• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

deadly premonition > heavy rain

Sysgen

Crazy Destructoid: 100 IGN:20. Destructoid + Drinky = win I guess. Looks like a must have based on what I've read @metacritic.

Ridley327 said:
I've never been so conflicted as to whether I should avatar quote or tag quote.
You can try but you will still be wrong. No jrpg may have a great story but they still are fun to play. Heavy Rain isn't fun to play and even brings up the question of "are you actually playing?". So un top of that the story which is the only thing to this game really is also terrible. Deadly Premonition is hilariously fun. It has way more to it then its insane story that doesn't try to pass itself off as amazing, which is key. If something passes itself off as amazing I'm going to notice that it isn't a lot faster then something that doesn't.

And then there was all the hype of this being some amazing adult game. So what does this amazing adult game do? Throw some boobs at you.

Eel O'Brian said:
We have never mentioned it on the show, but believe you me buddy we will be celebrating this masterwork of whiskey tango foxtrot on the next episode!
I was talking about Heavy Rain, I assume you're talking about Deadly Premonition, because y'all talked about HR in today's episode.

Ridley327

Rahxephon91 said:
You can try but you will still be wrong. No jrpg may have a great story but they still are fun to play. Heavy Rain isn't fun to play and even brings up the question of "are you actually playing?". So un top of that the story which is the only thing to this game really is also terrible. Deadly Premonition is hilariously fun. It has way more to it then its insane story that doesn't try to pass itself off as amazing, which is key. If something passes itself off as amazing I'm going to notice that it isn't a lot faster then something that doesn't.

And then there was all the hype of this being some amazing adult game. So what does this amazing adult game do? Throw some boobs at you.

Well, they don't actually throw boobs at you since the moments where you have the chance to see them are all (intentionally?) easy to miss. I don't see how having boobs makes it any less qualified as "an adult game", but there could be some sort of rule-sheet that they didn't hand out enough copies of for me to be able to read.

Heavy Rain is, to bring up an old observation Drinky made about a few other titles, a museum game and I had no expectations of it being anything more or less than that. All I know about Deadly Premonition thus far is that it's pretty fucking terrible to play and that has a lot of impact on me wanting to continue with it, despite the odd charm it exhibits.

Well, they don't actually throw boobs at you since the moments where you have the chance to see them are all (intentionally?) easy to miss. I don't see how having boobs makes it any less qualified as "an adult game", but there could be some sort of rule-sheet that they didn't hand out enough copies of for me to be able to read.
There isn't some checklist but putting nudity in games still comes off as very very "horny teen male marketing". If a game like Dante's Inferno can get accused of it I don't know why Heavy Rain can't. Its just lame. It isn't a statement when you make your nicely molded female character take of her cloths. Its not some sign of a mature handling of a subject. Which is what Rain seems to think its doing by showing nudity. Its just like a 12 year thinks stuff with cursing is adult.

Heavy Rain is, to bring up an old observation Drinky made about a few other titles, a museum game and I had no expectations of it being anything more or less than that.
But its a game that is marketed/hyped as actually bringing video game storytelling forward but video games strength in storytelling is not in basically being an interactive movie. Games like Persona 3/4 and Mass Effect have proven that. On top of that the story is terrible and misses the point on video game story telling.

All I know about Deadly Premonition thus far is that it's pretty fucking terrible to play and that has a lot of impact on me wanting to continue with it, despite the odd charm it exhibits.
The game play is not terrible. Its solid. Far more enjoyable then then QTE sequences.

Ridley327 said:
We have very different expectations for RE4-style gameplay, then.

Very different.
Well its like RE4 on only a very basic level. Its obviously not as good as RE4 but it works.

Emphasis on that it "works".

Ridley327

You're taking this a lot more seriously than I am, but I just want to say that the argument of "well, it works" is a poor one. Sonic 2006 "works", but that doesn't absolve it from being twenty-five different kinds of hellish torment.

And honestly, Heavy Rain is substantially less gratuitous with its sexual content than Indigo Prophecy or whatever game Idea Factory is working on to get JRPG genre fans to buy into it in the west; I'd even go as far as to call it tasteful. Then again, I don't operate under the pretense that any sexual content is dooming the medium. That, I'll leave to the writing!

Kevtones

Heavy Rain is like a shitty 9 hour movie playing in a glitchy DVD player that pauses every three seconds. As well, your remote is fucked and it makes you press a different combination of buttons every time you want to unpause it.

Also, this thread is viral marketing for The Borecast.

Ridley327 said:
And honestly, Heavy Rain is substantially less gratuitous with its sexual content than Indigo Prophecy or whatever game Idea Factory is working on to get JRPG genre fans to buy into it in the west; I'd even go as far as to call it tasteful. Then again, I don't operate under the pretense that any sexual content is dooming the medium. That, I'll leave to the writing!
I don't either, but this is a medium that has yet to really prove it can do real characters, much less actual good female characters. So making your female character be naked sure doesn't help your case. Instead of spending that work and money on making her naked, how about fixing up the story.

sdornan

Rahxephon91 said:
I don't either, but this is a medium that has yet to really prove it can do real characters, much less actual good female characters. So making your female character be naked sure doesn't help your case. Instead of spending that work and money on making her naked, how about fixing up the story.

Let's hear what you think is wrong with the story in specific terms and how you would make it better.

Ridley327

Well, Heavy Rain does have a lot of dead-end plot details that don't really serve any purpose other than being ugly red herrings. And I do mean a lot!

To be honest, the plot itself was the least impressive thing that the game did, but it does speak to the makers of the game that they were still able to pull of some impressive moments where everything comes together quite beautifully despite it. All in all, I had a good time with it and that's all that matters.

sdornan said:
Let's hear what you think is wrong with the story in specific terms and how you would make it better.
I would have gotten rid of the game trying to set you up for some twist. The problem with game writing seems to think that if you have some big twist your game has a good story.

MGS3 has a better story then MGS2 because its very straight forward and not focused trying to shock the player. MGS2 is a lot more interesting though.

Because Rain is committed to its twist and wanted to go for some very shocking thing the game's story lies to you. It also pretty much breaks the game.

What I would have done is made the murderer be known from the begging. As you play as him you understand his problems and motivation. While you do that you also see how perhaps the other main character is following down the path that will make him the murder. As the game goes on it would try and perhaps convince you that what the murder does is not so black and white. Your then given choices with the other characters that were like the choices made by the murderer. But as the player you are starting to have some sort of sympathy for the murder so the choices are going to harder to make.

xbhaskarx

I haven't played either game (Heavy Rain demo was lame) but I approve of this thread.

Teach the controversy!

"But was it normal rain, or was it Chubby Rain?"

Cep

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
I would have gotten rid of the game trying to set you up for some twist. The problem with game writing seems to think that if you have some big twist your game has a good story.

MGS3 has a better story then MGS2 because its very straight forward and not focused trying to shock the player. MGS2 is a lot more interesting though.

Because Rain is committed to its twist and wanted to go for some very shocking thing the game's story lies to you. It also pretty much breaks the game.

What I would have done is made the murderer be known from the begging. As you play as him you understand his problems and motivation. While you do that you also see how perhaps the other main character is following down the path that will make him the murder. As the game goes on it would try and perhaps convince you that what the murder does is not so black and white. Your then given choices with the other characters that were like the choices made by the murderer. But as the player you are starting to have some sort of sympathy for the murder so the choices are going to harder to make.

You sir(madam?) do not deserve that tag (for the most part...).

sdornan

Rahxephon91 said:

I agree with some of that, but the biggest problem with rewriting the story this way is that Heavy Rain's story is really of the mystery genre. Your primary motivation for much of the game is to figure out the identity of the Oragami Killer. If you reveal the identity from the get go, it would be much harder to relate to the characters. Going with an approach where you, the player, know something important that the character doesn't know typically doesn't work very well as it greatly reduces you being able to identify with the character and his/her motivations/feelings since you can connect dots that he/she cannot.

As evidence of this, notice how much GAF hates spoilers.

sdornan said:
I agree with some of that, but the biggest problem with rewriting the story this way is that Heavy Rain's story is really of the mystery genre. Your primary motivation for much of the game is to figure out the identity of the Oragami Killer. If you reveal the identity from the get go, it would be much harder to relate to the characters. Going with an approach where you, the player, know something important that the character doesn't know typically doesn't work very well as it greatly reduces you being able to identify with the character and his/her motivations/feelings since you can connect dots that he/she cannot.

As evidence of this, notice how much GAF hates spoilers.
Yeah but a mystery is only good when the person feels like they could have actually figured it out or where the person says "wow it all came together". Heavy Rain has to many plot holes and lies for both to actually happen.

You sir(madam?) do not deserve that tag (for the most part...).
Thanks but I love Code Geass and Gundam Seed so I do kind of deserve it.
if only heavy rain had had some of fahrenheit's crazy juice instead
Now that game is awesome.

xbhaskarx said:
I haven't played either game (Heavy Rain demo was lame) but I approve of this thread.

Teach the controversy!

"But was it normal rain, or was it Chubby Rain?"

But the demo had muddy-hill-climbing that required more reflexes than fighting Albert Wesker!

longdi

Banned
cool story bro. u r so kewl!
ts post history suggest he is supreme sony troll fishing. i bet his next topic will be dante inferno > gow3.

move along, nothing of interest here.

sdornan

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah but a mystery is only good when the person feels like they could have actually figured it out or where the person says "wow it all came together". Heavy Rain has to many plot holes and lies for both to actually happen.

I do agree that there were some plot holes and inconsistencies that jump out after the big reveal. The best compromise would have been to make the killer
someone other than one of the main characters. Perhaps then you wouldn't have felt so misled.

longdi said:
ts post history suggest he is supreme sony troll fishing. i bet his next topic will be dante inferno > gow3.

Wow! Tell us more about this guy's post history. I guess he's new around here, and just slipped under everyone's radar - except for yours, of course.

longdi said:

his thoughts on dante's inferno vs god of war are also contained within the latest episode of borecast. check it out

Serious business and all but I have zero respect for Destructoid using Deadly Premonition as fodder to rile up fanboys. Threads such as this one are no different.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
longdi said:

:lol

nib95

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
This is true. Heavy Rain is a piece of shit boring game with a dumb story that tries to pass itself off as amazing.

Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.

Avatar of an FFXIII character to make matters worse. Ahh well, opinions, everyone has em!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I love drinky threads. :lol

I haven't played more than the demo of HR, but the acting alone was enough to make me stay far away.

DogWelder

I hate that I'm going to buy Deadly Premonition 'cause of GAF. I've never bought a single game on your recommendations before. This better be worth it.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
What a silly thread. They're both fun games.

Why do I have a feeling there's going to be a backlash over Deadly Premonition because it's being pushed into the spotlight so much lately. It's an excellent game if you're into it, but dear god it's not for everyone, or more specifically - not for most people.

AstroMan

Banned
I agree with Drinky, Deadly Premonition is the superior product. Sure it's pretty fucking ugly and so blatantly Japanese that it almost hurts sometimes but at least it's never bogged down by mundane tasks that you are forced to do.

longdi said:

You are the stupidest motherfucker ever. Perhaps you'd be better off going to N4G.com and hanging out there.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I love this thread.

Zoso said:
What a silly thread. They're both fun games.

Why do I have a feeling there's going to be a backlash over Deadly Premonition because it's being pushed into the spotlight so much lately. It's an excellent game if you're into it, but dear god it's not for everyone, or more specifically - not for most people.

It's funny and very entertaining but it plays like absolute trash.

Apath

JaxJag said:
But is it a game?

Or interactive movie?

You decide.
Who the fuck cares as long as you like it? I'm not saying one way or the other, but call it what you want -- people can still enjoy it.

Top Bottom