• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Review Thread

Daigoro said:
multiplayer. ug.

It's actually not too bad, nothing amazingly special, like a watered down left 4 dead which still ends up being pretty fun, as always you don't have to play the multi if you don't want to.

Bossman

seady said:
Has there ever been a "world first review" that isn't glowing?

Those are rare because most companies demand a score of 8 or higher in exchange for these exclusive reviews.

Varth

Nirolak said:
There's a recap video at the beginning I believe.

Though, Dead Space 1 is $6.80 on Steam right now.

It's a separate option. And yes, the New Game + option is in the menu, IIRC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PjotrStroganov said:
Lengthy. With the same carrot on a stick mission structure of part one that wouldn't be a good thing.
They're made a large deal about getting rid of the "you get bossed around" mission structure.

Majmun

Daigoro said:
multiplayer. ug.

I was in the same bandwagen until Uncharted 2 arrived. The addition of a multiplayer mode doesn't always mean that the singleplayer mode will suck.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Awesome saucesome. The point about it being a lengthy game is just all the better.

An-Det

Good shit. I'm definitely tempted to pick it up at launch, since the first is excellent and I loved the demo for 2.

Nirolak said:
They're made a large deal about getting rid of the "you get bossed around" mission structure.

I really enjoyed the first but the mission structure was wearing thin and the action was becoming too much of a focal point. I'm a little hesitant because all the trailers show is killing shit. Hyped all the same though.

Hot. I'm so glad to hear it described as 'lengthy.' Let's hope the bosses don't have any big glowing weak points this time.

Nirolak said:

"Issac we need you to push that button over there"

"GOD DAMMIT ISSAC WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!"

No wonder the guy went insane.

Lard said:
Pointless multiplayer shoehorned in to sell dlc map packs?

WHAT A GAME! 9.5!

dude, you couldn't be more wrong about the multiplayer. It was great in the beta and I can't wait to get my hands on the full game with more maps and weapons.

Irish

Clay Davis said:
dude, you couldn't be more wrong about the multiplayer. It was great in the beta and I can't wait to get my hands on the full game with more maps and weapons.

Lol, don't respond to Lard. He's a giant troll that hasn't played Uncharted 2 just because it has MP in it.

Anyway, am I the only person interested in this game because of the Multiplayer? I mean, the beta was great because the more skilled team always won. Always. Both sides were pretty damn balanced.

Of course, I liked what I played of the DS intro, I just need to finish the game. :p

JonnyBrad

Have they said anything about how scary this one is. The first one was perfect. Like playing the first Alien movie. Scary as hell. I heard this one was going to be more action focused? I can get my action elsewhere :(

Lard

Banned
Clay Davis said:

I played the beta on the PS3. It sucked. I am not wrong.

FullMetal said:
"Issac we need you to push that button over there"
:lol That became a constant source of laughs for me and my wife

"We might be able to escape if I activate the..........shit it's offline! Issac I need you to go halfway across the ship and activate it MANUALLY."

Since I haven't been following the details of this too much I have two questions. When they say multiplayer do they mean Co-op? Also I seem to remember hearing something about PS Move support, is that true and does that mean I could have an RE4Wii type experience?

First reviews do nothing more than, at best, set the highest possible ceiling of expectations. At worst, and most typically, they are nonsense.

Still...regardless of this review...I'm really looking forward to Dead Space 2

Yackie

I can't wait. No thank you to the multiplayer, but I'm looking forward to the rest. I hope its scarier than the first.

PooBone

Irish said:
Lol, don't respond to Lard. He's a giant troll that hasn't played Uncharted 2 just because it has MP in it.

Anyway, am I the only person interested in this game because of the Multiplayer? I mean, the beta was great because the more skilled team always won. Always. Both sides were pretty damn balanced.

Of course, I liked what I played of the DS intro, I just need to finish the game. :p
LOL, I loved UC2, never even tried the MP though.

I don't have a problem with devs putting multiplayer into primarily single player games as long as there isn't multiplayer focused achievements or trophies. I'm actually more likely to keep a game if there's a high likelihood that I'll eventually get 1000gs or a platinum trophy in it.

What's the story with Dead Space 2's achievements?

Lard

Banned
Irish said:

Listen asshat, when I can find it for less than $20 used, I'll play it.

Lard said:
Pointless multiplayer shoehorned in to sell dlc map packs?

WHAT A GAME! 9.5!
From what little I played of the beta, the multiplayer is actually pretty fun as long as you're playing with folks who know what they're doing. Gameplay modes are implemented well.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think the addition of MP means anything, it's a choice of include MP, or don't make the game with EA at the moment. I don't think 'unless' MP means the single player will be negatively affected at all.

I have never logged on to Metal Gear Online, RDR Online or Uncharted 2 online and I was completely happy with my purchases and didn't feel as though the inclusion of MP compromised the SP at all.

todahawk

Lard said:
I played the beta on the PS3. It sucked. I am not wrong.

Could you be any more wrong?!?

I played the beta a shit-ton and loved it. It's like L4D in space with a splash of Aliens. Too much fun.

Irish

Lard said:
Listen asshat, when I can find it for less than $20 used, I'll play it.

:p

From what little I played of the beta, the multiplayer is actually pretty fun as long as you're playing with folks who know what they're doing. Gameplay modes are implemented well.

Yeah, I think too many people may have gotten stuck with terrible players. That can really hurt the experience because teamwork is absolutely necessary to the game.

Lard

Banned
greenjerk said:
Could you be any more wrong?!?

I played the beta a shit-ton and loved it. It's like L4D in space with a splash of Aliens. Too much fun.

No, actually it's impossible for me to be wrong. Particularly about shitty, pointless multiplayer - especially when I've tried it.

Lard, given the weird irrational hate you seem to have for multiplayer (especially in sequels to games that didn't have MP) I think it's fair to say that you don't have the most reliable opinion as far as multiplayer is concerned. IIRC, you've said that you enjoyed Uncharted 1 and I imagine that you probably spent more than $20 on it. The consensus is that Uncharted 2 is a better single-player game than Drake's Fortune but for some reason you've got a stick up your ass because they added something completely optional that was no detriment to the single-player making it somehow worth less.

Most annoyingly you drag this crap into things that you don't have a fucking clue about. I think I've seen you bitch about the Autolog in Hot Pursuit without understanding what it is and you said that you were considering not getting Dragon Age 1 when someone mentioned it having a completely optional and unintrusive social networking feature. And I don't think I've seen you post anything about Dead Space 2 that wasn't you whining about the inclusion of multiplayer.

electroshockwave said:
Lard, given the weird irrational hate you seem to have for multiplayer (especially in sequels to games that didn't have MP) I think it's fair to say that you don't have the most reliable opinion as far as multiplayer is concerned. IIRC, you've said that you enjoyed Uncharted 1 and I imagine that you probably spent more than $20 on it. The consensus is that Uncharted 2 is a better single-player game than Drake's Fortune but for some reason you've got a stick up your ass because they added something completely optional that was no detriment to the single-player making it somehow worth less.

Most annoyingly you drag this crap into things that you don't have a fucking clue about. I think I've seen you bitch about the Autolog in Hot Pursuit without understanding what it is and you said that you were considering not getting Dragon Age 1 when someone mentioned it having a completely optional and unintrusive social networking feature. And I don't think I've seen you post anything about Dead Space 2 that wasn't you whining about the inclusion of multiplayer.

I completely support this opinion.

:lol Awesome

codecow

Why did they put multiplayer? Thats* rediculous* and to whomever did it your* terrible.

As for achievements/trophies I think you'll be pleased.

* [sic]

Top Bottom