thinking about another game. Though at the same time TWII comes out the same day and I could use that far more for my library versus this. If it sees universal 90-95 meta I may still jump in.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lard said:

When the single player experience is one of the best of the year, it makes no sense to rail against the inclusion of multiplayer. Only when the single player suffers do you have a rational case against the inclusion of multiplayer. Even if they did include multi in UC2 *solely* to sell DLC as you cynically assume, you don't have to launch it a single time or pay a single dollar and you still get an awesome single player game.

I understand that you're voting with your dollars against shoe-horned in multiplayer on principle, but if the inclusion of multiplayer doesn't harm single player, as is the case with UC2, then you are accomplishing nothing for your cause by ignoring the game.

It feels like you're ascribing some kind of "essence" to the single player game, such that it is damaged in your eyes by the inclusion of multiplayer regardless of the actual quality of the single player content. That would be irrational.

codecow said:
Why did they put multiplayer? Thats* rediculous* and to whomever did it your* terrible.

As for achievements/trophies I think you'll be pleased.

* [sic]
I'll take this to mean that there are no multiplayer achievements. If so, I am a happy camper.

tmarques said:

I guess you could make an argument that it's upsetting to some people that you can't play through all the content they created for that game without playing it multiplayer. But I don't really think that hurt the quality of the single player portion of the game.

Kinyou

Lard said:
Multiplayer is not added to sell DLC. It's to get to the casual players who only buy one game every two months. A game with multiplayer is obviously a much more attractive choice then a game without.

Magni

Crewnh said:
I'll take this to mean that there are no multiplayer achievements. If so, I am a happy camper.

Judging from x360a, unless the secret Achievements are MP (which they never are), then there are no MP-only achievements :D

dralla

Sho_Nuff82 said:
It's not about "ruining" the SP, it's more about resource allocation. What's the point of tacking on MP if no one really wants it when you could put more into the SP. I'm not saying this is the case with DS2, but just to name a few,

Resident Evil 5
BioShock 2
The Darkness
Riddick: Dark Athena
Metal Gear Solid 4
Brutal Legend

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dralla said:
It's not about "ruining" the SP, it's more about resource allocation. What's the point of tacking on MP if no one really wants it when you could put more into the SP. I'm not saying this is the case with DS2, but just to name a few,

Resident Evil 5
BioShock 2
The Darkness
Riddick: Dark Athena
Metal Gear Solid 4
Brutal Legend

BioShock 2's SP suffers because it follows on from a story which left nothing for continuance (not to mention Thomas is no Levine), and MGS4 falling short of expectations for most people is all Kojima, not resource allocation. :lol

This has probably been covered in other places, but I just completed the first game and was looking in to preordering the second one on Amazon.

If I preorder the PS3 Standard Version will it come with the Extraction HD game? Or do I have to preorder the Collectors Edition to get that?

I really enjoyed the first one. Awesome ending.

zoukka said:
Why do I instictively skip any info given by "official [inserts console here]" publications...
I always skip "official whatevers" but since it's not exclusive i'm not too bothered whatever the score was. The demo was ok by me.

bucsfan0210 said:
This has probably been covered in other places, but I just completed the first game and was looking in to preordering the second one on Amazon.

If I preorder the PS3 Standard Version will it come with the Extraction HD game? Or do I have to preorder the Collectors Edition to get that?

I really enjoyed the first one. Awesome ending.

In europe it stands that you have to buy either the collectors or the limited edition version to get Extraction, even then its very confusing as some shops are doing a collectors edition where you get the plasma cutter toy thing but no extraction, I would check online and don't order unless it 100% confirms that it includes extraction.

Just looking at amazon.com and the standard version doesn't come with extraction, the collectors edition does:

Collector's Edition includes PlayStation Move compatible game, replica plasma cutter, soundtrack, concept art and in-game items.

Lard

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
When the single player experience is one of the best of the year, it makes no sense to rail against the inclusion of multiplayer. Only when the single player suffers do you have a rational case against the inclusion of multiplayer. Even if they did include multi in UC2 *solely* to sell DLC as you cynically assume, you don't have to launch it a single time or pay a single dollar and you still get an awesome single player game.

I understand that you're voting with your dollars against shoe-horned in multiplayer on principle, but if the inclusion of multiplayer doesn't harm single player, as is the case with UC2, then you are accomplishing nothing for your cause by ignoring the game.

It feels like you're ascribing some kind of "essence" to the single player game, such that it is damaged in your eyes by the inclusion of multiplayer regardless of the actual quality of the single player content. That would be irrational.

It's the principle of the thing.

Slapping on MP where it's not needed just presumes that gamers will eat up any map packs/DLC content publishers will throw at us for a quick buck.

It presumes a certain amount of stupidity of the consumer by the publisher because they assume they won't see their obvious cash grabs. It's an incredibly cynical move on the part of publishers.

Also, let's not forget the fact that it's also a cash grab from companies who want to charge you for access to the MP mode if you buy used. This is all about money and nothing more.

MP may not "ruin" every game, but it certainly doesn't add anything to it.

I would just rather see money and resources not diverted from single player development of a single player game. And I will continue to vote with my wallet as long as publishers continue to make these kind of cynical, greedy moves.

gdt

Lard said:

Slapping on MP where it's not needed just presumes that gamers will eat up any map packs/DLC content publishers will throw at us for a quick buck.

It presumes a certain amount of stupidity of the consumer by the publisher because they assume they won't see their obvious cash grabs. It's an incredibly cynical move on the part of publishers.

Also, let's not forget the fact that it's also a cash grab from companies who want to charge you for access to the MP mode if you buy used. This is all about money and nothing more.

I would just rather see money and resources not diverted from single player development of a single player game. And I will continue to vote with my wallet as long as publishers continue to make these kind of cynical, greedy moves.

What if, you know, people actually like the MP in and of itself? And the MP itself (not DLC) adds value to the product for the general consumer?

tmarques said:

Conviction sucked for a lot of reasons, among the most prominent being that it became a generic action game and seemed to have a total of 2 voice actors for enemies (One of which was Chris Jericho).

Lame story, horrid AI, frequently repeated lines from henchmen, abandonment of core fundamentals that the series was founded on...

Lard said:

It's a complex issue, I don't personally have a problem with it. Makes me feel sad that your missing out on games like Uncharted 2, AC: Brotherhood and DS2 just for the fact the developer has added a multiplayer feature, wouldn't it make more sense to buy the game, then just not play the multiplayer at all if you have a problem with it?

For example if Naughty Dog sold 2 million copies of Uncharted 2 but only 500k of those played the multiplayer maybe they would think its a feature most people don't want and not include it in U3?

Lard

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
It's a complex issue, I don't personally have a problem with it. Makes me feel sad that your missing out on games like Uncharted 2, AC: Brotherhood and DS2 just for the fact the developer has added a multiplayer feature, wouldn't it make more sense to buy the game, then just not play the multiplayer at all if you have a problem with it?

For example if Naughty Dog sold 2 million copies of Uncharted 2 but only 500k of those played the multiplayer maybe they would think its a feature most people don't want and not include it in U3?

I've already got a huge backlog, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Any game throwing in MP is an automatic $20 used purchase for me.

Why would I buy a game new when I'm trying to make a point with my wallet?

There's plenty of stuff out there that's more deserving of my money.

WickedAngel said:
Conviction sucked for a lot of reasons, among the most prominent being that it became a generic action game and seemed to have a total of 2 voice actors for enemies (One of which was Chris Jericho).

Lame story, horrid AI, frequently repeated lines from henchmen, abandonment of core fundamentals that the series was founded on...

TBH I never played the single player, but I found the co-op to be amazingly fun. Plenty of stealth and action mixed, and the extra co op mods like survival were just icing. I can't speak for how true it is to the franchise, but considering how cheap this title can be found I have no problem recommending it if you have a friend to play through it with.

Lard said:
I've already got a huge backlog, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Any game throwing in MP is an automatic $20 used purchase for me.

Why would I buy a game new when I'm trying to make a point with my wallet?

There's plenty of stuff out there that's more deserving of my money.

As I said, companies will look at sales figures vs how many people used the multiplayer feature, it would give at least more of an impression than just buying it used later on which the company will obviously not see what so ever, all marketing and figures.

As for games more deserving of your money uncharted 2 is rated as one of the best games this gen, brotherhood is pretty amazing in its own right.

Lard said:

This seems a little silly to me... You realize that dev teams like ND, Visceral, and Ubi didn't split their teams in half to create MP, right? They hired new people specifically to build the MP. And if they make a fantastic SP experience regardless of the MP, you still won't support them?

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
I have been saying this for some time now, but this is why developers need to start selling the SP and MP of games separately. I can see Lard's point of view, and mostly agree with him. The bottom line is that if there wasn't a multiplayer mode in a game, the resources would be diverted to single player. If the single player can not conceivably be improved in any way by throwing money at it :)lol ), then it can at least come out earlier, or it will cost less.

If developers start selling SP and MP separately, it would be great. Yes, you can ignore the multiplayer, but you are still paying the same price as everyone else. I won't touch the MP part of DS2, why can't I just buy the SP?

Now, what is this thread about again?:lol

Oh yeah, Dead Space 2. Singleplayer looks awesome, multiplayer looks like a poor man's L4D. No one will be playing the MP, I can guarantee it.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
This seems a little silly to me... You realize that dev teams like ND, Visceral, and Ubi didn't split their teams in half to create MP, right? They hired new people specifically to build the MP.

While I think that Lard should support UC2 (as the singleplayer is still great), you have to realize that to hire those MP people, it costs a lot of money. And for people like me and Lard, that is unfortunate, since that money could be going to SP.

cornontheCoD said:
While I think that Lard should support UC2 (as the singleplayer is still great), you have to realize that to hire those MP people, it costs a lot of money. And for people like me and Lard, that is unfortunate, since that money could be going to SP.

No, but they wouldn't get that money in the first place. That money is specifically for hiring an MP team, isn't it? If they weren't gonna make an MP component, then they would just receive the budget for the SP team, which would probably wind up being similar to the budget for the second game (if you have a similar amount of developers still working there).

Lard

Banned
I'm not going to keep derailing the thread.

For those that enjoy the game, great, I'll play it at some point in the far future.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Lard said:

I agree with this. A huge segment of players don't play online. Now it's a must or all reviewers score it down. I think that's BS. I don't like MP unless it's with close friends.

Truant

Codecow, I thought the image quality was a little strange in the demo. The aliasing seemed kinda prominent. It's not a huge issue, the game looks great, but could you give us some insight on what's been improved in terms of graphics since the demo build?

zlatko

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
I don't think a space suit in any medium has looked cooler. Wasn't there a multiplayer beta? How was it?

I got in the beta. To be 100% honest it was pure crap/ass. Throw away shit that shouldn't have been placed in it to begin with. They could've used the money to make a really good co-op mode similar to horde mode or firefight instead which would've been fantastic.

I loved DS1 and bought it day one knowing full well it would be incredible. DS2 I'm pumped to play, but I'm iffy on if it'll be a step up from DS1 in enough ways. I imagine it'll be a good game, but DS1 will end up being better for w/e reason. Hope to be proven wrong though. :D

Thunderbear said:
I agree with this. A huge segment of players don't play online. Now it's a must or all reviewers score it down. I think that's BS. I don't like MP unless it's with close friends.

I agree with you on the 'must or score goes down'. For the most part, I dislike MP unless with my buddies because someone always finds a way to ruin it. That said, I don't think having an MP component will have an adverse effect on the SP. That's already been proven with Uncharted 2 and ACB and I'm sure there are other games.

Kydd BlaZe

Hmmm....

I remember OXM giving the original Dead Space a 6.5, and in fact, if I'm not mistaken they had the "World's First Review" for that as well.

Eliciel

everything from 9-10 out of ten will be awesome. I loved the first entry of Dead Space. Even 8 is ok but I can't see how this game could possibly turn out to be a bad game..

DigiMish

For the people questioning why does there need to be multiplayer in games like these, I am sure it's just pressure from the publishers.

Sometimes though, the "tacked on multiplayer" as some of you may call it turns out to be very fun i.e. Uncharted 2.

Sh1ner

Guys, how good is dead space 1? I played it for an hour and got annoyed by the cheap scare tactics employed. ie enemy appears up front, you get instantly attacked from behind even if your being extra cautious. It reminds me of doom 3 in a bad way. The design was amazing and I liked the story.

Do the cheap scare tactics persist throughout the game or is it just involved in earlier parts of the game?

K' Dash

I preordered mine months ago, would play the first a fourth time, but my backlog is huge.

Sh1ner said:
Guys, how good is dead space 1? I played it for an hour and got annoyed by the cheap scare tactics employed. ie enemy appears up front, you get instantly attacked from behind even if your being extra cautious. It reminds me of doom 3 in a bad way. The design was amazing and I liked the story.

Do the cheap scare tactics persist throughout the game or is it just involved in earlier parts of the game?

At first yeah, then you learn to chek behind you constantly, especially when there's a Neceromorph attack, you have to kill what's in fron of you and inmediately turn, always a great chance to get an enemy on your back on those hallways, but that's just a minor part oof the game.

Believe me, it's worth it to play it 'till the end, it's game of the generation for me.

Top Bottom