• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Review Thread

quetz67

Banned
Lard said:
Any game throwing in MP is an automatic $20 used purchase for me.
Nothing wrong with buying later, have a long backlog too (just that DS2 makes a jump to the top in my case).

But I dont really understand that MP / $20 connection, can you please explain?

Cheech

DigiMish said:
For the people questioning why does there need to be multiplayer in games like these, I am sure it's just pressure from the publishers.

Sometimes though, the "tacked on multiplayer" as some of you may call it turns out to be very fun i.e. Uncharted 2.

It depends how they budget it. The problem is that Lard doesn't really have a leg to stand on, because he has no way of knowing whether the publisher budgeted extra for the multiplayer or not. Since the review said that DS2's campaign was lengthy (as was the original), I am inclined to think that EA poured additional funds into DS2 to add the multi.

At any rate, I am voting with my wallet too, and NOT preordering this game, even though I actually bought the original Day 1 on 360 and loved the hell out of it. It may be one of the best Halloween-timed horror games in the history of the medium.

EA has been playing ridiculous games with Steam lately, and the shit needs to stop. When DS2 goes up on Steam, I'll buy it there, and not a minute sooner. I'm fairly certain they're doing it as a ploy to drive DD traffic to their own EA Store, but it's a fucking godawful excuse for a distribution mechanism and needs to die.

spats said:
Not entirely unexpected. I liked the demo a lot.
I expect I'd like the demo too if there was a PC one but EA or Visceral seem intent on burying each of their PC releases that isn't a shooter.

Wow at the clowns discounting the game solely because there is multiplayer.

He explained on the last page, dude. He doesn't want to pay for sequels that come with multiplayer as they dilute and ruin the single player experience by just being on the same disc.

It's not like multiplayer has its own resources or team of developers working it, everyone knows they put together a bare bones single player and spend the rest of the money on multiplayer, hookers and coke.

:=/

crazy ass folks on here for sure for thinking like that.

codecow

dralla said:
What's the point of tacking on MP if no one really wants it

It was the #1 most requested feature from the DS1 customers. In addition, some of us on the team actually like playing MP games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ResidentDante said:
Agreed, Dead Space was scary shit, RE5 never ever made me jump.
Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmare, buy it

Minamu

snoopeasystreet said:
I don't have a problem with devs putting multiplayer into primarily single player games as long as there isn't multiplayer focused achievements or trophies. I'm actually more likely to keep a game if there's a high likelihood that I'll eventually get 1000gs or a platinum trophy in it.

What's the story with Dead Space 2's achievements?
Here you go :)
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/dead-space-2/achievements/
Quite a few secret ones so far so maybe they're multiplayer ones but more likely related to the story.

Also this:
http://www.pixelenemy.com/site/2010/12/dead-space-2-first-impressions/
Haven't watched it myself but could be funny :) demo playthrough with commentary.

Ratrat

I didnt think Dead Space was scary at all. Havent played RE5 but Dead Space could also feel repetitive and lacking in variety in gameplay and environments. Coming off of RE4, RE5 should have been 10x better than what DS was.

StuBurns said:
Exclusive reviews are worthless, however DS2 being awesome should surprise no one.

Yeah that demo really was incredible. Bless Visceral games for picking up the torch that capcom threw into the sewer.

Solideliquid said:
To me, Dead Space was the game Resident Evil 5 SHOULD have been.

Yup and with better controls and one of the most bad interfaces ever.

hamchan

Nothing wrong at all with added multiplayer as long as the single player is still up to par. Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood prove that it can be.

Truant

Ratrat said:
I didnt think Dead Space was scary at all. Havent played RE5 but Dead Space could also feel repetitive and lacking in variety in gameplay and environments. Coming off of RE4, RE5 should have been 10x better than what DS was.

This makes no sense.

Weenerz

Banned
Silly question but does anyone know if this game will somehow be a Steamworks title? I have the 360 CE preordered, but I would love to change to PC CE.

hamchan

Weenerz said:
Silly question but does anyone know if this game will somehow be a Steamworks title? I have the 360 CE preordered, but I would love to change to PC CE.
It's an EA game, so I would say no.

soldat7

Ratrat said:

The entire ship felt like one contiguous environment and was very well designed. I hate the fire level, ice level, water level design mentality for variety's sake. Dead Space had a constant dark hum with the random monster closet here and there. It was plenty 'scary' and 'moody' and, dare I say, 'atmospheric.'

Weenerz said:

Likely not. Shank and Deathspank are the exceptions and those are more "indie" games.

pakkit

Banned
codecow said:
Why did they put multiplayer? Thats* rediculous* and to whomever did it your* terrible.

As for achievements/trophies I think you'll be pleased.

* [sic]
How dare you give us more game for our money.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ratrat said:
Action games are about empowerment. It's hard to be scared of the enemies when you're mowing them down like grass.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cheech said:
It depends how they budget it. The problem is that Lard doesn't really have a leg to stand on, because he has no way of knowing whether the publisher budgeted extra for the multiplayer or not. Since the review said that DS2's campaign was lengthy (as was the original), I am inclined to think that EA poured additional funds into DS2 to add the multi.
Yeah, to my understanding the multiplayer was primarily developed by Visceral Melbourne, who focuses on multiplayer and PC versions for the new Visceral global-mega-studio.

Edit:

And I would be incorrect. See below.

Minamu

SapientWolf said:
Action games are about empowerment. It's hard to be scared of the enemies when you're mowing them down like grass.
On the other hand, the church battle was scary because I felt like "oh shit how am I gonna survive this kind of assault, I don't want to die buhuhu :'(". That wouldn't have happened if there were only like 3-4 enemies in that big area. So numbers can be cary, but in a different way. Sure, each individual enemy isn't as scary, it's more about "please don't kill meeee :S" kind of scares.

todahawk

codecow said:
It was the #1 most requested feature from the DS1 customers. In addition, some of us on the team actually like playing MP games.

And based on the beta, you guys nailed it (fingers crossed). I played the single MP map in DS2 way more than I thought I would. For a smallish map I never got bored. Gameplay was always fresh. Release date is coming up quick!

I love the religious/gothic vibe from the demo, almost gives me a flash back to RE4's castle areas.

codecow

Nirolak said:
Yeah, to my understanding the multiplayer was primarily developed by Visceral Melbourne, who focuses on multiplayer and PC versions for the new Visceral global-mega-studio.

Nope. The UI coding was done at Visceral Montreal, the rest of the code for MP was done in Redwood City at Visceral RWS. The art was split between Visceral RWS and Montreal however we had separate people working on it. My good friends at Visceral Melbourne worked mainly on the PC.

Awesome to see the Gamepro review.

Anyone know when the embargo for online reviews will be lifted? I'll probably avoid them like the plague, but I'm just curious.

SPEA

codecow said:
Nope. The UI coding was done at Visceral Montreal, the rest of the code for MP was done in Redwood City at Visceral RWS. The art was split between Visceral RWS and Montreal however we had separate people working on it. My good friends at Visceral Melbourne worked mainly on the PC.
Werd. Thanks for clarifying. Also man, great job on the game. Really loved the demo. Got mine preordered and ready.

codecow said:

Ooh nice I didn't know we had a member of the team on this board. You guys kick ass man. The new "Survival Horror Kings"

Minamu

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ooh nice I didn't know we had a member of the team on this board. You guys kick ass man. The new "Survival Horror Kings"
Three actually, if you count Jay Fresh's one time visit as community manager :) Ian Milham being the second dude. Probably a bunch of lurkers too? :D

Lard

Banned
Clay Davis said:
He explained on the last page, dude. He doesn't want to pay for sequels that come with multiplayer as they dilute and ruin the single player experience by just being on the same disc.

It's not like multiplayer has its own resources or team of developers working it, everyone knows they put together a bare bones single player and spend the rest of the money on multiplayer, hookers and coke.

:=/

crazy ass folks on here for sure for thinking like that.

No, it's called having a different opinion than yours.

Try not being a judgmental douche.

Lard said:

Like your attitude towards this game and Uncharted 2 and any game that adds value to the overall package by including multiplayer?

There's having different opinions and there's being a judgemental douche. And your position isn't a difference of opinion.

:lol

Irish

Lard said:

It's your word choice and the way you state your opinions as fact.

You say things like MP are "Tacked-On", "Shoehorned in", and "Obvious DLC Cash Grabs" when that is clearly not the case regarding certain games such as DS 2 and U2.

Basically, you're the one being the judgemental "asshat".

BruceLeeRoy said:

maybe if all you play are AAA console games.
sigh.

(no offense codecow, I think you guys are swell)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Rolf NB said:
Same. Didn't feel the demo. I'll still get it.
The demo, controls and gameplay wise, felt just like DS1 which imo is great. However, the environments were a nice surprise. The Unitologist church, with the carpeting, columns and stairs was nice new look over the more sterile, grimy ship environments of the first. Also, whatever that thing that shot at me through the window...

This is awesome:

Untitled1.png

So we get the original PC for finishing the first game as a bonus for the second. Wonder if we get it fully upgraded as I totally upgraded my Cutter.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
This is awesome:

http://helldescent.com/wp-content/uploads//Untitled1.png[IMG]

So we get the original PC for finishing the first game as a bonus for the second. Wonder if we get it fully upgraded as I totally upgraded my Cutter.[/QUOTE]

Huh...so you don't automatically start with it? Or is the first one different somehow. I think starting the game with a maxed DS1 Cutter would be pretty blah personally.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
codecow said:
Huh, I am corrected, thank you.

This does raise the interesting question of what titles Visceral Melbourne is doing the multiplayer for though.

While you obviously can't answer, we know from job postings that Dante's Inferno is getting a sequel and that AoT got folded in to Visceral, but both of those had multiplayer teams already, hmm...

Well, there are the two other mystery franchises like the action platforming one.

Massa

_tetsuo_ said:
Except multiplayer

Not just multiplayer actually. For example, it was because they were working on the multiplayer that Naughty Dog identified and fixed several issue with the shooting controls of Uncharted, making the single player much better as well.

Lard

Banned
Clay Davis said:
Like your attitude towards this game and Uncharted 2 and any game that adds value to the overall package by including multiplayer?

There's having different opinions and there's being a judgemental douche. And your position isn't a difference of opinion.

:lol

The difference is I'm not judgmental towards people who play it or buy it new. My comments are directed towards the games only.

I stand by my opinions towards games that don't need MP - but I don't make sweeping general statements about the people who play them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lard said:
The difference is I'm not judgmental towards people who play it or buy it new. My comments are directed towards the games only.

I stand by my opinions towards games that don't need MP - but I don't make sweeping general statements about the people who play them.

He only said that comment towards your nonsensical viewpoint. It wasn't meant to offend.

Papercuts said:
Huh...so you don't automatically start with it? Or is the first one different somehow. I think starting the game with a maxed DS1 Cutter would be pretty blah personally.

You probably do start with the Plasma Cutter, but it seems like the PC in DS2 is somewhat different from the one in the first game.

codecow

Massa said:
Not just multiplayer actually. For example, it was because they were working on the multiplayer that Naughty Dog identified and fixed several issue with the shooting controls of Uncharted, making the single player much better as well.

^^^^ THIS xInfinity.

We tightened up the controls immensely based on developing MP and it really helped for it in this case not to be a bolt-on (separate executable by a different developer, i.e. not stealing resources) because all of those changes also improve single player.

codecow

Papercuts said:

It doesn't have your upgrades.

Lard said:

IIRC didn't you have a thread months ago whining about added multiplayer before? Is it needed to be heard again?

Top Bottom