• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

deadly premonition > heavy rain

Space A Cobra said:
Well season 2 does completely die in the center before leading up the greatest ending ever.

Well, the start is excellent too. Then there's the Dark Days, and it kicks right back up at the end :(

Flipyap

viewtifulsub said:
Check the original trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos=fT1gGAbw2sw&v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Based was probably not the right term to use, rather complete ripping off instead. With the north west American town, lone charismatic fbi agent, murder clues on the victim's finger nails/mouth, the Red room/Black Lodge, The Man from Another Place, Julie Cruise clone, etc
Holy crap. That might be the most shameless rip-off I've seen in a while (and we live in the age of Dante's Inferno!).
...and yet, I can totally get behind this. Off-brand Twin Peaks? Sign me up.

Kevtones

Shouldn't it be Deadly Premonition >>> Heavy Rain considering one is $20 and the other $60?

Also, this thread is very right.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Didn't even know this game existed until after I bought Heavy Rain. Only $20 too?

I have read the loadtimes are pretty awful though, does an install alleviate that problem?

Timber

is this going to come out in europe? i haven't played a game in a long time but dp looks too good to pass up. that wasn't a very flattering acronym.

iammeiam

Deadly Premonition is the best $20-at-launch disc-based console 'full' game since Katamari Damacy; thread title is obvious flamebait, but goddamn does this game deliver value-per-dollar. And it wears its Twin Peaks influence like a giant "THE END IS COMING" sandwich board (Laura Palmer's picture is in the game!), so it's not trying to pull one over on you.

And the WTF factor goes up a lot when you realize it's NOT an American town, it's in Canada. It makes no sense, but it is.

While Heavy Rain was a much more intense/binge-encouraging experience for me, Deadly Premonition is proving to have surprising staying power. This is probably because whenever I get bored with the main storyline I can go fishing or play darts or stare creepily through pretty much any window in town and watch as people watch TV.

Also more games should include real-time beard growth. How many times did I get to shave in Heavy Rain? Deadly Premonition's shaving technology is sooo far ahead.

And I'm playing installed and haven't had huge issues with load times; never bothered trying when not installed.

jcm

I understand why gaming blogs post colossally stupid, fake-controversial linkbait. They're getting paid by the page view. But I've never understood doing the same thing on a message board. It's not like Drinky gets paid for this shit. What's the motivation?

Discotheque said:
Everything about that except the words 'low' 'budget' and 'Japanese' sound great.
You should play Earth Defense Force 2017.

Me, I can't wait to play Simple 2000 Series: The Twin Peaks. I just need to find out what duckroll's talking about regarding the PS3 version coming out here. Heavy Rain I couldn't care less about.

jcm said:
I understand why gaming blogs post colossally stupid, fake-controversial linkbait. They're getting paid by the page view. But I've never understood doing the same thing on a message board. It's not like Drinky gets paid for this shit. What's the motivation?
169 replies.

Bizzyb

Banned
I'm actually liking Deadly Premonitions more than Silent Hill Shattered Memories though. I don't know if it's because I actually feel like I'm in a Quaint Town or what but Deadly Premonitions is a really decent game. Well worth the $20 asking price.

Dunno about Heavy Rain though, haven't played it except for the demo.

Slurmer

Banned
I am really enjoying Heavy Rain and disagree with just about everything Amirox has said about it. With that said, the incessant defenders who get so flustered over negative things said about the game make me want to troll the hell out of it.

Drinky Crow said:
L2 +

[ ] Drinky Crow
X GAF memes
O internet anonymity?
/\ System warriors

rotate right analog stick in a upper half-circle to scratch your head bemusedly

press down on the right stick to close the thread
:lol :lol

DCharlie

Banned
Worst thing about awesome Drinky threads is the 10 posts saying

Drinky Crow
Banned

"lol, that was fast!"

my copy of deadly premonition turned up last night! unf

but so did an Altered Beast pcb... and that has muscle mens, so will have to play that first.

Cat in the Hat said:
The borecast convinced me I don't want to play this. Maybe I will though it's still in my gamefly Q sitting pretty a #13.

We have never mentioned it on the show, but believe you me buddy we will be celebrating this masterwork of whiskey tango foxtrot on the next episode!

iammeiam said:
Also more games should include real-time beard growth. How many times did I get to shave in Heavy Rain? Deadly Premonition's shaving technology is sooo far ahead.
Obviously they had to sacrifice a lot in order to implement it.

Will there be a PC version of this ever? ;_;

Apath

I just played the demo. Graphics were great, voice acting was great, and story was... just starting? Game play was non-existent though. So yeah, great "game" that isn't for everyone sounds right to me -- just from going by the demo.

JaxJag

Banned
Kenak said:
I just played the demo. Graphics were great, voice acting was great, and story was... just starting? Game play was non-existent though. So yeah, great "game" that isn't for everyone sounds right to me -- just from going by the demo.
But is it a game?

Or interactive movie?

You decide.

Man, it's about time Drinky Cow got banned. I've gotten tired of him trolling certain Japanese games (and genres) by decrying fans of them as "weeaboos" and calling said games "loli animu crap."

I applaud whichever mod or admin banned him. Swift justice indeed.

Shai-Tan

Banned
So I searched for "deadly premonition" on google and the second link is a 2.0 review from IGN. Are reviewers not understanding the game or is it merely a destructoid inspired troll job?

shaneb.gif

Shai-Tan said:
So I searched for "deadly premonition" on google and the second link is a 2.0 review from IGN. Are reviewers not understanding the game or is it merely a destructoid inspired troll job?
A little from column A, a little from column B.

Ridley327

Rahxephon91 said:
This is true. Heavy Rain is a piece of shit boring game with a dumb story that tries to pass itself off as amazing.

I've never been so conflicted as to whether I should avatar quote or tag quote.

All I know about Deadly Premonition thus far is that it controls like RE4 if I was underwater and hopped up on quaaludes. I want to play more since the setting is endearing enough, but it's painful. Real painful.

Acosta

I haven't played any, but if Drinky says so it must be true. Drinky is our friend and he is always looking for our best interest.

But man, beaten by Destructoid... you can't accept that. I suggest you counter with a Unlimited Saga>Final Fantasy XIII thread.

Top Bottom