• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima Gives Update on the Development of His Mysterious Game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/death-stranding-kojima-update/

Kojima Productions’ upcoming game Death Stranding is still mostly shrouded in mystery, but today a new interview with Hideo Kojima published by J-Wave provides an update on the state of development.

Kojima-san mentions that with the story is done from the beginning to the end, but since it’s an open-world game, it’s not yet in the polishing stage. Currently, while holding the controller every day, he is working on “let’s do this here” or “let’s change this effect here”

He also mentions that many studios release their games later than they originally planned, but while Death Stranding is slightly behind the initial plan, there isn’t a large delay.

Asked whether having a set release date (internally) is pushing him to make compromises, Kojima-san explains that there is a little bit of compromise. An amateur artist can keep working on the details until he’s fully satisfied, but since there is a set release date, he can have a goal and he can create with priorities in mind.

If he didn’t have a deadline, he’d just keep working on the game forever. On the other hand, having a deadline means that he can do his best, and he can make sure to finish in time. However, he would never release the game that didn’t match his standards.

R Raph64 your wish has been granted :messenger_smiling_horns:

I actually read this article last night on twinfinite and j-pop (using Google Translate). The good news is Story and Cutscenes are most likely completed since the Japanese VA sessions have started since January. The bad news is Death Stranding won't come out until Q3 2020 by my estimate. The ugly news is haters are still gonna hate on Kojima and his approach to secrecy.
5wZdQMI.png

#Phonepunk#

Banned
cool, let him finish the game. for all the endless complaining about MGSV being "unfinished" due to his early exit, hopefully those people will shut up and accept delays as part of the process.

from announcement to release was 3 1/2 years for MGSV. this was announced less than 3 years ago. the confirmation that the game is in polish stage is pretty nice to hear, it won't be long now...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
cool, let him finish the game. for all the endless complaining about MGSV being "unfinished" due to his early exit, hopefully those people will shut up and accept delays as part of the process.

from announcement to release was 3 1/2 years for MGSV. this was announced less than 3 years ago. the confirmation that the game is in polish stage is pretty nice to hear, it won't be long now...

Exactly! And it's not like this game ever got a release date.

That would be cool to have some gameplay demo... Appart from the trailers we do not have much.

How bout some bloody info on the story or wth is happening in this game. Ill gladly accept I wont see another trailer in a year if in return we start getting some clarity what this game actually is.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
R Raph64 your wish has been granted :messenger_smiling_horns:

I actually read this article last night on twinfinite and j-pop (using Google Translate). The good news is Story and Cutscenes are most likely completed since the Japanese VA sessions have started since January. The bad news is Death Stranding won't come out until Q3 2020 by my estimate. The ugly news is haters are still gonna hate on Kojima and his approach to secrecy.
5wZdQMI.png

I was really hoping for DS to drop this holiday. I mean we have TLOU (maybe) and............................yo seriously, what's this holiday supposed to look like? Is this about to be the crappiest holiday season for gaming? I think AC is taking the year off, COD...is COD. I think I'm actually starting to panic.

What is coming out at the end of this year?

EDIT: Found this.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/28...-games-2019-release-schedule#Release Header 3

Last edited:
Death Stranding is still mostly shrouded in mystery

What exactly is a mystery about this title? It's a third person stealth game in a sci-fi setting with story elements related to planet colonization, powerful cooperations and paranormal elements. Production-wise, lot's of strong motion capture performances, physically based lighting and scanned materials.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
What exactly is a mystery about this title? It's a third person stealth game in a sci-fi setting with story elements related to planet colonization, powerful cooperations and paranormal elements. Production-wise, lot's of strong motion capture performances, physically based lighting and scanned materials.

There's this whole theme about "connections" that they have been pretty hush hush about.
There is actually supposed to be a multiplayer revolving around this concept as well.

There's this whole theme about "connections" that they have been pretty hush hush about.
There is actually supposed to be a multiplayer revolving around this concept as well.

The multiplayer component is most likely the main reason why this game is shrouded in secrecy and taking so long to develop. The concept related to it sounds ambitious to say the least and will require an immense amount of work to pull off in terms of the standards that Kojima would want it to be. He said in the article that he will not release the game until it passes his own set of quality standards.

AlexxKidd

Silly man, you've fallen into the trap of what Kojima wants you to think. Death Stranding will almost certainly be a an arcade style gardening simulator with stealth elements. You must think three steps ahead of Kojima.

Shifty

Silly man, you've fallen into the trap of what Kojima wants you to think. Death Stranding will almost certainly be a an arcade style gardening simulator with stealth elements. You must think three steps ahead of Kojima.
Tactical Gardening Action

That's certainly a new one

Airbus Jr

Banned
Did a what game do you want most poll recently between Ghost of Tsushima vs Death Stranding vs The Last of Us II and Death Stranding win the poll

But here everyone seems to hate the game so im getting confused

Last edited:

CuNi

A new trailer is dropping in a month or so

Others would post such pictures a few days or so before release because they would mark the end of like animation or recording etc but knowing Kojima, that means they just started doing that or Kojima did a wrong turn and ended up in a Studio and is like Ralph, laughing while saying "I'm in danger"

Mista

Banned
Others would post such pictures a few days or so before release because they would mark the end of like animation or recording etc but knowing Kojima, that means they just started doing that or Kojima did a wrong turn and ended up in a Studio and is like Ralph, laughing while saying "I'm in danger"
Exactly😂

TheBoss1

is kojima aware that his shtick got kinda old somewhere around mgs4, i really hope the game play in this is good

:(
His games typically have excellent gameplay, so I'm not worried on that front one bit. It's the story that I'm worried about. If it's anything near MGS4's story, I will be concerned.

CloudSolace

I wish I knew more about Death Stranding. It just seems like such a weird game. I don't know what to make of it. I'm sure the final product will be great, but I'd love to know what the gameplay is going to be like.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
we know pretty much nothing about it and yet everyone is getting hyped up. to be honest it could be awful and it'll still get praised to no end. the gameplay loop might be fun but the story will be all over the shop. it's like he just makes shit up as he goes and gets away with it because his rabid fans will just be like "you can't comprehend his magnificence. he is so deep!".

i don't know i might pick the game up. who knows it could be enjoyable. i'm just dreading everybody and their cat/dog no doubt saying it'll be some kind of masterpiece and that he is some kind of gaming god. :messenger_weary:

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

If he ever finds a way to talk about this game without smelling his own farts, I’ll look up.

Until then it’s just the same shit he’s done since forever.

Top Bottom