• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Review Thread

Porkepik

does anyone knows if the DS extraction game is on the regular version as well or do I have to buy the collector edition? (USA/CANADA version here)

Massa

Porkepik said:
does anyone knows if the DS extraction game is on the regular version as well or do I have to buy the collector edition? (USA/CANADA version here)

It's available on both the Collector's Edition ($80) and the Limited Edition ($60). If you buy the game at launch you get the LE.

Teknoman

LM4sure said:
The Gamestop commercial is terrible. Graphics look like shit and the main guy talks?! WTF?! I liked it better when he kept his mouth shut. He sounds awful too.

Glad it's getting good reviews though. Hopefully they don't fuck up the pc release this time.

If you have any way to play the demo, do it. The graphics look great, Issac's voice in game really doesnt detract from the experience, and gamestop exclusive commercials are usually really dumb.

Draft

BruceLeeRoy said:
I'm so excited for this game. PC / Console is my only hard desision is it day and date for PC?
Even if the PC version isn't getting second class treatment like the first game, it's nowhere to be found on Steam, and EA is digging in their heals when it comes to using their own DD service.

I just said fuck it, grabbed the PS3 LE. I'll grab the PC version later.

I mean, it's a no brainer if you have a triple. You get a free copy of the downloadable title, a free copy of the Wii port game and the guarantee that the game will work correctly which is still a ? with the PC version.

ArjanN

Draft said:
Even if the PC version isn't getting second class treatment like the first game, it's nowhere to be found on Steam, and EA is digging in their heals when it comes to using their own DD service.

I mean, it's a no brainer if you have a triple. You get a free copy of the downloadable title, a free copy of the Wii port game and the guarantee that the game will work correctly which is still a ? with the PC version.

The game was already added to the Steam registry, and I personally had no problems with the PC version of DS1.

Draft said:

Good point man. Ps3 it is

Wow, these reviews are fantastic, especially EDGE. I loved the original, so I was expecting this to be good but this is well beyond my wildest hopes.

Gravijah

I didn't play the first (well, I played 30 minutes or an hour of it) but I had some of the major plot points spoiled... Should I just jump into this one?

Gravijah said:
I didn't play the first (well, I played 30 minutes or an hour of it) but I had some of the major plot points spoiled... Should I just jump into this one?

The first is available pretty cheaply now. I think it's still well worth playing. It's more about gameplay than story.

Taiser

126fhg7.png

If no one makes an awesome OT (BruceLeeRoy, come on... you know you want to, haha) by this upcoming Thursday, I'll do one. I don't promise greatness, so whoever is awesome OT-makers, step up!

Man I want to so bad I just don't have any time. I'll try and make a couple graphical elements for whoever ends up putting it together.

Minamu

MrTroubleMaker said:
It's to early, in about three days an OT could go up. I don't know who is doing it though.
I was under the impression that BruceLeeRoy was gonna make it, but no one seems ot know for sure :S

Edit: Oh okay, then we have no one doing it for sure as of this moment :S

Edit: Nottheguyyoukill: Do it, so it gets done :D I'm probably gonna be extremely busy in school the coming 10ish weeks so I won't even have time to play this :'(

Edit3: Wait... Smilies are back again? Or are they just cached on my pc? :S Weird. :lol

Minamu said:
I was under the impression that BruceLeeRoy was gonna make it, but no one seems ot know for sure :S

Edit: Nottheguyyoukill: Do it, so it gets done :D I'm probably gonna be extremely busy in school the coming 10ish weeks so I won't even have time to play this :'(

Edit3: Wait... Smilies are back again? Or are they just cached on my pc? :S Weird. :lol

Alright, I guess I'll do it. Hopefully work and school will be manageable enough for me to work on a decent one.

And the smiley's aren't back :( It's just your desires causing you to hallucinate.

Jerk

Banned
Minamu said:

Wait...

Where did the smilies go?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jerk 2.0 said:
Wait...

Where did the smilies go?
To hell.

Too many posts contained only the :lol smiley.

Minamu

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Alright, I guess I'll do it. Hopefully work and school will be manageable enough for me to work on a decent one.

And the smiley's aren't back :( It's just your desires causing you to hallucinate.
Good man. Nah I remembered I installed some script so :D and :lol show up as the regular smilies, but they only do for me, so it doesn't serve that much of a purpose :)

voltron

Im not usually one to be swayed by review scores... well especially on games Im looking forward to anyway. (I guess I review scores do play a part in certain instances... like Darksiders last year for example).

Anyway, that said, my hype has gone through the roof after that Edge score and excerpt. Cannot wait for this game.

Gonna go all old-skool and only play at night like I used to do with scary games as a kid. Pitch black room.... Sennheiser's cranked in my ear and sit right up close to my new 1080p Bravia.... Gonna be rad!

codecow

I haven't played in a while and I was playing the hardest difficulty this morning with headphones on and I have to admit jumping a few times.

Irish

(I posted this before, but the thread was pretty dead. Added a few new things.)

After playing through the demo at least ten different times within the past few hours, I have a few comments:

1) I'm really liking the adjustments that have been made to the controls. Having to reload by tapping L1+X frustrated me so much in the first game. A simple Square tap makes things a lot more fluid. I also prefer having stasis mapped to L1+Triangle, but I'm not really sure as to why though. Tap Triangle to use your stasis refill is nice addition too. I also prefer Health being on Circle. L3 for liftoff is cool.

2) Kinesis is fantastic now due to its speed upgrade. I really like how quickly you can recover all of the items in a room using it. (something I did in the original so I could listen to audio logs before a battle started) Dismembering a Necro's arm, quickly grabbing it with kinesis, and then impaling him with it is one of my favorite things to do now. It's extremely satisfying.

It also seems to be quite a bit stronger than it was before. You can toss dead bodies a fair bit farther than I remember. There also seems to be more interaction between thrown objects and enemies. Throwing corpses into a Necro's legs and watching it stumble and then fall is quite entertaining. Now, that may have been possible in the first game, but I didn't use kinesis enough in combat to tell for sure.

3) I really enjoy the new Zero-G mechanics. I never liked the whole "jumping through the air just to stand on another platform" mechanic of the first. I was also annoyed that the move took up the L1+Triangle button combination.

4) I like the enemy designs. The way the human limbs are simply hanging off the main body just looks so interesting.

5) The Javelin is so damned cool. I especially love the electricity that shoots out using the alt fire. The plain old explosion from the beta was kind of lame.

6) I'm kind of torn about the whole classic/versus centered crosshairs. I think the centered version is nice and sleek, while the classic version seems more immersive. I think I prefer the line gun's centered version more because of how close the reticule dots are to each other. Unfortunately, using the classical version over the centered version is a bad idea when the boss monster grabs you and you have to shoot its weakpoint. It seems much harder to accurately place your shots on the "sack" using classical.

7) I like the new loot containers.

8) I like being able to see how much ammo I have for each gun by holding in the directional buttons.

9) I like how streamlined the store is now. Rows/Columns make it much easier to move through compared to a singular list.

Few Questions:

1) What determines the item drops? I noticed the items were different every time I played. (I used different weapons and strategies each go around.)

2) Did the Javelin's alt-fire require an extra round of ammo in the beta? I remember codecow mentioning that the team believed it was overpowered (and it was), so I was wondering if the additional round being used was a way to balance that out. It kinda sucks in SP though. :/

Also, did the round count for a Pulse Rifle launched grenade go up? For some reason, I was thinking that it was around 10 rounds in the beta. Now it is 25. Of course, it may have been 25 from the get-go.

3) Is it true that there are several different suit categories (engineer, military, etc.) that can each be upgraded to different levels (Engineer Rig 1, Engineer Rig 2, Advanced Rig 1, Advanced Rig 2, etc.)?

4) Was the map only removed for the demo or is it gone from the game entirely?

voltron

I heard some rumblings on some podcast or other that DS2 is much more linear than the first...

Anyone know if this is true?

Two factors that helped to make Dead Space such a great game (for me anyway) were:

1. The freedom the player had to upgrade weapons/suits etc in any way they wanted... and

2. The level design. DS was still a linear experience but the levels themselves were designed in a such way that each separate section of the ship - while cut-off from the previous sections - allowed a certain degree of free-roaming and exploration. It was just a satisfying experience.... especially when compared to other games that just keep funnelling you forward down a somewhat straight line.

I think it would be a real shame if Dead Space 2 lost that and went with a traditional linear experience ala games like Gears etc.

Truant

voltron said:
I heard some rumblings on some podcast or other that DS2 is much more linear than the first...

Two factors that helped to make Dead Space such a great game (for me anyway) were:

1. The freedom the player had to upgrade weapons/suits etc in any way they wanted... and

2. The level design. DS was still a linear experience but the levels themselves were designed in a such way that each separate section of the ship - while cut-off from the previous sections - allowed a certain degree of free-roaming and exploration. It was just a satisfying experience.... especially when compared to other games that just keep funnelling you forward down a somewhat straight line.

I think it would be a real shame if Dead Space 2 lost that and went with a traditional linear experience ala games like Gears etc.

Totally agree with everything in this post. Having each part of the ship open to exploration gave a great sense of place.

ArjanN

voltron said:

2. The level design. DS was still a linear experience but the levels themselves were designed in a such way that each separate section of the ship - while cut-off from the previous sections - allowed a certain degree of free-roaming and exploration. It was just a satisfying experience.... especially when compared to other games that just keep funnelling you forward down a somewhat straight line.I think it would be a real shame if Dead Space 2 lost that and went with a traditional linear experience ala games like Gears etc.

DS was pretty much completely linear actually, they just hid it pretty well.

Irish

They usually gave you multiple objectives at once and let you choose which of the several relatively large paths you would tackle first.

Max

I am not Max
How were the m/kb controls for DS? I'm getting DS2 for PC but i'm not really into using my PS3 controller with motioninjoy, because of the triggers.

Max said:
How were the m/kb controls for DS? I'm getting DS2 for PC but i'm not really into using my PS3 controller with motioninjoy, because of the triggers.

Why use m/kb for third-person survival horror games on the system when the X360 controller for PC is perfect for them? Playing through the original with mine was sublime.

You should pick one up.

voltron

ArjanN said:
DS was pretty much completely linear actually, they just hid it pretty well.

Well yeah... and I acknowledged it. But the design of the levels and goal structure within them was such that each area was its own discreet free-roamable (to an extent) space.

voltron

Irish said:
They usually gave you multiple objectives at once and let you choose which of the several relatively large paths you would tackle first.

True. It slipped because its been so long since Ive played it... but the way that the game allowed the player options as far as which objective to aim for - and in what order - was a huge factor that contributed to the sense of freedom you felt in each level.

Irish

Yeah, I was just pointing out what gave players a sense of freedom in the original when it was technically a "linear" game.

pixel monkey said:
Why use m/kb for third-person survival horror games on the system when the X360 controller for PC is perfect for them? Playing through the original with mine was sublime.

You should pick one up.

Actually, the Dead Space 1 360 controller controls were really fucked on the PC. Half the thumbstick was deadzone. Since they won't put out a PC demo for DS2, I'm afraid to buy it for PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
pixel monkey said:

You should pick one up.
Well the mouse also made the game piss easy. Completely broke the difficulty curve.

Max

I am not Max
Nevermind I found that I can switch around the triggers in motioninjoy while emulating the 360 controller so I can use the R1/L1 rather than R2/L2 :)

seady

I didn't really like the first one (repetitive enemies and environments, lame story, forgettable characters, not scary), hopefully I will like this one better.

The Uncharted to Uncharted 2 comparison gets me excited though.

Already, somebody answer this for me:

I'm doing the |OT| (I'm actually done most of it, surprisingly enough), but I was wondering whether I can post it tomorrow or if I have to wait until Tuesday.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

I'm doing the |OT| (I'm actually done most of it, surprisingly enough), but I was wondering whether I can post it tomorrow or if I have to wait until Tuesday.

I'm guessing Tuesday as the LBP2 thread was posted last Tuesday.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

I would do it on tuesday to be safe.

Luthos

Preordered my PS3 version a couple weeks ago. I'm officially getting pumped for it now.

In fact I may replay the first this coming week. Still need to do One Gun and the hardest difficulty trophies. Might do both of them in one run through.

Top Bottom