• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Zafir

Has a game ever been pulled off Steam beause of too many bugs?
Nah, just refunds normally.

The closest I saw was the 4x game Kalypso published. That was a buggy mess, but got removed because the dev went under and thus wasn't going to be fixed ever.

Mr. Desu

I haven't touched this game due to all the problems. I'm really regretting buying it early intending to play along with GAF day one... The game is so immersive and strange, that I'll go nuts if I can't finish it due to bugs.

Sit. In the corner there and twiddle your thumbs while you wait. That's what normal people do.

Right Zach?

stuminus3

Has a game ever been pulled off Steam beause of too many bugs?
Dawn of Discovery was pulled from Steam because of a game-breaking bug. It was notable because a) it was published by Ubisoft and b) there is actually a patch that fixes the bug... but they never released it for the Steam version.

Mr. Desu

Do you see it? In the water, Zach.
OSLR4pu.jpg

silenttwn

I asked Valve for a refund, citing false advertising in regards to controller support (I pre-ordered it, when it still had the feature listed). I'll let you guys know what happens.

s_mirage

For some reason my game is crashing now whenever I drive cars. Bleh.

Try restarting Windows. That worked for me, don't know why but it worked.

I do hope they patch this. I'm really enjoying it so far but it's the most unstable PC game I've played for many a year.

Mononoke

Banned
Try restarting Windows. That worked for me, don't know why but it worked.

I do hope they patch this. I'm really enjoying it so far but it's the most unstable PC game I've played for many a year.

Yep. Fixed my issue. Thanks!. Was pulling my hair out.

I had a question, I'm on a mission that is the next day. I want to go back to my hotel and sleep, but I can't figure out how to get back. I can't read the map. And as far as I can tell, I can't set a way point. Maybe it's messed up because I'm playing it at 2560x1600p, but I feel like the map is a lot harder to read in this version compared to console.

So confused. Just want to get back to the hotel. Derp.

s_mirage

I had a question, I'm on a mission that is the next day. I want to go back to my hotel and sleep, but I can't figure out how to get back. I can't read the map. And as far as I can tell, I can't set a way point. Maybe it's messed up because I'm playing it at 2560x1600p, but I feel like the map is a lot harder to read in this version compared to console.

So confused. Just want to get back to the hotel. Derp.

The map's a pain: It rotates depending on which way you're facing and you can't zoom out far enough. What you can do with the map on the pause screen is to use Left-CTRL and Space to cycle through the different locations in the game. That might help a bit.

Mononoke

Banned
The map's a pain: It rotates depending on which way you're facing and you can't zoom out far enough. What you can do with the map on the pause screen is to use Left-CTRL and Space to cycle through the different locations in the game. That might help a bit.

My problem is, the green arrow which represents me, doesn't show up on the map on the left while driving. Even when I click the M button and expand it, or make it small. The green arrow is always floating off to the right. When the map is small, I get this grey square that shows the green arrow over it.

I think it's a resolution problem. All I know is, the ONLY way I can figure out where I'm going, is pausing every time (which isn't exactly instant), and then see where the green arrow is on the map, which pin points where I'm going. Which is fine, the problem though is that when you are driving, the green arrow isn't lined up on the map, so you are 100% guessing whether you are making your turns on the right road correctly. I'm constantly stopping and pausing to check, and re-correct my course.

My guess is that, eventually I'll get used to the town and the roads. And just by memory (I played this a long time ago on Console, and remembered that being the case). But gah damn. I was just wondering if this is a problem with my resolution, or if the map is that broken.

Durante

The lighting stuff is proving rather challenging, since it's hard to find out where to look (in the rendering pipeline of the game).

Edit:
Interestingly, it happens even when rendering at 1280x720 with DPfix.

Durante

I'm an incredibly silly person. Come laugh at the incredibly silly person.

Basically, I obviously started DPfix from the DSfix code base. It contained this gem:
Code:
HRESULT APIENTRY hkIDirect3DDevice9::SetRenderTarget(DWORD RenderTargetIndex, IDirect3DSurface9* pRenderTarget) {
	[B]if(RenderTargetIndex != 0) return D3D_OK; // rendertargets > 0 are not actually used by the game - this makes the log shorter [/B]
	SDLOG(3, "SetRenderTarget %5d, %p\n", RenderTargetIndex, pRenderTarget);
	return RSManager::get().redirectSetRenderTarget(RenderTargetIndex, pRenderTarget);
}

The rest is history.

Anyway, here's a high-res shot with the normal mapping intact:
dp_2013_11_01_12_29_4nsllk.jpg

Now to actually reach the place with the minimap issue.

Durante

It's really a wonder (and a bit of a testament to the resilience of the DirectX API) that it worked at all before.

It's really a wonder (and a bit of a testament to the resilience of the DirectX API) that it worked at all before.

That had me scratching my head as well lol. I don't own this game or plan to, but I just wanted to thank you for the effort anyway. You're doing everyone a great service.

Durante being awesome as usual.

I think I will pick this up when there is a mod to add zoom to the map and proper controller support. Already finished the game on 360, so no huge rush for me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's not really high priority, but I'd be interested if you could work your magic on the new Naruto game PC port. The game is locked at 30FPS.

Durante

It's not really high priority, but I'd be interested if you could work your magic on the new Naruto game PC port. The game is locked at 30FPS.
We had a thread about this, it's probably impossible. Well, not impossible, but infeasible. The game is designed to be frame-locked at 30 FPS. (I.e. It slows down when it drops frames, other than e.g. Dark Souls which at least had rudimentary support for variable time steps)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Isn't Naruto due to animation limitations or something along those lines ? As in it was designed for 30fps and not higher ?

EDIT - Ok Durante explained it better than my nonsense :p

Foaloal

Great to see the normal mapping issue was so easy to solve, personally I thought the smooth graphics were kind of interesting but definitely not ideal.

Hopefully the minimap issue isn't too hard to figure out, but I could probably live with it if I had to.

You're work is much appreciated. I've been looking forward to play this for ages and was devastated when I saw how the state of the game was upon release!

Woah, nice work. Definitely picking this up on GOG.

I have a basic knowledge of programming and PC hardware so forgive for my ignorance but is there something particularly complex about the nature of unlocking resolutions and framerates that only Durante does it? I'm sure there are loads of skilled programmers on Gaf.

puzl

Banned
Thanks for this. Will Xbox 360 controller support be possible to implement through DPFix or will we need to wait (and pray) for a patch?

Durante

Thanks for this. Will Xbox 360 controller support be possible to implement through DPFix or will we need to wait (and pray) for a patch?
"Real" controller support (that is, with analog movement) is almost impossible with an unofficial mod, and "fake" controller support (just mapping it to keyboard controls) is already possible using third party tools, so I don't plan on doing it.

I have a basic knowledge of programming and PC hardware so forgive for my ignorance but is there something particularly complex about the nature of unlocking resolutions and framerates that only Durante does it? I'm sure there are loads of skilled programmers on Gaf.
It's not that hard, but it's quite different from normal programming. It's really mostly a challenging reverse engineering task, the actual programming is rather simple.

And you also need the will in addition to the skill -- I only do it because I am not quite sane about image quality.

Camwi

Basically, I obviously started DPfix from the DSfix code base. It contained this gem:
Code:
HRESULT APIENTRY hkIDirect3DDevice9::SetRenderTarget(DWORD RenderTargetIndex, IDirect3DSurface9* pRenderTarget) {
	[B]if(RenderTargetIndex != 0) return D3D_OK; // rendertargets > 0 are not actually used by the game - this makes the log shorter [/B]
	return RSManager::get().redirectSetRenderTarget(RenderTargetIndex, pRenderTarget);
}

The rest is history.

http://abload.de/img/dp_2013_11_01_12_29_4nsllk.jpg

I'm pretty sure you get a pass from the entire gaming world when it comes to mistakes like that.

I am sad the PC port is so jacked up. Been doing a playthrough on my YouTubes, and all I wanted to do was share the majesty of Deadly Premonition. Instead, I'm wrestling with my mouse not working.

Looking forward to implementing the fixes made by unpaid people who deserve to get friggin' cash for this shit, though!

Code:
	SDLOG(3, "SetRenderTarget %5d, %pn", RenderTargetIndex, pRenderTarget);
}

The rest is history.

You are a fucking wizard Durante! Amazing.

Ketch

Seriously impressive.

If you're not already working in the industry one of these companies needs to be offering you a job.

Gbraga

Code:
}

The rest is history.

WOW this looks decent!

BiggestBen

Neo Member
I've managed to make it up to the town hall meeting with only a few crashes. I've also completed every sidequest up to this point. Any time a crash repeats itself it seems like a reboot fixes it. Kind of weird.

Also cars seem to randomly decide upon starting the game whether or not they want to take control and jerk off to the right every few seconds.

The last time I started the game I could drive in a straight line just fine, but a few times before that the cars would just randomly veer off to the right even when I wasn't pressing anything but W. What a mysterious game.

I think I'm just going to donate 20 bucks to Durante because he deserves just as much, if not more money than these dinglehorns that developed the game do.

Top Bottom