• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

deadly premonition > heavy rain

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
viewtifulsub said:
Was Deadly Preomonition that low budget japanese title that based 90% of their game on Twin Peaks?

That's the one!

Stop It said:
Oh Drinky, you and your ban evasion, every single time you seem to be able to post with that tag, it's not fair I tells you!

Anyway, is this a record for the amount of people fooled by you in one thread?

Moving swiftly on, I am yet to play either game as yet and now you've got be exceptionally worried about Heavy Rain. Ah well, I'll find out when it appears on my LoveFilm rotation.

On the plus side, at least you've made me want to add Deadly Premonition to my LF queue, it sounds like some seriously kitsch fun, which I am always down for. "Foot in mouth" pic = severe win.

it's pretty awesome on the kitsch front. admittedly, i am a fan of c-list gaming, since it rarely tries to pretend that it has more to offer than what the developers ACTUALLY shoved on the disc, for good or ill, and sometimes the inexpert albeit strangely sincere meanderings of the c-lister are more charming and engaging than the smarmy, overthunk facades of the a-listers.

JWong

Banned
My undeniable facts will send you crawling!

Deadly Premonition Metacritic: 48
Heavy Rain Metacritic: 88

Did my undeniable facts deny your denied facts of deniability?

Tiktaalik

Heavy Rain was pretty great but the endings are pretty lackluster so even though I've never played Deadly Premonition I agree it's probably better.

:)

viewtifulsub said:
Was Deadly Preomonition that low budget japanese title that based 90% of their game on Twin Peaks?

Why was I not aware of this game until today? That sounds amazing. And the video on Destructoid seals the deal.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
JWong said:
My undeniable facts will send you crawling!

Deadly Premonition Metacritic: 48
Heavy Rain Metacritic: 88

Did my undeniable facts deny your denied facts of deniability?
Sony had more money to give out obviously.

Amir0x

Banned
Sipowicz said:
is it really that bad?

Drinky is doing his "giving attention to an opinion that'll rile people up" act, but the actual idea is probably sound. Heavy Rain is a curiosity, a very interesting experiment... but it's also a failed experiment, horribly flawed in basically every way. Worst of all, since the game is all plot and zero gameplay, the fact that it has a terribly written story and dialogue (coupled with atrocious voice acting) undermines the whole thing from the start.

Blah blah. Check the links i've provided in this topic for more detail

Haunted

TheGreatDave said:
Why was I not aware of this game until today? That sounds amazing. And the video on Destructoid seals the deal.
wtf?

Can't believe you really didn't know about it, that's like me not knowing about the next Red Dead game. :lol

LowParry

Amir0x said:
Drinky is doing his "giving attention to an opinion that'll rile people up" act, but the actual idea is probably sound. Heavy Rain is a curiosity, a very interesting experiment... but it's also a failed experiment, horribly flawed in basically every way. Worst of all, since the game is all plot and zero gameplay, the fact that it has a terribly written story and dialogue (coupled with atrocious voice acting) undermines the whole thing from the start.

But...but think of the children!

heavy rain, horrible uncanny valley character models and animation aside, DOES have some gorgeous environments and effects. there. i said something nice about it.

deadly premonition looks like the digital alchemy of cat vomit and a bladder infection. there. i said something bad about heavy rain's competition.

happy?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Drinky Crow said:
it's pretty awesome on the kitsch front. admittedly, i am a fan of c-list gaming, since it rarely tries to pretend that it has more to offer than what the developers ACTUALLY shoved on the disc, for good or ill, and sometimes the inexpert albeit strangely sincere meanderings of the c-lister are more charming and engaging than the smarmy, overthunk facades of the a-listers.
Well, that's enough for me, it's deserves at least a spin, so it's getting a place on my list (or at least, it will once LoveFilm realises the game exists!), Thanks for that.

Anyway, I'll be the first to admit that, when I was a...*ahem* newbie to GAF that Drinky actually made me want to throw bricks through the interweb at him, but I have to say his posting style in endearing after a while. At least one thing, he's consistent, which is more than I can say for 90% of people.
Drinky Crow said:
heavy rain, horrible uncanny valley character models and animation aside, DOES have some gorgeous environments and effects. there. i said something nice about it.

deadly premonition looks like the digital alchemy of cat vomit and a bladder infection. there. i said something bad about heavy rain's competition.

happy?
You do realise that to a large portion of GAF, (Usually the section claiming to be the "hardcore") Visuals > Everything else right? So basically you've just admitted that Heavy Rain is far superior to Dealy Premonition.

I think you better give it up now, you can't even argue your case properly, sorry. Oh, and you're banned.

TheGreatDave said:

Check the original trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos=fT1gGAbw2sw&v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Based was probably not the right term to use, rather complete ripping off instead. With the north west American town, lone charismatic fbi agent, murder clues on the victim's finger nails/mouth, the Red room/Black Lodge, The Man from Another Place, Julie Cruise clone, etc

viewtifulsub said:

Everything about that except the words 'low' 'budget' and 'Japanese' sound great.

Drinky Crow said:

happy?

Heavy Rain doesn't have F K in the Coffee, that is why it fails

Stop It said:
You do realise that to a large portion of GAF, (Usually the section claiming to be the "hardcore") Visuals > Everything else right? So basically you've just admitted that Heavy Rain is far superior to Dealy Premonition.

I think you better give it up now, you can't even argue your case properly, sorry. Oh, and you're banned.

JOKES ON YEW~!

Stop It said:
You do realise that to a large portion of "GAF", (Usually the section claiming to be the "hardcore") Visuals > Everything else right? So basically you've just admitted that Heavy Rain is far superior to Deadly Premonition.

i aim to give the people what they want!

Haunted

Discotheque said:
Everything about that except the words 'low' 'budget' and 'Japanese' sound great.
thatsracistgm751224856460.gif

Low budget games
are people, too.

DidntKnowJack said:
Yes, the insane hilarity of this thread went over my head. Boy do I feel dumb.

L2 +

[ ] Drinky Crow
X GAF memes
O internet anonymity?
/\ System warriors

rotate right analog stick in a upper half-circle to scratch your head bemusedly

press down on the right stick to close the thread

Stop It

ZombieSupaStar said:
Heavy Rain doesn't have F K in the Coffee, that is why it fails

JOKES ON YEW~!
Oh noes, he even posted after I said he was banned? I better do something. Where's the A-Team when you want them.
DidntKnowJack said:
Yes, the insane hilarity of this thread went over my head. Boy do I feel dumb.
Hilarity? Drinky is being deadly serious. It is really not his fault that half of the respondents to this thread clearly have no mind of their own and can't realise that not everyone likes "AAA" titles and the way they get a free pass to convey a lacklustre story (remember: opinion) because of it.

That, and the lulz over his tag aside, and you think that I called you out because you thought this was strictly a joke thread? Oh dear.
fernoca said:
:lol :lol
Love how the first replies are happy with Drinky getting banned.
It's a simple step by step process:

1: Check if thread is "trolling" a game/system they like
2: See if the person has been "banned" for said thread
3: Post the lulz.

Knowing who Drinky is doesn't come into this simple process.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
While Heavy Rain is undoubtedly a better game and probably experience, Deadly Premontion is a misunderstood piece of work. I'm sure that it will be considered a cult classic, one day. Sites like IGN simply missed the entire point.

Stop It said:
Oh noes, he even posted after I said he was banned? I better do something. Where's the A-Team when you want them.

Hilarity? Drinky is being deadly serious. It is really not his fault that half of the respondents to this thread clearly have no mind of their own and can't realise that not everyone likes "AAA" titles and the way they get a free pass to convey a lacklustre story (remember: opinion) because of it.

That, and the lulz over his tag aside, and you think that I called you out because you thought this was strictly a joke thread? Oh dear.

It's a simple step by step process:

1: Check if thread is "trolling" a game/system they like
2: See if the person has been "banned" for said thread
3: Post the lulz.

Knowing who Drinky is doesn't come into this simple process.

stop over analyzing, start wrestling! *initiates a bear hug*

bh.gif

viewtifulsub said:
Check the original trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos=fT1gGAbw2sw&v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Based was probably not the right term to use, rather complete ripping off instead. With the north west American town, lone charismatic fbi agent, murder clues on the victim's finger nails/mouth, the Red room/Black Lodge, The Man from Another Place, Julie Cruise clone, etc

Wow, that looks amazing. Shame it didn't come out like that!

:lol at the song at the end.

Haunted said:
wtf?

Can't believe you really didn't know about it, that's like me not knowing about the next Red Dead game. :lol

*shamed*

It's not even out in Europe, apparently, so all this has done is depress me.

Stop It

ZombieSupaStar said:
stop over analyzing, start wrestling! *initiates a bear hug*

bh.gif
ZombieSupaStar
beaten too hard
or not enough <3

Anyway, it may because it's nearly 1am, and I am a bit tired and cranky, but I am really starting to see why many oldies here are right cynical gits nowadays.
TheGreatDave said:

*shamed*

No it isn't, and that's made me very sad, as I am now very interested in the game. Boo! Hopefully Rising Star will get round to publishing it in Europe at some point.

Anyone know if the game is region locked? I'm sending it to another GAF member in Colorado to give it a try since he won't buy the game himself and maybe I'll send it to some others willing to try it.

TheGreatDave said:
*shamed*

eh those scenes are still in the final (well what ive seen of it so far, havent gotten far into it) and its more "bizarre funny wtf" than "broody silent hill" that the trailer shows.

but one scene does
have an autopsy that's a bit unsettling, but segues right into a mentos-like commercial feeling ending with the main character being like oh well lets get going *wink smile* attitude made me lol

randomwab

Mr_Guillotine said:
Anyone know if the game is region locked? I'm sending it to another GAF member in Colorado to give it a try since he won't buy the game himself and maybe I'll send it to some others willing to try it.

Yeah, it's Region Locked on the 360.

TheGreatDave said:

Aside from some rather superficial changes in names and appearances, all of that is in the final game. (The song used in the final is different, but similar in feel to what's in that early trailer.) DP is on both systems, yo. It is a very solid experience if you aren't some pretentious idiot out to claim an imagined and lofty sense of great taste in games ;) and amazing if you are willing to surrender yourself to the awesome within.

randomwab

MightyHedgehog said:
Aside from some rather superficial changes in names and appearances, all of that is the final game. (The song used in the final is different, but similar in feel to what's in that early trailer.) DP is on both systems, yo. It is a very solid experience if you aren't some pretentious idiot out to claim an imagined and lofty sense of great taste in games ;) and amazing if you are willing to surrender yourself to the awesome within.

Every time you post impressions, it kills me a little more. If they haven't announced a Euro release by the end of March, I'm importing the Japanese PS3 version. I need this game. Should tie in nicely with the Region 2 release of the Twin Peaks Gold box too. :D

MightyHedgehog said:
Aside from some rather superficial changes in names and appearances, all of that is in the final game. (The song used in the final is different, but similar in feel to what's in that early trailer.) DP is on both systems, yo. It is a very solid experience if you aren't some pretentious idiot out to claim an imagined and lofty sense of great taste in games ;) and amazing if you are willing to surrender yourself to the awesome within.

When (if?) it's out in Europe I'm all over it.

randomwab said:
Every time you post impressions, it kills me a little more. If they haven't announced a Euro release by the end of March, I'm importing the Japanese PS3 version. I need this game. Should tie in nicely with the Region 2 release of the Twin Peaks Gold box too. :D

Man, I'm glad I imported the US version years ago if it's not out in R2 yet.

randomwab

TheGreatDave said:
Man, I'm glad I imported the US version years ago if it's not out in R2 yet.

I think it hit some parts of Europe a while ago, but the UK release is this month. It's been years since I first watched season one, and I've rewatched it countless times since, but 'cause of the screwed up DVD release, I've never seen Season Two.

I'm so excited for "fresh" Twin Peaks. ;_;

Also; Deadly Premonition has a real time beard growing simulation. Just try and argue against any game with that, people!

Drinky Crow said:
deadly premonition lets me race cars and shoot darts out of a gun and talk to my imaginary pal

heavy rain lets me pretend-play as the world's stupidest dad with the world's ugliest family for a good hour before anything even faintly interesting happens

both have among the stupidest plots and dialogue ever penned in this industry, though

winner: deadly premonition

"Did you see that Zack?!...clear as a crisp spring morning...F K in the coffee! I knew I could count on it, It never fails"

If that's not the best line ever penned in this industry I don't know what it is!

taoofjord

I'm all for showering cheesy, quirky, crummy(but good games) with love but I'm not sure deadly premonition really deserves it. The quirky bits I've seen are really just a japanese uwe boll directed version of Twin Peaks. The biscuit scene is completely Twin Peaks, but not nearly as entertaining. I'm curious how many people here who love DP for its quirkiness have seen the show. I have a feeling you wouldn't be as into this game if you had already watched Twin Peaks.

That said, I haven't actually played DP, and I look forward to gameflying it to see how it actually is... but it just seems like a bad game trying to be "bad" and ending up bad.

So far, Godhand is still my #1 success story in the whole "bad" game realm.

Top Bottom