• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space review embargo?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'd say it's on launch day.

I'm waiting for performance info. Thinking about buying PC version since PS5 copy will be around 8K RUB - fuck that 24/7.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This lead-up reminds me of when everyone pretended the Mass Effect trilogy remaster was some sort of offensive travesty with no noticeable upgrades.

Granted one is a remake and one is a remaster, but the ire seems a bit similar.

BbMajor7th

I really don’t understand why they made her less traditionally attractive. Inclusivity? Virtue signaling? We don’t play games for realism, that’s not a good argument. No one went to see Top Gun: Maverick because every 60 year old man who’s in the Navy looks like Tom Cruise, and people were appreciative of that fact.
I think it fits the grittier mining colony ship setting better. And it's probably more on trend for 2023 - no denying that it would play factor. I'd be angry, but you know for a fact back in 2007, if the true vision had been someone who looked more like Sarah Conner, someone on the publishing side would have said 'nah, that won't sell, make her younger and prettier'.

MaKTaiL

This lead-up reminds me of when everyone pretended the Mass Effect trilogy remaster was some sort of offensive travesty with no noticeable upgrades.

Mass Effect 1 had a few changes to its gameplay to be more in-line with the sequels, changes to lighting solution, HDR, improved character models and textures, so I would consider it a small remake of sorts.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really don’t understand why they made her less traditionally attractive. Inclusivity? Virtue signaling? We don’t play games for realism, that’s not a good argument. No one went to see Top Gun: Maverick because every 60 year old man who’s in the Navy looks like Tom Cruise, and people were appreciative of that fact.
Same way Japanese developers like makes character attractive, western developers for most case they go for "realism" which will they try to make them look old and beat up.

This is even the case when Japanese games do have more realistic graphics, they still make their characters look attractive.
intro-1563833911.jpg

Compare to western games, when graphics improves they always try to make the characters look old and beat up for sake of realism.
9d3cfa59ee9a24805593faa34a0a5c8d.jpg

Its just different philosophy how both Japanese and western developers like design their characters.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Same way Japanese developers like makes character attractive, western developers for most case they go for "realism" which will they try to make them look old and beat up.

This is even the case when Japanese games do have more realistic graphics, they still make their characters look attractive.
intro-1563833911.jpg

Compare to western games, when graphics improves they always try to make the characters look old and beat up for sake of realism.

Its just different philosophy how both Japanese and western developers like design their characters.
I’ve noticed the trend as well. Give me TIFA from FF7 remake any day over Aloy from Horizon.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember this was big deal for another game, no one seems bothered with this having such a late embargo.
Maybe because it's a Remake ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

semiconscious

Gold Member

the truth? considering that both mass effect & dead space were released in 2008, i'd've far preferred a remastered dead space trilogy to what we're getting...

Edder1

It's Gunner Wright's face. This is the guy who voiced Dead space 2/3 and this remake.
That's funny because the new model looks nothing like Gunner Wright, the original games did him more justice.The new model looks like some happy go lucky guy who seems way too laid back for someone who's dealing with situation at hand. There's probably a reason why there are so many comparisons of new model to Adam Sandler, because that's who he actually looks like (hence the whole happy go lucky look lol). Gunner Wright in no way shape or form looks like Adam Sandler.

dI1nreZ.jpg

Last edited:

k_trout

I wonder if its a 1 to 1 remake or more like Black mesa, not sure a coat of paint is enough to pull me back in

bender

What time is it?
People focusing on the face and ignoring all the good upgrades they made to the game is never gonna be not funny.

At face value, this change might seem insignificant, but let's face it, Isaac didn't need a facelift and I think the update is a slap in the face. The negative reactions are justified and EA has egg on their face. Hopefully the game sells fall flat on their face. Now EA could save face by patching Isaac to something more akin to his original model but I'm not going to hold my breath and turn blue in the face waiting for that to happen as we must face the fact that EA isn't willing to face the music to the negative reception. The change is also a slap in the face to the Visceral Games who they shuttered when times were rough rather than meeting with them face to face and now remaking their finest works seems like that decision was a move that cut of their nose despite their face.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
At face value, this change might seem insignificant, but let's face it, Isaac didn't need a facelift and I think the update is a slap in the face. The negative reactions are justified and EA has egg on their face. Hopefully the game sells fall flat on their face. Now EA could save face by patching Isaac to something more akin to his original model but I'm not going to hold my breath and turn blue in the face waiting for that to happen as we must face the fact that EA isn't willing to face the music to the negative reception. The change is also a slap in the face to the Visceral Games who they shuttered when times were rough rather than meeting with them face to face and now remaking their finest works seems like that decision was a move that cut of their nose despite their face.
Is this a parody post?

Braag

Mass Effect 1 had a few changes to its gameplay to be more in-line with the sequels, changes to lighting solution, HDR, improved character models and textures, so I would consider it a small remake of sorts.
I consider remake to be more like remaking the game ground up on a new engine and even changing the game structure to be more modern. Like Dead Space, RE2 and Mafia.
Remasters improve the game but don't recreate the entire game from ground up.
But that's just how I see it, these terms can be interpreted differently.

MaKTaiL

I consider remake to be more like remaking the game ground up on a new engine and even changing the game structure to be more modern. Like Dead Space, RE2 and Mafia.
Remasters improve the game but don't recreate the entire game from ground up.
But that's just how I see it, these terms can be interpreted differently.
Yeah, I share your view. That's why I don't consider Last of Us Part 1 a remake but a glorified remaster.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t get how EA goes and hires a “community team” and this team was ok with the MC face change. That’s not a community team. That’s a team not in touch with their own community.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don’t get how EA goes and hires a “community team” and this team was ok with the MC face change. That’s not a community team. That’s a team not in touch with their own community.

Am I not part of the "community" if I've bought and played the previous games but couldn't give a shiny shit about Isaac's face?

That's the wife? Supposed to be late 30s?

As a late 30s dude with a late 30s wife and many late 30s friends, that's definitely not the look of a woman in her late 30s.

Selene from Returnal is supposed to be in her late 50s during the game, and this woman doesn't look younger than Selene.
Same here. I'm about to hit 40. My wife is a couple years younger. Most of our close friends range from 35 to 42 and no one looks like this. Jesus Christ. Late 50s is way more accurate.

Last edited:

Hugare

intro-1563833911.jpg

One is an almost 50's woman that have lived for 20 years during the apocalypse, and the other is an early 20's corporate spy

I know what you are trying to say, but this comparison wasnt really great, to say the least

Lara from Tomb Raider is made by a western company. And if you think that her character model is ugly, you must be insane.

Last edited:
1674723329840591.jpg

Gaming "critics" are going to be delighted by these pussy features. Playing a horror game without the horror. Truly amazing. The future of gaming is very bright indeed.

NewJohn

Neo Member
1674723329840591.jpg

Gaming "critics" are going to be delighted by these pussy features. Playing a horror game without the horror. Truly amazing. The future of gaming is very bright indeed.
I am not sure what you are talking about but if those features are options that you can easily just not turn on, isn't that OK?

I am not sure what you are talking about but if those features are options that you can easily just not turn on, isn't that OK?

Why would you buy a horror game to play without the horror? When you watch a horror movie, do you skip the horror/scary parts? Its idiotic. You cant change my mind. Accessibility has nothing to do with it. And yes, you can just avoid those settings, but why do they even exist except to cater to some idiotic audience? Their mere existence triggers me.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

That's the wife? Supposed to be late 30s?

As a late 30s dude with a late 30s wife and many late 30s friends, that's definitely not the look of a woman in her late 30s.

Selene from Returnal is supposed to be in her late 50s during the game, and this woman doesn't look younger than Selene.
The actress she's modelled on, Tanya Clarke (who voiced her in 2+3) is in her fifties now. When the games where made she was in her late 30s. She looks amazing for 51, don't get me wrong, but go check her out: deep laughter lines, crow's feet, under eye wrinkles.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why would you buy a horror game to play without the horror? When you watch a horror movie, do you skip the horror/scary parts? Its idiotic. You cant change my mind. Accessibility has nothing to do with it. And yes, you can just avoid those settings, but why do they even exist except to cater to some idiotic audience? Their mere existence triggers me.

No really, what have I missed? Am I being blind, I can't see anything about turning the horror off.

No really, what have I missed? Am I being blind, I can't see anything about turning the horror off.

Theres two settings, one warns you about "disturbing scenes" which is what, the entire fucking game? and the other disable them? It disables what, all the cutscenes, all the death animations, all the gory stuff? Might as well just walk the entire game shooting at friendly spiders, remove all blood, and have a happy ending setting.

AV

Theres two settings, one warns you about "disturbing scenes" which is what, the entire fucking game? and the other disable them? It disables what, all the cutscenes, all the death animations, all the gory stuff? Might as well just walk the entire game shooting at friendly spiders, remove all blood, and have a happy ending setting.

Oh, where did you see that? I can't find a thing anywhere.

I guess Call of Duty was already doing that 14 years ago and it felt more like a marketing ploy than anything. Maybe that's different when it's a more realistic scenario. Give me a toggle that makes it scarier.

Skifi28

Gold Member
If people want to, they should be able to. Nothing wrong with options, if you don't like them don't use them. You're just whining for the sake of whining.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Am I not part of the "community" if I've bought and played the previous games but couldn't give a shiny shit about Isaac's face?
What I’m getting at is changing an iconic face and thinking that everyone who loves this franchise will be onboard with it. We all saw what that did with Dante and DmC.

If people want to, they should be able to
Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

I've heard that a million times. "Nothing wrong with having microtransactions in games, just dont buy them" and so on and so forth. None of you have answered me properly tho, why would you purchase a horror game and disable the horror aspects of it? Give me one good reason. Do you buy a platformer if you can disable the platforming?

Hugare

Maybe MOTIVE matched the actress look to the ingame character, just like they did with Isaac?

No, its the western developers who want to make games with ugly women.

Isaac voice actor aged better than Tanya Clarke, thats why (before quoting me with some Google images where she looks hot, try to find a photo with no make up and from 2022-2023)

Top Bottom