• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding + HDR = WOW

ultrazilla

Gold Member
It's a damn shame there's no photo mode in the game currently. Kojima missed the mark big time on that one. Hopefully it can be
patched in?!

It's definitely a great looking game but I'm not sure it takes the crown from Red Dead Redemption 2 IMO. Gotta watch more cutscenes err I mean
play the game more to see if it will.....

Kagero

yea I've only been impressed with some of the character models. The water physics are terrible. Cutscenes are really nice. but people who are saying this is a graphical masterpiece when RDR2 was released this year? How soon we forget.
I was not impressed with red dead to be honest, but that's just me. I understand, it's all subjective though.

Nydus

For those with a series 7 oled:

Switch the input from the PS4 to pc (the symbol, the name is not relevant). Set the PS4 to yuv420 and use the standard hdr picture mode of the tv.

With this you get the best hdr picture without banding and with the input lag of game mode :)

For those with a series 7 oled:

Switch the input from the PS4 to pc (the symbol, the name is not relevant). Set the PS4 to yuv420 and use the standard hdr picture mode of the tv.,

With this you get the best hdr picture without banding and with the input lag of game mode :)

I heard about this. I wonder if this also applies to the B6 OLED as well

Panaphonics

Banned
Even low budget 4K tvs have near perfect upscaling from 1080p.

You seem to have very little first hand use of the technology.

Hilarious. When Xbox one games were 900p people said shit like it’s a blurry mess, although pixel wise there is not much difference between 1080p and 900p.

However, counting the pixels, the difference between native 4K and this fake checkerboard 4K is HUGE. MUCH much much bigger pixel wise compared to 900p vs 1080p.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hilarious. When Xbox one games were 900p people said shit like it’s a blurry mess, although pixel wise there is not much difference between 1080p and 900p.

However, counting the pixels, the difference between native 4K and this fake checkerboard 4K is HUGE. MUCH much much bigger pixel wise compared to 900p vs 1080p.

What is even integer scaling and pixel density on 4K?

900p on a 1080p or even 4K set is blurry. 1080p on up on a 4K set is not due to even integer and high pixel density with higher resolutions.

As for the DS vs Spidey conversation from yesterday, I popped in Spidey this morning to compare

for my money, DS is the better looking game. Not by a lot, but I think it has slightly better IQ. In fairness, Spidey probabky has more things going on at once on the screen at any given time (at least in the open world). For me it’s the HDR that really puts DS on a new level. Best HDR implementation I’ve seen yet

just my opinion

we get it dude, you’re an X-Box Guy. Good for you. Carry on then.

Last edited:

AnotherOne

So much wrong statements here..but believe what ever you want brah.

It’s NOT native 4K. Will look blurry as hell on your 4K.
checkerboard 4k is quite sharp not blurry as hell though.

I wasnt interested in this game, but after watching this video in HDR I have changed my mind. Graphics looks indeed photorealistic in HDR and atmosphere is awesome. Even if this game is one big interactive film or walking simulator I now want to play it even for graphics and story alone👍.

The water physics are not that great, but the static rocky environment looks photoreal in many cases, also the character models are superb.
4k checkerboard reconstructs detail, it is not simple upscaling. Also some developers combine it with temporal data to better reconstruct and reduce artifacts.

Top Bottom