• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

I am sad the PC port is so jacked up. Been doing a playthrough on my YouTubes, and all I wanted to do was share the majesty of Deadly Premonition. Instead, I'm wrestling with my mouse not working.

Looking forward to implementing the fixes made by unpaid people who deserve to get friggin' cash for this shit, though!

And thank god for you.

golem09

Neo Member
Also cars seem to randomly decide upon starting the game whether or not they want to take control and jerk off to the right every few seconds.

The last time I started the game I could drive in a straight line just fine, but a few times before that the cars would just randomly veer off to the right even when I wasn't pressing anything but W. What a mysterious game.

Haha, I thought this was a "feature" of the first car, and would compell players to get their own car.

Durante

Input issues like that could potentially be fixable with the disableJoystick option in DPfix.

Anyway, I found (and fixed, always the easier part) the map rendering:
dp_2013_11_01_15_39_4dfj53.jpg

Took longer than it should have since I was unreasonably focused at the wrong part of the frame rendering pipeline. At least I also learned stuff because of that which should be useful to e.g. disable the HUD or take hud-less screenshots in future versions.

Release upcoming.

Nishastra

Banned
Haha, I thought this was a "feature" of the first car, and would compell players to get their own car.
York's car is actually potentially the worst because it's fast and has great handling, so a little twitch can have a rather significant effect :p

It's really amazing on some roads, the car will just spontaneously turn about 270 degrees. I think that happens when there's a twitch while you're not fully on the ground...

Edit: That reminds me of a bug I haven't seen anyone else mention. Sometimes York rotates when that should be impossible. Like, when hiding under something he will slooowly rotate until he's facing the opposite direction, and when you stop hiding he'll climb out through the wall and fall through the world to his death. So, uh, don't hide under things :p

Also, when pushing the boxes in the Milk Barn, sometimes he pushes them diagonally to the left even though that's impossible. It never stopped me from completing the puzzles, it's just weird.

Foaloal

Am I seeing a correctly rendered map in that screenshot?

Anyway, I found (and fixed, always the easier part) the map rendering:

You sure are! I wasn't sure if Durante'd be able to fix the map since it seems like it would take a lot of guesswork to find, but he's done it!

As far as I can tell this means we've basically got the game rendering properly at whatever resolution we want now.

I'm eagerly F5ing the blog now, hope it's not hurting bandwidth or anything.

derExperte

I've managed to make it up to the town hall meeting with only a few crashes. I've also completed every sidequest up to this point. Any time a crash repeats itself it seems like a reboot fixes it. Kind of weird.

Then you're coming up to the (first) art gallery part. A very nice GAFer uploaded his save file and if I use that to replay the chaper (he's much further ahead) my game doesn't crash but I would prefer to play the game normally and not through chapter select. Could you (or anyone else), immediately after leaving the art gallery use the phone on the parking lot to save and then upload the save? Mine says E2(p1) Chapter 09.

edit: The map is fixed? Oh my. :)

golem09

Neo Member
You sure are! I wasn't sure if Durante'd be able to fix the map since it seems like it would take a lot of guesswork to find, but he's done it!

As far as I can tell this means we've basically got the game rendering properly at whatever resolution we want now.

I'm eagerly F5ing the blog now, hope it's not hurting bandwidth or anything.

Oh man, I'm too tired.
When I read Durante speaking about a "map fix", I associated it with his talk about all the normal maps before. Never thought he meant the actual map.

Then you're coming up to the (first) art gallery part. A very nice GAFer uploaded his save file and if I use that to replay the chaper (he's much further ahead) my game doesn't crash but I would prefer to play the game normally and not through chapter select. Could you (or anyone else), immediately after leaving the art gallery use the phone on the parking lot to save and then upload the save?

Yes, I second that, in case I'll run into the same problen. Otherwise I'll upload.

Durante

I released 0.3.

• Fixed normal mapping/lighting of many surfaces in the game
  • Fixed minimap location
  • Added windowed mode (in addition to fullscreen and borderless windowed fullscreen modes)

dp_2013_11_01_16_17_4txxu7.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Can anyone that has gotten to a split screen moment tell me if it's rendering properly? I want to stream the game after I know that works. o:

Durante

Already did, still crashes, hmm, it is probably something on my end, but I dont know what
Does it crash in both fullscreen and windowed modes? And what settings have you set in the game launcher? (try disabling fullscreen there)

Has anyone else tested 0.3 on Windows 8?

golem09

Neo Member
What do you mean?

In non-borderless mode pressing the ALT key pauses the game (good for the long cutscenes). It also solves the long loading time bug for the escape menu (and sometimes for area changes) when you press it twice to quickly pause/unpause.

DrTeflon

Does it crash in both fullscreen and windowed modes? And what settings have you set in the game launcher? (try disabling fullscreen there)

Has anyone else tested 0.3 on Windows 8?

0.3 works fine on Win 8.

Hmmmm, I wonder what's wrong then... tried every possible setting / combination and it still crashes, odd....

Ok, now it simply goes to a black screen even without DSfix, wtf computer?

Foaloal

Working great for me on Windows 8 x64
I posted this issue on your blog, but here is a screenshot of it (possibly minor spoilers):
In the 3rd combat area, the woodmill, there is a scene where the Raincoat Killer attacks you and you have to hide. It has a "fancy" trick where you get to see two camera perspectives at once, which displays in 720p still.

Hmmmm, I wonder what's wrong then... tried every possible setting / combination and it still crashes, odd....

Ok, now it simply goes to a black screen even without DSfix, wtf computer?

Try a restart of your PC, seems to fix most of the crashes with the game (at least temporarily)

Durante

I posted this issue on your blog, but here is a screenshot of it (possibly minor spoilers)

Try a restart of your PC, seems to fix most of the crashes with the game (at least temporarily)
Yeah, I answered on the blog already. Probably not too hard to fix, but I can only do so when I get to that part of the game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I posted this issue on your blog, but here is a screenshot of it (possibly minor spoilers)

Okay I guess I'll wait a little bit longer for starting my play-through then.

DrTeflon

I posted this issue on your blog, but here is a screenshot of it (possibly minor spoilers):
In the 3rd combat area, the woodmill, there is a scene where the Raincoat Killer attacks you and you have to hide. It has a "fancy" trick where you get to see two camera perspectives at once, which displays in 720p still.

Just did it and well, nothing. Maybe its because i'm using beta drivers (thanks battlefield 4), or something else, or even life itself. I'll try it later or I dunno, play it with out it.

Typical jibberish on surfaces you are not supposed to read. It's not exclusive to DP, a lot of games that have newspapers inside them for example have readable text on them that makes zero sense. Beyond for example.
In DP case at least it contributes to an already insane and wonderful game.

So is the PC version still worth it despite the bugs? I've never played DP and I held off on buying the PS3 version once this was announced.

Foaloal

So is the PC version still worth it despite the bugs? I've never played DP and I held off on buying the PS3 version once this was announced.

Some of the bugs have been pretty bad.

From physics bugs that have trapped me inside level geometry to random inexplicable crashes while driving, there are quite a few problems right now.

I haven't even gotten to chapter 9 yet where apparently some people have been completely unable to progress due to a crash.

I would say wait a while to see if a patch fixes anything, and if no patch comes I could only really recommend a purchase if it goes on sale.

Edit: Despite the issues I'm still having fun with the game, but every time it crashes I lose the desire to play for a while.

parabolee

The bugs/glitches only seem to effect some. But for those that are effected, they can be pretty bad.

The game breaking weapon select bug was the worst. Luckily Durantes patch fixes tat one. Most of the others seem to be fixed with a reboot.

Personally the only bug I have had so far is the driving one, where it crashes once you get into a car. I rebooted once and it has worked perfectly since then. A little audio crackle is all I have had.

So yeah I would say it is well worth the purchase. It's the best version of the game. Runs at 60fps and thanks to Durante 1080p. Features the improvements of the PS3's Directors Cut without the horrible frame rates,

The lack of true Controller support really sucks, but I can handle using Xpadder/Pinnacle while I wait for an official patch (hopefully). But even lacking that, this is by far the best version of Deadly Premonition there is. And the game is as insane and wonderful as ever :)

Carm

My apologies if this was asked and answered already. Is the cinematics playing between 15-25fps with stuttering fixable with a mod eventually? Those same cinematics play perfectly fine from the game folder in wmp.

Also, did the patch they pushed the other day increase the load times to ridiculously lengths? The first time my load times weren't nearly this bad.

Foaloal

My apologies if this was asked and answered already. Is the cinematics playing between 15-25fps with stuttering fixable with a mod eventually? Those same cinematics play perfectly fine from the game folder in wmp.

Also, did the patch they pushed the other day increase the load times to ridiculously lengths? The first time my load times weren't nearly this bad.

The cutscenes should be playing at a "smooth" 30fps. Restarting has been known to fix some framerate issues, if you haven't already given it a try it might help.

As for the load times, they've been ridiculous for me from day 1, sometimes a minute+.
Hitting the alt key twice during loads would make them much much faster, but with the DPFix that doesn't seem to work any more.

That said, my load times have inexplicably been much better since DPFix 0.2, I have no idea why. Try alt-tabbing during loading screens, and if that doesn't help then maybe the restart I recommended above might help.

Durante

This appears to be a codec issue, I don't have it. I suggest installing CCCP.

Carm

The cutscenes should be playing at a "smooth" 30fps. Restarting has been known to fix some framerate issues, if you haven't already given it a try it might help.

As for the load times, they've been ridiculous for me from day 1, sometimes a minute+.
Hitting the alt key twice during loads would make them much much faster, but with the DPFix that doesn't seem to work any more.

That said, my load times have inexplicably been much better since DPFix 0.2, I have no idea why. Try alt-tabbing during loading screens, and if that doesn't help then maybe the restart I recommended above might help.

This appears to be a codec issue, I don't have it. I suggest installing CCCP.

Already tried restarting no change. I installed that codec pack, again no change unless I have to mess with its settings.

Mr. Desu

So, Durante, your mod works great over here even on Windows 8.

To everyone else, why does this go out on me every time after the first cut-scene in chapter 9? Is there a work around?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So yeah I went to wikipedia to read the basic gist of the plot of this game and ended up reading the whole thing >_>

ViviOggi

Okay now this is kind of weird. Yesterday night I installed the 0.3 beta, set it to borderless window right away and it worked like a charm for the hour or so I played. Then I went to bed and after starting my PC today, having changed no settings or installed any programs whatsoever this [= dp.exe has stopped working] keeps happening every time I try to start it in borderless window mode.

The discussion hub suggested reinstalling PhysX and some weird copying of related .dlls for crashes, did that and restarted my PC as well, no change. Works fine in regular fullscreen though.

Top Bottom