• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Bought this on amazon for £10, been watching some gameplay/cutscene footage, and oh man i can't wait.

I'm gonna have such a fun time with this game, also going to hand it around my friends once i'm done to share the love.

Quikies83

FUCK!! Why won't the sheriff give me the mission to pick up the radio?!? I've already picked a flower from the side of the road... I believe I'm getting really close to the end of Chapter 2.

Quikies83 said:
FUCK!! Why won't the sheriff give me the mission to pick up the radio?!? I've already picked a flower from the side of the road... I believe I'm getting really close to the end of Chapter 2.
You have to bring it to him at his house in the evening.

Papercuts said:
The sandwich they mention(strawberry jam, turkey, cereal) is actually pretty damn awesome.
High five!

I love the sinner's sandwich, and have it on a whim once in a while. I was initially grossed out by the idea, but it actually makes some sense. Turkey lunchmeat isn't typically that strong of a flavored meat, so putting strawberry jam on it really works well. Plus, the cereal (I use cornflakes) adds a really nice crunch to it, like a lettuce or onion might typically add.

Made a miniature version of it the other day because of some small amount of cornflakes.

Lijik

Typographenia said:
High five!

I love the sinner's sandwich, and have it on a whim once in a while. I was initially grossed out by the idea, but it actually makes some sense. Turkey lunchmeat isn't typically that strong of a flavored meat, so putting strawberry jam on it really works well. Plus, the cereal (I use cornflakes) adds a really nice crunch to it, like a lettuce or onion might typically add.

Made a miniature version of it the other day because of some small amount of cornflakes.
I love the sinner's sandwich a bunch. I used to make them all the time last winter and made this gif to proclaim my love:
tumblr_ldv1nkJrja1qejutxo1_400.gif

Quikies83 said:

Screw it. Driving is the best part.

Driving during the "evil hour" was fun when York would whistle happily while mowing down spawning shadows. Those bastards do a number on your car, though.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Dispatching Soon
Delivery Estimate: 28 July 2011 - 9 Aug 2011

AHHHHH, the wait is KILLING me :(

Its here

Driving around when York is talking is one of the most relaxing experiences ever.

really digging this game as much as i knew i would. :)

baaaaaahhh this game has been sitting in my fucking backlog for months and I simply cant get myself around to playing it even though I know Ill love it. I started playing AGAIN about a month ago and I just reached the Sheriffs station for the first time (obviously Im barely into it). Being a huge fan of Twin Peaks, Alan Wake, etc it baffles me as to why it hasnt sucked me in yet.

Can someone please tell me if this game is available on the United States Xbox 360 Games on Demand marketplace? I searched the marketplace top to bottom yesterday, but I couldn't even find a listing for Deadly Premonition, let alone any info as to whether it is for sale or not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Arpeggio23 said:
Can someone please tell me if this game is available on the United States Xbox 360 Games on Demand marketplace? I searched the marketplace top to bottom yesterday, but I couldn't even find a listing for Deadly Premonition, let alone any info as to whether it is for sale or not.

It got added in the UK a little while ago but I can't find it in the US either.

Arpeggio23 said:

It is not available on the U.S. GoD yet.

Randomizer

So I just finished my first playthrough of this yesterday. Having been in a gaming rut of sorts lately this game was such a breath of fresh air, an amazing experience. I was actually taken aback by this game and shocked at how good it was. With people mentioning it in a "so bad its good" sort of way I was not expecting such a fantastic experience. This game is far from bad sure it's extremely rough around the edges but the charms of the characters, story and overall experience easily make up for all the it's technical shortcomings. The voice acting was surprisingly good for such a small budget game particularly York and Emily. The dialogue was often very funny and highly entertaining with many memorable moments but there were still some rough patches here and there.

Many of the gameplay elements were average at best and the graphics despite some good character models were barely adequate but for me it didn't deter too much from the overall experience. Had the game received a bigger budget and more polish with gameplay and graphics on par as something amazing like RE4 I think Deadly Premonition would easily stand as one the best games ever. Also I wouldn't necessarily call this a survival-horror game. The only part of the game that fits that criteria is the shooting sections. It's more of an open world adventure game in the same vein as Shenmue.

I'm actually sad and disappointed it's all over and can't stop thinking about it. It's a very seldom occurrence for a game to leave such a lasting impression on me. Since I did not read anything about it beforehand I flew through the main story really quickly only doing a few side quests here and there. The game made no indication that I could defer the main story and just have fun about the town unfortunately. I didn't even know about the radio or unlimited ammo until I read this thread so it looks like a second playthrough is definitely on the cards, possibly on easy to cut down on the shooting sections.

This games is easily in my top 5 of this gen along with Nier, which I played earlier this year and it had a similar effect on me. It's really wonderful to see such original and unique games and gives me hope for the future of this wonderful medium.

I really hope you get a chance to replay it, because some of the side missions were pretty enjoyable. Also, just taking your time to explore was extremely rewarding. I still can't believe how much effort was put into the routines and lives of the town's people.

Looks like the thread wasn't locked.

Anybody have any ideas for how a sequel would work?

Also I just got an epic case of the cream jeans thanks to that Calvin and Hobbes Zach and York comic. I have a C&H tattoo, maybe I should get a Deadly Premonition one too. I'll let you think it over Zach.

Small Mailman said:
Anybody have any ideas for how a sequel would work?
Honestly, I would love it if we didn't revisit Greenvale.
Just give Agent York a new case in a new location (reuse assets, I won't mind). I want to see even more awesome characters, and hopefully SWERY would have a larger budget that lets him stretch his and his staff's creative wings a little more.

OMG Aero

Typographenia said:
Honestly, I would love it if we didn't revisit Greenvale.
Just give Agent York a new case in a new location (reuse assets, I won't mind). I want to see even more awesome characters, and hopefully SWERY would have a larger budget that lets him stretch his and his staff's creative wings a little more.
If it was a sequel then
we couldn't have agent York. Deadly Premonition was an ending to York's story and bringing him back would ruin that ending, it would either have to be a new character or just Zach.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ok have taken the plunge and ordered it from Amazon.co.uk game today had a play through, not to far into it, nowhere near as bad as some people made out, kinda creepy so far...also it's on 2 for £20 in game station incase anyone wants to get it?

Apoc87

Banned
quick question. ive only made it up to the end of chapter 3 (i think thats where this is) so no future spoilers please.
Anyway, when they are looking over the body at the hospital, York finds the red seed in her throat. he says "jackpot Zach", and then proceeds to pull out several bags of seeds. then everyone appears shocked. should I know where York got those seeds? I dont remember picking up a bag of seeds or any cutscene of York finding any previously in the game. did I miss something or is this explained later?

OMG Aero

Apoc87 said:
quick question. ive only made it up to the end of chapter 3 (i think thats where this is) so no future spoilers please.
Anyway, when they are looking over the body at the hospital, York finds the red seed in her throat. he says "jackpot Zach", and then proceeds to pull out several bags of seeds. then everyone appears shocked. should I know where York got those seeds? I dont remember picking up a bag of seeds or any cutscene of York finding any previously in the game. did I miss something or is this explained later?
York pulls out a bag of them at the start of the game in his car driving to Greenvale. They are from previous cases he's worked on.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
kyubajin said:
Is the PS3 port a confirmed rumour or it's rather gossip?

Well there is a PS3 port available but only Asian/Japanese versions (so it's called Red Seeds Profile) and the asian version is full english iirc.

Clevinger

Totobeni said:
Well there is a PS3 port available but only Asian/Japanese versions (so it's called Red Seeds Profile) and the asian version is full english iirc.

I don't think it is. The full english Asian release was just a rumor and some poor GAFer imported it only to find out it wasn't true.

kyubajin

Clevinger said:
I don't think it is. The full english Asian release was just a rumor and some poor GAFer imported it only to find out it wasn't true.
For real??? I was thinking about getting it myself :/

Clevinger said:
Wasn't the game fully voiced in english, but all the subtitles and in-game text were still in a non-english format?

Totobeni said:

Full English dialogue, but most text is Japanese. It is perfectly playable with a translated map and guide for side-quests. Only a couple side-quests gave me trouble, and both of those were quizzes. It's not ideal, but you PS3-only users aren't going to get anything else for now.

cj_iwakura said:
Weak. I'm almost tempted to pick this up and add it to the small list of 360 games I own even though I don't own the console.
It's a good investment for when you finally get the 360. I mean, look at that price tag! How can you possibly say "no" to that?

jgminto

Done, beaten, finished. And it was fucking awesome. Just beat the game minutes ago and I have to say it definitely lives up to the hype.

Now a few things I didn't like about the game:

- The wall-crawling mini-bosses that are introduced during the museum chapter. OH MY GOD! The things are damn annoying. Since around the halfway point I had just started running past all of the enemies these guys were the bane of my existance. You always knew when they were coming. "Oh a long corridor with vents along the sides. I wonder what will happen?" But the worst part is that you get blocked off from progressing until you kill them, which takes a solid minute or two. And when there are 3 in one hallway it can be pretty frustrating.

- The bosses were really odd. I wouldn't call this outright bad and I'm sure it could be argued that they fit with the weirdness of the game but Super Saiyan Hulk George was real weird. And it probably would have been a better conclusion if it cut from Emily's death to the Epilogue. The various Forrest Kaysen bosses, who turns out to be a giant alien, WHAT!?, kinda spoiled the mood on a major character development point for York and Zach.

- QTEs. Fucking QTEs. Having to mash the stick from left to right with one hand and press button combinations with the other. Definitely the worst part of the game. And when each Raincoat killer chase let to a hide sequence that was the exact same each time it got pretty annoying.

- The midway point. I found it quite annoying that about halfway through the game all of the side quests were discarded and all you could do was go from mission to mission. I preferred the "Do what you want" pacing of the first half.

That's all of the problems I have this game and they definitely didn't stop me from enjoying such a fantastic game. For the possible sequel though, I would prefer if they lessened the amount of combat in the game. I'd be fine if they removed it entirely though.

Just finished this masterpiece. One of the best games I've played this generation. Sure, it had its warts (weird map, clunky controls from time to time, stupid QTE stuff) but this game really clicked with me. I was pretty emotionally attached to the main characters in the story.
Emily's death was incredibly sad- I tried shooting Kaysen and myself in the game to avoid it, but it makes you e-do the decision anyway so you have to attempt to shoot Emily. Happy that York gets Emily in the end

Ultimately, I hope SWERY gets to make a sequel. The monologues about the 80s were incredibly entertaining as well. For 15 bucks, I got 20 hours of gameplay (while doing very few sidequests as well!)

Thanks to everybody here for recommending this game!

Neiteio

OK, so I watched half of the Let's Play by Supergreatfriend (highly recommended; soothing voice and smartly narrated, with no talking during cutscenes). Then some time passed, I got distracted with other games/life, and eventually I found myself wondering, "So, who was responsible for the murders, anyway?" And then I started looking up videos of the end-game.

I am feeling depressed. Here's why (end spoilers):
Emily's death! Noooooo! Yes, I see York the split personality goes off to live with her happily ever after in another world... assuming that's not all in Zach's head... But damn. DAMN. Incredibly frustrating that they made me fall in love with these characters falling in love, and then they play the tragedy card like that. FUCK. The look in Emily's eyes as she stood there with the plant sprouting out of her, the longing look with York and the pain in his eyes and hers. Oh my god. I wanted them to be together so bad, alive and well, in THIS world. Yes, I see the game shows they're together and they're happy... but the whole afterlife thing leaves me cold. No no noooooo. Why? Fuck. FUCK.

I'm going to walk off my angst with a midnight fog walk. I'm so angry at whatever cruel person created this game. You don't toy with my heart like that!!

Top Bottom