• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

€30 price is wrong I think, it is infalted based on the UK price from the PR...

Deadly Premonition is out today 5 July 2011 on Xbox LIVE Games on Demand

Tuesday, 5thJuly 2011: Rising Star Games today announced Deadly Premonition is out on Microsoft Xbox LIVE Games on Demand. One of Rising Star Games’ success stories of 2010, Deadly Premonition developed a cult following after receiving hugely contrasting reviews from top games publications and respected reviewers. Deadly Premonition went on to be nominated for and, in some cases, win an impressive number of awards. With review scores ranging from 2 to 10, this was the game of 2010 that people were compelled to try for themselves.

Developed by Access Games, Deadly Premonition is an open-world game set in Greenvale, a secluded rural town in North West America. Playing as FBI Special Agent Francis York, gamers are charged with solving the shocking, ritualistic and brutal murder of a local girl, unravelling the mystery via clues, lies and a trail of bodies. Agent York travels around Greenvale in a variety of vehicles – entertaining gamers with facts about movies along the way – encountering eccentric natives, supernatural creatures and a folklore killer, who stalks his victims in a blood-drenched raincoat. Agent York’s appearance changes in ‘real time’ (shaving, showering and eating are essential), and this level of hygiene has consequences as it influences the towns folk’s perceptions of him. Side quests and mini-games, such as darts, fishing and collecting trading cards also feature.

“It’s been a real pleasure to work on Deadly Premonition,” says Martin Defries, managing director, Rising Star Games. “We’ve loved every minute of handling such a weird and wonderful title. It really found a place in the hearts of the gaming community when released on disc, so we wanted to give even more gaming enthusiasts a chance to play this awesome title. Now they can play Deadly Premonition by downloading it straight onto their Xbox 360s.”

Deadly Premonition is released today on the Xbox Live Network, priced at £14.99, courtesy of Rising Star Games

This game has been sitting in my backlog for a few months. Being a huge Twin Peaks and Alan Wake fan I just dont understand why I havent seized the chance to experience it for more than an hour (which is literally all Ive done). =/

JumpingTheGun said:
This game has been sitting in my backlog for a few months. Being a huge Twin Peaks and Alan Wake fan I just dont understand why I havent seized the chance to experience it for more than an hour (which is literally all Ive done). =/
I'm not going to lie, the beginning hour or two will seem pretty underwhelming. Give it a little time when you finally start playing, because it picks up really quick after a point.

Typographenia said:
I'm not going to lie, the beginning hour or two will seem pretty underwhelming. Give it a little time when you finally start playing, because it picks up really quick after a point.

Whenever I see this thread pop up it always sends a spark to my senses that I need to give it a go again because Im sure Ill love it. Do you suggest I use a guide or should I just dive in with no assistance?

JumpingTheGun said:
Whenever I see this thread pop up it always sends a spark to my senses that I need to give it a go again because Im sure Ill love it. Do you suggest I use a guide or should I just dive in with no assistance?

Most people will tell you to at least use the guide until you get the radio. I didn't and still had a great time.

Ledsen

JumpingTheGun said:

Read up on how to get the radio and the wrench at least.

Ledsen said:
Read up on how to get the radio and the wrench at least.

Alright awesome Ill start it up tonight. Is any other site out there besides GameFAQs that can provide me with those whereabouts? (radio and wrench)

JumpingTheGun said:
If you really just want to experience the game, play it on easy mode.
Like Roland Deschain suggested, I highly recommend looking up getting the radio. It's fairly simple to do, and it will make your life sooo much easier. Also, you might consider looking up getting the infinite machine gun.

Outside of that, the game shouldn't be too difficult to get around. Those two items will make a world of a difference, but don't let that keep you from experimenting with other weapons you find.

_dementia said:
I saw this graffiti a while ago. I thought it was amazingly obscure.
Did you actually find this in person?
If so, that's great, hahaha!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JumpingTheGun said:

- Play on Easy

- Read this guide (spoiler free, don't worry) to learn about some undocumented controls that will make the game a better experience.

- Just because a Mission says 10:00-18:00 does not mean you need to do it between 10:00-18:00 that day. You can wait until the next day, or a day after that, or any time. Don't feel like you need to advance the plot constantly. If you want to explore the city, let yourself do that. The game never tells you this. You will never be punished for waiting to do a mission.

- The map rotates when you turn. So North is not always up on your map. This will take some getting used to.

- I do not recommend using a guide for any quests because there are significant spoilers for the entire game if you use a guide. The one thing you will want is an unlimited ammo gun, probably the magnum. To get the unlimited ammo magnum, (spoilers for how you get the magnum, but not anything related to the plot)
drive around town and collect 7 bones. You can see the icons for the bones on the map. You need to do this BEFORE chapter 7. Do not return the bones to the graveyard. A little while after this point, you will meet a dog. The dog will steal the bones. You can get the bones back from his doghouse along with an unlimited ammo magnum.

Have fun :)

Stumpokapow said:
- The map rotates when you turn. So North is not always up on your map. This will take some getting used to.
In regards to that, these two links might be helpful:
http://i.imgur.com/bfJZm.png
http://psiharis.x10.mx/deadlymap/

I skimmed over the maps, and it doesn't look like there are any spoilers to be had.
The first is just a general location map, but the second is a detailed map of locations of things.

Be a little patient with the second map when you tell it to update. It's a tad slow.

Stumpokapow said:
- Play on Easy

- Read this guide (spoiler free, don't worry) to learn about some undocumented controls that will make the game a better experience.

- Just because a Mission says 10:00-18:00 does not mean you need to do it between 10:00-18:00 that day. You can wait until the next day, or a day after that, or any time. Don't feel like you need to advance the plot constantly. If you want to explore the city, let yourself do that. The game never tells you this. You will never be punished for waiting to do a mission.

- I do not recommend using a guide for any quests because there are significant spoilers for the entire game if you use a guide. The one thing you will want is an unlimited ammo gun, probably the magnum. To get the unlimited ammo magnum, (spoilers for how you get the magnum, but not anything related to the plot)
drive around town and collect 7 bones. You can see the icons for the bones on the map. You need to do this BEFORE chapter 7. Do not return the bones to the graveyard. A little while after this point, you will meet a dog. The dog will steal the bones. You can get the bones back from his doghouse along with an unlimited ammo magnum.

wow thank you so much Stump.

atre324

I've actually been playing this recently too, I had some trouble getting into it when it first came out but I definitely want to 2nd playing with a guide for at least part of the game. Right now I'm towards the end of the game (only 2 or 3 sidequests left) and I'm really loving it, this game really has its own special sort of charm despite the somewhat lackluster presentation.

I also agree that anyone who can't seem to get into this game, keep playing at least until you unlock the radio (lets you warp anywhere you've been previously) and the junkyard, as they cut down on some of the mindless wandering.

Also, has anyone encountered one of those HUGE demon dogs? I saw one at the graveyard before I got any weapons and promptly got my ass whooped, lol. Is there any benefit for actually killing one?

Anywho, great game... too bad Swery can't afford to make any new games :( Speaking of which, is Spy Fiction worth playing?

KageMaru

Stumpokapow said:
- Play on Easy

Just picked this up over the weekend and hope to start it soon. So is the game so hard that most people should play on easy? I usually start games on normal or one of the harder difficulties.

KageMaru said:
Just picked this up over the weekend and hope to start it soon. So is the game so hard that most people should play on easy? I usually start games on normal or one of the harder difficulties.

Nothing particularly difficult about it but there are some damn tedious enemies that just aren't worth the extra difficulty level.

Ledsen

atre324 said:
I've actually been playing this recently too, I had some trouble getting into it when it first came out but I definitely want to 2nd playing with a guide for at least part of the game. Right now I'm towards the end of the game (only 2 or 3 sidequests left) and I'm really loving it, this game really has its own special sort of charm despite the somewhat lackluster presentation.

I also agree that anyone who can't seem to get into this game, keep playing at least until you unlock the radio (lets you warp anywhere you've been previously) and the junkyard, as they cut down on some of the mindless wandering.

Also, has anyone encountered one of those HUGE demon dogs? I saw one at the graveyard before I got any weapons and promptly got my ass whooped, lol. Is there any benefit for actually killing one?

Anywho, great game... too bad Swery can't afford to make any new games :( Speaking of which, is Spy Fiction worth playing?

Check it out for yourself:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3421545

MikeDub said:
Nothing particularly difficult about it but there are some damn tedious enemies that just aren't worth the extra difficulty level.

Also, the controls can get pretty frustrating sometimes. Playing on easy will let you enjoy the awesome/crazy story more. The achievements don't stack either if you were thinking about that.

Got a bit of info from Rising Star for those looking to buy the game on Games on Demand. They said:

“There has been some discrepancies with the cost of Deadly Premonition on Xbox LIVE and this problem is currently being rectified. We would advise not to purchase the title at this current time.”

They posted on Twitter too:

There is a price error on LIVE Deadly Premonition http://t.co/1gljo4g - it should be £14.99 not £19.99. Sorry! It is being sorted out.

http://twitter.com/risingstargames/status/88588113936531456

does anyone know if i can buy deadly premonition from the UK games on demand service using a japanese 360 in japan? i have no idea how the region locking on this thing works.

Lyriell

Two of the strangest things happened to me today as I made my third attempt at finishing this (awesome) game...

One, I hit start to skip the 'get in car' animation and ended up standing through the roof of my car as I drove around...

and secondly, I ran out of petrol and damaged my car too much just before I reached the hotel...

First one was quite a cute and charming bug, the second however meant I was not able to get out of the car at all and had to re-load the game.

I wonder if they programmed the game to know what to do in case of 'no petrol' or 'destroyed car' but not what to do if these two events occured at the same time...

I seem to break everything!

roughtfish

Neo Member
Started playing this yesterday.

After almost turning it off after the first ten minutes due to the ungodly assault on my eyes the Twin Peaks vibe has really suckered me. Also helped once I realised there was no need to kill every enemy that I came across.

Been playing this for the past couple of days. I just finished part two of the second episode.

OH MY GOD!!!

I love it! I really hope it holds up to the end.

Been playing this for the past couple of days. I just finished part two of the second episode.

OH MY GOD!!!

I love it! I really hope it holds up to the end.

I felt like there were far too many action sections towards the end. Getting some infinite ammo weapons helps make them less tedious but I wish they'd toned them down a bit.

Other than that, it's pretty much amazing throughout.

The only boss fights in the game are towards the end and they're pretty unpleasant aside from some great dialogue from York. I found the final boss to be particularly frustrating.

RadioHeadAche said:
The only boss fights in the game are towards the end and they're pretty unpleasant aside from some great dialogue from York. I found the final boss to be particularly frustrating.

Yeah, last boss is awful and felt kind of unnecessary.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Fuck i want this game so bad, I'l search around some stores for it when i'm in town tomorrow

Saggy

Lyriell said:
Two of the strangest things happened to me today as I made my third attempt at finishing this (awesome) game...

One, I hit start to skip the 'get in car' animation and ended up standing through the roof of my car as I drove around...

and secondly, I ran out of petrol and damaged my car too much just before I reached the hotel...

First one was quite a cute and charming bug, the second however meant I was not able to get out of the car at all and had to re-load the game.

I wonder if they programmed the game to know what to do in case of 'no petrol' or 'destroyed car' but not what to do if these two events occured at the same time...

I seem to break everything!

I had a similar thing happen to me regarding skipping the "get in car" animation. Instead of ending up standing through the roof of the car, like in your case, York was in the proper sitting position but did not move with the car. I thought it was funny and took a quick video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3hRboqhgNI

Also, for the second bug; would it not have been possible for you to use a flare in that situation? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I can't remember if you can use items while in a vehicle.

bengraven

Put me in the group on pages 2 and 3 complaining that Condemned was the first real survival horror game on 360.

It was my Day 1 purchase at launch and I played it about 30 minutes after midnight and it was definitely getting under my skin.

Persona7 said:
Not in North America.

You can import the PS3 version if you really want it.

It's also called Red Seeds Profile instead of Deadly Premonition. It appears that Play-Asia.com still carries the Japanese PS3 version, and you can also find copies on Ebay. However, don't expect to pay budget prices for it. These days, you'll have a hard time finding copies for less than sixty dollars.

Finally got around to ordering it from the UK via OzGameShop. There seems to have been a fuckup somewhere along the line though, and they've dispatched the other games I ordered at the same time but not Deadly Premonition yet. Looks like it's gonna be a long, hard wait :(

Beat it last night. I thought all of the bosses were really easy.

I love love LOVE this game! This is easily one of the best games released in the generation.

Jhoan

Beat it last night. I thought all of the bosses were really easy.

I love love LOVE this game! This is easily one of the best games released in the generation.

VpJ7i.png

That's great. It's one of the best written games ever with VA that rivals any AAA game. Nobody can resist York's charm and the inhabitants of Greenvale.

Top Bottom