• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |PC OT| Do you remember what the coffee said?

Spoo

Was excited to play this, but it just keeps crashing right as *any* cutscene starts (I can skip them and it will work but then what's the fucking point?)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone getting this bug? Just started and tried to look at the map in the menus. The game gets stuck when I press the mission button on the map screen.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Premonition, ladies and gentlemen.

Lol. Still happening after the opening controllable sequence. Guess I'll just not use the map now. Or at least not press the E button when looking at it.

I still prefer the Japanese name it had, Red Seeds Profile :p

The game is so damn broken right now. The movies are stuttering like hell for me. The game runs with 60fps. And it crashed after i tried to draw my weapon.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is it worth ditching my ps3 playthrough to play this version? low framerate but haven't come across a single crash yet.

I'd say wait a few days, I have this feeling that there's going to be a patch to fix some things in a few days. If that happens and a few things worked out this will definitely be the best version of the game. At the moment there are some pretty big bugs from people have said, but if those are sorted this game does have better frame rate and resolution than PC and it does come along with all the DLC as well as a few new costumes.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Restarting my PC helped with the bugs I was getting. No more missing map screens nor items being stuck in the toolbox. Framerate is ok :)

Haven't tried Durante's fix yet though.

1a159af1794f99be476c622ce685e4c513a5b59a.jpg

One of the trading cards is actually Swery.

After four hours this weekend I'm in Chapter 1, about to check on some leads in town after the hospital visit. Mother of dog this is such a wonderful game. I'm so glad I went into this knowing nothing but its comparisons. Mostly reminds me of PS1/PS2 survival horror games THAT I LOVE, completely broken and extravagant dialog mixed with surprisingly creepy subject matter. It may be odd and sometimes cheeky, but it's still disturbing and the
crime and profiling
are truly soap operaish fucked up.

Love it, jank and all. It's like the Silent Hill/RE1/Dino Crisis cousin we never got this gen, and sometimes I feel that same rush and revel. Maybe in another timeline it is a Silent Hill release.

Either way, Durante made it worth purchasing, that's fer sure, the controller reacharound works magic.

I'm also very glad to have met Zach.

Mohasus

I've played the prologue but didn't explore much. Is there a point to it? I mean, are there cool things to find or just more ammo/trading cards/agent points?

Jackpot

Banned
I'm up to Episode 2 where you have to trail [suspect] in your car and the game crashes after talking to Emily in the shed behind the Art Gallery. Other users have had this problem too. Game is unmodified. Tried running in 98 compat mode and pressing Alt. Anyone know a workaround?

This game is truly one of a kind, I can't explain why but even if objectively the game has a lot of bad design choices or just lacks polish, as a whole I find it entertaining enough to keep playing.
I'm also kinda surprised by how much of a dick York is, but I think I like him for that.
Oh and a couple of questions :
1) Does the gun store get new guns as you progress in the game ? I'm currently looking to get the shotgun and the sheriff custom but they aren't for sale
2) I heard you can get York's car repaired by doing a bunch of side quests, is worth it or is it as much of a piece of crap as every other car in the game ?
3) Where can I get dat suit.

Thanks !
I'm up to Episode 2 where you have to trail [suspect] in your car and the game crashes after talking to Emily in the shed behind the Art Gallery. Other users have had this problem too. Game is unmodified. Tried running in 98 compat mode and pressing Alt. Anyone know a workaround?

I'm getting there soon, I'll let you know if something happens and if not I can try to give you the save file just after that.

s_mirage

One of two things fixed this for me:

1: There's a save point outside of the gallery. Use it.
2: Download CFF Explorer and use it on dp.exe to set the "large address aware" flag to on.

I suspect saving is what actually allowed me to pass.

Taruranto

Ok just got to the hospital.

The beginning section was honestly, quite horrible. It felt like a bad linear shooter with ridicule psychic and not-scary monsters.

But once you get to the town... wow, the game completely pulls a 180°. This is what Alan Wake should have been, instead of that turd on rail. Granted, the lack of polish and gameplay problems are obvious as soon you leave the Hotel, but it's such a fun (and the mystery is intriguing) and semi-innovative concept.

Now, my only problem is, I'm not sure "how" to play this. I explored a lot of the town, talked to the NPC...but everything is such spread out that this game becomes my OCD's worst nightmare. Couple with the clumsy movements, I can see it derailing my enjoyment of the game a lot.

Am I suppose to talk with every NPC every chapter? And is there a way to open the whole map without having to go through the inventory every time?

Finished Chapter 1 last night, game is now in my permanent love category. It's kind of like Katamari Damacy in the sense that I really don't know how to explain why, it just is. It's also either very cool or very sad that I know and love all of the movies York has discussed so far.

I no longer believe the lies of card icons on the map. I have no idea who the killer is.

Now, my only problem is, I'm not sure "how" to play this. I explored a lot of the town, talked to the NPC...but everything is such spread out that this game becomes my OCD's worst nightmare. Couple with the clumsy movements, I can see it derailing my enjoyment of the game a lot.

Am I suppose to talk with every NPC every chapter? And is there a way to open the whole map without having to go through the inventory every time?
I also had a little trouble with this in the beginning as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but up until a certain point- a town hall meeting a few steps ahead of you- everything is technically open but very closed off in terms of access and things to do. Stay on the rails until the group meeting, talk to everyone at once, and then everything opens up without time limits in terms of pushing you further. I'm not exactly sure on this because where I am, I'm just setting out to start on leads.

And I'm so fucking excited because EVERY LEAD SOUNDS FUN. Some more so than others, but if it truly opens up and lets me start ransacking the town, I'll be in sugary heaven.

Either way, it's so wonderful. Like a bizarro Silent Hill/RE4 clone without the polish. Lub.

As much as I love this game, I can't play it anymore. I made it to Chapter 2 and I have given up. I have endured many crashes. I have played it windowed mode for the most part to avoid most of the crashes but still. I'm grateful for Durante and others trying to fix this game. However, I'm upset that the developers haven't patched this game yet.

The only thing I really want other than a stable release and graphics options is an optional waypoint marker so I can easily go off and do some side missions. I know it can get easier with the radio but still. A manual way point marker would greatly help unless I'm missing something.

I have resolved myself to watch a 100% let's play walkthrough of the original Xbox version
http://lparchive.org/Deadly-Premonition/

The only thing I really want other than a stable release and graphics options is an optional waypoint marker so I can easily go off and do some side missions. I know it can get easier with the radio but still. A manual way point marker would greatly help unless I'm missing something.
But isn't it so much better to have to memorize the map?

Jackpot

Banned
One of two things fixed this for me:

1: There's a save point outside of the gallery. Use it.
2: Download CFF Explorer and use it on dp.exe to set the "large address aware" flag to on.

I suspect saving is what actually allowed me to pass.

Thanks. That got it.

This is one of the few games I printed off a map for, but mostly out of excitement than frustration.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/943397-deadly-premonition/faqs/62398

Fits on a single A4 page fine. It's very handy to keep propped up by your monitor.

Thanks for this. This will come in handly. I will make sure to buy some flares.

You couldn't place waypoints in any decent Silent Hill game lookatyourusernamedon'tbetraythefaith

However, the map on Silent Hill was alot better, IMO. Plus, you were walking all over the place.

Well, finished the game just a minute ago, I really liked it despite a lot of tediousness (mostly due to driving and everything related to menus/in-game transitions). By the way, use this as it will save you a lot of time :
-When you're loading the outside world/loading your save : press alt (this will pause the game) and wait for the "now loading" animation to stop, press alt again after ~2-3 seconds (if this worked the loading animation will be all sped up). If that you were loading your save for the first time, you saved yourself 1-2 minutes of your life, congrats ! This doesn't work with the fast travel loading, I suspect this is because it must play the engine sound first.
-Press E to skip the door opening between areas, if this is just a regular door make sure you open it while running.
-Press escape to skip the "you have found x" screen and getting in/out of a car.
-I suggest you do the side quest n°5 as soon as possible, you can even look a guide to know when to do it, the reward is one of the most useful items in the game and the quest itself isn't "spoilery" at all (ie. you learn nothing about the characters or the town).

Now I got some unanswered concerns about the game and the ending (obviously don't read if you haven't finished the game).
I kinda liked the ending however I was a bit surprised by the fact that almost everything had a rational explanation. It reminds me a bit of Hotline Miami's secret ending (which I don't consider to be the real ending but that only because the interpretation of the game is really open). Now here's some things that are still a bit confused for me :

1) This is my biggest concern : what the fuck is the Other World ? (boss fights kinda included except Thomas')
There is absolutely no explanation about it in the game afaik and York and Emily shrug it off like nothing happened. At first I thought that York was insane since time doesn't flow in the Other World, York is only moved of when going in and out of it and most importantly nobody sees it except him. However near the end of the game Emily also ends up in the Other World so I don't know what the hell I am supposed to think.
Is this supposed to be the "paranormal"/mysterious side of the game, like something that isn't supposed to have a rational explanation or is there something I didn't get ?

2)From what I understand Kaysen is supposed to be immortal since he didn't age in 50 years (there's a photo of him that Zach notices when leaving the hotel for good), but I thought the red seeds immortality "legend" turned out to be bullshit.

3)Is Zach dead at the end of the game when he sees York and Emily in the diner ? Pretty sure he is since all the girls and Thomas and York are supposed to be in heaven or something, just want to confirm this. This means he died when Louise (or lil' Emily) went to get dinner right ?

4)Old Zach is actually Old Snake ?

Also, any word about a possible Deadly Premonition 2 ?

Thanks to anyone that might answer me !

Well, looked a bit on the internet to see if there was any fan site that answered my questions about DP and there is one indeed (major spoilers so obviously don't click if you haven't finished the game) :
http://planetredwood.webs.com/endgameqaspoilers.htm

I really feel like I missed a lot now that I have read that, I might just replay the ending to see
that cutscene where Kaysen mentions being from the Red Tree World, any idea as to how I can get it (or maybe just link me a video of it, saves me the ~20gb download :p) ? The site says it's optional.

I was a bit dissapointed by the fact that everything had a "rational" explanation but if you factor Kaysen and all the other dimensions stuff in, there's a lot more to the DP universe that it seems, I guess it's my fault for not being attentive enough.

But seriously though, Old Zach looks like Old Snake.

Soooo will I ever get any absolute free time to look into side quests and fishing and eating, or will the next quest item always enact a timer, and it's a race against the clock?

Example from Chapter 2: I met everyone at Chapter 1's end and they seem to have lots to say. The next morning, I have to go see the art gallery from 1300-1700. It's 1000. If I want to ever talk to all of those people, should I be ditching the deputies and going on my own to see people before the art gallery?

I've jettisoned the deputies and explored plenty, and time is slow so there really is no rush, but I was just wondering if there's declared free zones inside chapters to just go around with no time requirements.

Soooo will I ever get any absolute free time to look into side quests and fishing and eating, or will the next quest item always enact a timer, and it's a race against the clock?

Example from Chapter 2: I met everyone at Chapter 1's end and they seem to have lots to say. The next morning, I have to go see the art gallery from 1300-1700. It's 1000. If I want to ever talk to all of those people, should I be ditching the deputies and going on my own to see people before the art gallery?

I've jettisoned the deputies and explored plenty, and time is slow so there really is no rush, but I was just wondering if there's declared free zones inside chapters to just go around with no time requirements.

Even if the game asks you to do the objective between 13:00 and 17:00 you can still not show up until 2 in-game days or more. For example when you need to do a conference at the community center for the townfolks even if Emily and George really insist on you showing up you can still make them wait for 1 week, the only thing that matters is that you go between x and y.
If I remember correctly the only moments when you don't really have anything to do are at the end of episodes, you have to show up at the hotel whenever you feel like it to type your report (the limit shown is 00:00-00:00 but you can go type your report at any time).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's the super powered weapon you should find near the beginning of the game to make the combat a cakewalk? Anything to get through those parts faster.

What's the super powered weapon you should find near the beginning of the game to make the combat a cakewalk? Anything to get through those parts faster.

I don't know which weapon you're talking about so here's the ones you can get before chapter 10 :
-Starting chapter 2 you can do a few quests (2 or 3) that end up giving you an infinite melee weapon, I've never tested it though so I don't know if it's powerful or not.
-Starting chapter 6 you can buy a map at the Milk Barn, the reward is an infinite smg.
-Starting chapter 8 there 1 quest which gives you an infinite 357 magnum (powerful but low magazine and rate of fire) and 2 other ones which give you a flamethrower (haven't tested it).

Which one are you interested in ? I can tell you how to get it without spoiling too much if you want.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I read about it long ago, I swear it had something to do with finding a radio somewhere...

If we're talking about the same thing then
the radio is fast travel device, it doesn't help during the combat sections though.
I can't remember any other quest that involves a radio other than this one.

Parsnip

For most of the game I rolled with the
infinite (melee) guitar that you get from doing the milkbarn warehouse thing a couple of times.
It's powerful but slow, so keep that in mind. I played on 360 and the aiming was rather horrible, so it just made more sense to me to roll with melee.

Bittercup

That's probably the guitar but the recommendation is most likely based on the 360 version which has difficulty settings and a strong weapon makes sense to kill enemies easier.
The DC is already very easy but still tedious. I prefer the smg (the second weapon Robert J. Sullivan mentions). With that you can just run through the areas with auto aim and everything dies in seconds. The fastest way to get through those parts.

Taruranto

I'm kinda sad to say it, but I pretty much gave up on the game. I simply just Youtube'd the whole story.

I'm kinda mad as fuck with myself because DAMN, I WANT to love this game and in a sense I do, it's like everything I've been waiting for, a Silent Hill/Siren open-world game, it's interesting, original, full of heart... but the gameplay is simply not fun. It wouldn't be a problem if the game was short for example (Rule of Rose is one of my favorite SH and the gameplay is pretty bad, but the way the game is setup I can stand it), but the game is so huge and overwhelming, with so many things to do that the bad gameplay makes it really unplayable to me. I want to play it, I want to explore the town, meet the NPC, see the hidden places, but more I do... ugh.

So yeah, about the story. I probably shouldn't say much since I didn't get to experience the "full" product, but I really appreciated what they did. Greenvale is really an interesting micro-universe. Heavily reminded me of Forbidden Siren, The author created a complex mini-universe while leaving also space for fan to speculate, very good stuff.

I on the other hand just finished Chapter 2 and fucking LOVE THIS GAME. PC load times and all. Still chugging my way along, and I even think I'm close to getting that sweet sweet guitar. Don't tell me if I'm not.

The only thing that really bothered me was how fucking lame the
General
is. What a waste of the town meeting introduction. Oh well.

And I feel really strange but I'm tempted to make her wear the bunny costume in the first playthrough instead of waiting.

Gruso

Steam sale bump. I didn't think this question was worth a new thread.

I played a little bit of this on the 360. But I couldn't really deal with the controls, and I've been waiting to get the PC version to play with kb/m. But that's not working out so well. Ignoring the fact that they didn't even add mouse control to menus (I'd heard it was a rough port, but jeez) I can't get the invert setting to work.

I gather it needs to get to a save point to save the settings, so I've made sure to do that. But the setting won't take, no matter what. Has anyone had (and fixed) this problem? :(

Parsnip

There was that one patch where they added controller support, but I think that was it. And apparently that controller implementation is kind of not working for a bunch of people. Such a shame.

Top Bottom