• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Review Thread [Up: Embargo Up]

Quentyn

They already have DLC lined up for next month. Shame that the darkest chapters of the franchise didn't make it in the full game...

EA has announced Dead Space 3's first DLC content pack, called Awakened.

Awakened, which launches in March for 800 Microsoft points on Xbox 360 and $9.99 on PlayStation Network and PC, features the franchise's "darkest chapters as the Necromorph battles become even more gruesome and terrifying than ever before", EA said.

"In Dead Space 3 Awakened, gamers will experience some of the most disturbing content they have ever seen in a Dead Space game," added Steve Papoutsis, boss of developer Visceral Games. "They are going to love it."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ut-next-month-has-franchises-darkest-chapters

The people working at Vigil tried to calm us after the E3 reveal but we could tell what was really happening with the series...probably won't bother with this one.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh, this is what I kind of feared.

They tried to keep everything up to par with gaming trends and in the process seem to have ditched the atmospheric horror for more set pieces, loss of control jump/movement scares, and trying to shoehorn drama with Ellie to replace Nicole in order make the player care about what happens to her.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure Visceral got locked into a bit of a corner when they kept Ellie alive at the end of DS2, but just introducing her as Isaac's ex and her new BF just happens to be one of the crew on the ship that Isaac is sent to just seems so....arbitrary.

This is such bullshit, games are NOT more simplistic than they used to be. Name me a top-selling title from last gen in the action/TPS genre that was so much "deeper"?

Realistically, the most direct inspiration for the DS franchise is RE4, a game that is full of set-pieces and QTE's, and has no more depth to its systems or characters or story than any of the DS games.

it was released almost 10 years too, DS3 is supposed to be released today.

Different time, different standards.

The people working at Vigil tried to calm us after the E3 reveal but we could tell what was really happening with the series...probably won't bother with this one.

Studio name mix-up aside, this kind of stuff needs to stop. I'll never forget when people groaned after one of the Need for Speed games had an on-foot mode and the dev's response was "No don't worry it's not for that long!" Then Splinter Cell and every footage of "No guys really stealth here totally!"

Wanny

Honestly, the game kinda deserves those reviews... I think they should go look back at Dead Space 1 and rediscover what made it so good.

It's okay Visceral. I have good trusts in you, but ffs, I do think that you should say a bit more of fuck yous to big EA boss when they ask for ridiculous things for your games.

so essentially this game is to dead space 1 as RE5 was to RE4.

still decent, but overemphasis on action over horror and suspense, and shoehorned in multiplayer no one asked for. probably worth buying but not at 60.

AkuMifune

Banned
Distant hopes of a pleasant surprise melt into the realities of another great IP driven into the dirt.

I can't think of one fucking franchise that got better, not worse over the course of the generation. All of the first games would be the peak, all the promise greedily squandered. Fuck games sometimes.

Still gonna get it, just wish we weren't so right from the jump on this one.

jdl

Banned
Distant hopes of a pleasant surprise melt into the realities of another great IP driven into the dirt.

I can't think of one fucking franchise that got better, not worse over the course of the generation. All of the first games would be the peak, all the promise greedily squandered. Fuck games sometimes.

Still gonna get it, just wish we weren't so right from the jump on this one.

the solution to your problem is to stop buying sequels.

AkuMifune

Banned
the solution to your problem is to stop buying sequels.
I have. I gamefly them.

But really, the solution is for them to realize the franchise would make more money in the long run if they left the development of the game up to the developer.

RoKKeR

Regardless of the reviews, I'm still pumped to play the game. I have a friend that I'm going to play co-op with and we had a blast running trough the demo. With the weapon bench and various modes I think I'll get a lot of playability out of this title.

I tend to look for reasons to enjoy games, not tear them down.

Curufinwe

I'm quite sure he likes all the games he gives 9 or over to. But there is an incongruity to doing that as often as he does, while also touting himself as being one of the harsher reviewers out there.

has anybody reported differences between console versions?

DS1 was a bit better on 360
DS2 was even visually but 7.1 audio and DS extraction put me in the ps3 camp.

I got DS2 on the PS3 since it came with Extraction for free.

highrider

Banned
Regardless of the reviews, I'm still pumped to play the game. I have a friend that I'm going to play co-op with and we had a blast running trough the demo. With the weapon bench and various modes I think I'll get a lot of playability out of this title.

I tend to look for reasons to enjoy games, not tear them down.

Vire

About what I expected unfortunately. A mixed spattering...

I'll be waiting till bargain bin prices on this one. And this is coming from a big Dead Space fan. :(

Too many other potentially great games around the corner.

The story is truly awful. There are several exposition scenes in the later chapters that are just poor.

The gameplay is solid though. Level design and item management not on par with DS1, DS2.

Looks like it'll land at 80% on MC. I called it!

nbthedude

I liked the first two Dead Space games a lot, but I was already leaning heavily towards passing due to it not being on Steam and not being terribly interested in what I was seeing of the direction.

I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook this morning and that confirmed my lack of interest. Actually, though, it isn't for the reason a lot of people seem to be expressing. I am not upset about a more action oriented game. I just watched 30 minutes of gameplay footage and I had a hardtime telilng the difference between the aesthetic and gameplay of the previous two games which I already played for around 20 hours each. It looks far too similar and I don't particularly feel the need to play that game again.

Dysun

Nervous to see the mixed reactions so far, I loved both DS1 and 2, they were some of my favorite games this gen.
Will give DS3 a try later today

nbthedude

Did you consider the fact that he might actually...like the game?

Shocking, I know.

I don't know, man. I know he doesn't gel with me. He frequently does shit on games that get good coverage after the fact. But he himself has admitted that he has somewhat of a contrarian streak as far as that kind of thing is concerned. Most recently with Walking Dead.

Personally I just know I find it hard to take seriously anything he writes after that hyperbolic Diablo 3 review. And yes, I know I am "that guy" for bringing up a now nearly 1 year old review but my assessment of that game was just so radically different that I can't help but think about it every time he reviews a game. Diablo 3 bored the ever living fuck out of me when it wasn't being used as a virtual chat room with friends. I found it as rote and paint by numbers as a sequel could be in most respects and yet he literally painted it as a new watermark in the genre by which games would be measured for years to come. Meanwhile I thought it had absolutely no creative vision and was completely soulless.

The most frustrating thing I find about Gies is the pretension with which he states his opinions as if they are objective fact. He will say things like game are "mechanically unsound" as if there is a dictionary definition of what that term actually means.

I have tried to pinpoint what causes the disparity between many mainstream reviewers and my own assesment so I could better use them as a tool to judge what I would think about a game. For a while, I thought it was simply AAA bias and their willingness to automatically give a pass for establish franchises. I still think that is somewhat of a problem but I'm not even sure that pinpoints it for me. I think it is also part of the fact that the environment within which they play games means that mechanics that are familiar to them immediately automatically get an advantage. FPS games that play like FPS games become a comfy fit that they can blow through in a weekend, so what for them is a nice smooth weekend ride toward a review, for me is a bored-out-of-my-mind-I've-played this-a-thousand-times-before experience. Everybody likes things that makes their job easier, but I don't play videogames as a job.

These days I find venues like Idle Thumbs and GB quicklooks give me the best idea of what I should check out.

padlock

By the sounds of it, Dead space now has it's own shit mountain. I hope the sales reflect this.

Maybe EA will eventually learn that 'broadaning the appeal' of every one of their franchises is not in their best interestet. I don't hold much hope though.

Lime

lol Polygon and Arthur Gies, another 9 or 10 to a AAA blockbuster game. This seems to be a common trend for them.

This game always looked like a 7/10 to me. Looks far from terrible. I still need to play the first two!

ironically if you haven't played 1 or 2 you'll likely enjoy 3 more, since it can be enjoyed on it's own merits and not by how it departs thematically from 1 and 2

Animator

I don't see how anyone can call DS3 bad. I am probably the biggest DS1 fan there is, didn't like 2 as much but this one has great lenght, great environments and some really fun moments.

I can't praise Visceral enough for not shoehorning a AI Coop character in the single player like RE5 did. Single player feels like single player.

Basically it reads like IF the game scared the reviewer, that they love it and if it didn't then it gets 7/10. Which all seems fair enough.

sixghost

It's practically the same game but it a different setting.

It really wasn't. Dead Space 2 was far more reliant on jump scares, lost the feeling of complete isolation, had more sections that were nothing but "shoot a bunch of guys for a couple of minutes", more ultra scripted moments, more QTEs, tried to flesh out a silent protagonist, and was more focused on a really uninteresting story.

Is anyone even reading the reviews on here or are they just looking at the numbers? Most of the scores are down due to the game being boring and a sub-par story. They also didn't like that the game wasn't pure horror or pure action (why does it have to be one or the other again?).

Hell, I believe the review that gave the game a 5 said that there should have been more Unitologist shootouts.

well looks like it'll be the lowest scoring of the 3 games thus far

wonder how that affects the future of the series and sales...

Draft

well looks like it'll be the lowest scoring of the 3 games thus far

wonder how that affects the future of the series and sales...
Based on what we know about publishers and Metacritic I don't think anyone at Visceral is expecting a bonus.

nbthedude

Is anyone even reading the reviews on here or are they just looking at the numbers? Most of the scores are down due to the game being boring and a sub-par story. They also didn't like that the game wasn't pure horror or pure action (why does it have to be one or the other again?).

Hell, I believe the review that gave the game a 5 said that there should have been more Unitologist shootouts.

I watched the GB quicklook and it indeed looked very boring.

I really did like DS1

disenchanted with the series now though.

I'd probably prefer a change of direction and let it simmer for a little bit and revamp on next-gen systems in 3 years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EA was really pleased with the preorders. Still, I wonder if we get a Peter Moore quote again.

If they're happy we'll have a press release about how much they shipped within two weeks.

Otherwise they will wait for the fiscal call in May and hope to accumulate as much as possible before sharing.

Top Bottom