• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

-Arcadia-

Banned
Like MGSV’s side missions, I need to stop doing random package grunt work, lol.

They’re there, and they’re cool, if you’re already heading some place with a purpose. On their own for any sustained amount of time? Ehhh. The game flows better when you’re uncovering bits of the story inbetween deliveries, having new elements introduced, etc.

That said, I am a little proud (but maybe also not proud :messenger_tears_of_joy:) of spending hours trying to deliver and make a dent in the massive overflow of people’s lost and halfway delivered packages. It feels like being part of a community effort, and helping, with this odd satisfaction to it.

Last edited:

Filth

can someone explain to me how to get grenades 0-2. i know about the bathroom but how do i actually get the grenades in my inventory? i dont see any options and i was told i have access to them now.

Nymphae

Banned
Ok i will play with it later.
Still a design flaw to show a cut off information like the picture ratio is off or something.

Playing now, and it's exactly what I first thought. I loaded my game, and was in a distro center with no active Orders. I hit Options to access the Cuff menu, and the icons you are talking about on the right are not there. Pressing Right on the Dpad here opens the right side menu, with nothing in it. Pressing Left on the Dpad will open the left menu, with the little white box icons in a vertical list.

I exited the Cuff menu, accepted an order from the Distro terminal, then went back into the Cuff menu. I can now see the red icons on the right, slightly hidden. Pressing Right on the Dpad brings up the right side menu again, but now you have Order details.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Playing now, and it's exactly what I first thought. I loaded my game, and was in a distro center with no active Orders. I hit Options to access the Cuff menu, and the icons you are talking about on the right are not there. Pressing Right on the Dpad here opens the right side menu, with nothing in it. Pressing Left on the Dpad will open the left menu, with the little white box icons in a vertical list.

I exited the Cuff menu, accepted an order from the Distro terminal, then went back into the Cuff menu. I can now see the red icons on the right, slightly hidden. Pressing Right on the Dpad brings up the right side menu again, but now you have Order details.
Thank you soo much.

I will test it tonight.
Yeah some things are not really explained.
Like holding the option button to build a bridge.

Thanks again

-Arcadia-

Banned
BTW how can I post spoiler? Not a real spoiler, but I just found a playstation easter egg

Here’s an example. Do this without spaces.

[ spoiler ]Whatever text or picture you want to put here.
[ /spoiler ]

Finished result:

Whatever text or picture you want to put here.

shaddam

Thanks. So it is a playstation easter egg. Nothing real spoiler. I dont know if I was lucky or everybody can find it
jlThOhr.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I have never understood Kojima's fascination with allowing you to move and zoom the camera during cinematics, in a cripplingly limited and awkward manner. I remember this first appearing in MGS2 I think, and it would seem he still likes this for some unknown reason.

Like it lets you move the camera around a few degrees from the main action, which is already perfectly framed, and very rarely is anything more interesting happening on the sidelines. But even if there were, you can only pan very slightly, and if you want to zoom, you're restricted to one zoom level which is activated by clicking a stick, and makes the panning/framing difficult.

I can't for the life of me figure out why he likes this so much, when he is clearly unbelievably skilled at putting together awesome looking scenes that require no involvement from me as a camera man.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I have never understood Kojima's fascination with allowing you to move and zoom the camera during cinematics, in a cripplingly limited and awkward manner. I remember this first appearing in MGS2 I think, and it would seem he still likes this for some unknown reason.

Like it lets you move the camera around a few degrees from the main action, which is already perfectly framed, and very rarely is anything more interesting happening on the sidelines. But even if there were, you can only pan very slightly, and if you want to zoom, you're restricted to one zoom level which is activated by clicking a stick, and makes the panning/framing difficult.

I can't for the life of me figure out why he likes this so much, when he is clearly unbelievably skilled at putting together awesome looking scenes that require no involvement from me as a camera man.

It was utilized well in MGS3 to ogle Eva's cleavage and in a few other spots. Otherwise it's just to demonstrate that the cutscenes are realtime and not in-engine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

To show the haters that it’s running in real time.? Every piece of gear, every scuff, no matter what you equip will show in the cut scene in real time.

Most games are all pre-rendered or pre-recorded with generic gear, etc., and its always been a slightly jarring pet peeve of mine.

I appreciate real time scenes, like God of War as well. Keeps the immersion.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
To show the haters that it’s running in real time.? Every piece of gear, every scuff, no matter what you equip will show in the cut scene in real time.

Most games are all pre-rendered or pre-recorded with generic gear, etc., and its always been a slightly jarring pet peeve of mine.

I just find it really odd because the tools only seem capable of allowing you to ruin a perfectly framed and composed shot lol. It's the most awkward and jank camera control. There must be some little use for it somewhere though.

Terenty

Just where the pavers are, they take a lot of resources and need to be maintained.

That's a shame i thought you could really change the landscape with different infrastructure

And pavers cover only a small stretch of a road right?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
That's a shame i thought you could really change the landscape with different infrastructure

And pavers cover only a small stretch of a road right?
Each one covers a fairly long stretch, it really makes the game a lot faster. You can go top speed on the bike on them.

rofif

Banned
I am at a very late game I feel but I am putting it down today (almost 1am here and work tomorrow) just to be left with whole episode for tomorrow if its the last one as it feels... And because of work.
I am 30yo - game my whole life, I only like to play sp games. My fav genre since 2011 is probably soulsborne... I was awaiting this game because trailers were great. I took release friday off and this monday was a national holiday.
So I've done what Ive not done in a while. I gamed for 4 days 10 or more hours per session. Not even turned my pc on for this whole time.
The game never gets boring. It is addicting gameplay and story wise. It is impossible to put it down. Everything is perfect. Even clunky bike physics are actually reacting to every smalles rock. The mp component is very clever, the gameplay loop is great... Usually even best games get a bit boring and repetitive towards the end even if those are shorter up to 10h games. Rdr2 last year had great characters but gameplay was a chore and story not all that i interesting really...

This game is truly phenomenal. It is a milestone only 2008 would fully appreciate. I love it and I am sad it will end! I dont want to put it down.
The only thing so far that I would improve is: the chiral artist mission which was terribly acted and for some reason a main story quest. And add some variety to outpost buildings. Would be nice to be surprised after a long trip with the look of a new building. But the trip itself is top notch with really surprising story elements and gameplay mechanics.
I know i praise the game every day after each session but maybe it's because I'm surprised and impressed. Oh and the emails are cringy garbage but kinda enduring :p

Strider7

Personally loving the game, even though the vehicles control like ass and Sam trips over pebbles. I just went up and over the snowy peak for the hell of it. God damned awesome.

Nymphae

Banned
I just discovered that you can turn on the music in your private room before you read through emails/interviews. The sound of the fluorescent lights in the room while I was reading was starting to drive me nuts and I thought I'd try that out, sure enough it works!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

I used to zoom on ass or boobs tbh.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anyone else notice it creates tons of new save files and never overwrites? The only one it overwrites is manual.

Check your save folder, I have to keep deleting the many autosaves and checkpoints.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

I love using the bike on roads and smooth terrain. Feels surprisingly great. The footage I saw before release made it look janky but that’s because certain dumb ass reviewers were trying to drive it on rough terrain that was obviously not meant to be driven on.

There are legit criticisms of this game, but a lot of reviewers remind me of that DSP guy who did those infamous MGS play throughs.

“How come I can’t drive my bike over this rockbed at full speed?”

“Why doesn’t the game give me a direct path to my destination?”

“I keep tripping and falling!”

It’s fucking hilarious, honestly.

Last edited:

Keihart

I haven't found anything in this game yet, but in MGS there used to be hidden details in some scenes that you could only notice while moving and zooming the camera....but yeah, i also think it is mostly there to show off the real time aspect of them.

Isa

So I finally jumped in and bought it, waited for my girl to get home and we'd watch and play it together. We were absolutely glued to it, as it is very well made and directed. But about 1:30 to 2 hrs in the system was crazy loud, louder than normal, and gave warnings to turn off the system during a cutscene. Then it just died. Sucks man, I've only got 1 day off every week during the holiday season and this happens. How is it too much for the Pro man. Not sure if I want to double dip on PC, I know my rig could handle it but I don't want to sink in more money. I don't want to fry my system, I guess I could wait til PS5 but I want to play now damnit. FML. I've never had a PS system that is so unreliable, from constant crashes and obnoxiously retarded fan noise. SoDisappointed.gif

Keihart

So I finally jumped in and bought it, waited for my girl to get home and we'd watch and play it together. We were absolutely glued to it, as it is very well made and directed. But about 1:30 to 2 hrs in the system was crazy loud, louder than normal, and gave warnings to turn off the system during a cutscene. Then it just died. Sucks man, I've only got 1 day off every week during the holiday season and this happens. How is it too much for the Pro man. Not sure if I want to double dip on PC, I know my rig could handle it but I don't want to sink in more money. I don't want to fry my system, I guess I could wait til PS5 but I want to play now damnit. FML. I've never had a PS system that is so unreliable, from constant crashes and obnoxiously retarded fan noise. SoDisappointed.gif
Maybe your system is too dusty, you could try open it and blowing it clean. It could work and it's not as extreme as the permanent solution of changing the thermal paste.
I'm playing it on a launch PS4, it's like a jet engine but i've never had it turn off because of temps.

-Arcadia-

Banned

That really sucks. :messenger_confused:

No solutions here, sadly, but just wanted to show some support. I had the 360 RROD on me during Halo Reach and yeah... I remember that feeling.

I’d recommend just sending it off to Sony. I haven’t heard anything about this being a widespread Pro issue (fans aside), so that’d be a lot faster than waiting until next year to play.

Reactions: Isa

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, the more I play the more incredulous I am about the more negative reviews. I mean, how joyless and jaded can someone be to reduce this experience down to "a walking simulator"?

Its saddens me, it really does because even if you don't enjoy the game it deserves huge credit for its craft, creativity and sheer uniqueness.

Isa

Thank you guys, the system itself is very clean, and when I opened it up a few months ago to check if it needed to be cleaned but it barely had anything. I'll probably try again later, and maybe pick up one of those system holders with a fan like a friend of mine has. From what I played though it was great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, the more I play the more incredulous I am about the more negative reviews. I mean, how joyless and jaded can someone be to reduce this experience down to "a walking simulator"?

Its saddens me, it really does because even if you don't enjoy the game it deserves huge credit for its craft, creativity and sheer uniqueness.

The whole "walking simulator" descriptor came about to describe games without any mechanics or systems or traditional "gameplay." Basically, interactive narrative experiences in which you explore and move or "walk" through environments and that's it. I like walking simulators, too, but it makes no sense to apply that descriptor to this game, which is insanely dense in terms of mechanics and systems.

I tried to avoid spoilers as much as possible, and when I heard people start describing the game as a walking simulator some months back, I assumed they meant that Kojima just went all in on cinematics and there was basically no gameplay. That couldn't be further from the truth...

Last edited by a moderator:

HotPocket69

Banned
Goddamn I spent the entire evening raiding a camp, taking all their shit, loading it onto their truck, stealing their truck and then driving it back to my safe house.

Finally pulled myself back in to get on track with the story.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m near the end of Ch 3. I am curious if Ch 4 is longer than Ch 3

Another thing I’m noticing is with Lisa, does it remind anyone of The Room and “You’re tearing me apart Lisa!” Lol I make that connection each time I see him now

Last edited:

Wink

37 hours in... probably time to start chapter 4. This is how long it took some people to beat the game... how can you manage not to get distracted when there are highways looming to be built and driven on, MULE lockers to be looted, premium deliveries to be aced, interviews to be read and memory sticks to be found?

Last edited:

Keihart

What a slow burn, but the mechanic ambitions to tell the story are kinda crazy.
Since i haven't seen it mentioned on the in game tips, i'm going to mention it...Have you noticed that your routes make roads?
At first i was in disbelief, but then i started looking for it everytime i had to go somewhere new, and low and behold, after trekking the same route a couple of times a dirt road was formed. What a stroke of genius really, makes the whole "connecting" part of it so much more palpable in a very subtle way.
iu

Mista

Banned
What a slow burn, but the mechanic ambitions to tell the story are kinda crazy.
Since i haven't seen it mentioned on the in game tips, i'm going to mention it...Have you noticed that your routes make roads?
At first i was in disbelief, but then i started looking for it everytime i had to go somewhere new, and low and behold, after trekking the same route a couple of times a dirt road was formed. What a stroke of genius really, makes the whole "connecting" part of it so much more palpable in a very subtle way.
iu
Yes, it’s amazing. Saved me lots of time backtracking in the mountains.

Top Bottom