• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

GHG

Gold Member
Goddamn I spent the entire evening raiding a camp, taking all their shit, loading it onto their truck, stealing their truck and then driving it back to my safe house.

Finally pulled myself back in to get on track with the story.

Lmao I did the same thing.last night. Spent the only hour I had with the game raiding mule camps for ceramics and metal needed to complete roads.

So satisfying to sneak in unseen, steal all their shit and then load up their truck with it to drive off with it all.

I'm the worst kind of thief.

Bryank75

Banned
I was thinking the same until I got grenades and access to the bike. It should get even better after that. (just reached chap 3)
And it gets way better again after that.... you get almost every type of weapon. Only thing I have not seen is a sniper...

imsosleepy

can someone explain to me how to get grenades 0-2. i know about the bathroom but how do i actually get the grenades in my inventory? i dont see any options and i was told i have access to them now.

when you press -> on the Dpad you get this menu where you have your ladders, ropes etc. But there is another button or something to get to a second menu. I had trouble with this at first to!

imsosleepy

Lmao I did the same thing.last night. Spent the only hour I had with the game raiding mule camps for ceramics and metal needed to complete roads.

So satisfying to sneak in unseen, steal all their shit and then load up their truck with it to drive off with it all.

I'm the worst kind of thief.
I think reviewers never did anything of this :/ sounds hilariously fun! CAnt wait to get to that part

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Well i had no chance to play today and for the next few days but all day long this game was in my head.
Imagining myself walking up to the tea house at lake louise listening to patience from low roar . I must say this game is having an impact on me.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Blah, what a nightmare. Tried to shortcut through an area to get through a timefall quickly, didn’t realize how vertical it was, desperately trying to climb the thing, and... fell like forty feet to the ground. Instant ded.

Came back to life, for the most dense, terrifying field of BTs ever, my cargo disintegrating, because never mind the cargo at that point. : P

I finally almost make it clear, when they see me, and I get the most brutal pool of them pulling at me yet, going under for the first time, and... well, you know what happens. Don’t want to spoil for anyone.

My Sam is just collapsed in a field resting (such a nice, realistic touch), and frankly, I need it too. Nothing left to deliver. Almost no stamina left. Half dead. All this, and I had to take on a bandit camp before it all with nothing but fists and a rope.

The intensity this game can reach.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I think reviewers never did anything of this :/ sounds hilariously fun! CAnt wait to get to that part

The reviewers who did like the game (skill up and yongyea) talked about this kind of stuff whereas those who didn't like the game didn't even mention it.

Make of that what you will.

Bryank75

Banned
The same people who loved everything about MGSV, said the animations were excellent and the gunplay etc are criticizing it in Death Stranding. They are almost the exact same...made by the same guy, maybe just more refined.

I really hope Sony buy CDPR, just to see the narratives change from 'amazing writing and side quests' to 'boring gameplay, terrible animations and the magic was useless' (Witcher 3)

Keihart

Can't stop playing, i got every bunker to max stars before departing port knot, i just can't leave that shit unfinished. Once i understood how to use the bike for offroad traveling, i'm constantly improving my routes between destinations, the only place i keep having trouble with the bike in the Knot City is the Wind plant, getting out of that hole with a loaded bike is fucking hell.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
can someone explain to me how to get grenades 0-2. i know about the bathroom but how do i actually get the grenades in my inventory? i dont see any options and i was told i have access to them now.
They’re in your private locker. If you pick them up and still don’t see them, hold the right d-pad and keep clicking R3 till you find them

Holdfing

What a fight! Not the giant, but Higgs after it. This is what that kooky Kojima does best. This is what was missing in MGSV. Shame it wasn't very challenging. Although Higgs said no respawns here, so maybe it triggers a bad ending? Or would just had to hard load a previous save?

In any event loved it.

Psykodad

Banned
The reviewers who did like the game (skill up and yongyea) talked about this kind of stuff whereas those who didn't like the game didn't even mention it.

Make of that what you will.
Tbh, they did mess up this aspect because sneaking is unnecessary.
Run in, knock em all out and you can casually plunder their camps because they won't respawn for the next few hours.

And when fighting, you can just spam the square button as other enemies just wait til you're done spamming at one guy, at which point you have more than enough time to dodge the next guy's attack and repeat this until you beat them all.

Hope this gets more challenging from chapter 4 and up, because as amazing as this game is, MULEs are just a joke.

Edit: Hard difficulty btw.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
My server is probably full of assholes, nobody who make highway or other usefull structures, just a shitton of useless guard towers...

Also motorcycle in this game is one of the worst i ever drove in any vg ever, who the fuck betatested this thing?

Mista

Banned
My server is probably full of assholes, nobody who make highway or other usefull structures, just a shitton of useless guard towers...

Also motorcycle in this game is one of the worst i ever drove in any vg ever, who the fuck betatested this thing?
Damn you’re unlucky then. Also I don’t have any problems with the bike

-Arcadia-

Banned
Run in, knock em all out and you can casually plunder their camps because they won't respawn for the next few hours.

And when fighting, you can just spam the square button as other enemies just wait til you're done spamming at one guy, at which point you have more than enough time to dodge the next guy's attack and repeat this until you beat them all.

Hope this gets more challenging from chapter 4 and up, because as amazing as this game is, MULEs are just a joke.

I think they do evolve in difficulty? Or maybe the difficulty depends on location.

I absolutely wasted the first camp I raided, twice to boot. Tried to do it a third time in a different area, and the combat changed significantly. They started throwing spears at me, attacking in groups, hitting me when I was punching one of them, smashing me so hard cargo fell off, etc.

They ended up actually taking me out. I had to go back and be very careful to clear them out, to the point, where I was like, ‘Okay, yeah, stealth would have been easier.’

ghairat

Are the side mission timed or can I attempt them at a later time? I am still at chapter 2 I guess and on my way to Port knot city and Die Hardman said that I should attempt to make some side deliveries before going there

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think they do evolve in difficulty? Or maybe the difficulty depends on location.

I absolutely wasted the first camp I raided, twice to boot. Tried to do it a third time in a different area, and the combat changed significantly. They started throwing spears at me, attacking in groups, hitting me when I was punching one of them, smashing me so hard cargo fell off, etc.

They ended up actually taking me out. I had to go back and be very careful to clear them out, to the point, where I was like, ‘Okay, yeah, stealth would have been easier.’
They use the same tactics since beginning, you are just lucky.
The combat become trivial when you get the bola guns, take always 2 with you and you have 28 round, more than enough to destroy an entire mule base from far away.
If you wanna stealth them, Just leave your shit outside of their base with triangle (long press).

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

I use the bike for everything, you can get it to do unbelievable things. Especially when the mountains get very high with deep snow....

GHG

Gold Member

Agreed, but granted I'm only on the third act so don't know if they get more difficult as you progress. But if I get spotted there's little consequence since my level 3 gear gets me out of trouble.

Are the side mission timed or can I attempt them at a later time? I am still at chapter 2 I guess and on my way to Port knot city and Die Hardman said that I should attempt to make some side deliveries before going there

Ignore him. Focus on the main story missions and get to act 3.

You can return at a later date and the new gear you get during act 3 will make traversing the first map much easier.

Bryank75

Banned
Agreed, but granted I'm only on the third act so don't know if they get more difficult as you progress. But if I get spotted there's little consequence since my level 3 gear gets me out of trouble.

Ignore him. Focus on the main story missions and get to act 3.

You can return at a later date and the new gear you get during act 3 will make traversing the first map much easier.
Yeah, they get harder. But not by too much.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The same people who loved everything about MGSV, said the animations were excellent and the gunplay etc are criticizing it in Death Stranding. They are almost the exact same...made by the same guy, maybe just more refined.

I really hope Sony buy CDPR, just to see the narratives change from 'amazing writing and side quests' to 'boring gameplay, terrible animations and the magic was useless' (Witcher 3)

Although I wouldn't want Sony to buy CDPR, I agree with the sentiment.

If you want another example go to any random PUBG stream at any given moment. It's 90% people walking/riding around an empty barren map or camping waiting for shootbang to happen yet nobody calls that a "boring walking simulator" (ironically that's part of the reason why fortnite became more popular - it's faster paced and you can build shit during the downtime between battles - you can always do something). Skyrim is the same if you don't trivialise the game by fast travelling from quest marker to quest marker.

It's been interesting to witness how things have been framed regarding this game in the last few weeks.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
This game is fucking weird but I'm addicted and having a great time with it. I cannot possibly fathom how Giant Bomb gave this a 2/5.

It kinda made me see them more for what they are tbh. I really like Jeff and Brad, especially since I'm an older gamer too and I like how jaded Jeff can be... but in the end, these are people that have never seen an art movie in their lives and like wrestling. And now with the millenials praising stuff they lack context for (I'm guessing Dream Daddy was the first VN that Abby ever played?) it's becoming harder to take the time to enjoy their output.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

This game is great. I hope that not too many people who might enjoy it stay away, because of the many negative comments and bad reviews. From a technical and cinematic standpoint, this game is really good! I love the freedom it gives you to approach every delivery or situation as you find fitting. But this freedom is not for everyone. If you want constant action with shooting galleries lined up level after level, this is not for you. I love trekking, mountains and nature. Standing on top of a mountain in the alps, after hours of walking different terrain, is incredible in real. The game is great at mirroring those feelings and show how hard it is.
When the Mountainier sends you on a hike into the blizzard on the next mountain! That was insane!
Getting from point a to b is not just a long slog of pressing the analog stick forward. No, you have to pay attention most of the journey. Small rocks make you trip, mules want your cargo and your ass, BTs are there to pull you into the darkness. One mistake on a bigger rock and you fall and break your valuable cargo. And if you want to reach your destinations faster, you just take a bike or a truck. But you miss out on the great views a bit. I tend to mix it up.

I love the concept of connecting the country as a common goal for all players. I am spamming every useful vehicle or play build object with likes every time. It surprises me how grateful I am, when someone left a rope or ladder at the right spot. And to see how similar many players plan their routes like me. Nobody cares that I am a white 30 year old male from central Europe. People of every color, gender, age and origin connect a country again after such devastation. Many like myself don’t identify with the US, but that somehow doesn’t matter. All the talk about connecting and against walls sounds like soapy crap, but it is incredible how people work together so smoothly. But not you, who build a bridge over nothing on a flat part of the landscape!

I can’t stop playing around with all the gear you have at your disposal. At no point is it unclear where to go or what to do. Sometimes an e-mail or an NPC directly tells you, if there is some uncertainty. I only wish there would be a patch to skip some cut-scenes easier. And I really dig BB. Expecting myself one in 6 months, I just can’t wait. But I don’t think that my wife will allow me to take it on a journey like Sam does.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Only issue I really have is invisible rocks and bumps for no apparent reason.... but I do take it to very unusual places.
Yeah that's one of the problem, the bike stops at random with 2 cm high rocks, and it just stops in a very unrealistic way.

Yeasterday i tried for half an hour to make a fucking simple 2 mt jump from a cliff to another but i got frustrated because there was alwaus some tiny rocks in the way who completely destroy the momentum.

I jumped the fucking cliff on foot in 10 sec with the power legs and a double jump, i'm not gonna use that fucking bike never again in nothing but perfectly flat surface...

Yeah im tapping out now.......played it for around 16 hours and really running out of reasons to keep playing
im off to youtube to watch the rest of the story

Please dont let him direct another game.....his idea is a great one but its surrounded by soooo much crap

imsosleepy

fuuuuuck.. Just lost hours upon hours of gameplay.. I already had the cargo loaded for the mission to do the long hike from chapter 2 to 3. But then when I finally arived over there i was missing 1 of 4 items.. Kept going back to loads and on most of them I stil was missing 1 of the 4 items.. fuck me

imsosleepy

Yeah im tapping out now.......played it for around 16 hours and really running out of reasons to keep playing
im off to youtube to watch the rest of the story

Please dont let him direct another game.....his idea is a great one but its surrounded by soooo much crap
maybe you find it crap, just dont play it then, just quit the fucking game. I get it, this game really is not for everyone. But that does not mean he needs to stop making another games. wtf you smoking dude? You may not like it but its a fucking good game. no bugs, no microtransactions, great story, big good cutscenes. graphics are insane, loads and loads of gameplay mechanics that you may not like but there are stil loads of them in this game

Shrap

Alright, so I just helped out the junk dealer and transported the chiral artist back to him. What's the deal with her voice actor? She is absolutely awful. Her English is really bad (she has all of the unintentionally humourous mispronunciations that Japanese people have when they start learning English) and is obviously just straight reading her lines without knowing what they mean. Really ruins what is supposed to be an emotional moment; especially when the junk dealer has a great VA. It felt completely out of place when the casting has been so good so far.

Other than that still ripping it up building, delivering and punching out MULEs. What a game.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

maybe you find it crap, just dont play it then, just quit the fucking game. I get it, this game really is not for everyone. But that does not mean he needs to stop making another games. wtf you smoking dude? You may not like it but its a fucking good game. no bugs, no microtransactions, great story, big good cutscenes. graphics are insane, loads and loads of gameplay mechanics that you may not like but there are stil loads of them in this game

I think the beginning can be extremely hard, when you are a completionist and want to collect / deliver everything first. It gave me a big relieve to read that you can go leave from Port Knot, knowing that I can come back again to get all the gear.

Even as I really like the game, I dont want to complete all deliveries and first finish the story. Many say that you can complete everything after the Endgame.

Holdfing

Alright, so I just helped out the junk dealer and transported the chiral artist back to him. What's the deal with her voice actor? She is absolutely awful. Her English is really bad (she has all of the unintentionally humourous mispronunciations that Japanese people have when they start learning English) and is obviously just straight reading her lines without knowing what they mean. Really ruins what is supposed to be an emotional moment; especially when the junk dealer has a great VA. It felt completely out of place when the casting has been so good so far.

Other than that still ripping it up building, delivering and punching out MULEs. What a game.

She's probably someone big in Japan, a friend/family of KojiPro staff, or won the role in a raffle or something. I agree, that part was soooo bad.

LokusAbriss

Wait for his e-mails in the coming hours. His happyness fades away pretty fast. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

KOMANI

KOMANI
She's probably someone big in Japan, a friend/family of KojiPro staff, or won the role in a raffle or something. I agree, that part was soooo bad.

15-16 min into

Last edited:

Arozay

I'm mixed on the game. I'm enjoying parts the game for what it is but I also find it hilarious that all the marketing and Kojima hype is going to lure a lot of people into a fairly niche FedEX QWOP game.

I am starting to notice the Kojima celebrity voice acting curse come into it though, You'll get into an argument with a prepper, and then make them come around without even saying a word, very budget effective.

treemk

Banned
The sandbox aspect of this game is just incredible and my time just disappears. Went to a new spot last night and added them to the network, I was chased by some MULEs on the way in, so after completing my deliveries i went back to steal their truck and recover all of their stolen cargo. Ended up using the truck to go back and forth for deliveries a few times and what was previously nearly impassable terrain had turned into a nice dirt road. Someone setup a couple of generators on the way and I added in a timefall shelter to make the process seamless and completely safe for the cargo. The timefall shelter is really nice with the truck because you can just stop underneath it and it will repair everything.

Top Bottom