• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

EmCeeGramr said:

Maybe that explains why my health was sometimes regenerating (blue health bar), sometimes not. I always assumed it was some kind of food effect but wasn't really sure...

Edit : should've watched the video first. Yup that's it blue health meter...

Great find !

MoneyLaunderer said:
I'm so close to dropping $80 to import this from Japan on PS3. Don't own a 360 and really miss this game. But $80 is so damn expensive for a game that is $20 in the States.

From what I've heard, it was released as a full-price game in Japan. I paid $55 for the Asian version on Ebay and it was worth it.

manzo

I started this today.

I.... uhh.. what

I'm not really sure... this game is so fucking bad that it makes me want to play it more.

This game is fucking awesome, lots of tributes to other great games, awesome atmosphere, unique boss fights, enjoyable humor, and lots of content to explore. I love the voice acting too.

BeautifulMemory said:
This game is fucking awesome, lots of tributes to other great games, awesome atmosphere, unique boss fights, enjoyable humor, and lots of content to explore. I love the voice acting too.

Don't forget the incredible attention to detail especially with the other characters going about their daily routines. I don't think I've ever seen that in a game before. It made the characters feel so authentic instead of background NPCs. Oh, and the great soundtrack!

manzo

After 5 hours of chapter 1 (just driving around, getting to know the townsfolk) I can already say that this is my GOTY.

No other game has made me laugh this much in a long time. When I got the car and doing some doughnuts with the handbrake on, I lolled 5 minutes straights.

Next thing - I'm racing around the hospital with some weird elevator version of American Idiot playing in the background, I thought I was high.

My body was not ready for this awesomeness.

manzo said:
No other game has made me laugh this much in a long time. When I got the car and doing some doughnuts with the handbrake on, I lolled 5 minutes straights.

Try driving around during the "evil hour". It's hilarious when you run over spawning shadows while York is whistling happily in his car. Just be careful because those shadows really damage your car after a while.

I lost my shit the first time the world turned "evil". I was on foot, creeping some suspects' houses, and all of a sudden a GIANT FUCKING DOBERMAN starts running at me. I was high as fuck at the time, and panicked. Ran for a cop car, drove, spun out, Doberman chasing... made it out alive safely, but wow...

disappeared said:
I lost my shit the first time the world turned "evil". I was on foot, creeping some suspects' houses, and all of a sudden a GIANT FUCKING DOBERMAN starts running at me. I was high as fuck at the time, and panicked. Ran for a cop car, drove, spun out, Doberman chasing... made it out alive safely, but wow...

Those are the scariest things in the game. The first time I encountered one occurred when I had just started getting used to everything. At the time, I didn't really know about the "evil hour", so I decided to explore. I had been sleeping in the graveyard at the time and when I awoke I heard a dog growling. I didn't worry because I recall a dog being in that area near one of the hidden bones. As I got up and walked towards the gate a giant doberman appeared and lunged at me. Absolutely horrifying. It's a good thing I saved a short time prior, because I did not survive that encounter.

There's something I've been meaning to ask, but as a warning you should not reveal the spoiler'd section until you've either completed the game or the "seven bones" sidequest.

Has Brain the Insomniac been dead the whole time? I was looking through my Red Seeds Profile manual sometime after I finished the game and noticed something interesting. Throughout the manual are various images such as Polaroid photos of some of the characters and a few newspaper clippings from Greenvale. One of those clippings mentioned something about a man named "Brian the..." being killed in a hit-and-run accident. Is that supposed to be the same guy? Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised if he was actually a ghost the whole time especially given his complexion, clothing style, and his insomnia. I also heard that the name Brian appears on the tombstone in front of the open grave you go to for the quest, is that true? In the PS3 version, the descriptions are in Japanese so I didn't get a chance to see.

It would be pretty cool if it's true.

RadioHeadAche said:
I also heard that the name Brian appears on the tombstone in front of the open grave you go to for the quest, is that true? [/spoiler]

It does indeed. I think he's pretty deceased too !

Woffls

Oh. My God.

My first suspicion was Thomas because he was very particular about his Squirrels, and there were red trees dotted around the town so I decided to find out where they all were, one of them was at the Police Station.

My second suspicion, in the 1st chapter I think, was George because I followed another red tree to his house! At this point I realised that he was in the forest looking for you when you first encounter the RK. But I can't remember if he can be accounted for the other times. I seem to remember him and Emily just stand outside while you're inside tripping or whatever, so did George just wander off and leave Emily alone? I dunno, I need to play it again.

It was also hinted when he pushed that massive tree statue, which should be impossible, so he obviously had some superhuman strength. And the subsequent deaths all happened when he was there, I think? He made the tree unstable for Diane, and cut the wire for Becky (?). The clues are definitely there, and there's so many red herrings, one in particular being York himself, that it's hard to pick out what's relevant.

I never suspected Keysen, because I felt it was so utterly ridiculous that he was involved in anyway, or perhaps it was too obvious for the travelling seed salesman to be the bad guy. Either way, I think it's incredible how the clues really were there for you to pick up on, but instinct tells us to ignore it, and that maybe York read his coffee wrong. The picture behind Polly was just the icing on the cake though, I mean, how ballsy is that: putting the answer to the entire mystery in front of your face every time you wake up.

In the end, all 3 were involved, but because the game focusses so much on the RK being a singular threat, it deters you from the very idea that more than one person could be involved.

Also, wasn't there another Brian referred to in the story? Aside from the gravekeeper that is? Could they be the same person.

So many questions, and I'm definitely going to play through this again. I'll get all the cards and do all the side quests :D

borrowed this from work, going in knowing it was both odd and a little 'cheap' production-wise and i really enjoyed it. i'll hunt around for a cheap copy, if only because i'm on a budget at the moment & i really, really want mortal kombat, haha.

I was blown away by the game, I finished it a week ago and I'm still thinking about it now, I think a lot of high-budget games could learn a thing or two from DP. I tried playing Alan Wake right after I finished DP because I was still in the mood for some mystery and I just couldn't get into it.

Nishastra

Banned
Woffls said:
Also, wasn't there another Brian referred to in the story? Aside from the gravekeeper that is? Could they be the same person.
The other Brian is Brian Xander Morgan, York's father. He's not the same person as Brian the Insomniac, as per Swery in this interview (English version halfway down the page).

Jokab

Woffls said:
Oh. My God.

My first suspicion was Thomas because he was very particular about his Squirrels, and there were red trees dotted around the town so I decided to find out where they all were, one of them was at the Police Station.

My second suspicion, in the 1st chapter I think, was George because I followed another red tree to his house! At this point I realised that he was in the forest looking for you when you first encounter the RK. But I can't remember if he can be accounted for the other times. I seem to remember him and Emily just stand outside while you're inside tripping or whatever, so did George just wander off and leave Emily alone? I dunno, I need to play it again.

It was also hinted when he pushed that massive tree statue, which should be impossible, so he obviously had some superhuman strength. And the subsequent deaths all happened when he was there, I think? He made the tree unstable for Diane, and cut the wire for Becky (?). The clues are definitely there, and there's so many red herrings, one in particular being York himself, that it's hard to pick out what's relevant.

I never suspected Keysen, because I felt it was so utterly ridiculous that he was involved in anyway, or perhaps it was too obvious for the travelling seed salesman to be the bad guy. Either way, I think it's incredible how the clues really were there for you to pick up on, but instinct tells us to ignore it, and that maybe York read his coffee wrong. The picture behind Polly was just the icing on the cake though, I mean, how ballsy is that: putting the answer to the entire mystery in front of your face every time you wake up.

In the end, all 3 were involved, but because the game focusses so much on the RK being a singular threat, it deters you from the very idea that more than one person could be involved.

So many questions, and I'm definitely going to play through this again. I'll get all the cards and do all the side quests :D

Don't forget that George's registration plate reads "HESTHE1". You can find in the garage at his house.

Dries

PumpkinPie said:
I was blown away by the game, I finished it a week ago and I'm still thinking about it now, I think a lot of high-budget games could learn a thing or two from DP. I tried playing Alan Wake right after I finished DP because I was still in the mood for some mystery and I just couldn't get into it.

I will never understand it when people say stuff like this...

eXistor

Dries said:
I will never understand it when people say stuff like this...
Alan Wake may have the budget and high-end visuals and such, but I agree that Deadly Premonition made a far bigger impact. I love Alan Wake btw, but I can totally see why people would prefer DP, the characters especially are infinitely more memorable than anyone in AW and you're much more invested in them.

Dries

eXistor said:
Alan Wake may have the budget and high-end visuals and such, but I agree that Deadly Premonition made a far bigger impact. I love Alan Wake btw, but I can totally see why people would prefer DP, the characters especially are infinitely more memorable than anyone in AW and you're much more invested in them.

Well, I guess it all boils down to personal taste I guess. Imo AW is superiour to DP in every facet (atmosphere, story, gameplay, graphics etc..)

eXistor said:

My wife feels the same way. I bought her both AW and DP when they came out (had AW on reserve). She talks about how great of a game DP was far more than AW.

The story in DP was unbelievably involved. AW was a great game with much better gameplay, but I think that DP was able to connect with the player a lot more because the open-ended world allowed you to explore more, and become more connected with characters, because you weren't always worried about battles.

Mr Killemgood said:
My wife feels the same way. I bought her both AW and DP when they came out (had AW on reserve). She talks about how great of a game DP was far more than AW.

The story in DP was unbelievably involved. AW was a great game with much better gameplay, but I think that DP was able to connect with the player a lot more because the open-ended world allowed you to explore more, and become more connected with characters, because you weren't always worried about battles.

Yes, the characters made DP. After I started playing the game I was at work one day and I was thinking to myself "I wonder who the killer is?" and was going through what I know about everyone in my mind... and then I realised I was actually thinking of them all as people, not characters from a video game.

I had the game for months before I even played it, I wasn't expecting much from it and just bought it on a whim...now I would say it's in my top 5 games of this generation, I have no idea why but it just had a huge impression on me.

RmZ7u.jpg

h23Ip.jpg

1ZYRh.jpg

E2OHm.jpg

wGOrm.gif

RqrFB.jpg

jRdRn.jpg

eR72q.jpg

9aHH2.jpg

9A5Wy.jpg

KXNMU.jpg

9oEjo.png

EDIT: Ignition linked to this post in a Tweet, so I'll source this as fanart from the aforementioned LP from supergreatfriend: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004

oatmeal

Banned
Played a bit more, but Halo keeps taking up too much of my time.

Got through the hospital.

Not loving the combat bits, it's more annoying than anything.

I feel like this game will be in the same place as Shattered Memories was. Great game, that could have been truly amazing without the Nightmare sequences.

But loving the story so far...although driving forever to the place after the hospital was a PIA.

Minamu

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just got the submachine gun - it says it has 180 bullets, but is it actually unlimited clips?
No, weapons with unlimited ammo have a red HUD (and a big infinite symbol). You got the regular machine gun :) You can buy a map at the store soon that give you access to a special dungeon where you can get the one with unlimited ammo.

LProtag

I need to borrow someone's 360 because I really don't want to spend 80 dollars on this, even though I want to play it badly.

InsertNameHere said:
I need to borrow someone's 360 because I really don't want to spend 80 dollars on this, even though I want to play it badly.

I'm surprised the prices have gone up so much lately. I used to find copies of the PS3 version on Ebay for about $55, but now you can't really find any copies below $90.

Minamu said:
No, weapons with unlimited ammo have a red HUD (and a big infinite symbol). You got the regular machine gun :) You can buy a map at the store soon that give you access to a special dungeon where you can get the one with unlimited ammo.

If it#s not unlimited, is there anyway to check how many clips you have? I just unloaded 5 clips of 180 bullets each... :/

Minamu

I NEED SCISSORS said:
If it#s not unlimited, is there anyway to check how many clips you have? I just unloaded 5 clips of 180 bullets each... :/
You should be able to see your total ammo reserves in your inventory, iirc.

This fucking game. I picked it up after reading about how Twin Peakey it is (in off-topic), and i think im still in Episode 1 and have just met all the towns people, but this game...... wheres the laughing smiley when you need it. The graphics are fucking terrible, the controls a pain, but i love it ! Such a strange game, i was even giggling at the pause menu. Shit, i think ive got a long road of lulz ahead of me with this :D

Ogs said:
This fucking game. I picked it up after reading about how Twin Peakey it is (in off-topic), and i think im still in Episode 1 and have just met all the towns people, but this game...... wheres the laughing smiley when you need it. The graphics are fucking terrible, the controls a pain, but i love it ! Such a strange game, i was even giggling at the pause menu. Shit, i think ive got a long road of lulz ahead of me with this :D
It's such a great experience. You've definitely got a lot of laughs in front of you.

Minamu

Ogs said:
That's why you'll remember it for far longer than any other GOTY winner you may have played recently :)

eXistor said:
No question. I've played DP through 3 times and enjoyed every minute of it. Alan Wake was OK. Just OK. There was never a moment I wanted to go through it again. I'd love to see what Deadly Premonition's developers could do with Alan Wake's budget.

krakov

Shalashaska161 said:
I wish I could completely forget this game so I could play through it again.

Same here. I watched the gb endurance run long before I knew the game was coming out in Europe and it was still an amazing experience both watching and playing. Would have been amazing to just the game without previous knowledge and just played it.

Still, the endurance run was pretty much like christmas eve over and over again for me.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Unable to initiate or complete Jim Green's quest (#13 — Legendary Tabatha).

Following the advice of some guides online
I've been going loading to Chapter 7, warping to the Tree and falling asleep at the shack there until 6 and raining and then going fishing (where there's the mission icon, but no text) and failing to catch anything, then sleeping until 9 and visiting Jim, but all I can get are scripted conversations referring to the fog outside.
What am I doing wrong?

Top Bottom