• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

MiguelItUp

I never thought a game would make me care about a virtual baby, but this one sure does so far.
In such a good way too! I was honestly a bit concerned that it was going to feel like a chore, but it doesn't. Instead, it leaves you with this feeling that you really care about BB and just want to make sure it's doing alright.

I wanted to add in all of the positive posts I've said about the game, have any of you seen MULEs trip yet? I fucking ADORE that. Between people finding out you can pee on BTs, enemies/MULEs can be just as affected by the environment as you can, etc. It's so good! There's SO many details in this game, and I know it's only going to get more and more detailed as time goes and as we play more of it. I just realized that on your inventory/cargo screen the circle below your character model shows your center of gravity. HOW'D I NOT NOTICE THAT EARLIER?! 👀

Roni

Gold Member
Well, I'm honestly enjoying this game A LOT.

But, it's not with a sad aftertaste which is likely to come.

The thing is, after I finish it, I'm 1 experience richer BUT it's a hollow one for 1 simple reason...
It will be YEARS before something as special as this comes along again and it's back to the established IP's.....

This is part of Kojima's brilliant game design skills: he designs experiences, not simply gameplay. That way you can keep playing Death Stranding in a meaningful capacity until another one comes out. I'd been playing MGSV on and off since 2015 until last week when this came out.

Jtibh

Banned
Ok so on the right side of the screen in the menu or map screen like around the edge i see some red isons and some other stuff but its cut off.
No matter how i adjust my sxreen size i cant see it in full.

Anyone can comment on this?

Nymphae

Banned
Ok so on the right side of the screen in the menu or map screen like around the edge i see some red isons and some other stuff but its cut off.

Press right or left on the dpad, it should focus over to the stuff on the edges.

Robhimself

I haven't played it yet. But was it random or scripted? I'd love to see that.
Scripted, it was in a cutscene. It was kinda like that Naked Gun stuff. The focus wasnt't on BB, but it was clear. :D
It;s the cutscene where you get BB back from Deadman. Deadman says theat you're bonding and just as Sam turns away, you can see BB giving Deadman the finger :D

Nymphae

Banned
Nah it doesnt. Cant take a pic right now butbits outside the borders of the map screen

You mean like this stuff out on the right?

gameplay-details-in-death-stranding16-1568749614921.png

Now I can't remember how to access it, I thought it was just dpad presses, maybe it's L1/R1, I think it's just info about the current orders, like a list of potential hazards and such.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
You mean like this stuff out on the right?

gameplay-details-in-death-stranding16-1568749614921.png

Now I can't remember how to access it, I thought it was just dpad presses, maybe it's L1/R1, I think it's just info about the current orders, like a list of potential hazards and such.
Yes the right side. Red icon ladder icon yes

Nymphae

Banned
Yes the right side. Red icon ladder icon yes

I believe all of that information is available on the Order screen when you are about to accept the order and are reading the information, in that image you can see it says open menu with a left dpad press, that opens a side menu of those white icons, then you can select orders and probably see this info. It's hard for me to remember exactly without having the game in front of me though.

Psykodad

Banned
I thought the same, to be honest. But after reaching Chapter 3, this suddenly changed.
Once I was surrounded by several MULEs, they just kept spamming their electric rods at me, causing me to fail badly and lose all my stuff.
Got easier with some new equipment, but you still have to be very cautious.
I was talking about chapter 3.
that camp where you need to get that stuff from the postbox, I just let the truck come up to me and beat the crap out of all the MULEs. Then I walked to the camp and beat the crap out of all of them.
Lost my balance twice, I could just quickly grab all my stuff and continue punching.

Then later I ran into a group of them who were checking my truck after I had parked it for a bit and easily beat the crap out of 5 or 6 of them.

Absolutely loving the game. My biggest complaint is not knowing how much weight a truck can hold. I've spent what felt like hours this weekend putting stuff in the truck,hitting the weight limit,dropping 1 or two items,weight limit,drop another item,etc.

When you load something you can see some bars feeling up.

I don't think the truck has a weight limit, but a space limit.

Jtibh

Banned
I believe all of that information is available on the Order screen when you are about to accept the order and are reading the information, in that image you can see it says open menu with a left dpad press, that opens a side menu of those white icons, then you can select orders and probably see this info. It's hard for me to remember exactly without having the game in front of me though.
Ok i will play with it later.
Still a design flaw to show a cut off information like the picture ratio is off or something.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Holly shit. The terrain actually changes overtime. If you don't use a path it disappears and if players follow the same path it became a dirty road.

This game is insane

I actually just noticed this late last night when I got the bike for the first time. A hill area near the West Outpost had small rocks everywhere which made it tricky to get to on the bike, then some rocks were gone when I went back and was able to cruise right up to it.

Glad I wasn't going crazy, lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely loving the game. My biggest complaint is not knowing how much weight a truck can hold. I've spent what felt like hours this weekend putting stuff in the truck,hitting the weight limit,dropping 1 or two items,weight limit,drop another item,etc.

Same! That interface could be a lot better. I was planning on loading up a truck with a bunch of materials from a MULE camp and driving around to nearby constructions to help build them, but the trial and error to figure out how much I could load while still being able to get in the truck was kind of annoying.

Roni

Gold Member
I actually just noticed this late last night when I got the bike for the first time. A hill area near the West Outpost had small rocks everywhere which made it tricky to get to on the bike, then some rocks were gone when I went back and was able to cruise right up to it.

Oh, wow. For real...? I'm gonna be playing this game forever it seems.

Last edited:

zeioIIDX

I really wanna buy this but I'm still taking my sweet-ass time with Control (the world of Control is fucking astonishing, I'm so immersed in it especially as a huge fan of The X-Files and House of Leaves). Anyway, this thread is getting me more and more hyped by the day so I think I need to grab Death Stranding next time I get paid. Maybe I'll have Control beaten by then, heh.

Last edited:

Wink

Same! That interface could be a lot better. I was planning on loading up a truck with a bunch of materials from a MULE camp and driving around to nearby constructions to help build them, but the trial and error to figure out how much I could load while still being able to get in the truck was kind of annoying.
Yeah it is, but for clarity's sake, you can load the truck until it's full, keep everything attached to Sam's suit where it is and have a backpack of stuff, but just the backpack, not what is stacked on top, so that would be the equivalent of 4 medium containers. Sam will put that on the passenger's seat. If it's stacked any higher and the cargo bay is full he won't enter.

Vol5

It's an incredible state of affairs when this game causes you to stop vaping for hours because your so utterly involved and don't want to detach from the game world.

Wink

Holly shit. The terrain actually changes overtime. If you don't use a path it disappears and if players follow the same path it became a dirty road.

This game is insane

Oh, wow. For real...? I'm gonna be playing this game forever it seems.
It's not only the path you yourself travel, it also happens if people online travel along the same path a lot as well. Edit: Just noticed SLB pretty much said the same.

It's an incredible state of affairs when this game causes you to stop vaping for hours because your so utterly involved and don't want to detach from the game world.
You don't have to detach for that even. The game accounts for it with the mechanic of having Sam rest or have a nap while you can enjoy the view.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it is, but for clarity's sake, you can load the truck until it's full, keep everything attached to Sam's suit where it is and have a backpack of stuff, but just the backpack, not what is stacked on top, so that would be the equivalent of 4 medium containers. Sam will put that on the passenger's seat. If it's stacked any higher and the cargo bay is full he won't enter.

Thanks! That's good to keep in mind for next time.

Tipton32

Been reading this and the review thread and I’ve never been so unsure about purchasing a game as I have been with Death Stranding. This thread sold me on the game and then some of the more negative comments in the review thread make me second guess myself. I just really don’t know anymore. Money is a little tight on my end so I’d hate to spend 60 bucks on this and possibly end up hating it.

Nymphae

Banned
Only 2 minor things have taken me out of the experience so far - the Monster energy drinks, and the "Ride with Norman Reedus" ad that is visible on the glass when you take a shit (?)

I can understand the Monster drinks to a degree, even though it feels very out of place, but what's with the AMC ad?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Been reading this and the review thread and I’ve never been so unsure about purchasing a game as I have been with Death Stranding. This thread sold me on the game and then some of the more negative comments in the review thread make me second guess myself. I just really don’t know anymore. Money is a little tight on my end so I’d hate to spend 60 bucks on this and possibly end up hating it.

Try renting. It’s apparently a long game, so you won’t hurt anything by dipping your toe in first.

Alternatively, although the experience is a little different playing it, try watching a bit of a playthrough on YouTube, see what you think.

SLB1904

Banned
negative reviews are pretty much wrong.
this game is not what they review.

the goal of this game is literally to connect the country

sounds boring but the things happening in between it makes it crazy.

people were playing like uncharted
running jumping and than blaming the game whenn they fall with their faces on the dirty

you have to play like u saw in the trailers.
take your time

im 30 hours chapter 3 and 3 star porter

For a game about planning routes the mapping is horrendous. It's way too difficult to plot a route, you can barely make out elevation and have to tilt the controller for a slight view of it. Can't rotate either? But we can 3d print a fing bridge in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
im 30 hours chapter 3 and 3 star porter

Took me 25 hours to reach
Port Knot City
. Not even complaining, had a blast in those 25 hours.... Sank another 15 hours to reach the
weather station

I think the completely open-world, non-linear part is just starting now!

Last edited:

Wink

For a game about planning routes the mapping is horrendous. It's way too difficult to plot a route, you can barely make out elevation and have to tilt the controller for a slight view of it. Can't rotate either? But we can 3d print a fing bridge in the middle of nowhere.
I agree with the rotating, but the map shouldn't do everything for the player. If it was a perfectly detailed representation with overlays for elevation and everything it would amount to the same thing other open world games come to. Soon as you plot it you the just follow the drawn line. But instead you gotta keep an eye out in the game world as well, occassionally recheck your route. It adds more gameplay elements that would be missing otherwise.

On a related note, I can't imagine rushing this game. Half the enjoyment comes from making paths, building them out to accomodate yourself and others. Even getting stuck on a bad route, having to retrace your steps a bit, chilling at a timefall shelter and listening to some music for a minute. It all adds to the immersion.

Last edited:

nowhat

Wait what?! That is awesome.
It's a feature of Decima - roads and paths can be drawn in real time (or rather, changed) and the surrounding areas adjust themselves accordingly. It's quite a technological marvel.

But the fact that this feature is used here is just fucking amazing. I thought I had played for too long last night when I noticed this, glad it wasn't just sleep deprivation.

SLB1904

Banned
just assume every change in colour means different terrain. i generally follow the coordinates, if the mission is north i just keep going north and dodging every obstacle. one thing i learn in this game is there is always an easy way, you just need to look around.
even one example is the bts, i dont scan anymore. you just need to move on the opposite direction of the radar is pointing

Roni

Gold Member

Tap right on the D-Pad, does it help?

alienator

10 hours in, chapter 2, got the bike and stuff pulling wheelies everywhere, saw what those blood grenades could do.. and
now when im entering BT territory, i just let them grab me and drag me under the mud, fight the (dolhin) "boss" with a barrage of blood grenades and clear the whole area of BT's ... (please tell me this has not an negative effects in the game ;p ) whole area covered in dead fish and tons of yellow gold stuff... but im playing on hard, the boss can one shot u , and then when u return from the underwater scene the whole area is one big crater? wtf? i reloaded my save after dying to that ;c

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
Longtime lurker made an account just to discuss this game.

One question right now, do you ever get to build roads in the first area of the game?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Do vehicles degrade and break down? It looks like this truck I have is getting all rusty and dirty as I drive through the rain, but I can't seem to see any measure of how much health/durability it has left. Can the spray help fix it?

Do vehicles degrade and break down? It looks like this truck I have is getting all rusty and dirty as I drive through the rain, but I can't seem to see any measure of how much health/durability it has left. Can the spray help fix it?
Timefall (rain) will damage vehicles over time. You can park vehicles in the garage to fix it. But as far as i know trucks you steal from the mules can't be repaired.
Spray only works on cargo.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Yeah, vehicles will degrade with exposure to Timefall. You'll receive a notification of vehicles you own as they hit different degradation levels, and they'll get completely rusted out toward the end. You need to garage them to restore the condition (place a vehicle on the circular platform you take to a private room in a city or large location, select garage from the terminal).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, vehicles will degrade with exposure to Timefall. You'll receive a notification of vehicles you own as they hit different degradation levels, and they'll get completely rusted out toward the end. You need to garage them to restore the condition (place a vehicle on the circular platform you take to a private room in a city or large location, select garage from the terminal).

Thanks!

Timefall (rain) will damage vehicles over time. You can park vehicles in the garage to fix it. But as far as i know trucks you steal from the mules can't be repaired.
Spray only works on cargo.

Doh! The truck I've been using was stolen from the MULES and I can't garage it. I guess I'll just go steal another one! I love raiding those goofy bastards' camps.

Last edited by a moderator:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I got feeling someone told Kojima he couldn't make an epic game using a postman as the main character as a joke.
Kojima was like
giphy.gif

Seriously I don't know what the negative reviews played but it wasn't Death Stranding, the game is amazing.

Roni

Gold Member
Longtime lurker made an account just to discuss this game.

One question right now, do you ever get to build roads in the first area of the game?

Not sure if the auto-pavers are player built or player maintained?

Top Bottom